Mexico! "Amlo" wins.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Mexico! "Amlo" wins.

Postby 82_28 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:17 am

Why am I the only one bringing this up? Not just here. Everywhere. Anyway, interesting days now with America's marginalized southern neighbor.

Mexico election: historic landslide victory for leftist Amlo

A baseball-loving left-wing nationalist who has vowed to crack down on corruption, rein in Mexico’s war on drugs and rule for the poor has been elected president of Latin America’s second-largest economy.

Andrés Manuel López Obrador, a silver-haired 64-year-old who is best known as Amlo and counts Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn among his friends, was elected with at least 53% of the vote, according to a quick count by Mexico’s electoral commission.

López Obrador’s closest rival, Ricardo Anaya from the National Action party (PAN), received around 22% while José Antonio Meade, a career civil servant running for the Institutional Revolutionary party, or PRI, which ruled Mexico for most of last century, came in third with around 16%.

Addressing the media after those results were announced, López Obrador vowed to repay the trust put in him by millions of Mexicans. “I will govern with rectitude and justice. I will not fail you. I will not disappoint you. I won’t betray the people,” he said.

Mexico’s president-elect vowed to rule for people of all social classes, all sexual orientations and all points of view. “We will listen to everyone. We will care for everyone. We will respect everyone,” he said. “But we will give priority to the most humble and to the forgotten.”
'Hopefully he's different': Mexico seems poised to elect Amlo as next president
Read more

Earlier, with exit polls pointing to an Amlo landslide, his rivals began conceding defeat. “For the good of Mexico I wish him the very best of luck,” said Meade.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... de-victory
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Mexico! "Amlo" wins.

Postby Elvis » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:56 am

Wow! If BBC mentioned this, I missed it.

Google News check, LA Times warns that Obrador means a return to a "grim past." :roll: This should be interesting.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to SLAD Newswire