Edward Snowden, American Hero

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Edward Snowden, American Hero

Postby RocketMan » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:20 pm

Edward Snowden NSA whistleblowing story to be filmed by Oliver Stone

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/ju ... iver-stone

He has tackled the Kennedy assassination and the Watergate break-in, the Vietnam conflict and the Bush administration's "war on terror". Now the Oscar-winning director Oliver Stone is set to whip up fresh controversy with his adaptation of The Snowden Files, an account of the ongoing NSA scandal written by the Guardian journalist Luke Harding.

Stone's thriller will focus on the experiences of the American whistleblower Edward Snowden, a contractor at the National Security Agency who leaked thousands of classified documents to the former Guardian columnist Glenn Greenwald back in June 2013. The film is to be produced by Stone's regular business partner Moritz Borman, with Harding and other Guardian journalists serving as production and story consultants.

"This is one of the greatest stories of our time," Stone, 67, said in a statement. "A real challenge. I'm glad to have the Guardian working with us." Stone's previous films include Platoon, JFK and W. The director has also made documentaries on Fidel Castro and Hugo Chavez, together with a 2012 TV series, Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States.

Snowden's revelations, first reported in the Guardian, lifted the lid on a culture of mass government surveillance, sparked a global furore and forced the Obama administration onto the back foot. Secretary of state John Kerry later conceded that the NSA's programme had "reached too far" and should be curtailed. Snowden's fate, however, remains in the balance. The former NSA employee has been granted temporary asylum in Russia but faces a 30-year prison sentence if he returns to the US.

Published earlier this year, The Snowden Files: The Inside Story of the World's Most Wanted Man charts the political awakening of the twentysomething Snowden, a committed Republican who found his libertarian values increasingly at odds with his government's surveillance programme. A review in the New York Times hailed Harding's book as "a fast-paced, almost novelistic narrative that is part bildungsroman and part cinematic thriller."

Oliver Stone at the Beijing international film festival
Oliver Stone, who will direct the biopic. Photograph: ChinaFotoPress via Getty Images
"The story of Edward Snowden is truly extraordinary, and the unprecedented revelations he brought to light have forever transformed our understanding of - and relationship with - government and technology," said Alan Rusbridger, the Guardian's editor-in-chief. "We're delighted to be working with Oliver Stone and Moritz Borman on the film."

Conceived as a European co-production, the film is due to start shooting before the end of 2014. But time is of the essence. Stone's film looks set to face competition from No Place to Hide, a rival project adapted from the book by Glenn Greenwald and overseen by James Bond producers Michael Wilson and Barbara Broccoli.

To his critics, Snowden remains a traitor whose actions have caused possibly irreparable damage to US intelligence capabilities. In the wake of last year's revelations, the ex-CIA director James Woolsey argued that if Snowden was convicted of treason, he should face the death penalty.

Supporters, by contrast, view the whistleblower as a patriot who acted purely in the public interest. "To me, Snowden is a hero," Stone said in July of last year. "He revealed secrets that we should all know, that the United States has repeatedly violated the fourth amendment."

The Guardian and the Washington Post both went on to win the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for public service for their groundbreaking reporting of NSA surveillance. On accepting the prize, Rusbridger paid tribute to Snowden's role in breaking the story. "The public service [citation] in this award is significant," he said. "Because Snowden performed a public service."
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Nordic » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:14 pm

I just realized why this whole "hero" vs "traitor" thing bugs me.

And it bugs me whenever I hear anyone say "that guy's a hero!"

Because of this:

You're supposed to do the right thing. Who wouldn't do the right thing? A douchebag or a coward. That's who.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby conniption » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:32 am

conniption

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:56 pm

WIRED
Edward Snowden The Untold Story

WIRED Magazine provides great coverage of Edward Snowden in their August issue that provides new details on Snowden’s background and experience, why he decided to blow the whistle as well as exposing important new aspects of the documents he has leaked. Snowden provides a history of his work at NSA that shows how he climbed the ladder to become a top technology person for the agency and in private industry thereby giving him access to all NSA documents. He also described how he was prepared to blow the whistle during the Bush administration but held out in the hope that President Obama would change course. He quickly became disenchanted with President Obama and decided there was no choice but to expose the NSA’s activities.Snowden WIRED Cover

WIRED has a series of stories but the centerpiece is by James Bamford. Bamford has been reporting on the NSA since the initials stood for “No Such Agency.” The New Yorker has described Bamford as the NSA’s Chief Chronicler. He has written numerous articles and books on the agency and US intelligence activities after working for the NSA and becoming a whistleblower himself. His first book, The Puzzle Palace: A Report on America’s Most Secret Agency, was published in 1982 and exposed details about agency few new existed. Five books later, his most recent book published in 2008, The Shadow Factory: The Ultra-Secret NSA from 9/11 to the Eavesdropping on America.

No doubt Bamford will be writing more now that the NSA’s internal workings have been exposed by whistleblowers. One thing Bamford shows in the article is that there is no doubt there is someone else (maybe more than one person) leaking documents from inside the NSA. He also makes it clear that no one (even Snowden) knows the extent of unreported information in the millions of pages Snowden released, but that the NSA is very scared that a ‘smoking gun’ will cause even greater trouble for the agency.

In Edward Snowden: The Untold Story, Bamford describes how it took nine months to arrange an interview with Edward Snowden ending with three solid days of interviews over three weeks. It is hard to imagine anyone better positioned to interview Snowden than Bamford. The interviews lived up to their potential and I strongly recommend reading the full article as the excerpts below are mere highlights of a very interesting story. In addition, WIRED has additional articles on the topic that also are worth reviewing.

Note, I serve on the advisory board of the Courage Foundation which is an international organization that supports those who risk life or liberty to to blow the whistle to ensure the public knows what government and major corporate interests are doing. Courage raised funds for the legal and public defense of specific individuals who fit these criteria and are subject to serious prosecution or persecution. Courage also campaigns for the protection of truthtellers and the public’s right to know. Donate here to support the work of Courage.

Snowden with General Michael Hayden at a gala in 2011. Hayden, former director of the NSA and CIA, defended US surveillance policies.
Snowden with General Michael Hayden at a gala in 2011. Hayden, former director of the NSA and CIA, defended US surveillance policies.
Excerpts:

His 31st birthday is a few days away. Snowden still holds out hope that he will someday be allowed to return to the US. “I told the government I’d volunteer for prison, as long as it served the right purpose,” he says. “I care more about the country than what happens to me. But we can’t allow the law to become a political weapon or agree to scare people away from standing up for their rights, no matter how good the deal. I’m not going to be part of that.”

Snowden no longer has access to them; he says he didn’t bring them with him to Russia. Copies are now in the hands of three groups: First Look Media, set up by journalist Glenn Greenwald and American documentary filmmaker Laura Poitras, the two original recipients of the documents;The Guardian newspaper, which also received copies before the British government pressured it into transferring physical custody (but not ownership) to The New York Times; and Barton Gellman, a writer forThe Washington Post.

That has left US officials in something like a state of impotent expectation, waiting for the next round of revelations, the next diplomatic upheaval, a fresh dose of humiliation. Snowden tells me it doesn’t have to be like this. He says that he actually intended the government to have a good idea about what exactly he stole. Before he made off with the documents, he tried to leave a trail of digital bread crumbs so investigators could determine which documents he copied and took and which he just “touched.” That way, he hoped, the agency would see that his motive was whistle-blowing and not spying for a foreign government. It would also give the government time to prepare for leaks in the future, allowing it to change code words, revise operational plans, and take other steps to mitigate damage. But he believes the NSA’s audit missed those clues and simply reported the total number of documents he touched—1.7 million. (Snowden says he actually took far fewer.) “I figured they would have a hard time,” he says. “I didn’t figure they would be completely incapable.”

Snowden speculates that the government fears that the documents contain material that’s deeply damaging—secrets the custodians have yet to find. “I think they think there’s a smoking gun in there that would be the death of them all politically,” Snowden says. “The fact that the government’s investigation failed—that they don’t know what was taken and that they keep throwing out these ridiculous huge numbers—implies to me that somewhere in their damage assessment they must have seen something that was like, ‘Holy shit.’ And they think it’s still out there.”

Yet it is very likely that no one knows precisely what is in the mammoth haul of documents—not the NSA, not the custodians, not even Snowden himself.

Snowden keeps close tabs on his evolving public profile, but he has been resistant to talking about himself. . . . he’s concerned that he may inadvertently detract from the cause he has risked his life to promote. “I’m an engineer, not a politician,” he says. “I don’t want the stage. I’m terrified of giving these talking heads some distraction, some excuse to jeopardize, smear, and delegitimize a very important movement.”

Snowden . . . is not . . . a wild-eyed firebrand but . . . a solemn, sincere idealist who—step by step over a period of years—grew disillusioned with his country and government.

He began to consider becoming a whistle-blower [during the Bush era], but with Obama about to be elected, he held off. “I think even Obama’s critics were impressed and optimistic about the values that he represented,” he says. “He said that we’re not going to sacrifice our rights. We’re not going to change who we are just to catch some small percentage more terrorists.” But Snowden grew disappointed as, in his view, Obama didn’t follow through on his lofty rhetoric. “Not only did they not fulfill those promises, but they entirely repudiated them,” he says. “They went in the other direction. What does that mean for a society, for a democracy, when the people that you elect on the basis of promises can basically suborn the will of the electorate?”

[Snowden’s disillusionment grew and] he would also begin to appreciate the enormous scope of the NSA’s surveillance capabilities, an ability to map the movement of everyone in a city by monitoring their MAC address, a unique identifier emitted by every cell phone, computer, and other electronic device.

Snowden’s concerns over the NSA’s capabilities and lack of oversight grew with each passing day. Among the discoveries that most shocked him was learning that the agency was regularly passing raw private communications—content as well as metadata—to Israeli intelligence. Usually information like this would be “minimized,” a process where names and personally identifiable data are removed. But in this case, the NSA did virtually nothing to protect even the communications of people in the US. This included the emails and phone calls of millions of Arab and Palestinian Americans whose relatives in Israel-occupied Palestine could become targets based on the communications. “I think that’s amazing,” Snowden says. “It’s one of the biggest abuses we’ve seen.”

He realized, just like [Senator Frank] Church had before him, that the only way to cure the abuses of the government was to expose them. But Snowden didn’t have a Senate committee at his disposal or the power of congressional subpoena. He’d have to carry out his mission covertly, just as he’d been trained.

. . . aware of the enormous potential consequences, he secretly went to work. “If the government will not represent our interests,” he says, his face serious, his words slow, “then the public will champion its own interests. And whistle-blowing provides a traditional means to do so.”

. . . he was also able to confirm, he says, that vast amounts of US communications “were being intercepted and stored without a warrant, without any requirement for criminal suspicion, probable cause, or individual designation.” He gathered that evidence and secreted it safely away.

He thought the work [involving cyber attacks against China] was overstepping the intelligence agency’s mandate. “It’s no secret that we hack China very aggressively,” he says. “But we’ve crossed lines. We’re hacking universities and hospitals and wholly civilian infrastructure rather than actual government targets and military targets. And that’s a real concern.”

[He discovered] the Mission Data Repository [in Utah]. (According to Snowden, the original name was Massive Data Repository, but it was changed after some staffers thought it sounded too creepy—and accurate.) Billions of phone calls, faxes, emails, computer-to-computer data transfers, and text messages from around the world flow through the MDR every hour. . . . Snowden was even more disturbed to discover a new, Strangelovian cyberwarfare program in the works, codenamed MonsterMind. . . . in order for the system to work, the NSA first would have to secretly get access to virtually all private communications coming in from overseas to people in the US. “The argument is that the only way we can identify these malicious traffic flows and respond to them is if we’re analyzing all traffic flows,” he says. “And if we’re analyzing all traffic flows, that means we have to be intercepting all traffic flows. That means violating the Fourth Amendment, seizing private communications without a warrant, without probable cause or even a suspicion of wrongdoing. For everyone, all the time.”

On March 13, 2013, sitting at his desk in the “tunnel” surrounded by computer screens, Snowden read a news story that convinced him that the time had come to act. It was an account of director of national intelligence James Clapper telling a Senate committee that the NSA does “not wittingly” collect information on millions of Americans.

More than anything, Snowden fears a blunder that will destroy all the progress toward reforms for which he has sacrificed so much. “I’m not self-destructive. I don’t want to self-immolate and erase myself from the pages of history. But if we don’t take chances, we can’t win,” he says. And so he takes great pains to stay one step ahead of his presumed pursuers—he switches computers and email accounts constantly. Nevertheless, he knows he’s liable to be compromised eventually: “I’m going to slip up and they’re going to hack me. It’s going to happen.”

Nor is he optimistic that the next election will bring any meaningful reform. In the end, Snowden thinks we should put our faith in technology—not politicians. “We have the means and we have the technology to end mass surveillance without any legislative action at all, without any policy changes.” The answer, he says, is robust encryption. “By basically adopting changes like making encryption a universal standard—where all communications are encrypted by default—we can end mass surveillance not just in the United States but around the world.”
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:10 am

Switzerland 'could grant Edward Snowden asylum if he testifies against NSA'

Swiss media say the Attorney General has also concluded that they would not extradite the whistleblower if the US request is considered politically motivated

Natasha Culzac

Monday, 8 September 2014
Switzerland would grant Edward Snowden asylum if he revealed the extent of espionage activities by the US government, recommendations by the Swiss Attorney General reportedly conclude.

According to Swiss newspaper Sonntags Zeitung, an official has said that Mr Snowden should be guaranteed safe entry and residency in the country, in return for his knowledge on America’s intelligence activities.

Last month, Mr Snowden was told he could remain in Russia for another three years.

He was not granted political asylum, but again awarded temporary residence as an extension of the one-year visa given to him last summer.

In the Swiss document, the question “What rules would apply if Edward Snowden is brought to Switzerland and the United States makes an extradition request?” was posed, leading officials to consider the diplomatic headache that would follow their acceptance of Mr Snowden as political refugee.

Whistleblowing controversies of the last decade

In it, four possibilities were reportedly examined, with the Attorney General stating that he would be interested in a testimony by Mr Snowden against the National Security Agency (NSA) and his full disclosure of its widespread surveillance.

Mr Snowden’s participation could be part of criminal proceedings or as part of a parliamentary inquiry, Swiss paper Le Matin says, and that extradition would be rejected if the country thinks it is being sought on political grounds or if the former assistant at the CIA faces the death penalty at home.

The report also states that the Swiss Office of Attorney General's Ministry of Public Confederation (MPC) is investigating the activities of “foreign states in Switzerland” including activities such as espionage.

As reported by Der Bund, however, the report does acknowledge that “upper-level government commitments” could create an obstacle.

Mr Snowden’s Swiss lawyer Marcel Bosonnet reportedly welcomed the conclusions, saying: “The legal requirements for safe conduct are met”, and said that Mr Snowden is interested in applying for asylum.

Following Mr Snowden’s extensive leak of NSA documents in 2013, he fled first to Hong Kong and then to Russia, living within the transit zone of Moscow’s Sheremetyevo Airport, before being granted residency in the country.

After the leak, he was charged by the US with theft of government property, unauthorised communication of national defence information and wilful communication of classified communications intelligence. Each charge has a maximum 10 years sentence.

In contrast to Switzerland, a Norwegian MP has today said that if Snowden wins the Nobel Peace Prize - for which he was nominated earlier this year - and travels to collect it, host country Norway would have no option but to arrest him.

According to The Nordic Page, conservative MP Michael Tetzschner said Norway can and should arrest him, fulfilling the international agreements they have.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby conniption » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:08 pm

Edward Snowden's Opening Address at the Moment of Truth

17:28 min
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wkwA2X2QqE

Published on Sep 16, 2014

Edward Snowden's Opening Address at the Moment of Truth

Kim Dotcom holds panel with Edward Snowden and Julian Assange to expand on revelations that New Zealand government sought to implement a top-secret mass surveillance program.

Recorded live at the New Zealand town hall meeting in Auckland.
With all of this surveillance, why are they not able to trace ISIS who are uploading videos every day

~

Full Video: (starts at 22:00)

The Moment of Truth

2:06:06
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbps1EwAW-0

Streamed live on Sep 15, 2014
conniption

Postby Spiro C. Thiery » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:24 pm

^^^^
So sprach Snowden:
Is it related to foreign intelligence if it’s collecting the communications of every man, woman, and child in the country of New Zealand? And you know, maybe, the people of New Zealand think that’s appropriate, maybe they think they want to sacrifice a certain measure of their liberty and say, it’s ok, if the government watches me. I’m concerned about terrorism; I’m concerned about foreign threats. We can have people in every country make that decision because that’s what democracy is about. That’s what self-government is about, but that decision doesn’t belong to John Key or officials in the GCSB, making these decisions behind closed doors, without public debate, without public consent. That decision, belongs exclusively to the people of that country.

More goalpost shifting horseshit. The braindead majority shouldn't be able to okay this either. What about inalienable rights?
Seeing the world through rose-colored latex.
Spiro C. Thiery

Postby bks » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:49 am

Is it related to foreign intelligence if it’s collecting the communications of every man, woman, and child in the country of New Zealand? And you know, maybe, the people of New Zealand think that’s appropriate, maybe they think they want to sacrifice a certain measure of their liberty and say, it’s ok, if the government watches me. I’m concerned about terrorism; I’m concerned about foreign threats. We can have people in every country make that decision because that’s what democracy is about.

Not bad for a sixth-grader.

Here's a thought for the next whistleblower: leak widely, and then say as little as necessary, maybe?
bks

Postby norton ash » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:09 am

bks » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:49 am wrote:
Is it related to foreign intelligence if it’s collecting the communications of every man, woman, and child in the country of New Zealand? And you know, maybe, the people of New Zealand think that’s appropriate, maybe they think they want to sacrifice a certain measure of their liberty and say, it’s ok, if the government watches me. I’m concerned about terrorism; I’m concerned about foreign threats. We can have people in every country make that decision because that’s what democracy is about.

Not bad for a sixth-grader.

Here's a thought for the next whistleblower: leak widely, and then say as little as necessary, maybe?

There are enough out there who'd literally shoot the messengers. Your condescension is appreciated, of course.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby bks » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:13 am

There are enough out there who'd literally shoot the messengers. Your condescension is appreciated, of course.

Serious question: when a whistleblower says something politically retrograde, what's appropriate as a response?

Snowden is in a lamentable position, norton, though he's clearly making the best of it. I don't envy it and think him very brave. But what is owed to him? Complete deference to his libertarian nonsense? A more polite form of criticism?
bks

Postby norton ash » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:17 am

^^^ Fair enough. Maybe I was looking for something 'more polite' than that 'sixth-grader' choice of words. And I suppose... shame on all of us when we choose our words like Snowden did... but then again, we're talking to that special bunch of special kids we call Americans.:thumbsup
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby The Consul » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:04 pm

This I found very interesting in regards to Snowden. Epstein provides perspective lacking in most other media realms.

" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:01 pm

sounds like something I read in the Wall Street Journal awhile back :wink:

he kinda didn't get that "how Snowden ended up in Russia thingy" correct

Was Snowden's Heist a Foreign Espionage Operation?
Those who know the files he stole think he was working for a foreign power, perhaps Russia, where he now lives.

By EDWARD JAY EPSTEIN
May 9, 2014 6:50 p.m. ET
Edward Snowden's massive misappropriations of classified documents from the inner sanctum of U.S. intelligence is mainly presented by the media as a whistleblowing story. In this narrative—designed by Mr. Snowden himself—he is portrayed as a disgruntled contractor for the National Security Agency, acting alone, who heroically exposed the evils of government surveillance beginning in 2013.

The other way of looking at it—based on the number and nature of documents Mr. Snowden took, and the dates when they were taken—is that only a handful of the secrets had anything to do with domestic surveillance by the government and most were of primary value to an espionage operation.

So far, only the whistleblower version has had immense international resonance. The Washington Post and Britain's Guardian, the newspapers that initially published the purloined documents, won the 2014 Pulitzer Prize. The journalists who assisted Mr. Snowden in this enterprise were awarded the 2014 Polk Award for national-security reporting. Former Congressman Ron Paul organized a clemency petition in February for Mr. Snowden, stating: "Thanks to one man's courageous actions, Americans know about the truly egregious ways their government is spying on them."

Edward Snowden during an interview in Hong Kong in June. Reuters/Glenn Greenwald/Laura Poitras/Courtesy of The Guardian
Yet others—until now not often quoted in news accounts—see Mr. Snowden as neither a hero nor a whistleblower. Gen. Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, testified to the House Armed Services Committee on March 13, 2014, that "The vast majority of the documents that Snowden . . . exfiltrated from our highest levels of security had nothing to do with exposing government oversight of domestic activities." Time magazine on April 3 quoted Rep. Mike Rogers (R., Mich.), the head of the House Intelligence Committee, as saying Mr. Snowden was "definitely under the influence of Russian officials."

On June 10, 2013, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D., Calif.), the head of the Senate Intelligence Committee, described Mr. Snowden's theft of documents as "an act of treason." A former member of President Obama's cabinet went even further, suggesting to me off the record in March this year that there are only three possible explanations for the Snowden heist: 1) It was a Russian espionage operation; 2) It was a Chinese espionage operation, or 3) It was a joint Sino-Russian operation.

Mr. Snowden's critics regard the whistleblowing narrative as at best incomplete, at worst fodder for the naïve. They do not believe that it explains the unprecedented size and complexity of the penetration of NSA files and records. For one thing, many of his critics have intelligence clearance. They have been privy to the results of an NSA investigation that established the chronology of the copying of 1.7 million documents that were stolen from the Signals Intelligence Center in Hawaii. The documents were taken from at least 24 supersecret compartments that stored them on computers, each of which required a password that a perpetrator had to steal or borrow, or forge an encryption key to bypass.

Once Mr. Snowden breached security at the Hawaii facility, in mid-April of 2013, he planted robotic programs called "spiders" to "scrape" specifically targeted documents. According to Gen. Dempsey, "The vast majority of those [stolen documents] were related to our military capabilities, operations, tactics, techniques and procedures."

Rick Ledgett, the NSA executive who headed the NSA's damage-assessment task force, said on the Dec. 13, 2013, edition of "60 Minutes" that this data contains "the keys to the kingdom." Keys, he told the CBS CBS -0.60% show, that could provide "adversaries with a road map of what we know, what we don't know." Many of the documents concerned secret operations against the cyber capabilities of adversaries. But only a minute fraction of them have anything to do with civil liberties or whistleblowing, former NSA Director Keith Alexander says in the Australian Financial Review published May 8.

The chronology of Mr. Snowden's thefts suggests that a top priority was lists of the computers of U.S. adversaries abroad that the NSA had succeeded in penetrating. Mr. Snowden confirmed this priority in October 2013, when he told James Risen of the New York Times NYT +1.10% that his "last job" at the NSA—the job he took on March 15, 2013, with outside contractor Booz Allen Hamilton—gave him, as Mr. Snowden said, "access to every target, every active operation" mounted by the NSA against the Chinese. Soon after Mr. Snowden fled to Hong Kong in May 2013, he told Lana Lam of the South China Morning Post that his new job gave him access to the lists of machines in China, Hong Kong and elsewhere that "the NSA hacked. That is why I accepted that position about three months ago."

Mr. Snowden took the Booz Allen Hamilton job in March of 2013, but it was only at the tail end of his operation—in May—that he copied the document (possibly the only one) that specifically authorized the NSA's controversial domestic surveillance program. This was a Foreign Surveillance Intelligence Act court order, instructing Verizon to provide metadata on U.S. phone calls for 90 days, that Mr. Snowden gave to the Guardian newspaper in London on June 3, 2013. (He also leaked a secret presentation in slides about the NSA's Prism Internet surveillance. This program, operated with the FBI, targeted only foreigners, though it could be extended, with the approval of the attorney general, to suspects in the U.S. in contact with foreign targets.)

Contrary to Mr. Snowden's account, the document he stole about the NSA's domestic surveillance couldn't have been part of any whistleblowing plan when he transferred to Booz Allen Hamilton in March of 2013. Why? Among other reasons, because the order he took was only issued by the FISA court on April 26, 2013.

The suspicions that whistleblowing was a cover for espionage by Mr. Snowden are further heightened by his winding up under the protection of the Russian security service, the FSB, in Moscow. Whether or not Mr. Snowden took the 1.7 million stolen documents to Moscow or stored them in cyberspace, the theft effectively compromises all the sources and methods in them.

What accounts for the extraordinary divide between the Snowden and anti-Snowden camps is a disparity in the available information. The pro-Snowden camp's view is largely informed by Mr. Snowden himself. In the anti-Snowden camp are administration officials and the members of the House and Senate intelligence oversight committees who have been at least partially briefed on the continuing investigations of the Snowden affair.

