John deCamp

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby bks » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:19 pm

if no one does it before me, I will start a Bryant-only thread this weekend for discussion of claims/questions emerging from his book.
bks

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby chiggerbit » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:21 pm

That wasn't you who asked AD if he had permission to use the Bryant quote? Sorry.
chiggerbit

Postby Jeff » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:24 pm

Searcher08 wrote:Jeff, what in particular is it about 'reclaiming Franklin' - that you see as being so very important? What difference will it make? (I'm assuming it isnt about traditional left v right?? )

I don't know Bryant's politics, but it's a fair bet he's not, let's see now,

* best buds with a DCIA who handpicked him for the Phoenix Program
* a militia/Patroit/LaRouche advocate
* a Gunderson confidant
* someone whose preemptive leak to the press undercut Caradori's investigation

It's not politics, it's the difference between journalism and God knows what mindfuckery.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Project Willow » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:30 pm

That wasn't you who asked AD if he had permission to use the Bryant quote? Sorry.

That shouldn't have squelched anything, and AD was quoting an email from Bryant.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby chiggerbit » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:48 pm

Jeff said:

BTW, FWIW, King was incarcerated with LaRouche at the US Medical Facility in Rochester, Minnesota while it was determined whether he was mentally fit to stand trial.

Ok, that's interesting. Also note that Larouche's attorney at the appelate court level was ex-Attorney General Ramsey Clark, who, wiki says, "...As Attorney General during part of the Vietnam War, Clark oversaw the prosecution of the Boston Five for “conspiracy to aid and abet draft resistance.” Four of the five were convicted, including pediatrician Dr. Benjamin Spock and Yale chaplain William Sloane Coffin Jr.?

Nevermind me, I'm a bit obsessed with the Vietnam connections. Here's his later history:

Following his term as Attorney General he worked as a law professor and was active in the anti-Vietnam War movement. He visited North Vietnam in 1972 as a protest against the bombing of Hanoi.
chiggerbit

Postby lightningBugout » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:54 pm

Jeff wrote:
lightningBugout wrote:Why is is that, upon publication of a new and deadly serious, very well-researched book about the Franklin Scandal, all this attention is being focused on the potential dark side of DeCamp?

Well, for me at least, it's because Bryant's book shows up the false opposition of the patriot/LaRouche camp, which has owned the Franklin scandal since the beginning thanks to DeCamp/Gunderson. That needs to be discussed, and I think these threads have been very beneficial for that.

Ok. Fair enough. I'm just seeing less emphasis than I would like on the fact that Bryant's book is purposefully non-reliant on DeCamp's book. In an interview, Byrant said that he put down DeCamp's book very early in the investigation and never picked it up again. It was designed to stand up on 100% on its own merit. I, for one, deem it successful in doing so.
"What's robbing a bank compared with founding a bank?" Bertolt Brecht
lightningBugout

Postby lightningBugout » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:56 pm

BTW, FWIW, King was incarcerated with LaRouche at the US Medical Facility in Rochester, Minnesota while it was determined whether he was mentally fit to stand trial.

Holy shit.
lightningBugout

Postby Project Willow » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:59 pm

Chig, would please consider editing that out of context quote (replacing the context)? It looks like a general assertion from me of the perception I'm actually arguing against. Thanks.

chiggerbit wrote:
Franklin is a LaRouche conspiracy

Project Willow, I'm sorry if you don't like the track this is taking, but I was starting to see sweeping statements, mingling information taken from deCamp's books, interviews, etc. and mingling it together with Bryant's book. My point, if I have one, isn't that Franklin is a LaRouche conspiracy, but rather that deCamp himself might be one. Bryants work needs to stand on it's own, not piggybacked onto deCamp's "work". This is too important an issue to be dismissed. I really don't think anyone is suggesting that the baby be thrown out with the bathwater. I just don't think it's wise for people to use deCamp as a foundation for other inormation that may be brought out, by Bryant or anyone else.
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby chiggerbit » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:06 pm

chiggerbit

Postby chiggerbit » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:11 pm

please consider editing that out of context quote

Oops, you're right, editing done.
chiggerbit

Postby chiggerbit » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:28 pm

I suppose I should start a new thread on Larouche, or look to see there's still one in General discussion.

