Guns (Yawn)

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Guns (Yawn)

Postby justdrew » Fri May 03, 2013 3:35 pm

there's been several children killed by children recently. All on "Accident" because they had access to guns. These parents, well, let's be honest, these Dads... clearly love their guns more than their children.

Anyway, while I acknowledge that not all guncrime will cease, I wholeheartedly support any reasonable gun control laws.
By 1964 there were 1.5 million mobile phone users in the US
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Fri May 03, 2013 8:58 pm

Laodicean wrote:

I was just reading this thread and thinking of that little bit of gold.

The juice dudes are awesome.

I always think of this song whenever these debates start up.

Guns are like any other magical talisman, the more of your power you invest into them the less you have in yourself.
Joe Hillshoist

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Simulist » Fri May 03, 2013 9:19 pm

justdrew wrote:Anyway, while I acknowledge that not all guncrime will cease, I wholeheartedly support any reasonable gun control laws.

Me too.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby justdrew » Fri May 03, 2013 10:08 pm

justdrew

Postby Sounder » Sat May 04, 2013 7:36 am

Well I guess this fellow is not deceitful enough to succeed in today’s world anyway, so fuck-em if he looses scholarships or carries a felony record. Jeeze dude, get in the game.
http://refreshingnews99.blogspot.in/201 ... elony.html
May 03, 2013
Student Punished, Charged With a Felony After He ‘Tried to Do the Right Thing’ When He Forgot His Shotgun Was in His Truck

David "Cole" Withrow was a senior ready to graduate with honors from Princeton High School in Johnston, N.C. He is an Eagle Scout, did his senior class project on gun safety and was even looking forward to college in the fall.

This is why when he realized he forgot his shotgun in the back of his truck after going skeet shooting over the weekend, he debated between driving back home and being counted as tardy and calling his mom from school to collect the gun.

Deciding to call his mother from the school's front office to come get the gun, the 18-year-old's conversation was overheard.

"He was overheard in a private conversation with his mother explaining what happened," Kimberly Boykin, a friend of the Withrow family told Starnes. "He could have told a story, but he told the truth."

"I think it's an injustice for this young man," she said. "He's a good guy. He's loved by his classmates and his teachers. You don't become an Eagle Scout by being a bad seed."
As punishment, Withrow was reported to have been expelled for a year and would not be able to graduate with his class, which could have potentially off-set his plans for college. An attorney for the school has since said Withrow was not expelled and special provisions have been made for him to finish school in order to receive his diploma .

He was also charged with a felony.
Sounder

Postby Simulist » Sat May 04, 2013 10:00 am

There have been further developments in this story. And although some of these developments have been in the student's favor (they should be, of course — an assistant principle made the exact same mistake in 2011, but faced no criminal charges), this case is one more example of "zero tolerance" laws and policies tying the hands (and brains) of school officials and law enforcement.

(Also, "the administrators" who overheard the phone call should have looked into the matter before making a big thing of it, and then setting these events into play — but school "administrators" often don't have enough brains to pour pee out of a boot.)
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby DrEvil » Sat May 04, 2013 6:28 pm

A gun activist is planning a massive march on D.C., with participants' rifles illegally slung over their shoulders

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/03/a_march ... ed_rifles/

This will end well. What happens when someone throws a fire-cracker? Or a car backfires?

Then again - maybe a running gun battle outside congress is just what the politicians need to open their eyes.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby justdrew » Sat May 04, 2013 6:43 pm

well, I hope they're all disarmed beaten thrown into pens and held for days (sound familiar?)

Maybe it would be good if some shit did kick off. I'm sick and tired of these moronic retarded sons-of-bitches threats. Let's go.

A home-defense seminar at this weekend’s National Rifle Association convention urged parents to overcome their initial misgivings and store firearms in their childrens’ bedrooms, Think Progress reported on Saturday.

“If you’re worried that your kid is going to try to break into the safe that is in their bedroom with a gun in it, you have bigger problems than home defense,” said speaker Rob Pincus, a former police officer who know heads up his own firearms instruction company, I.C.E. Training. “If you think that the kid who’s going to try to break into the safe because it’s in their room isn’t sneaking into your room to try to break into stuff, you’re naive and you have bigger problems than this.”

If a parent is “in the middle of the house” when their home alarm goes off overnight, Pincus said, and they are going to head for their childrens’ room to defend against an intruder, it made sense to stash a gun in their closet.

