20% chance we're living in a simulation - Oxford prof

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: 20% chance we're living in a simulation - Oxford prof

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:46 pm

I've been waiting for your confirmation, tron.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Sounder » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:02 pm

Edit: Ooohh! Now I do. :)
The person doing the measurement already exists, so all they do is expand existence a bit by measuring something.

How can the person exist if reality does not yet exist because it has not been measured?

Thanks dada, this reminds one of the ipso facto distinction at the consul of Nicaea, where the argument was about whether Jesus was God or like God.

Literal-ism is the beginning of all fundamentalism's.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby slimmouse » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:14 pm

The entire idea that this is a simulation is without doubt correct.

Our ancestors knew this.

so the point of our simulation is?

the official version is that there is no point.

Which sounds almost as stupid to me as the fact that we have Trump vs Clinton for the most powerful stupid on earth
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby DrEvil » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:44 pm

Sounder » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:02 am wrote:
Edit: Ooohh! Now I do. :)
The person doing the measurement already exists, so all they do is expand existence a bit by measuring something.

How can the person exist if reality does not yet exist because it has not been measured?

Thanks dada, this reminds one of the ipso facto distinction at the consul of Nicaea, where the argument was about whether Jesus was God or like God.

Literal-ism is the beginning of all fundamentalism's.

Because the person has already been observed (measured) by himself and others and is presumably under constant measurement by him/herself.
I exist, therefore I am. :)
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby dada » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:02 pm

slimmouse » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:14 pm wrote:The entire idea that this is a simulation is without doubt correct.

Our ancestors knew this.

so the point of our simulation is?

the official version is that there is no point.

I question our ancestors' wisdom. I question any appeals to authority. I take ideas, chew them up in my mind, and transform them into something else.

I can't speak for others simulations, or the entire group's simulation. The point of my simulation is 'make something beautiful, change the game.' Making something beautiful is this transforming thing I do.

For example, when I read 'we are division, divided from the source,' I chew it up. The something else it transforms into is 'I don't feel divided from the source. But I see others do. What can I do to help others feel connected to the source? I don't know. I'll try writing something. type type...'

Changing the game is the game I play. Changing the game is playing the game, and playing the game is changing it.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby slimmouse » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:26 pm

So , essentially youre a gnosiiic too?

The less said the bettter?
slimmouse

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby dada » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:52 pm

slimmouse » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:26 pm wrote:So , essentially youre a gnosiiic too?

The less said the bettter?

Not this, not that. Maybe that makes me appear to be a not-ist. But I'm not that, either.

And I'm not picking on our ancestors. I chew up my own raw thoughts and transform them, too. It's fun.

I do try to say more with less, though. And try to say things using the wrong words.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby DrEvil » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:07 pm

dada wrote:
Changing the game is the game I play. Changing the game is playing the game, and playing the game is changing it.

I'd rather just have the cheat codes.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby dada » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:04 am

DrEvil » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:07 pm wrote:I'd rather just have the cheat codes.

I just make them up.
dada

Postby tron » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:09 am

what if the division from source means that a little source was put into us, then as we build on what we are we become attractors, bringing in more of the stuff?

luther? confirmation?
tron

Postby dada » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:03 am

I think the question becomes 'to what end?'

Here's the thought experiment:

Say the mind could get out of its own way, realize its essential unity with Universal Mind, or the source, or the source code of the simulation, whatever.

Out here in time, this sets a process in motion, a mutation of consciousness. Is a mutation of consciousness something I want? Even if it is, that sounds scary. Is it something I can allow to happen, or will I resist it out of totally understandable, natural fear.

So I go for it. Now even if I get scared, I can't stop it, its already happening, the process is in motion. Now I need patience, and trust. Consciousness is reconfiguring itself.

The status bar fills up, the little bell chimes. You've just reconfigured your consciousness, how does it feel? Hey, not bad. Better than before, at least.

Okay, so know it's time to get down to business. What do I do about ending all this human suffering I see all around me, all over the planet? That's a good question. hm. You know what would help, another nine or ten reconfigured consciousnesses.

Well, nothing I can do about that. Guess I'm on my own. I'll just have to try my best in every situation, to make people smile, feel a little better, relieve some of that suffering. Maybe tell some stories, do some creative stuff with the goal of relieving suffering in mind. People seem to like that stuff, it seems to take the edge off of the suffering sometimes.

Thought experiment over.

What other thought experiments on 'to what end' could I try. I guess climbing a giant mountain to the mystical all-knowing illuminated enlightenment would be a more fun end. Or building the moneyless world revolution. heh, sorry. That's a real funny one, right? Maybe the end is Matrix control, or a super compassion avatar with magical powers who can make it rain war-stopping raindrops, conjure food out of thin air, cure cancer and depression by breathing on a person like they're blowing out birthday candles.

All be nice, I agree. I think my thought experiment is more realistic, though.
dada

Postby KUAN » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:26 am

Your point is?
KUAN

Postby Sounder » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:56 am

Kuan wrote...
Your point is?

If I may, -evolving consciousness can change the games we play.

I love your method and approach dada, thanks
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby dada » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:51 am

Thank you, Sounder. I really do appreciate it.

It always feels frightening for me to 'just be myself, and put it out there.' It seems like that's never going to go away. Sometimes I even think, 'if it doesn't feel scary, I'm not doing it right.' It's nice to know I'm understood.

Kuan, Sounder is right. My point is that evolving consciousness can change the games we play.

I guess that like everyone else, I'm just here doing my thing. I hope that's okay.
dada

Postby KUAN » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:47 pm

Hey dada, the red wine made me a bit manic yesterday. sorry
KUAN

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion