Democrats Block Ocasio-Cortez’s Green New Deal Committee

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:58 pm

Henceforth going to be adding Green New Deal material to the Modern Monetary Theory thread.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41320&start=105#p667796

The program being developed under this banner is very much tied to MMT and money as "public purpose."

Today's breaking news - and defining the battle lines is definitely only the end of a first act of many.

https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Dem ... -0012.html

http://www.telesurenglish.net

teleSUR / ne-VC
21 December 2018

Despite weeks of protests demanding Democrats to push for a Green New Deal, the Democratic leadership blocked Thursday a proposal by congresswoman-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to form a committee that would have drafted the New Deal project.

Instead, they've decided to back a plan by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi to revive a global warming panel lead by representative Kathy Castor.

The move sparked controversy because Castor has dismissed calls to bar people who accept money from fossil fuel companies from serving on the committee, saying it would violate the right to free speech.

“I don’t think you can do that under the First Amendment, really,” Castor said before backtracking. “Maybe that’s a discussion we need to have in the caucus,” she added.

Over the course of a few weeks, the campaign for a Green New Deal gained a striking amount of support. In an open letter last Friday, more than 300 state and local officials said they supported a Green New Deal.

Though Ocasio-Cortez's proposed committee has been struck down, the movement in support of it has pushed debates around climate change towards policies that could have an impact on carbon emissions and income inequality.

“We don’t have time to sit on our hands as our planet burns,” the congresswoman-elect said in a tweet.

“For young people, climate change is bigger than election or re-election. It’s life or death. Loading a climate committee w/ fossil fuel money is akin to letting foxes in the henhouse. We shouldn’t be afraid to lead.”

RELATED:
Ocasio-Cortez Won’t Join AIPAC's Israel Trip

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Democrats Block Ocasio-Cortez’s Green New Deal Committee

Postby DrEvil » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:29 pm

Well of course! Can't risk pissing off their paymasters. This kind of talk about "new deals" is dangerous and subversive. It could change things and cost them money. And of course big oil should have a say on the approved committee. We can't restrict their freedom to lie, that's un-American!

Motherfuckers.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to SLAD Newswire