Familiar with Economics, Mises, Anthony Sutton, C. Quigley?

Moderators: DrVolin, 82_28, Elvis, Jeff

Familiar with Economics, Mises, Anthony Sutton, C. Quigley?

Postby TheBlackSheep » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:27 am

I'm really not familiar with economics, it's one of my biggest blind spots I think. I have a question, I'm reading through Tragedy and Hope and according to Quigley, the international bankers were highly in favor of a gold standard for currency. I am pretty sure that at leas Ludwig von Mises advocated that, and I'm not sure becuase I haven't read the books, but it seems like Anthony C Sutton might have written books advocating the gold standard.

Am I wrong about these things? Has something changed in the banking/international banking industry. I will continue to read on and see if it is mentioned in Tragedy and Hope, but since this book is huge and the amount of information available out there is endless, and because I have a restless curiousity, I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on this.
TheBlackSheep

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Familiar with Economics, Mises, Anthony Sutton, C. Quigl

Postby stefano » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:03 am

I don't know if bankers would really have been in favour of staying on the gold standard. They might have said they were, like most economists, but there are greater opportunities for profit under a fiat system, because money supply grows so much faster and the banks handle the money. It's possible that they only realised this once the new system was in place - Nixon's abandonment of the gold standard was essentially a debt default forced by a sluggish economy and the enormous costs of the Vietnam War and 'Great Society' programmes.

Nixon Shock

Bretton Woods system (quite long)
stefano

Re: Familiar with Economics, Mises, Anthony Sutton, C. Quigl

Postby TheBlackSheep » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:18 am

Thanks for the input, I'll look into the links you sent.
TheBlackSheep

Return to Economics