Rules for Current Events

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Rules for Current Events

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Thu May 10, 2018 4:26 pm

Welcome to the Current Events forum! As this forum is new and members have wondered how this forum will differ from others, here are the rules pertinent to this forum only:

Rules for Current Events

1. This forum is for members to post news stories of recent interest. Members are asked to post the story and link for events that have occurred within the past 48 hours. Exceptions to this time frame will be allowed on a case-by-case basis by the mods.

2. Please make the thread title identical to the title of the current events article being linked to the Original Post.

3. Members are allowed to post up to 20 Original Posts in Current Events per day. Please keep the subject of the OPs to news stories and events and avoid posting opinion columns. Opinion columns on the event in the OP can be posted as a reply.

4. Members can post their own opinions in the OP accompanying the text and link to the event.

5. Within the body of the OP, please copy and paste the story and link. Please use discretion; if the story is excessively long, just post the first four paragraphs and accompanying link.

6. Any OP violating these rules will be deleted at the moderator's discretion.

If members have any other questions, feel free to ask a moderator. Thanks!
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: Rules for Current Events

Postby JackRiddler » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:57 am

I will not use corporate news headlines word-for-word as thread titles. These have always been the most carefully designed and manipulative element in print propaganda. They are written by editors rather than reporters, in the knowledge that 90% of readers will read only the headline of a given story, just as 90% of movie or TV viewers will see only the poster (cf. HMW, 2002, pp. 1-4212). Repeating them as headlines, even to criticize, also transports the inherent spin or stereotyping of a story's meaning before it is even reported. Corporate media headlines used as thread titles are a plague of this board. General titles on a given current events topic are preferable. I will have to stick to General Discussion as long as that rule is enforced on Current Events. Here, today, is a thread for discussing the $289 million verdict in the Monsanto case and its various pre-histories and potential ramifications.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41240
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to SLAD Newswire