FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Postby DrEvil » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:09 pm

Synchronic is probably my least favorite of theirs, exactly because it felt too polished. It had some great individual scenes (ice age man), but it just felt like a movie, not a Benson and Moorhead movie, if that makes any sense.

For something completely different, Happy Valley season three just started. Only British show I need subtitles for, but it's worth it.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Harvey » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:08 am

Harvey » Mon May 04, 2020 2:18 am wrote:Watching Mike Nichols Catch 22

Elem Klimov's Come and See

and Seftel/Cusack's War inc in quick succession, I realise these works have a great deal to say to each other.

And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Gnomad » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:24 pm

I have been watching a few episodes of this most nights before sleep. Recommend. Serene, beautiful, thoughtful.
https://nyaa.si/download/1285288.torrent - japanese audio, english subs

https://myanimelist.net/anime/457/Mushishi/
Synopsis

"Mushi": the most basic forms of life in the world. They exist without any goals or purposes aside from simply "being." They are beyond the shackles of the words "good" and "evil." Mushi can exist in countless forms and are capable of mimicking things from the natural world such as plants, diseases, and even phenomena like rainbows.

This is, however, just a vague definition of these entities that inhabit the vibrant world of Mushishi, as to even call them a form of life would be an oversimplification. Detailed information on Mushi is scarce because the majority of humans are unaware of their existence.

So what are Mushi and why do they exist? This is the question that a "Mushishi," Ginko, ponders constantly. Mushishi are those who research Mushi in hopes of understanding their place in the world's hierarchy of life.

Ginko chases rumors of occurrences that could be tied to Mushi, all for the sake of finding an answer.

It could, after all, lead to the meaning of life itself.

Mushishi is an adaptation of Yuki Urushibara's award-winning manga of the same name. The series adapts the first 26 chapters of the manga, adapting one per episode. The anime aired these stories in a different order than that of the manga.

The series won the Tokyo Anime Award in the Television category in 2006. The series premiered on October 23, 2005, but went on hiatus on March 12, 2006 after having aired 20 episodes. Broadcast resumed on May 15, and aired the remaining 6 episodes, concluding on June 19, 2006.
la nuit de tous approche
Gnomad

Postby Harvey » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:36 pm

We are now three months into the year of our Lord, 2023.

And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:42 pm

https://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieS ... %20Address
American Rhetoric: Movie Speech

"Prometheus" (2012)

Peter Weyland's TED 2023 Address

--------------------------------

T.E. Lawrence, eponymously of Arabia, but very much an Englishman, favored pinching a burning match between his fingers to put it out. When asked by his colleague, William Potter, to reveal his trick -- how is it he so effectively extinguished the flame without hurting himself whatsoever -- Lawrence just smiled and said, "The trick, Potter, is not minding it hurts."

The fire that danced at the end of that match was a gift from the Titan, Prometheus, a gift that he stole from the gods, who were terrified of what we might do with it were it to fall into our hairy little paws.

When Prometheus was caught and brought to justice for his theft, the gods, well, you might say they overreacted a little. The poor man was tied to a rock as an eagle ripped through his belly and ate his liver over and over, day after day, ad infinitum. All because he gave us fire, our first true piece of technology. Fire.

Such a very long time ago. Which begs the question: What have we done with?

100,000, BC: Stone tools.

4,000, BC: The wheel.

800, BC: Sundial.

9th century, AD: Gunpowder. Bit of a game-changer, that one.

1441: The printing press -- only slightly less impactful.

19th century: Steam engine. Railway. Eureka! The light bulb!!

20th century: The automobile, television, nuclear weapons, spacecrafts, Internet.

21st century: Biotech, nanotech, fusion and fission, and M-theory -- and that was just the first decade.

We are now three months into the year of our Lord, 2023. At this moment in our civilization, we are on the verge of terraforming planets undiscovered just a decade ago. We have identified the genetic chain of events behind 98% of cancers -- a chain we have broken, effectively curing them. We can create cybernetic individuals who, in just a few short years, will be completely indistinguishable from us.

Which leads to an obvious conclusion: We are the gods now.

I haven't been struck down. I take that to mean I'm right.

We wield incredible power -- the power to transform, to destroy and to create again. The question, of course, before us is, "What the hell are we supposed to do with this power?" Or, more importantly, one should ask, "What are we allowed to do with this power?

The answer to that, my friends, is nothing. Rules, restrictions, laws, ethical guidelines -- all but forbidding us from moving forwards. Well, where were the ethics during the Arabian conflicts? Why are rules preventing us from feeding impoverished cultures? How is there a law which states, "If we build a man from wires and metal -- a man who will never grow old, a man who will never feel the heat of a star or the cold of the moon -- how is the creation of such an incredible individual considered unnatural?"

The answer to all these questions is simple: These rules exist because the people who created them were afraid of what would happen if they didn't.

Well I am not afraid!

For those of you who know me, you will be aware by now that my ambition is unlimited. You know that I will settle for nothing short of greatness, or I will die trying.

For those of you who do not yet know me, allow me to introduce myself:

My name is Peter Weyland.

And if you’ll indulge me, I’d like to change the world.
Belligerent Savant

Previous

Return to L'Encyclopedie