RI Art Show

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby barracuda » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:39 am

The piercing eyes, the close cropped hair... Pretty decent portrait of OP ED, monster.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Project Willow » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:03 am

Monster, that is funny. I should hang it with your initial quote in art thread and it would be hailed as a stab at the avant guarde.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

ahhht

Postby jam.fuse » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:34 pm

Thanks Project Willow

I will send you a jpg. of a piece I would like to show, soon.
jam.fuse

Postby monster » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:43 pm

Project Willow wrote:Monster, that is funny. I should hang it with your initial quote in art thread and it would be hailed as a stab at the avant guarde.

Thanks, and it's true, it was fun to make!
"I’ve just completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd from 1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline."
monster

Postby Cordelia » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:52 am

Are brand new members eligible? I have a very small collage on a gesso panel that is def. R.I. related. (It's not framed and I doubt that it will be.)

I'm really glad to have found this site--I've been looking for one like this for a long time--but am new to forum postings and still learning the culture and language.

Thanks!

Cordelia
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Brigit » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:24 am

I am new and want to tread lightly, but have a story to share; fortuitously/coincidentally I found this site after rummaging through old boxes of "stuff" that have survived a life time of moving, and have been on death row at my current residence for 15 years as we chip away at the house clutter destined for "the pile", a dreaded annual event. I found a treasure: artwork dating back to first grade and a notebook from a boarding school I was expelled from 38 years ago that accompanied me home where I apparently suffered through courses in American History and Mythology. The snippets of prose and doodling have me reeling. I had a thought before entering this forum; I could make a study of my doodling through college and beyond and break the code that will finally reveal whatever it was that happened to me! Given my family history and the nature of my symptoms it is no wonder I am so scared!

Brigit
Into the light of the dark black night
Brigit

Postby Project Willow » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:37 pm

Cordelia, certainly, and welcome to RI!

Brigit, isn't that you... Bridge It? Were you banned or did you just take a break? I know it's hard to speak with your tongue firmly in your cheek, but how hard is it to type with your eyes rolled? So many people, so many perspectives, so much contempt.
Project Willow

Postby Cordelia » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:39 pm

Thank you PW, for the welcome. Should I email the image to you?

I was relieved that I was followed by another new member who expresses fear, because I'm suddenly feeling like a child again and overwhelmed as I navigate my way through the many hallways and rooms of this site......and the many previously closed doors that could open up into the rabbit holes of the past.

[quote="Project Willow" So many people, so many perspectives, so much contempt.[/quote]

I was drawn to the thread about Nick Bryant's book (I've been waiting for it to be available on Amazon, when I can better afford it.)and I wanted to ask this question there, but since the thread is locked, I'll ask here. Is this site safe and welcoming for RI/MC survivors?
Cordelia

Postby Brigit » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:51 pm

Project Willow,
I am not 'Bridge it'. I am Brigit. I love art and gravitated to this topic while waking up this morning. I will look around the gallery a little. It's hard to know where to begin.

Cordelia, you helped me to feel safe enough to post and I can see why. Thank you for your response. I fear I have already fallen down a rabbit hole. I am okay with things down here at the moment, but I may be lost. Oh dear, I give myself such good advice, but very rarely do I follow it!

Peace,
Brigit
Brigit

Postby Project Willow » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:11 am

Brigit, please forgive me but your rhetorical style as well as your username were too similar for me to interpret your post differently at the time. Welcome.

Cordelia, it should be apparent by your quotation of me that this is not an entirely neutral space for survivors. You have to sort of get your boxing gloves out. If any one needs referrals to online support groups, feel free to read Jeff's sticky in GD, or pm me.
Project Willow

Postby lightningBugout » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:27 am

Cordelia wrote:Is this site safe and welcoming for RI/MC survivors?

Well it is decidedly not a place for anything like therapy or really even "support". I sense that the majority of people here have some personal connection to the subject matter via on or another avenue. But generally speaking this is a place for people who want to exchange and collaborate on research and ideas. And while the cast of regulars is among the smartest and most interesting cabals I've ever participated in, people are also very analytical and critical and the general atmosphere is not soft. That personally frustrates me sometimes but I usually wise up enough to realize it is a good thing. For me at least.
"What's robbing a bank compared with founding a bank?" Bertolt Brecht
lightningBugout

Postby Brigit » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:58 am

Thank you for asking the question Cordelia and for your responses Project Willow and LightningBugout!

Safe to be analytical and to go in peace where angels fear to tread sounds lovely to me. Boxing is not my thing, but I am no stranger to the art of war, metaphorically speaking!

Brigit
Brigit

Postby Brigit » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:35 am

Thank you for asking the question Cordelia and for your responses Project Willow and LightningBugout!

Safe to be analytical and to go in peace where angels fear to tread sounds lovely to me. Boxing is not my thing, but I am no stranger to the art of war, metaphorically speaking!

Brigit
Brigit

Postby Cordelia » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:30 pm

Thank you for these responses! Ok, I think I understand. On this site I need to be more of a grown up, wearing an analytical thicker skin and a boxing glove over my (lightly) slapped wrist, but there are complementary sites, elsewhere, where regression back into childhood is supported and I can dig up my 'kid' gloves from buried memories.

Fair enough; I'll continue wandering the hallways and occasionally open a door and brave an entry into a room occupied by the regular cabal. (Maybe I'd better include a helmet and a mouth guard?) Brigit, if you'll come along, we can hold hands!

Back to topic, there are some interesting images, ala Sūn Zǐ Bīng Fǎ, coming to mind!

Cordelia

P.S. I finally finished the second half of that thread and will think twice before rushing in...........
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Brigit » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:18 pm

Cordelia,
I would be happy to come with you! I will confess that in a way I already have; you mentioned a topic that draws me for personal reasons as I forage for crumbs that will lead me to a place of greater understanding. You remind me of my best friend through grade school. We glommed onto each other the first day of kindergarten!

Maybe I'll check out my kids' sports gear for safety items. Do you drink coffee?
Brigit
Brigit

PreviousNext

Return to [Moved to Lounge]