economic slowdown rattling the chinese high command..

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

economic slowdown rattling the chinese high command..

Postby bigearth » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:06 am

Slowdown threatens stability, says China PM

By Geoff Dyer in Beijing and David Pilling in Hong Kong

Published: November 3 2008 18:55 | Last updated: November 3 2008 18:55

Wen Jiabao, China’s prime minister, warned that high growth was needed to maintain social stability as fresh evidence emerged on Monday that China’s economy was slowing quickly.

In an article in a Communist party magazine, Mr Wen said 2008 was “the most difficult year in recent years” and maintaining high growth was the priority.

EDITOR’S CHOICE
Lex: Chinese alarm bells - Nov-03
Output cuts spark fears over China economy - Oct-29
China moves to bolster economy - Oct-23
Chinese IPO offers hope in grim climate - Oct-22
Neighbours fear fallout from fall in Chinese demand - Oct-21
Lex: China slows - Oct-20

We must be crystal-clear that without a certain pace of economic growth, there will be difficulties with employment, fiscal revenues and social development . . . and factors damaging social stability will grow,” he wrote in the magazine, Seeking Truth.

Slowdown fears in China were exacerbated by two surveys of the manufacturing sector which both showed a sharp decline. The China purchasing managers’ index compiled by the brokerage CLSA fell from 47.7 points to 45.2 points in October – the steepest monthly fall and the lowest point since the index was started in 2004. Meanwhile, a government-backed survey of manufacturers dropped 6.6 points to 44.6 in October, also a record fall.

The Chinese figures came as Manmohan Singh, India’s prime minister, said New Delhi was ready to boost public spending and cut interest rates to sustain economic growth. In Seoul, South Korea unveiled an $11bn stimulus package – the second package in less than three weeks.

The Chinese figures came after an official at the central bank indicated that government quotas on new bank lending had been abandoned.

Stephen Roach, chairman of Morgan Stanley Asia, said the flurry of recent announcements could indicate that Chinese authorities knew growth had already dipped below 8 per cent.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2008

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6ae840de-a9d7 ... 07658.html
. is it a wise man, who knows that he is not wise
. it's good to have cynicism but not be cynical
. the more truth you live with, in your life, the stronger you are
. intelligence is merely an attitude to knowledge and learning
bigearth

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby zhivkov » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:32 am

Thank you-I saved that article to my favorites because I have a horrible feeling that I am hoping doesn't come to pass; that when the global economic crisis really gets underway the world's powerful countries are going to be tempted to create wars and other diversions to steer their populations towards phony patriotism-my country being a prime example after September 11 2001.
"you gave me in secret one thing to perceive, the tall blue starry strangeness of being here at all"-Franz Wright
zhivkov

Postby bigearth » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:36 pm

well said :)
. is it a wise man, who knows that he is not wise
. it's good to have cynicism but not be cynical
. the more truth you live with, in your life, the stronger you are
. intelligence is merely an attitude to knowledge and learning
bigearth

Return to Economics