Disney's Runaway Brain

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Disney's Runaway Brain

Postby brainpanhandler » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:54 pm

Link to Disney's 1995 Animated short film, Runaway Brain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbT7lhl9 ... re=related

At 2:25 Dr. Frankenollie, voiced by Kelsey Grammer (Dr. Frasier Crane), tells Mickey, "It's not just a job, it's an adventure". That's an old US Navy recruiting slogan.

Here's the wiki:

Runaway Brain is an Academy Award nominated 7-minute animated short-subject produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation Paris, and starring Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse. It was released on August 11, 1995 attached to the feature A Kid in King Arthur's Court and was re-released on July 16, 1997 in front of Disney's live-action remake of George of the Jungle. In international theaters, it was shown preceding A Goofy Movie. The short, according to Leonard Maltin, was inspired by the 1933 Mickey Mouse short The Mad Doctor.

Plot

In the cartoon, Mickey is hooked on a video game based on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs when Minnie arrives to find that Mickey forgot their dating anniversary. Mickey comes up with a last-minute idea to take her to a miniature golf course. Showing her a newspaper, Minnie misinterprets and thinks Mickey is taking her to Hawaii, a trip that would cost $999.99. An excited Minnie skips out the door before Mickey can set her straight, causing Mickey to worry about how to earn so much money. Pluto shows his master the "help wanted" ads, and Mickey finds an ad for work with a Dr. Frankenollie (an inside joke reference to Disney animators Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston) for a day of "mindless work" that would instantly give him $999.99.

Mickey goes to the home of the simian Dr. Frankenollie (played by Kelsey Grammer of Frasier fame). When he knocks the door, Mickey gets sucked downward through a trap door into Frankenollie's laboratory, where Frankenollie plans to switch Mickey's brain with that of his monster, Julius (portrayed by perennial nemesis Black Pete). Although Dr. Frankenollie's body is destroyed in the experiment, the brain transfer is a success, with Mickey's mind ending up in Julius' giant body, and Julius finding himself in control of Mickey's body.

The dimwitted and insane Julius finds Mickey's wallet in his pocket and, finding a photo of Minnie, is instantly smitten with her. He escapes the laboratory on a hunt for Minnie, whom he finds shopping for a bathing suit. When the real Mickey (in Julius' body) shows up to save his girlfriend, Minnie screams for help and runs until Mickey convinces her of who he is. Julius continues to pursue Minnie, leading to an epic battle between the two of them ("Go get em, Mickey," cheers Minnie. "Rip his ears off!").

During the course of their battle, Julius and Mickey fall onto electric wires, which cause their minds to transfer back to their correct bodies. Although Julius is more of a threat than ever now that he is again in control of his own monstrous body, Mickey manages to subdue him and save Minnie. Julius falls from the tall building with a bungee rope, which then winds itself up and down like a yo-yo.

The closing scene of the film finds Mickey and Minnie on their way to Hawaii, with Julius providing the horsepower for their inner tube as he swims towards the same photo Mickey had in his wallet that Julius saw before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaway_Brain

Based on the blatant use of a well known US Navy recruiting slogan I examined this whole piece more closely. It is chock full of subtle naval references as well as some surpises that I haven't figured out yet. For instance, why is Mickey's losing score at the video game he is playing the same as the price of the romantic cruise to Hawaii? 99999 and $999.99. Why is that? And why the reference to the Exorcist?

Why so blatant with the US Navy recruiting slogan?

Youth Attitude Tracking Study (YATS):

RECOGNITION OF MILITARY ADVERTISING SLOGANS AMONG AMERICAN YOUTH

Wayne Hintze
Westat, Inc.

Jerry Lehnus
Defense Manpower Data Center

"Correct identification of the Navy slogan It's Not Just a Job. It’s an Adventure was highest in 1987 (31 percent, males; 21 percent, females) when it was first asked in YATS. Following this peak, recognition dropped over the next 5-6 years before rising again."

http://www.ijoa.org/imta96/paper19.html
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Disney's Runaway Brain

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:29 am

Good stuff, bph. Those ole USG boys at it as usual, recruiting and warning men away from women.

The meme that women are expensive is amped to deter young men from getting paired up and thus staying available to work for the USG in boots and camo.

A 1987 Little Golden Books story of Donald Duck in my collection has Donald running around freaking out over competing with another suitor over how much he can spend on a birthday present for Daisy Duck.
It ends with the two males booted out of the house by the female and they enjoy male bonding over a drink.

Typical Disney (CIA for kidz!)

SO for those who do hook up with an evil grasping female, the economic draft is suggested as a way to pay for that ball-and-chain bitch.

This short also minimizes the conditioning of video games.
The 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarves' story ala Disney is about gender roles where a household is comprised of men who work in the mines while the woman does the housekeeping. That's the deal and - woe, men do all the work.

> The economic burden of those 'freeloading women' is the strongest emphasis.
> The name "Julius" is a homonym for 'jewel,' as in the cost of an engagement/wedding ring.
> The trip to Hawaii is the expensive honeymoon.

How ya gonna pay for all that...soldier?

brainpanhandler wrote:.....
At 2:25 Dr. Frankenollie, voiced by Kelsey Grammer (Dr. Frasier Crane), tells Mickey, "It's not just a job, it's an adventure". That's an old US Navy recruiting slogan.

In the cartoon, Mickey is hooked on a video game based on Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs when Minnie arrives to find that Mickey forgot their dating anniversary. Mickey comes up with a last-minute idea to take her to a miniature golf course. Showing her a newspaper, Minnie misinterprets and thinks Mickey is taking her to Hawaii, a trip that would cost $999.99. An excited Minnie skips out the door before Mickey can set her straight, causing Mickey to worry about how to earn so much money.
the brain transfer is a success, with Mickey's mind ending up in Julius' giant body, and Julius finding himself in control of Mickey's body.

The dimwitted and insane Julius finds Mickey's wallet in his pocket and, finding a photo of Minnie, is instantly smitten with her. He escapes the laboratory on a hunt for Minnie, whom he finds shopping for a bathing suit. When the real Mickey (in Julius' body) shows up to save his girlfriend, Minnie screams for help and runs until Mickey convinces her of who he is. Julius continues to pursue Minnie, leading to an epic battle between the two of them ("Go get em, Mickey," cheers Minnie. "Rip his ears off!").
The closing scene of the film finds Mickey and Minnie on their way to Hawaii, with Julius providing the horsepower for their inner tube as he swims towards the same photo Mickey had in his wallet that Julius saw before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaway_Brain

Based on the blatant use of a well known US Navy recruiting slogan I examined this whole piece more closely. It is chock full of subtle naval references as well as some surpises that I haven't figured out yet. For instance, why is Mickey's losing score at the video game he is playing the same as the price of the romantic cruise to Hawaii? 99999 and $999.99. Why is that? And why the reference to the Exorcist?

Why so blatant with the US Navy recruiting slogan?

Youth Attitude Tracking Study (YATS):

RECOGNITION OF MILITARY ADVERTISING SLOGANS AMONG AMERICAN YOUTH

Wayne Hintze
Westat, Inc.

Jerry Lehnus
Defense Manpower Data Center

"Correct identification of the Navy slogan It's Not Just a Job. It’s an Adventure was highest in 1987 (31 percent, males; 21 percent, females) when it was first asked in YATS. Following this peak, recognition dropped over the next 5-6 years before rising again."

http://www.ijoa.org/imta96/paper19.html
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby brainpanhandler » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:21 am

Good stuff, bph. Those ole USG boys at it as usual, recruiting and warning men away from women.

The meme that women are expensive is amped to deter young men from getting paired up and thus staying available to work for the USG in boots and camo.

A 1987 Little Golden Books story of Donald Duck in my collection has Donald running around freaking out over competing with another suitor over how much he can spend on a birthday present for Daisy Duck.
It ends with the two males booted out of the house by the female and they enjoy male bonding over a drink.

Typical Disney (CIA for kidz!)

SO for those who do hook up with an evil grasping female, the economic draft is suggested as a way to pay for that ball-and-chain bitch.

This short also minimizes the conditioning of video games.
The 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarves' story ala Disney is about gender roles where a household is comprised of men who work in the mines while the woman does the housekeeping. That's the deal and - woe, men do all the work.

> The economic burden of those 'freeloading women' is the strongest emphasis.
> The name "Julius" is a homonym for 'jewel,' as in the cost of an engagement/wedding ring.
> The trip to Hawaii is the expensive honeymoon.

How ya gonna pay for all that...soldier?

Admittedly, the story line supports your gender contentions wrt cultural conditioning. However, it really is just as plausible that the writers and producers are simply already culturally conditioned in this way. I mean, this depiction of gender divisions and steroetypes is no different than any number of I Love Lucy or Honeymooners episodes.

You'll notice Mickey was down to playing Dopey in the video game as all the other dwarves have expired.

Mickey does seem to fit the lifestyle of the demographic I imagine the USG attempts to lure into the armed services, down to the dead plant in the corner of his living room.

I think Julius as a homonym for jewel is a bit of a stretch.

Julius represents the primitive brain. Julius' actions are entirely motivated by lust for Minnie. I thought you had explained that USG recruitment psyops aimed at getting young men to forego procreation. I thought that part of the story fit your theory well. Of course it also simply fits the explicit cultural mores of abstinence before marriage.

There's more, but I ask again, why so blatant with the US Navy recruitment slogan, Its not just a job. It's an adventure? Everything else is pretty much conjecture, but no one can deny that that slogan stands out like a beacon.

The US Navy has always used the notion that joining the navy is an adventure as a lure, including the ridiculous idea that becoming a sailor is like taking a cruise to exotic ports of call where you can find sexy natives running around in grass skirts. Runaway from your situation of being just a dopey worker making subsistence wages. The phrase, It's not just a job, it's an adventure, is just a memorable distillation of that idea.
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby brainpanhandler » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:50 pm

brainpanhandler

Postby LilyPatToo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:10 pm

There are people working to provide accurate information to potential recruits that will allow them to see the manipulation in the military recruitment activities now going on at high schools. We are not your soldiers! is sponsored by an anti-war, anti-Bu$h activist group called The World Can't Wait!.

LilyPat
LilyPatToo

Postby American Dream » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:00 pm

LilyPatToo wrote
There are people working to provide accurate information to potential recruits that will allow them to see the manipulation in the military recruitment activities now going on at high schools. We are not your soldiers! is sponsored by an anti-war, anti-Bu$h activist group called The World Can't Wait!.

No offense intended, but I want to add a caveat here. While I very much want to support progressive activism and I think counter-recruitment work is very important, in this case I want to add a caution. The World Can't Wait is very much tied to the Revolutionary Communist Party, which I would not hesitate to term a "political cult". Some call them "the Jehovah's Witnesses of the Left". I have heard, and seen, enough bad things to seriously wonder what level of government involvement exists in their activities.

So, I do urge extreme caution with these people, though I must say some of the most interesting and moral people I have ever met are ex-members of the RCP...
American Dream

Postby LilyPatToo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:24 pm

That's interesting to know--thank you, American Dream. I'm aware that a number of the groups currently advocating legal action against Bu$h and his cronies have some unsavory ties and figuring out who's who is difficult for me, just based upon their websites. That's something I count on this board to do, though--and for every instance where (IMHO) posters may have gone too far in jumping on a group's or individual's credentials, there's at least one revelation of truly unsavory ties...and some may indicate COINTELPRO meddling.

LilyPat
LilyPatToo

Postby MinM » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:17 pm

brainpanhandler wrote:
There's more, but I ask again, why so blatant with the US Navy recruitment slogan, Its not just a job. It's an adventure? Everything else is pretty much conjecture, but no one can deny that that slogan stands out like a beacon.

The US Navy has always used the notion that joining the navy is an adventure as a lure, including the ridiculous idea that becoming a sailor is like taking a cruise to exotic ports of call where you can find sexy natives running around in grass skirts. Runaway from your situation of being just a dopey worker making subsistence wages. The phrase, It's not just a job, it's an adventure, is just a memorable distillation of that idea.

Apparently the CBS Early Show is getting in on the act:
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby brainpanhandler » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:57 pm

There's really only two categories of explanation for the existence of a well known navy recruiting slogan in runaway brain.

Either it is there by design as an overt recruiting message, regardless of who or how many people made that decision

or

the phrase, It's not just a job, it's an adventure, is now such a common phrase that it was used without any recruiting intent at all.

I find the second option difficult to believe, but I think it is worth noting that the phrase, It's not just a job, it's an adventure, was probably designed to be self propagating. It stands to reason that the creators of the phrase understood that people would likely adopt it to apply to their own jobs. For instance, you're having a difficult day at work and sardonically utter, it's not just a job... In this way the phrase spreads and is repeated over and over.

If we accept the first category then what are the implications?

Certainly history suggests a linkage between Disney and the military.

http://www.disneyshorts.org/wartime/index.html

The insertion of a navy recruitment slogan seems blatant to me, but I'm looking for it.

What does this remind you of?

Steamboat Willy

brainpanhandler

Postby brainpanhandler » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:06 am

I looked and looked for the navy recruitment image this reminds me of. Alas, I couldn't find it. Maybe it's my runaway imagination.

brainpanhandler

Postby brainpanhandler » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:23 am

The makers of this film with likely no nafarious purpose at all embed a number of references to other films, cultural icons, and past disney animators.

For instance:

What if I were able to make the argument that the creators of this short are thumbing their noses at the kooky christians that believe disney studios is an extension of the devil's propaganda machine on earth?
brainpanhandler

Postby IanEye » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:20 am

brainpanhandler wrote:Image

What if I were able to make the argument that the creators of this short are thumbing their noses at the kooky christians that believe disney studios is an extension of the devil's propaganda machine on earth?

On Mother's Day 1981, I marched with my Mom in Washington DC against Nuclear Proliferation.

Take that, Reagan!

Right On, Helen Caldicott!!

That night, we watched ourselves on the evening news. We were staying with friends of my parents.

When it was time for bed, my mom went to sleep in the guest room, while i got ready to go to sleep on the pull out couch in the tv room.

The couch was pulled out into a bed, and what was on the tv that evening?
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:32 am

The Wiggles live at Madison Square Garden?
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:21 am

bph, Disney is the US government since 1939. All its product will have state-supporting memes as warrior propaganda and hostile info-jamming counterpropaganda.

The recruiting slogan, "more than a job, an adventure," is only the most obvious.

1995 is the context. There's talk about media violence and studies about video games.

1995 is when Lt. Col. David Grossman published his must read on the psychology of violence and killing, 'On Killing.'
He exposed how kids are conditioned at a very early age. Like with Disney.

But the USG uses violent media for recruiting and other social controls.
What to do?

How about turn the reality into an entertainingly distorted sci-fi horror fantasy where video game-playing Mickey's brain goes directly into a Frankenstein monster that threatens the world and womanhood?
Haw! Out of this world, man. That could never happen for real, right?

This psyops tactic of turning a reality into a fantasy version is at my local theater today, Adam Sandler in Disney's 'Bedtime Stories' with the poster motto:
"What if the stories you told came to life?"

And there are many instances of badjacketing women in 'Runaway Brain' along with the financial gender politics of "buy me buy me.'

IanEye's comment about Reagan/Regan is fortuitous. (As usual, IanEye.)

Mickey facing the house in the Exorcist is for the adults, obviously.

That movie was total anti-female psyops and loaded with contemporary politics, just like the novel which I just happen to be analyzing this week.

A girl in a bed with demons and projectile vomiting?
Gross. Gee, I'm just not feeling randy anymore.
And that novel was published in 1970, just before Reagan competed with Nixon in 1972. Wallace got shot to prevent his interference.
So the demon-filled girl named Regan is one of many contemporary subliminal framings in the original Exorcist narrative.
I was following the Berrigan brothers attempt to purge the USG of evil but now there's this other priest in this movie...etc.

So, Exorcist image as badjacketing women, not just horror, right?
Look at the last image Mickey sees when he shuts off his video game, a wicked witch zapping one of the seven dwarves. Poor little dude. Bitch.

Then there's the Disney usual female tantrum over herself as Minnie makes time and money demands on an innocent hapless Mickey etc.

The last image of the huge-but-defeated monster is as a yo-yo for a hula girl image. Wow. That's some power dominance inversion. Or meme-reversal.

Lots of power dominance illustration. That's what mice are always used for in Disney, to teach that it is better to have might than right.

All the usual USG memes.
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby brainpanhandler » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:22 pm

bph, Disney is the US government since 1939. All its product will have state-supporting memes as warrior propaganda and hostile info-jamming counterpropaganda.

OK. But what will Disney's products not have in them. We always talk about what's there but hidden, but I've been thinking that it ought to be equally important to eliminate any content that would have an adverse effect on the psyops intent or distribution of it's products.

The recruiting slogan, "more than a job, an adventure," is only the most obvious.

So obvious it begs the question, why so obvious?

1995 is the context. There's talk about media violence and studies about video games.

1995 is when Lt. Col. David Grossman published his must read on the psychology of violence and killing, 'On Killing.'
He exposed how kids are conditioned at a very early age. Like with Disney.

I've not read this. I'll see if I can find a copy. Does he actually mention Disney specifically?

