7/7 trainer/informer freed by US after just 5 years

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

7/7 trainer/informer freed by US after just 5 years

Postby Jeff » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:13 am

Jihadi who helped train 7/7 bomber freed by US after just five years

Exclusive: Release prompts claim Islamist was US informant while assisting London terrorist

Shiv Malik
guardian.co.uk, Sunday 13 February 2011

An American jihadist who set up the terrorist training camp where the leader of the 2005 London suicide bombers learned how to manufacture explosives, has been quietly released after serving only four and a half years of a possible 70-year sentence, a Guardian investigation has learned.

The unreported sentencing of Mohammed Junaid Babar to "time served" because of what a New York judge described as "exceptional co-operation" that began even before his arrest has raised questions over whether Babar was a US informer at the time he was helping to train the ringleader of the 7 July tube and bus bombings.

Lawyers representing the families of victims and survivors of the attacks have compared the lenient treatment of Babar to the controversial release of the Lockerbie bomber, Abdelbaset al-Megrahi.

Babar was imprisoned in 2004 – although final sentencing was deferred – after pleading guilty in a New York court to five counts of terrorism. He set up the training camp in Pakistan where Mohammad Sidique Khan and several other British terrorists learned about bomb-making and how to use combat weapons.

Babar admitted to being a dangerous terrorist who consorted with some of the highest-ranking members of al-Qaida, providing senior members with money and equipment, running weapons, and planning two attempts to assassinate the former president of Pakistan, General Pervez Musharraf.

But in a deal with prosecutors for the US attorney's office, Babar agreed to plead guilty and become a government supergrass in return for a drastically reduced sentence.

The Guardian has obtained a court document which shows that on 10 December last year – six years after his initial arrest and subsequent guilty plea – he was sentenced to "time served" and charged $500 (£310) by the court in a "special assessment" fee. The document also reveals that Babar had by then spent just over four years in some form of prison and more than two years free on bail.

Graham Foulkes, a magistrate whose 22-year-old son David was killed by Khan at Edgware Road underground station in 2005, said: "People get four and a half years for burglary. They can get more for some road traffic offences. So for an international terrorist who's directly linked to the death of my son and dozens and dozens of people to get that sentence is just outrageous."

Fifty-two people were killed and 784 injured on 7 July 2005 when four suicide bombers detonated rucksacks filled with explosives and nails on London's transport system in the morning rush hour.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/feb/1 ... mber-freed
Jeff
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 7/7 trainer/informer freed by US after just 5 years

Postby Byrne » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:31 pm

Byrne

Re: 7/7 trainer/informer freed by US after just 5 years

Postby 8bitagent » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:40 pm

Simply explosive. Funny how the masterminds and plotters behind the Bali bombing, USS Cole, 7/7 and Madrid attacks are all free?
I've researched most of the major terror attacks in the last 15 years, and so many of them have direct ties to informants, protected operatives, intel agencies or other spook groups.

Hell Adnan Shukrujumah, Mamoun Darkazanli and Abdullah Mohdar worked hand in glove with Mohamed Atta yet were all released or protected by US and German intelligence.

This father of one of the 7/7 victims lays it out perfectly, regarding the CIA, MI5 and this Junaid Babar guy:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/feb/1 ... -questions
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Return to 7/7 London bombings