FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: films of a certain quality

Postby Harvey » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:17 pm

Wristcutters: A Love Story from 2006. How I did not encounter this before now? Y'all seen this? Wonderful.

And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Harvey » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:18 pm

Wombaticus Rex » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:44 am wrote:A Hidden Life was indeed amazing.

Jesus Shows You The Way To The Highway starts off inscrutable but is very worth it. It also doesn't get any more scrutable. Really nice, oddly timeless, euro-afro surrealsploitation.

You had me at surrealsploitation. Tonights film, hopefully.

Edit: Wow. I'll have to look at all the other films Miguel Llansó has worked on. Remarkable, and frankly, it kicks the living shit out of Ready Player One. Thanks!
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby Grizzly » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:16 am

sixty one pages of excellent films, but where can one see any of these? Where do you guys watch these magnificent productions? Up until ten years ago we had an incredible iconic video rental place here in Missoula, called The Crystal theatre, where one could find many, many foreign , independent and provocative films that broke out of the Amorica mundane 7 literary plots. I so miss those times.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby lucky » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:22 am

Grizzly » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:16 am wrote:sixty one pages of excellent films, but where can one see any of these? Where do you guys watch these magnificent productions? Up until ten years ago we had an incredible iconic video rental place here in Missoula, called The Crystal theatre, where one could find many, many foreign , independent and provocative films that broke out of the Amorica mundane 7 literary plots. I so miss those times.

It's pretty easy to find most movies on torrent sites (use a VPN if your security conscious) batflex.org is one i use but there are loads reddit has a good list.
There's holes in the sky where rain gets in
the holes are small
that's why rain is thin.
lucky

Postby Harvey » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:48 pm

Very dark, thought provoking (lowish budget?) and thankfully not at all graphic. The sheer malice inherent in the premise isolates the specific relationships in way which is entirely purposeful. The theme has cropped up in similar form a few times but I found this go around particularly fruitful and came away with several distinct readings of it. Elizabeth Harvest.

This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby Harvey » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:19 pm

Just came across this, so apt.

This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby cptmarginal » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:56 am

A huge step up from 2005's "The President's Last Bang" in meaningfully taking on the assassination of Park Chung-hee at a KCIA safehouse in 1979.

Between the Koreagate hearing scene in this film & the beginnings of the WACL being depicted in 2018's "The Drug King," Korean cinema goes deep.

cptmarginal

Postby Harvey » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:10 am

Watched Soylent Green after 35 years. It's today. Literally.
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby Harvey » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:38 pm

This rings true:

This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby Harvey » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:33 am

I saw Dark City again for the first time since childhood (Edit: hah! I remember it as being much further back in time than 1998!). Fittingly, it's a different story altogether, although it isn't the film which has changed. Perhaps the ultimate comment on the themes operating behind the Mandela effect.

Due to proximity more than anything, I see similar themes emerging within the rather excellent series Raised By Wolves which I've just seen. The story is dense with allusion and symbolism, the images profoundly unsettling and both the repetition and upending of science fictional tropes particularly well handled. Ultimately the show poses more questions than answers, packing more philosophical enquiry into a small screen science fiction epic than anything I've seen for a while. I enjoyed my cumulative ambivalence, arising from the ambiguities built into almost every scene. And I'm actually looking forward to a second series!

This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby Harvey » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:31 am

A couple of small but rather engaging films exploring the shifting territory we know and love, both very enjoyable.

Without Name 2016

The Wave 2020

This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby DrEvil » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:47 am

Harvey » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:33 pm wrote:I saw Dark City again for the first time since childhood (Edit: hah! I remember it as being much further back in time than 1998!). Fittingly, it's a different story altogether, although it isn't the film which has changed. Perhaps the ultimate comment on the themes operating behind the Mandela effect.

Due to proximity more than anything, I see similar themes emerging within the rather excellent series Raised By Wolves which I've just seen. The story is dense with allusion and symbolism, the images profoundly unsettling and both the repetition and upending of science fictional tropes particularly well handled. Ultimately the show poses more questions than answers, packing more philosophical enquiry into a small screen science fiction epic than anything I've seen for a while. I enjoyed my cumulative ambivalence, arising from the ambiguities built into almost every scene. And I'm actually looking forward to a second series!

Huh, I had the exact opposite reaction. The more I watched the more I hated it. Granted, I came at it from a scifi-nerd angle and was looking forward to a big-budget science fiction show. What I got was another Ridley Scott abomination that masquerades as science fiction but is anything but. Peter Watts has an excellent review:

Raised by Wolves. Written by Idiots
https://www.rifters.com/crawl/?p=9444
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Through Weapon Eyes, darkly.

Postby Harvey » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:52 am

Thanks for that. I think the review perfectly exemplifies why I rate the show so highly. The reviewer scratches at many of the seams of his unease but can't quite place himself in the centre of the show's concerns. He sees the show as primarily about others, religious fanatics perhaps, about their failure to be like him.

Tellingly:

It was almost as though “Raised by Wolves” had somehow regressed us...

To get at some of what I see, imagine the robots as gods manufactured by men through science but given form and purpose not so much by myths as by the unconscious source of all such myths. Imagine these robots then hastily reprogrammed and repurposed by a later adept, imagine they now represent corporate technocracy, to embody the degraded and regressed knowledge of the programmer himself, sending them off to rear children on an alien world he's never known, to create a society he's never known and you have a metaphor for world crashing hubris in the form of human desperation. Recall Father's abstracted self after being brute force reprogrammed again? (He contains ghosts.) The robots are the real innocents while the children come with a billion years of tooth and claw pre installed. All of these observations are stories about story.

In other words, imagine a being which is programmed and reprogrammed endlessly. Better still, imagine an ancient book endlessly re-written and re-writing itself and over written by you as you read it. A living palimpsest.

Then wake up from the dream and look around.
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:50 am

Harvey » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:31 am wrote:A couple of small but rather engaging films exploring the shifting territory we know and love, both very enjoyable.

[...watched...]

The Wave 2020

Fun and engaging puzzle snack. Still, it made me yearn for something more ambitious, willing to be untidy, political, realistic.

Now...

Who in the Anglosphere has made anything like this recently? Cinema verite meets media theory, nouvelle vague crossed with social realism. Cassavetes, Godard, Robert Drew in one package. Can't believe I only just saw it for first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA5BXLIdOec

Note: Was initially rated X! X for politics, apparently.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby Harvey » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:26 pm

Cheers Jack. The opening scene is stunning. Will report back momentarily.

Wanted to say, together with After.Life and Comet, The Wave seems to form an unintentional trilogy of sorts.

This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie