Quote Only Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Quote Only Thread

Postby liminalOyster » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:18 am

Natasha Lennard in Being Numerous. wrote:The new atheists, such as evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins, or social critics Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris—the worst of all ghostbusters—demand the universe, however physically massive, be as small and legible as possible. They would do well to consult some better empiricists. Willard Van Orman Quine, a twentieth-century American logician and philosopher, had little time for ghosts, but even less time for the sort of bad thinking that organizes the world into stable, immovable categories that could never allow for ghosts. Quine thought our theories of the world should be considered webs of belief, with centers and peripheries. At the center of the web are propositions we might call analytically true, or a priori—for instance, 2 + 2 = 4; or all bachelors are unmarried. On the periphery are beliefs that can be changed based on some recalcitrant experiences; for example, if one believes there are no red-haired French people, but then meets a few red-haired French people, the original belief is easily revised. Quine rejected that these are actually two different types of truth, epistemologically (i.e., really). Given the right, albeit dramatic, alterations to a belief web, 2 + 2 = 4 could be false, and not just by swapping around the meaning of words.

"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby chump » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:21 pm

"It's incorrect to call Cambridge Analytica a purely sort of data science company, or an algorithm company. It is a full service propaganda company. Steve Bannon was the editor of Breitbart. He follows this idea of the Breitbart Doctrine; which is that if you want to fundamentally change society, you first have to break it, and then it's only when you break it [that] you can remold the pieces into your vision of a new society."
chump

Postby liminalOyster » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:36 pm

Stephen Cohen wrote: "You and I have to ask a subversive question: are there really three branches of government, or is there a fourth branch of government—these intel services?"
liminalOyster

Postby liminalOyster » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:13 pm

Joe Biden wrote:"I've condemned [violence] across the board," / "If we were in high school, I'd take [Trump] behind the gym and beat the hell out of him,'"
liminalOyster

Postby Cordelia » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:58 pm

My paintings know more than I do.

Gerhard Richter
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Grizzly » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:50 pm

I needed that Cordelia! Thank you.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby Cordelia » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:27 am

You're welcome Griz! :hug1:

I needed that too. (Danke schön Herr Richter.) :praybow

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby Elvis » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:42 am

"It seems to be what we have now is a political system which has essentially become, for the last thirty or forty years, a war on the human imagination."

— David Graeber, at the Royal Society for the Arts, 2015
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby dada » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:53 pm

What is it to the imagination whether the war has been waged against it for the last thirty or forty years, the last three or four hundred, or three or four thousand. Or thirty or forty minutes, thirty or forty seconds. In the imagination, time works differently.

The war on the imagination is finally decided on the battlefield of the imagination, where it must become imaginary. Logic dictates this.

The imagination cannot be defeated on its own ground. A source of endless frustration for any army that rebels against it.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby dada » Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:53 pm

To take it one step further, we could say that it's the human imagination who started the war. The imagination creates a world for the express purpose of being invaded. A trap world, made of bug zappers and super-sticky glue-paper.

These are very old ideas.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Elvis » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:35 am

Graeber completes his above thought:

"...to convince us there are no new ideas."
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby dada » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:33 am

Who can be convinced that there are no new ideas? Only those who don't have any.

Maybe the opposite of a new idea isn't an old one, but a used idea, bought second-hand. A very old idea can cost as much as a brand new one.
dada

Postby Grizzly » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:08 pm

@dada

Did you write that? it's awesome. :thumbsup

Bravo everyone! Thought food, yum!
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby dada » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:13 am

I wrote it. My words know more than I do, though. They tell me what to write, I pretty much just take dictation at this point.
dada

Postby Cordelia » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:55 am

Life asked death, 'Why do people love me but hate you? '

Death responded, 'Because you are a beautiful lie and I am a painful truth.

Author Unknown

Cordelia

PreviousNext

Return to L'Encyclopedie