“There’s absolutely nothing wrong with staging the gun where you’re most likely to barricade [yourself],” Pincus said. “If you have to have to run across the house to check on the kids, there’s no reason to take them out of the bathroom and move them to some other room when the bad guy might be wandering around your house.”

As Think Progress reported, a study of 30,000 child deaths involving accidental shootings by the Center for Disease Control showed children between the ages of 5 and 14 years of age were 13 times more likely to be killed in the four U.S. states with the highest gun ownership numbers than the four with the lowest totals.

evil shit heads, fuck the NRA, fuck any MEMBER OF IT.

I guarantee more kids die every year from home gun 'accidents' than die from home invasions.
justdrew

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Sat May 04, 2013 7:45 pm

DrEvil wrote:A gun activist is planning a massive march on D.C., with participants' rifles illegally slung over their shoulders

This will end well. What happens when someone throws a fire-cracker? Or a car backfires?

Then again - maybe a running gun battle outside congress is just what the politicians need to open their eyes.

I think chucking a firecracker into that crowd is a really awesome idea in theory.

In reality it could lead to a bloodbath.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby 8bitagent » Sat May 04, 2013 8:13 pm

DrEvil wrote:A gun activist is planning a massive march on D.C., with participants' rifles illegally slung over their shoulders

I keep hearing DC has this high crime rate...I mean yeah I know a lot of the mass killings around the world are approved on by DC boys, but I didnt know DC itself had a high gun crime rate. Maybe those gun crime criminals can also show up when the Tea Party knuckleheads are there. DONT TREAD ON ME! Hurp durp.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby 8bitagent » Sat May 04, 2013 8:46 pm

GO MURIKA.

"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun May 05, 2013 10:56 am

8bitagent wrote:

I keep hearing DC has this high crime rate...I mean yeah I know a lot of the mass killings around the world are approved on by DC boys, but I didnt know DC itself had a high gun crime rate. Maybe those gun crime criminals can also show up when the Tea Party knuckleheads are there. DONT TREAD ON ME! Hurp durp.

The reason gun crime is rampant in DC is the ease of access to guns just across the river in Virginia, a "shall issue' state with lax gun laws. Many of the illegal guns confiscated in New York State originate from Virginia. "Straw" purchasers who legally buy the weapon and then illegally transfer it to another whom is prohibited from gun ownership. There are no background checks required for private firearms transactions anywhere.
Iamwhomiam

Postby justdrew » Mon May 06, 2013 6:05 pm

Florida 13-year-old shoots 6-year-old sister playing hide-and-seek
By David Edwards | Monday, May 6, 2013 9:47 EDT

Homicide detectives in Broward County, Florida are talking with a 13-year-old boy who they believe shot his 6-year-old sister.

According to NBC Miami, the shooting occurred just before 7 p.m. in Oakland Park on Saturday night.

“They were playing hide and go seek. I don’t know how it went down but he shot his sister,” neighbor Peter Milano explained.

“They just carried her out in her hands and you can tell above her chest area she had a hole where she was shot,” neighbor Justin Latoutrrette told WSVN.

Broward Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Dani Moschella said that the two children were at home alone when the incident happened.

“We just don’t know at this point if this was an accident or if it was intentional,” Moschella said.

“It is very difficult when dealing with children, specifically children who’ve been through a very traumatic situation,” she pointed out. “This family will never be the same after tonight, no matter how it ends up.”

Another neighbor told The Miami Herald that the “little boy just sat there rocking back and forth… It’s just so devastating. They had just moved in two weeks ago.”

Under Florida law, the parents could be charged with a third-degree felony if police determine that the gun was “within the reach or easy access of a minor” and was used to cause injury or death.

The 6-year-old girl was taken to Broward Health Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale. Moschella reported that she was in critical but stable condition as of Sunday night.
justdrew

Postby Simulist » Mon May 06, 2013 6:45 pm

Sort of takes the "yawn" out of the "Guns (Yawn)" thread title, doesn't it?

Heartbreaking.
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Burnt Hill » Mon May 06, 2013 7:06 pm

Simulist wrote:Sort of takes the "yawn" out of the "Guns (Yawn)" thread title, doesn't it?

Heartbreaking.

I'll second that emotion.
:(
Burnt Hill

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion