Welcome to the Members' Notice Board

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Welcome to the Members' Notice Board

Postby Jeff » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:46 am

This is a place for members' to announce off-forum activities, accomplishments and services that may be of interest to the general community.

For example, artists and writers may wish to announce gallery openings and book releases, bloggers new posts and podcasts, and event organizers speaking engagements, film screenings and public demonstrations. (Or just stuff you're doing that you think others might find fun.)

The board may also be used for posting services and skills exchange.

For example, a member traveling from A to B seeking another to share driving and gas, or a designer offering help setting up a website.

If a post is deemed inappropriate by the moderators, for whatever reason, it will be deleted.
Jeff
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby OP ED » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:01 am

I'll refrain from disrespecting in you in this aspect of this post.

I may have to start my own thread here soon, even with nothing to talk about. Gotta troll somewhere.
OP ED

Postby OP ED » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:57 am

aw damn, this one is sticky, isn't it?

the other one wasn't sticky.
Giustizia mosse il mio alto fattore:
fecemi la divina podestate,
la somma sapienza e 'l primo amore.

:: ::
S.H.C.R.
OP ED

Re: Welcome to the Members' Notice Board

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:57 am

1pm today https://oversight.house.gov/

Subcommittee to Hold Briefing on Effects of Plastic Production and Pollution on Americans’ Health During Coronavirus Crisis

Jul 6, 2020
Press Release

Washington D.C. (July 6, 2020)—On Tuesday, July 7, 2020, at 1:00 p.m. (EST), Rep. Harley Rouda, the Chairman of the Subcommittee on Environment, will hold a virtual briefing on “Plastic Production, Pollution and Waste in the Time of Covid-19: The Life-Threatening Impact of Single Use Plastic on Human Health.”

The briefing will discuss how two current major health crises, the coronavirus pandemic and air pollution caused by the plastics industry, are disproportionately affecting low-income, minority communities.

It is estimated that the United States produced about 35.4 million tons of plastic in 2017, nearly all of which is manufactured from petroleum byproducts derived primarily from fossil fuels.

The plastic industry’s reliance on fossil fuels and petrochemicals results in serious negative health impacts through substantial greenhouse gas emissions and release of toxic chemicals, including potentially fatal health effects like headaches, tremors, aplastic anemia, dermatitis, decrease in T-cell production, blindness, nervous system damage, and cancer. Petrochemical plants are often located in or near predominantly low-income communities and communities of color that are forced to face the brunt of these serious negative health burdens.

In addition, common methods of plastics disposal, including municipal solid waste incinerators, which emit pollutants such as fine particulate matter 2.5, and landfills, which can produce gases such as methane, carbon dioxide, and hydrogen sulfide, are often located in low-income and minority communities.

Research indicates that pre-existing respiratory and heart conditions place people at higher risk for coronavirus. This is especially problematic for communities that have significant air pollution since it is proven to exacerbate pulmonary diseases.

Tuesday’s briefing will also examine emerging research on the disastrous long-term health impacts of consumption of microplastics, including through single-use plastic bottles of water.

WHAT:

Subcommittee on Environment Briefing on “Plastic Production, Pollution and Waste in the Time of Covid-19: The Life-Threatening Impact of Single Use Plastic on Human Health.”

WHEN:

1:00 PM ET

WHO:

Judith Enck
President
Beyond Plastics
Former EPA Regional Administrator

Monique Harden
Assistant Director of Law and Public Policy
Community Engagement Program Manager
Deep South Center for Environmental Justice

Kimberly Terrell, Ph.D
Staff Scientist
Tulane Environmental Law Clinic

Yvette Arellano
Policy Research and Grassroots Advocate
Texas Environmental Justice Advocacy Services (T.E.J.A.S.)

Carroll Muffett
President & CEO
Center for International Environmental Law

WATCH: A livestream will be available on YouTube and the Committee on Oversight and Reform website.

###

https://oversight.house.gov/news/press-releases/subcommittee-to-hold-briefing-on-effects-of-plastic-production-and-pollution-on
Iamwhomiam

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:47 pm

I belong to an international organization of people who work every day to make our world safer from environmental pollution. We do this by guiding our policy makers and their financiers to invest in sustainable, lesser or non-polluting solutions, while transitioning away from older, highly polluting technologies, such as waste incineration and toxic landfills, by adopting Zero Waste principles and practices which are environmentally safer alternatives. From our small group over the past 20 years, we've grown tremendously, especially in our developing countries, and work at every level of society, grass roots organizing to statehouse policy implementation.

I'm sure some of you are familiar with Dr. Paul Connett and his organization, the Fluoride Action Network. Please warn your children to avoid giving their children fluoridated water! My granddaughter's pediatrician prescribed for her infant daughter fluoridated water when preparing formula! I was horrified and warned her of its danger to her child's developing brain. (Her younger daughter, the one who one past Halloween wanted to be the Queen of Hearts, and shout "Off with their heads!" while insisting she carry a hatchet! The same who told her 1st grade teacher "FU," but more elaborately.) Paul's bio can be found on the Fluoride Action Network's website. Click on "About Fan" and from the drop-down menu click, "Our Team." https://fluoridealert.org/about/team/

Dr. Paul Connett has a very important message for us I would like to share with you and ask you to share it with as many of your contacts you feel would have interest in Paul's message. I requested and received from Paul his permission to share it with you:

"Please do Jim and thank you!

Paul"

Here's Dr. Connett's message:

Dear All,

In the last 4 years there have been 19 human IQ studies indicating an association with fluoride exposure in utero and infancy and lowered IQ and an increase in symptoms of ADHD. These include 4 high quality studies funded by the US government agencies (NIEHS, NIH and even the EPA) - Bashash, 2017,2018; Green 2019 and Till, 2020). The weight of evidence is overwhelming for independent scientists but sadly not too many professional bodies, health agencies, and sadly some prominent members of the anti-incineration community who are still held hostage to the dental lobby and their bullying tactics.

For me this has become an issue about scientific integrity. It has become increasingly difficult for me to respond to the dangers posed by incinerator projects, while those asking for help ignore the unnecessary and probably more dangerous risks posed by this practice* - often practiced in the very same communities - at least to more people). This came to a head recently when my help was sought to help fight a gasification project in NZ - just after NZ (ignoring the advice I have given in many tours there since 2002) had introduced mandatory fluoridation for the whole country.

For those living in Ireland (which has had mandatory fluoridation since 1966), the UK (which is currently trying to introduce mandatory fluoridation there) Canada, the USA, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Argentina, Brazil, Australia and NZ - this issue should concern you.

Even though fluoride can cross the placental membrane and the fetus is exposed to fluoride, none of these countries are warning pregnant women to avoid fluoridated water. The governments in these countries seem more determined to protect this outdated policy than the brains of their children.

Nor are many parents being warned of the findings of the Till et al, 2020 paper that found that children who were bottle-fed in fluoridated communities in Canada scored 9 IQ points lower than children who were bottle-fed in non-fluoridated communities. I have been warning for over 20 years that bottle-fed babies in fluoridated communities get about 200 times more fluoride than breast-fed babies.

The shocking news is that even though fluoride occurs naturally it is highly toxic to animals and humans because it is incompatible with fundamental biochemical components and processes such as enzymes and G-proteins. Fortunately, nature has device defense mechanisms to protect us (kidneys excrete 50% of daily fluoride ingestion; bones sequester most of the rest and fluoride is very low in breast milk) but water fluoridation gets around these defense mechanisms.

This well-intentioned but misguided and dangerous practice must be brought to an end very quickly. And I would really appreciate help from waste activists whose decisions are influenced by science to help do this. At the very least, please get a warning to pregnant women and bottle-feeding parents to avoid fluoridated water.

If you live in the UK please help remove the clauses in the Health and Care bill that require mandatory fluoridation. It has passed the House but is still being fought in the House of Lords.

Thanks for your patience reading this but I have been on this now for 26 years and it is getting very frustrating being ignored by key players when every bone in my body tells me that I am right - and not just in my bones but in key scientific papers tell me that I am right.

Paul Connett

* Because fluoridation reaches so many people, fluoride is causing more loss of IQ points in the USA population than lead and any other factor including pre-term birth.

Edited to add link to RI Topics discussing Fluoride:
http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30497&hilit=fluoride&start=45
Iamwhomiam

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:34 pm

https://nepajac.org/unac_033122.html

Important UNAC webinar on Ukraine

A conversation with Scott Ritter

Former UN weapons inspector

Hosted by Margaret Flowers and Joe Lombardo

Wednesday, April 6, 7:00 PM Eastern

Click here to register

visit initial link for more.