Major YouTube Outage

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Major YouTube Outage

Postby Karmamatterz » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:25 pm

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/16/179 ... own-outage

Cannot get YouTube to load in any browser. Even my work accounts show that won't play any videos.
Karmamatterz

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Major YouTube Outage

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:19 am

I was definitely aware of this last night. Of course,compared to the day long AT&T outage on Monday (which took out Spectrum as well), it seemed a rather minor event. Also minor compared to 100,000 people having their electricity shut off in California to avoid the possibility of fires from the winds. California burns while in Texas the flood waters are rising and the rain isn't stopping. In fact, there's much, much more on its way up from S and Central America.

What do you think is going on? Are we approaching the end of civilization as we know it? :cheers:
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby Karmamatterz » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:42 am

Right, in the grand scheme of things it was a fart in the breeze and didn't harm anyone like fires and floods.

I was chugging along last night reading a thread that had several video links and noticed the server error message. At first I thought my browser was mucked up with malware. Would be nice if YouTube would give us an idea of what happened, but likely they won't divulge much. My first thought was somehow DNS records got munched up as that can take anything offline instantly, or close to it depending on how long they DNS servers cache their records.

Saw this in a search, sorta humorous:

@PhillyPolice
12h12 hours ago
More
Yes, our @YouTube is down, too. No, please don't call 911 - we can't fix it.
Karmamatterz

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:45 am

I wonder if anyone actually called 911 about it. :lol2: There were numerous conspiracy theories about the outage posted on YouTube probably within minutes of it being back on line. The main one I saw is that it was shutdown to prevent some unauthorized disclosure of alien activity on the moon or black ops technology of our own.
And at the same time,
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Postby DrEvil » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:11 pm

^^I can pretty much guarantee that people called 911. I still remember a story from years ago when LA had a major blackout and people were calling 911, freaked out about all the lights in the sky. They'd never seen the stars before. :)
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Karmamatterz » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:31 pm

Blackout 1994.

Hard to imagine people haven't had the pleasure of seeing stars from a desolate locale with no ambient light.

https://timeline.com/los-angeles-light- ... d60d5acd43

Philadelphia Police

Verified account

@PhillyPolice
Oct 16
More
No, we're serious - we don't know how to fix it! Maybe there is a YouTube video on how to do...wait.
Karmamatterz

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:29 am

That's a pretty sad commentary on what passes for life in the civilized world and no wonder there's so little concern about the issues that affect our planet. By and large when they go on a vacay people simply flock to another light and noise saturated location.
And at the same time,
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Return to SLAD Newswire