In short, the media and Mr. Snowden's admirers have only his word as to what went on. His detractors are the people who know enough about what happened to conclude that far from being a whistleblower, Mr. Snowden was a participant in an espionage operation and most likely steered from the beginning toward his massive theft, whether he knew this at first or not.

Little, if any, of this classified data has reached the public or the news media. The evidence backing up the government's criminal complaint against Mr. Snowden—involving both espionage and the theft of government property—has been sealed since June 22, 2013. Even Mr. Snowden's legal standing is unclear. President Obama said on Dec. 20, 2013, that he was "under indictment"—and then a spokesperson corrected the president, saying that the grand jury had not in fact indicted him.

Until there is an indictment by a federal grand jury, and the state's evidence against Mr. Snowden is unsealed, his portrait as a crusader will persist.

Mr. Epstein's most recent book is "The Annals of Unsolved Crime" (Melville House, 2013).
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby RocketMan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:24 pm

Why does the name Edward Jay Epstein ring the alarm for me... oh right

http://www.ctka.net/pr1199-epstein.html

In the mid-sixties, while working on Inquest, Epstein got acquainted with the fledgling research community on the Kennedy case. At that time, it was quite small, consisting of perhaps 20-25 serious people who formed an internal network of meetings, phone calls, and correspondence. One of the prominent members of this network was Sylvia Meagher who lived in New York. Another was Vince Salandria who lived in Philadelphia. Epstein came into contact with both, especially Meagher. In fact, the late great critic actually helped index Inquest.

But it didn’t take long for both critics and the community itself, to become disenchanted with Epstein. It happened shortly after the publication of Inquest. For that project, Epstein had somehow obtained access to some important people involved with the Commission. As he described it in a radio interview with Larry King (2/28/79):

So I started by writing letters to the different people on the Warren Commission which included Gerald Ford…Allen Dulles, the former director of the CIA; Chief Justice Warren; senators, congressmen—and everyone, to my amazement, agreed to see me.

This is curious in itself. But on that same show Epstein expressed his intent in writing the book:

My book Inquest was really on a single problem—that the Warren Commission failed to find the truth, and there were two main reasons for that. One: they were acting under pressure…. And secondly, they had to rely on other agencies….And these agencies had themselves things to hide. So it was not a question of the Warren Commission being dishonest: it was a question that the way the investigation was organized, it would have been impossible for it to find an exhaustive truth.

Later, Epstein was asked by King:

King: First, should we have appointed a commission like the Warren Commission?

Epstein: Well,—yes—I believe that the men who served on the Warren Commission served in good faith.

Epstein has been consistent with this attitude ever since. That the Warren Commission did an unsatisfactory job, not because of any wrongdoing of its own, but because of the time constraints placed on them and because of secrets about Oswald that were hidden from them. Yet, Epstein insists they did get it right:

King: Did Oswald kill John Kennedy

Epstein: Yes, I believe he did.

King: Acting alone…in Dealey Plaza that day?

Epstein: I think he was the only rifleman….
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:46 pm

Laura Poitras to premiere Edward Snowden film Citizenfour in October
Film-maker who met Snowden and reported on NSA leaks with the Guardian will debut documentary on 10 October in New York

Guardian staff
theguardian.com, Tuesday 16 September 2014 15.49 EDT

Laura Poitras’ highly anticipated documentary about Edward Snowden and the NSA will have its world premiere at the New York Film Festival in October, organisers announced on Tuesday.

Citizenfour, which focuses on Snowden’s leaks to Poitras and the Guardian about the NSA and global surveillance, will premiere on Friday 10 October.

“Seeing Citizenfour for the first time is an experience I’ll never forget,” New York Film Festival director Kent Jones said in a statement. “The film operates on multiple levels at the same time: a character study [of Edward Snowden] … a real-life suspense story and a chilling exposé.”

Steven Soderbergh produced the film, which is named after a code name that Snowden used to refer to himself in emails to Poitras, before she, Glenn Greenwald and Guardian journalist Ewen MacAskill flew to Hong Kong to meet him in June 2013.

Citizenfour is the third instalment in Poitras’ award-winning trilogy of works examining life in post-9/11 America. Her first film My Country, My Country was nominated for an Academy Award, while 2010’s The Oath won the “excellence in cinematography award” at Sundance.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion