RI Art Show Reports

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: RI Art Show Reports

Postby barracuda » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:22 pm

We're going for round 2 this evening. Thanks for the support, cockblocker chump!
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Blog: View Blog (0)

Act Two

Postby Perelandra » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:58 pm

It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents — except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in Seattle that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness.
“The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
Perelandra

Postby Maddy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:58 am

You all sound as if you're having a great time! I am so envious! I'm glad you all have one another to weather out this storm with, together! I look forward to pics! Annie yours are really neat and interesting!
Be kind - it costs nothing. ~ Maddy ~
Maddy

Postby alwyn » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:39 am

so, I have photos of the art, but no way to upload them till I get home, which will be Monday at this rate...anyway, it's coming.....
question authority?
alwyn

Postby Project Willow » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:55 am

I hope you all arrived safely at your destinations and are recovering well.

I will document the show next weekend and post. I have a few candid shots from the opening and I'll put those on a protected directory to get permissions before posting a few here.
It was quite a couple of days! The weather was terrible, our beautiful mountains were not on view, and we had that awful horizontal pelting rain.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Good Times at the Paranoid Party

Postby annie aronburg » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:34 pm

I can't think of the last time I found myself in such congenial company.
Kudos to Project Willow for making the art show happen and hurray for all the folks who turned up. We were all so incredibly good-looking and nice-smelling!

The weather was shitty enough to keep me from feeling the slightest bit homesick for the Wet Coast. The food was yummy and the drinks were wet. People said nice things about my prints. I almost swallowed my birthday candle!

My only sorrow is that I lost my camera and with it dozens of shots of small dogs sleeping on high thread count linens and my erotic portraiture of Sr. Barracuda.

We must definitely do it again and hopefully more of you/us will participate.

Here's a link to the prints again. They're going for $30 each, four or more for $25.
"O Oysters," said the Carpenter,
"You've had a pleasant run!
Shall we be trotting home again?'
But answer came there none--
And this was scarcely odd, because
They'd eaten every one.
annie aronburg

Postby Perelandra » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:57 pm

Thank you to PW and the artists for all their hard work, and a big thank you to Jeff for hosting such a diversely creative online salon. Hopefully there will be more such opportunities, as I'm sure that was the tip of the iceberg.

It was a pleasure meeting those of you I hadn't before and not too many things can entice me to stay up that late. Sorry to miss the fun the next evening and hope all had uneventful return trips.

In short, it was awesome. :clapping:
“The past is never dead. It's not even past.” - William Faulkner
Perelandra

Postby §ê¢rꆧ » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:11 am

This was a great idea and kudos to Project Willow and all the artists for making it happen. I had a fun time and quite an eye treat. I only wish we'd have had a round table to sit around so I could talk to everybody at once during the afterparty
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I wanted to hang out the next day but by the time I finished with the underground tour and a stroll through that gigantic market I was exhausted, and then had this unfortunate, weird allergic reaction to something that I sampled at Pike's Place market (I tried so many yummy and fragrant things there that I can't even hazard a guess as to what it was...)

Anyhow I hope the artwork can be posted so that everybody can see, although that's never as good as actually being there, of course. I think you can catch the show until the end of April, and if you can, do so, it's a compelling experience.
§ê¢rꆧ

Re: Good Times at the Paranoid Party

Postby barracuda » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:23 am

annie aronburg wrote:My only sorrow is that I lost my camera and with it dozens of shots of small dogs sleeping on high thread count linens and my erotic portraiture of Sr. Barracuda.

I'm sorry to hear that as well. I'd have loved to've seen those. But after checking my camera, I realised I did get a few pictures of my own! Would you like to see them? Great! Check out this shot I took about three hours into the opening at the gallery:

Did you ever think there were going to be so many people there? I know it's hard to tell, but there were fucking thousands of people there, and the RI art works were trippy.

How's about this one of our dinner after the show:

I had shrimps and mussels and several Manhattans. I distinctly recall discussing nazis, ufo's, calamari, punk rock, and Jeff Wells at various points in between nibbles and sips.

And here's part of the frenzied crowd scene through the looking glass in the ultra swanky Aronberg hotel room at about three a.m. As I hazily recall, this was taken during an attempted remote visualisation/dog party/limbo contest near the rear foyer of the suite:

My hand was beginning to steady a bit, it appears. I think it's safe to say that some of us were pretty much reduced to behaving like happily crazed children by night's end. Come to think of it, that's hardly a reduction, is it?

Honestly, I had a great time. Thanks again Willow, for your hard work and hospitality. To you and everyone else, I sure hope we can do it again sometime. I dug it.

The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Re: Good Times at the Paranoid Party

Postby Project Willow » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:47 am

Nice photos, but I don't believe in accidents, especially drunken ones, sweetheart. :wink:

barracuda wrote:...I think it's safe to say that some of us were pretty much reduced to behaving like happily crazed children by night's end. Come to think of it, that's hardly a reduction, is it?

I'm glad you can identify why I might have impulsively been playing with your mustache, or any other odd thing I might have done with anyone... I am relieved.

barracuda wrote:Honestly, I had a great time. Thanks again Willow, for your hard work and hospitality. To you and everyone else, I sure hope we can do it again sometime. I dug it.

My pleasure, and I am counting on a repeat as well!

OK, Annie and Peregrine, I just need your thumbs up before I can post my photos, come on ya'll!
Project Willow

Postby Free » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:05 am

Hi Everybody at R.I,

Here are the paintings of mine that were in the show. I'm sick that I wasn't able to make the opening, but glad that it happened and was a good time for those who attended. Now I'm looking forward to meeting you all at some future event.

You're awesome Willow, thanks! And nice to see your prints and printmaking process, Annie, I'm looking forward to seeing the other's artwork as well. And thanks to Jeff for creating and hosting R.I.

This has been fun. I used feel inspired and do a painting at crucial junctures in my healing process, but stopped and hadn't done it for years. Thanks to the excitement around this show I'm working on a painting now, the first one I've done in a long time.

Artist’s Statement

My artwork documents my struggle to heal from the effects of the torture and mind control I was subjected to, from birth to age twenty-eight, in the U.S. Government sponsored MK Ultra program.

Painting-Divine Child....jpg

Divine Child of Darkness

Portrays me, being held by my mother, who participated actively in the extreme abuse utilized in MK Ultra to construct the mind control programming.
My mother herself was a victim of incest and intergenerational cult abuse in the Irish/Celtic tradition. She was cold, aloof and incapable of bonding with her children. My father was jovial and emotional at times, but, in the manner of confirmed sociopaths, his gregariousness was nothing but a manipulative show.
With parents like these, the only chance I had to preserve my humanity and feel some love and protection was to establish, at an early age, a strong, direct connection with a power greater than myself.
This direct spiritual connection was a major factor in helping me to break free from the bondage I was born into.

Painting-Creativity.jpg

Creativity

In my early 20’s, my dissociated anger and rage about being abused led me to become the lead singer in an all-female punk band.
When my band signed a record deal, my family and the perpetrator network were thrilled. Popular music is a great source of money and influence, and they hoped that they had a successful band on their hands.
I did this painting in 1991, near the beginning of my healing process, and at that time I thought that it was about creativity in general.
Many years later, in the course of de-programming, I remembered the torture session in which they had installed the Creativity program and realized that my unconscious had guided me to depict elements of the programming in the painting.

Some features of Creativity or White Orchid program:

The Egg – the egg symbolizes conception and birth. The program was encapsulated in an egg-shaped structure that was designed to contain and insure that, for my entire life, all of my creative work would serve them ( i.e. that they would have access to all monetary proceeds and that the artistic themes would serve their agenda.)

Grids – the grids in the corners depict the grids that they installed in my inner world to divide and structure my (artistic) life into time periods. They also created an “alter” (alternate personality) named Timekeeper. Timekeeper looked like Father Time. He wore a brown canvas monk style robe and carried a sickle. His job was to oversee time and make sure that I made no deviation from the dictates of the program.

*Good News – Even under sophisticated mind control, through my non-co-operation and defiance I was able to block, almost entirely, their attempts to control my creativity up until age 27, when I broke free, began my journey of healing and recovery, and reclaimed my artistic life.

Free

April 2010
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Free

Postby Maddy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:12 am

Wow, Free, those are powerful! \<]
Be kind - it costs nothing. ~ Maddy ~
Maddy

Postby DeltaDawn » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:15 pm

Gosh Free, what can I say but WoW!!! Intense, revealing, and like Maddy said, "Powerful". Thanks for sharing!
For we have not been given the spirit of fear; but of love, peace and a sound mind
DeltaDawn

Postby Project Willow » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:26 pm

OK, so I've made two photo galleries here:

http://lynnschirmer.com/riart/

The top one documents the show, the bottom one contains photos from the opening.
Project Willow

Postby Cordelia » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:53 pm

Thank you Willow. Wow. What a class act (including the art).

And you are all damn dishy.
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge & Member News