Here's a poem by Grossman posted on http://www.warriorsciencegroup.com/ (It's a pretty creepy looking enterprise)

The Angel of the Night
by Dave Grossman

Fear not the night.
Fear that which walks the night.
And *I* am that which walks the night.

But only evil need fear me …
and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…
because I walk the night.

But the USG uses violent media for recruiting and other social controls.

Recruiting is a key function and it can't be straightforward when it is directed at children. Parents will buy their kids violent video games and shake their heads when they see what they are, but will buy them anyway. I would think it would be a maxim that any content that would undermine the goals of cultural conditioning toward violence, positive associations with the armed services and warfare and the general purpose of conditioning future recruits should be eliminated from any psyops products; especially any content that would actually inhibit the exposure to USG engineered media products. After all, psyops can't work if the target audience is not exposed to them.

What to do?

How about turn the reality into an entertainingly distorted sci-fi horror fantasy where video game-playing Mickey's brain goes directly into a Frankenstein monster that threatens the world and womanhood?
Haw! Out of this world, man. That could never happen for real, right?

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure that brain transplants have not been performed yet, but who knows. Oh, you meant metaphorically.

And there are many instances of badjacketing women in 'Runaway Brain' along with the financial gender politics of "buy me buy me.'

IanEye's comment about Reagan/Regan is fortuitous. (As usual, IanEye.)

Mickey facing the house in the Exorcist is for the adults, obviously.

That movie was total anti-female psyops and loaded with contemporary politics, just like the novel which I just happen to be analyzing this week.

A girl in a bed with demons and projectile vomiting?
Gross. Gee, I'm just not feeling randy anymore.

Well, no one should be feeling randy anyway. Regan is a twelve year old in the first film. That movie was not made for kids.

And that novel was published in 1970, just before Reagan competed with Nixon in 1972. Wallace got shot to prevent his interference.
So the demon-filled girl named Regan is one of many contemporary subliminal framings in the original Exorcist narrative.
I was following the Berrigan brothers attempt to purge the USG of evil but now there's this other priest in this movie...etc.

So, Exorcist image as badjacketing women, not just horror, right?

Sure. Not just horror, but badjacketing women and covert campaign psyops against reagan as well. I don't think that probably has anything to do with it's inclusion in Runaway Brain. Maybe it was generally known at Disney Studios by 1995 that a conspiracy theory existed which linked disney with satansim.

Look at the last image Mickey sees when he shuts off his video game, a wicked witch zapping one of the seven dwarves. Poor little dude. Bitch.

That's Dopey. The target demographic for potential recruits don't tend to be honor students on a post-secondary educational track. I'll bet they do tend to smoke dope and play video games to kill the boredom and live at home when they are unemployed and broke.

Then there's the Disney usual female tantrum over herself as Minnie makes time and money demands on an innocent hapless Mickey etc.

The last image of the huge-but-defeated monster is as a yo-yo for a hula girl image. Wow. That's some power dominance inversion. Or meme-reversal.

The "huge-but-defeated monster" is Pegleg Pete or Black Pete or any of a number of other incarnations of the character. Pegleg Pete appeared in Mickey's first theatrical release, Steamboat Willy. For a brief period Pegleg Pete was adopted as the mascot of the US Merchant Marine.

Lots of power dominance illustration. That's what mice are always used for in Disney, to teach that it is better to have might than right.

Huh?

It seems to me that cartoons being entirely contrived limits the number of explanations for the presence of anything in them. It's all by design. This is especially true in short animated films where the narrative is condensed down into 7 minutes. There can be nothing superfluous. If Runaway Brain is a USG psyops product then it seems to me that it ought not include anything which would interfere with the goals of the psyops content. Chief among the goals of the psyops engineers would be to have their products experienced as often as possible by the target audience.

Disney psyops are largely directed at children. If, as you say, recruiters have their greatest success among family values, patriotic, southern bible belt christians and as you say Disney is just an extension of the USG propaganda machine then why would there be anything in a Disney product that could be construed as satanic? Southern bible belt christians that believe satanic messages are embedded in disney media aggresively shield their children from that media. I had an aunt that would not allow any of her children to view the Star Wars movies because she believed they had satanic messages in them.

A google search for the terms disney and satanic/satanism/satan returns hundreds of results and it's some loony shit.

http://www.google.com/search?gbv=2&hl=e ... tnG=Search
brainpanhandler

Next

Return to Psyops and Meme Management