Bloomberg makes preparations for 2020 run

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby stillrobertpaulsen » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:30 pm

By ALEX THOMPSON , ELENA SCHNEIDER and MARC CAPUTO
11/07/2019 05:38 PM EST

Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg is preparing to file paperwork to qualify for the Democratic presidential primary in Alabama, ahead of a Friday deadline. The move would be a first step toward a national campaign, though Bloomberg has not made a final decision to run.

"We now need to finish the job and ensure that Trump is defeated — but Mike is increasingly concerned that the current field of candidates is not well positioned to do that," longtime Bloomberg aide Howard Wolfson said in an email. "If Mike runs he would offer a new choice to Democrats built on a unique record running America’s biggest city, building a business from scratch and taking on some of America’s toughest challenges as a high-impact philanthropist."

Bloomberg has engaged in a will-he-or-won't-he routine for longer than a decade about running for president, but declined to jump in each time. Earlier this year, he was exploring a bid, only to bow out after former Vice President Joe Biden made clear he would run.

"I believe I would defeat Donald Trump in a general election," Bloomberg wrote in March. "But I am clear-eyed about the difficulty of winning the Democratic nomination in such a crowded field."

"He's tired of being the almost-ran," said one former Bloomberg adviser on Thursday after The New York Post reported news of his moves. "Mortality is weighing heavily on him. This is the last time that he can run."

more...

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/11/0 ... ary-000322

Delusional idiot; proof billions cannot buy brains. His entry would only assure the one thing he doesn't want: Warren or Sanders will get the nomination. All he can do is siphon off votes from Biden/Buttigieg; there is no other large group of voters who've been holding back awaiting the entry of this charismatic rock star. Will he then spend as much helping either of them defeat Trump as he is going to spend on his own vanity campaign? Would you like to buy a bridge I heard is on sale in Brooklyn? Bernie's right: billionaires should be taxed out of existence.
"Huey Long once said, “Fascism will come to America in the name of anti-fascism.” I'm afraid, based on my own experience, that fascism will come to America in the name of national security."
-Jim Garrison 1967
stillrobertpaulsen

Blog: View Blog (37)

Re: Bloomberg makes preparations for 2020 run

Postby Elvis » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:53 pm

I groaned when I heard the rumor of Bloomberg entering the race. SRP, I just hope you're right about this part! —

stillrobertpaulsen wrote: His entry would only assure the one thing he doesn't want: Warren or Sanders will get the nomination.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to SLAD Newswire