'World War Z' - ('Z' for Zombie) Great read. Recommended.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

'World War Z' - ('Z' for Zombie) Great read. Recommended.

Postby HMKGrey » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:44 pm

I'm about half way through <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>World War Z</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> by Max Brooks and thought I'd mention it here as it's a great read and seems to have all kinds of intentional or accidental references to today, while being set in the very near future. <br><br>For those who don't know anything about it: <!--EZCODE ITALIC START--><em>World War Z</em><!--EZCODE ITALIC END--> is presented as an oral history of the first major outbreak of a virus which causes the recently dead to reanimate as Zombies. What follows is basically a Near Extinction Level event for mankind. It's a politically and ecologically smart allegory and great entertainment too. I don't doubt that the movie rights are being argued over at this very moment. <br><br><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.amazon.com/World-War-Oral-History-Zombie/dp/0307346609/sr=1-1/qid=1161013347/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-8886271-3987832?ie=UTF8&s=books">www.amazon.com/World-War-...F8&s=books</a><!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--> <p></p><i></i>
HMKGrey

Blog: View Blog (0)

Seconded!

Postby TroubleFunk » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:27 pm

I am having the best time with this book. The best thing about it is the Studs Terkel approach - I'm not sure it would translate as well to the screen. It's certainly well-written, though. Caveat - I'm already a zombie fiction fan. But this is awesome in its scope, and, yes, allegorical as all get-out. <p></p><i></i>
TroubleFunk

Re: Seconded!

Postby JerkyLeBoeuf » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:04 pm

When you're done with World War Z, why not give Cormac McCarthy's latest, The Road, a try? <br><br>I heartily recommend it, despite how devastating and emotionally draining it is. <p></p><i></i>
JerkyLeBoeuf

World War Z

Postby Quentin Quire » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:13 pm

Yup - a very good book. I'm a bookseller and at the moment it's my 'Staff Recommends' title in the store I work in. Very well done, and the elite plans involved to combat the zombie menace are eerily true to how you'd imagine real world governments acting.<br><br>His first book 'The Zombie Survival Manual' wasn't so great, but 'World War Z' is excellent.<br><br>The classic spoof 80's horror series 'Garth Marenghi's Darkplace' is also out on DVD today and well worth purchashing if you enjoy british comedy and spoofs of horror movie tropes.<br><br>Then again, 'Entertainment=Mind Control', so what do I know ... <p></p><i></i>
Quentin Quire

Re: World War Z

Postby streeb » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:57 pm

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Then again, 'Entertainment=Mind Control', so what do I know ...<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br><br>Only what they want you to know. Obviously. <p></p><i></i>
streeb

Return to Culture Studies