This is interesting, in view of deCamp's history with Larouche:

http://www.icsahome.com/logon/elibdocvi ... an+Fascism

Book Review

Lyndon LaRouche and the New American Fascism. Dennis King. Doubleday, New York, 1990, 415 pages.

Who is Lyndon LaRouche? If one is at all interested in the cult scene, one might have heard something about Mr. LaRouche. Perhaps one has heard that he is a member of the far right and hates Jews, or that he has been in prison for tax evasion. During this past election, I spotted posters espousing his presidency in the tourist areas of Seattle. In picking up Dennis King's book, one would probably hope to end up understanding something more about the motivations of Lyndon LaRouche. In particular, a good biography of LaRouche would offer an integration of what he has done with why he has done it. Perhaps "New American Fascism" would refer to a movement that he has created, and the book would integrate the culture of the United States and its ripeness for cultism with something about Mr. LaRouche's personality character.

In reading this book, I found that 99% of the words pertained to what LaRouche had done, and the remaining, if that, on the question of why. Moreover, "New American Fascism" was not explained in any cultural context; it was more of a description of LaRouche's infiltration into mainstream politics without an explanation why this might be happening at this time. Not only was the lack of analysis frustrating, but without an explanatory framework for why LaRouche did what he did, it was difficult to integrate all of the facts presented in the book. The book reads like a dictionary. Each entry might be more or less interesting--for example, LaRouche's contacts with various American politicians had a pleasant behind-the-scenes gossipy quality--yet, there was no forest to be found for the trees.

A total of two and one half pages (pp. 4-6) were spent on LaRouche's family background, which, if expanded, might have helped us to understand how LaRouche came to be. There were suggestions that his childhood was unhappy (not surprisingly). Since his parents were Quaker, he was told that under no circumstances could he fight with other children (even in self-defense); thus, he experienced "years of hell" from bullies at school (p. 4). It is interesting, then, that LaRouche, apparently in the opinion of many, turned into an international bully and a cult leader who essentially bullied his own followers into submission. Also, there seems to have been some hypocrisy in this family's espoused Quaker values. King describes LaRouche's parents as "ferocious sectarians who accused their co-religionists of closet Bolshevism and embezzlement of religious funds" (p. 4). However, King does not go further into this background, nor does he propose any hypotheses about how it might have affected LaRouche.

On the positive side, there are a lot of interesting, if not shocking, descriptions of LaRouche's (and his cult followers') activities and beliefs. For example, LaRouche had a particular dislike for Henry Kissinger and went all out to try to get him. To name a few things he did to annoy Kissinger: LaRouche circulated a leaflet entitled, "Kissinger: The Politics of Faggotry" (p. 151), and had his followers harass Kissinger in Europe with "schoolboy pranks, crank calls," and so forth (p. 150). He also disseminated an article called "How Henry Kissinger Will Be Destroyed" to Kissinger's audience when he spoke at Georgetown University (p. 151). Still, one is left not really understanding where all the loathing for Kissinger came from. Of course, it is alleged that LaRouche hates Jewish people, but why did he single out Kissinger and why did he insist that Kissinger is gay when Kissinger is married and there is no reason to believe that he is gay?

King's description of LaRouche's beliefs and activities makes for enjoyable reading in the way that a horror movie can make for good entertainment. If King is accurate, then LaRouche (and his followers) are about as cynical, sociopathic, and exploitative as they come. For example, King writes, "the LaRouchians had come to believe that really clever conspirators never carry out an assassination themselves, but simply spread hate propaganda about the targeted person which might trigger an attack by some disturbed personality or fanatic. That way they can never be held legally responsible" (p. 153). This book is full of endlessly disturbing descriptions of LaRouche's hunger for and abuse of power.

Back to the problems with the book. Essential in a biography is something about the biographer's relation to the material. King does not say a word about how he knows so much about LaRouche or why he is interested in his subject. This would be helpful information for the reader. If, for example, King were an ex-follower, that would be interesting to know.

In sum, if one were to write a dissertation on Lyndon LaRouche, this book might be helpful in its comprehensiveness. It covers, with completeness, LaRouche's activities from about age 19 onward. However, it will not be a satisfying read for one who wants to understand what makes Lyndon LaRouche tick, or for one who hopes to walk away from the book with a greater understanding of the sociopathic mind.

Andrea Bloomgarden, Ph.D.

West Chester University Counseling Center

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Cultic Studies Journal, Vol. 10, No. 1, 1993
chiggerbit

Postby lightningBugout » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:40 pm

Ummm....

when Kissinger is married and there is no reason to believe that he is gay?

Ummm....

The author of this article is a psychologist and apparently something of a feminist. And she takes someone's being (heterosexually) married as proof of orientation?
lightningBugout

Postby chiggerbit » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:54 pm

The author of this article is a psychologist and apparently something of a feminist. And she takes someone's being (heterosexually) married as proof of orientation?

Yeah, I know, as if we hadn't had a number of examples of politicians doing just that. But what i kind of wondering was if Kissinger might be sort of the nexus of Larouche and deCamp's interests. How many others do they share?
chiggerbit

king

Postby sw » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:06 pm

This is the most informative article on Larry King that I have found. It's worth the read.

sw

t for commercial use. Solely to be used for educational purposes

Nov 20, 1988 King's Assets Frozen Credit Union Executive Lived Well, Records Show; [Sunrise Edition] Paul Goodsell. Omaha World - Herald. Omaha, Neb. pg. 1.A

Full Text (3260 words)
(Copyright 1988 Omaha World-Herald Company)
World-Herald Staff Writers Robert Dorr and Nicole Simmons contributed to this story.

In Omaha, Lawrence E. King Jr. drove a new Mercedes. When he traveled, he chartered jets. Rented limousines waited at airports for him and his party.

In Washington, D.C., he often stayed at a $,000-a-month rented house just off Embassy Row. In Los Angeles, he checked into a two-story suite in the Beverly Wilshire Hotel. The suite had a view of the Pacific Ocean.

Last week, federal authorities moved to freeze King's assets in the wake of a $4 million lawsuit they filed against King, chief executive of the failed Franklin Community Federal Credit Union.

Now, King's Mercedes is headed back to the dealer. He gave up about 20 acres of his wooded homesite last week to his attorneys, although he retained the house, valued at $82,800 for tax purposes. He vacated the Washington house and sold some of its furnishings.

King had planned to be host for a fund-raiser Friday night for the Bemis Foundation's program for minority youths. Known for catering and playing host for elaborate affairs in places like New Orleans' Mardi Gras World and Dallas' South Fork Ranch, King had offered to provide a cocktail party and dessert buffet. But the fund-raiser was scrapped hours before the event.

As a 14-year-old Omahan, King took out the garbage and did chores at the Blackstone Hotel. Today, at 44, King is struggling to defend himself against allegations that could wipe out his restaurants, catering business and affluent lifestyle, and affect his reputation as a credit union miracle worker.

Federal regulators accused King last week of diverting money from Franklin for personal and business purposes. In a civil lawsuit, the National Credit Union Administration said King kept a second, secret set of financial records to hide the existence of more than $3 million in certificates of deposit.

King allegedly used the money to pay for limousine rides, chartered jets, jewelry, clothing, flowers and other expenses unrelated to the credit union, the lawsuit said.

King would not be interviewed for this story. But his attorney, William Morrow, said King deposited his own money in the credit union and used it to pay the bills.

Morrow said the community is rife with rumors.

"It's more fun to leap to these evil, accusing assumptions," he said.

Friends and associates paint King in a different light. To them, he is a generous, sometimes flamboyant man who rose from modest beginnings to wealth and prominence.

'A Surprise'

"All this comes as a surprise to us," said Wilda Stephenson, a member of Calvin Memorial Presbyterian Church where King is an elder. "We've always held the family in high repute, and Larry too."

An Omaha native, King worked at a variety of jobs, served a stint in the Air Force and began work for First National Bank. He was in a management training program at the bank when Rodney Wead asked him to run the fledgling Franklin credit union.

Wead and others in north Omaha had started the credit union on a shoestring. Despite help from local churches, however, the credit union was struggling when King came on the job in July 1970.

On his first day, King recounted in previous World-Herald interviews, auditors were at the door threatening to shut Franklin down because of shoddy record keeping and cash flow problems. King convinced the auditors to give him time to put affairs in order and find backers to invest money in Franklin.

Later, he formed Consumer Services Organization Inc. to provide financial counseling, energy conservation information and other services to low-income residents. CSO also attracted grants from churches, businesses and foundations to subsidize losses at the credit union and pay Franklin employees.

King enlisted help from local churches and their national organizations, which deposited money in Franklin or made direct grants to underwrite Franklin and CSO services.

Franklin grew slowly, increased its worth to $ million by the end of 1983 and $.5 million - on the books - by the time it was closed this month.

Other Ventures

In the meantime, King ventured into other fields of business. He operated a lawn service and catering business, managed the food and liquor service at the now-closed Cleopatra's nightclub, and became a partner in the Akasaka restaurant in the ParkFair shopping mall in downtown Omaha.

King has handled the finances for Akasaka, which reports gross sales of $,000 to $,000 a month, property manager Ray Scalise said. Kikue Jetter runs the day-to-day operation.

For four years, King has sent a representative - often his wife, Alice - to the restaurant daily to pick up receipts, Mrs. Jetter said. King paid the bills, Scalise said.

Now, however, Mrs. Jetter has set up her own bank account to handle restaurant finances.

Her attorney, who spoke on condition he not be identified, said King has not shown Mrs. Jetter a financial statement or income tax form for their company, MASA Inc., during the past four years.

Both Mrs. Jetter and King provided $5,000 each to start the restaurant, the attorney said, although a second mortgage filed with the Douglas County Register of Deeds indicates that King borrowed $0,000 from Omaha National Bank in 1984 for his MASA Inc. investment.

Last fall, King bought Cafe Carnavale at 7555 Pacific St. from Rusty Harmsen for $50,000, according to a purchase agreement filed in the City Clerk's Office.

Lounge Purchase

Earlier this year, King paid $2,000 for the Showcase Lounge at 2229 Lake St., city records show. King does not spend much time at either the Showcase or Cafe Carnavale, employees said.

King and his wife, the former Alice Ploche, have upgraded their lifestyle since the early days of the credit union. They moved from 2021 Wirt St. - now the headquarters of King's catering business - to 4424 Manchester St., 725 Sunset Trail and finally to their current residence at 13232 N. River Road.

Contemporary in design, the house is well furnished inside but not pretentious, friends said. It sits on 26 acres of heavily wooded land overlooking the Missouri River to the east and a deep ravine to the west in the Ponca Hills north of Omaha.

King used to be partial to Chevrolet Corvettes, but now drives a white 1988 Mercedes 560 SEL, retail price $9,300, which the credit union leases for him. State vehicle registration records indicate that Franklin also leases a red 1986 Mercedes.

Morrow said the two Mercedes cars have been turned over to the National Credit Union Administration, which in turn will give them back to the leasing company.

King usually wears two or three rings, including a pinky ring with "a large cluster of diamonds," said City Councilman Richard Takechi, an Omaha jeweler who has known King for years.

Birthday Party

Records filed in U.S. District Court indicate that King spent $9,769 at Landon's clothing store during a 13-month period in 1987 and 1988. Other spending during that time includes $7,000 at Omaha Jewelry and $9,512 at Borsheims, according to the records.

Court records also indicate that King paid more than $ million to American Express during that period.

When King had his 44th birthday party at the Omaha Press Club in September, the bill was $,000. At Christmas time, a florist has bee hired to decorate four Christmas trees in his house, according to people who have been there over the holidays.

And King's 8-year-old son, Prince, sported a diamond ring while serving as a page in the Ak-Sar-Ben Coronation Ball, said people attending the event.

King has explained his spending as part of being a positive role model for young blacks.

In a 1985 interview, King recalled that a 10-year-old boy told him that he admired drug dealers and others with flashy cars and expensive clothing.

" 'If you think I want to be the manager of a credit union, you're crazy,' " the youth told King.

Several of King's friends repeated the anecdote last week and applauded him for his efforts.

"I think it was a noble thing to be doing," said Chuck Sigerson, 2nd District Republican chairman. "It's easy to take your success and disappear into the community. He showed you can lead just as good a life as the people who do things illegally."

Civic Efforts

By all accounts, King did not disappear. He has served with a variety of civic organizations, such as Boys' and Girls Clubs, YMCA, Campfire Girls, Head Start and the Salvation Army.

King also represented Calvin Memorial church on the Presbytery of the Missouri River Valley, and serves on the planning and budget committee of the Presbyterian Church USA.

Mrs. King has been director of Camp Fire Girls and coordinator of the Volunteer Bureau of the United Way. A Chicago native, she works as bookkeeper for King's businesses.

Since Prince - formally known as Lawrence E. King III - attends the private Brownell Talbot school, King took charge of the school's annual fund-raising auction last spring. Held at Peony Park, the event featured horse-drawn carriages to bring people from the parking lot, clusters of orchids and other floral displays, gardenias for each woman, and tables heaped with shrimp, crab legs and fresh oysters.

Friends and co-workers said King goes out of his way to offer assistance to people.

Recently, for example, King sent a letter to acquaintances asking them to help provide a scholarship for a young man who wanted to finish college, Sigerson said.

"He is a philanthropic person, and he's got a big heart," he said.

Morrow said King also has guaranteed rental payments for several "young guys who work with him" and lack a credit history. He said landlords were reluctant to rent apartments to the employees without such a guarantee. Bemis Fund-raiser

Ree Schonlau, executive director of the Bemis Foundation, said King had approached the foundation offering to do a benefit for Cultural Arts Together, an outreach program for minority and culturally disadvantaged children who have artistic talent.

She said the Friday night event did not work out, and declined to give details.

Judy Carroll, Franklin's marketing director, said she didn't know exactly why the fund-raiser was dropped at the 11th hour.

Once chairman of the Black Democrats for presidential candidate George McGovern, King has become an active Republican - and on a national level. He is involved with the party's Citizens for America and the National Black Republican Council.

Several weeks before the November election, Sigerson said, King had a party at his house on behalf of Sen. Dave Karnes. He said King put his arm around Karnes and told those attending, "We need this man elected."

In 1984, King helped raise money for a party by black Republicans before the Republican National Convention in Dallas. The event was conducted before the convention on the South Fork ranch where "Dallas" is taped for television.

An accomplished baritone, King sang the national anthem at the 1984 GOP convention.

GOP Gathering

Last summer, at the Republican convention in New Orleans, King orchestrated a party for about 1,000 people under the auspices of the Council on Minority Americans, a group that he headed.

Held inside the building where Mardi Gras floats are stored, the reception featured ample helpings of food amid 50-foot-high Cleopatra statues and other Mardi Gras decorations.

King hired a Washington, D.C., public relations firm to help with the event and prepare a short film that was shown to guests. King's catering company provided food and Omaha florist Daniel Janousek took a staff to New Orleans to set up displays of exotic flowers.

"Clearly it was an expensive party," said David Carmen of Carmen, Carmen & Hugel Inc., the firm hired by King. In an interview from Washington, Carmen estimated that the event cost about $00,000.

Although the council was the sponsor of the event, Carmen said, he believes that the bills went to King. Court records indicate that Carmen's firm was paid $7,839 by King, but Carmen said not all that money was for New Orleans expenses. He said his firm also assisted King in applying for federal grants.

Carmen said King has hired other Washington consultants and public relations aides on other projects.

"Larry has a pretty high profile in Washington," he said. "He's donated to a lot of causes."

Karen Lloyd, a former CSO employee, said she went to Washington several times to work on a recent grant application. She said she flew in a private plane one trip, and used commercial flights other times. D.C. House

While in Washington, she said, she and others in the CSO-Franklin group stayed at King's house. King was not along for those trips.

King has rented the 4,662-square-foot house at 2441 California Ave. NW for about two years, said the owner, Nicole D'Amecourt. Located near Embassy Row, the Spanish-style stucco dwelling is next door to the Venezuelan Embassy. The Brazilian Ambassador to the Organization of American States occupied the house before King.

The two-story house, furnished with items such as Lalique crystal, rents for $,000 a month. It is assessed for tax purposes at $93,600.

Mrs. D'Amecourt said King was in town perhaps twice a month for several days at a time. When he was in Washington, the house was usually full with his entourage.

"He was a very good tenant," she said. "He kept the house immaculate."

King hired a housekeeper to take care of the house, answer the phone, and do some scheduling. "He liked the house to be watched," she said.

King moved out early last week without telling her and after holding a furniture sale, Mrs. D'Amecourt said.

Morrow said the move was prompted by King's attorneys.

"We suggested that he should cut his expenses," Morrow said.

About the same time as the Washington move, the Kings transferred ownership of their Ponca Hills property to the Erickson & Sederstrom law firm. Morrow would not say whether the property, which changed hands for $9,000, was intended to pay King's legal expenses. Apartments

The transfer took place Monday, the day before U.S. District Judge William Cambridge ordered King's assets frozen.

Besides his Omaha and Washington residences, King has maintained apartments at various locations around Omaha.

Recently, King had one of the penthouse apartments at the Twin Towers, 3000 Farnam St., as well as another apartment in the building for a time. He paid at least $,175 in rent in 1987, plus another $,200 during early 1988, court records indicate.

"He lived there part of the time," Morrow said.

In addition, he said, King used the apartment to house entertainers that he had brought into Omaha.

"It was cheaper than the Red Lion," Morrow said.

One former employee, who spoke on condition that he not be identified, said King traveled as often as weekly, mainly to Los Angeles, Chicago, New York or Washington. The employee said King usually had an entourage of five to 10 people.

King's favorite hotels included the Ritz Carlton hotels in Chicago, Washington and New York, and the Beverly Wilshire in Los Angeles, the employee said. He tended to reserve the same suite for return visits, the employee said.

'Treated as VIP'

At the Beverly Wilshire, King was considered a frequent guest and was at the hotel several times last summer, a hotel spokeswoman said.

"He's very much treated as a VIP," she said.

The spokeswoman described the townhouse-style suite where King stayed as "very elegant," with French antique furniture, fabric-covered walls and two-story glass windows facing the ocean.

"It's quite stunning," she said.

Several employees said that when King did not use a chartered jet, the party generally flew first class.

King recently has used Executive Jet Air, a charter company based in Columbus, Ohio. Before then, however, he hired planes from Omaha firms such as Kam Air, which received $4,952 from King from June through December 1987, court records indicate.

"He's really one of the best customers we've had," said Leslie Fey, who handles billing for the charter company. "He used to fly with us a lot. The pilots all enjoyed him."

King offered to tip the pilots, which is unusual, she said.

A round-trip by chartered jet to Washington could cost about $,500 plus charges for ground time, she said.

Morrow said the charter flights sometimes were the least expensive option for a group of six or eight travelers, considering the cost of commercial airfare for the group.

Limousine Bills

Old Market Limousine Service in Omaha received $48,375 from King during 13 months in 1987 and 1988, court records indicate. Owner Gail Holmes would not give details of King's limousine bills, but noted that the company arranges and bills for ground transportation for its clients when they travel to other cities.

North Omaha businessman Jesse Allen, who co-owned the Showcase Lounge before selling it to King earlier this year, said it doesn't matter that King's spending habits were far removed from those of his credit union customers.

"He may have lived a little flamboyantly," Allen said. "But I don't think he forgot where he came from."

Some people - including his friends - wondered how King could live so well as manager of a relatively small credit union.

"I always wondered," Takechi said. "I just figured he made some good investments."

One current board member, who asked not to be identified, said King's salary with Franklin was $6,200. CSO paid him $ a year, the board member said.

"How people come into money or how people have money is a private concern," Sigerson said. "Maybe somebody in the past hit a lottery."

Several people speculated that Alice King's family in Jamaica is affluent and has provided money to the Kings; Morrow declined to comment on that. IRS Attention

The Kings drew attention from the Internal Revenue Service in 1986 when it conducted an investigation of King's finances for 1982 and 1983, according to documents filed in U.S. District Court.

During that probe, IRS special agent Dale Bahney requested records from Franklin credit union, including nearly $6,000 in Franklin checks deposited in King's checking account at Omaha National Bank.

Bahney also asked for records of loans that were written off as bad debts "in order to determine whether they represented any income source" for King.

King filed a motion in U.S. District Court to quash the summons, but it was denied in September 1987.

Morrow said the records were provided to the IRS and a settlement ultimately was reached in the tax case. He declined to give details and would not say whether the current credit union problems are linked to the earlier IRS investigation.

IRS and FBI agents served search warrants Nov. 4 when they accompanied the National Credit Union Administration officials who took over Franklin.

Sigerson, like others, said he finds it difficult to believe that King has done anything wrong.

"I'll withhold judgment until I hear all the evidence," he said. "I haven't talked to Larry."

Said Takechi: "It's very confusing."

Over the years, he said, he has been fascinated by King's prolific entertaining. It isn't that King's parties are always particularly opulent, he said, but the fact that King has held such events so frequently.

"He seemed to enjoy having people around him," Takechi said.

King

Rich Janda/World-Herald King's Omaha residence at 13232 N. River Road . . . The house sits on 26 acres overlooking the Missouri River.

The Associated Press The house King rented at 2441 California Ave in Washington, D.C. . . . Last week, he conducted a furniture sale and moved out of the house.
sw

My visit with DeCamp and staff - the physical space

Postby Paloma » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi. I'm late to the party and don't know that what I will have to say will be particularly enlightening, but I've actually met John DeCamp and asked him a few questions about some of the very things you are discussing. It is my opinion that John DeCamp is not the decent humanitarian he pretends to be. From a meeting in May of 2008, with DeCamp and Gregory Tyrell, an aide. Mr. DeCamp had agreed to allow me to look through his files on Eugene Mahoney, "Uncle Gene", because I am interested in the theft of our resources domestically via the creation of the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, and the theft of resources on other continents via "conservation efforts " like the Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund and Tiger Missing Link Foundation.

First, the actual physical space that Mr. DeCamp works in. DeCamp owns a block of buildings in a seedy looking part of Lincoln. They're all attached, separated only by a wall. There are four or five potential business sites on the block, with most of the doors and windows boarded up. There was no sign/shingle on the building, making it hard to locate. It's the kind of street that makes you lock your car doors. DeCamp's offices are locate in the center, with a tattoo parlor to the left when you face the building.

The building has been renovated and so there is exposed brick on the inside. I was taken into the office via the back alley door, which is where employees park. There is at least one, nor more than two, office on the left, bookcases and a wall of fame for DeCamp on the right. DeCamp's paralegal, Gregory Tyrell stopped to show me the wall of fame, which had photos of DeCamp with famous people and framed newspaper headlines from the Franklin scandal. Just past the offices and wall is a door (left again) to a conference room. The conference room is open to a loft area, where there are more offices. Continuing on past the conference room is the reception area, which had no receptionist. The stairs to the loft were to the right as you exited from the back. Noticeably missing were ringing telephones.

After an initial bizarre meeting with DeCamp, he asked me to follow him to his office. I expected this to be in the same building, but John DeCamp's office is not in this same space. We exited the building via the front door and went immediately in another door to the right. We went up a flight of stairs and came out into a room that was probably 20 X 30 feet. Directly ahead was an archway that led into another space. To the left was a small office with a glass wall. Behind that wall was an elderly woman: a Secretary. DeCamp walked me through the archway and into a large hallway. There was a closed door to the left and an open door to the right, with a window at the end. There was nothing in the space. John DeCamp's office contains large conference room table, a loveseat and two Queen Anne style armchairs (all matching tacky blue velvet), a bookcase/credenza and a desk. Behind his desk is a deep window sill where he keeps photos of his family. There was nothing, NOTHING, in his office other than the pictures. His desk had a wooden in/out box set with nothing in them. There was an internet print-out on the Franklin matter on DeCamp's desk, with a highlighted handwritten note (feminine script) saying, "John, They're talking about you again." I was there for a specific purpose and was growing impatient with DeCamp so I asked him if he might find a key to the secure file room in his desk. John DeCamp opened his desk drawers one at a time and looked in them. In his middle drawer was a pen and a small stack of Post-It notes. There was nothing in any of the three drawers to the left. The three drawers to the right were all empty with the exception of two wooden blocks, approximately 2X4X1/2 inch thick, face down.

DeCamp and I exited the room and he walked me across the hallway to his file room, the one that William Colby allegedly told him he had entered on a number of occasions. DeCamp makes it sound like this is a feat that could only be accomplished by a well-schooled spy, but this is the same type of lock set up you'd find in most homes: a $10.00 Schlage knob picked up on special from Home Depot.

DeCamp didn't have a key so I suggested he ask his Secretary if he could use her copy. She did not have a copy so DeCamp asked a young woman who had joined his elderly Secretary, if she had a key to the file room. She said, "I did, but Johnny (John's 19 yr. old son) borrowed it last year to have a copy made but I never got mine back." That would have put Johnny DeCamp at 18 years of age.

I left there with a lot of questions about DeCamp, starting with questions about the lack of any evidence to suggest there was legal work taking place there, and including but not limited to questions about why DeCamp would allow his teenaged son access to a room that allegedly contained photos and files on the disturbing Franklin scandal.
Paloma

PreviousNext

Return to Franklin Scandal