Comey's testimony today on warrantless wiretapping drama

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu May 17, 2007 12:39 pm

http://www.tpmmuckraker.com/archives/00 ... p#comments

The President's Secret Program: A Timeline
By Paul Kiel - May 17, 2007, 10:50 AM
Ever since James Comey's testimony Tuesday, there's been a renewed burst of speculation about just what secret domestic surveilance program(s) the administration has been running.

Marty Lederman over at Balkinization offers a great rundown of the best guesses about what the administration has been up to.

But Comey's testimony and new details in The New York Times this morning mean that it's now possible to lay out a timeline of why all of this came to a head in March of 2004 when the program had been going on for more than two years at that point.

A TPM Reader writes in to lay it all out:

We’re starting to see a timeline emerge on the confrontation between the White House and Justice on domestic spying.
The first date to mark on your calendar, I think, is October 3, 2003. That’s when the Senate confirms Jack L. Goldsmith as the Assistant Attorney General for the Office of Legal Counsel. In June, with Goldsmith’s nomination before the senate, John Yoo had left his job as the deputy at OLC to return to his teaching gig at Boalt.

Fast forward to December 11, 2003, when Comey is confirmed as Deputy Attorney General. He immediately assumes a more aggessive posture than his predecessor, Larry Thompson. The Times reports this morning that “with Mr. Comey’s backing, Mr. Goldsmith questioned what he considered shaky legal reasoning in several crucial opinions, including some drafted by Deputy Assistant Attorney General John Yoo.”

But that was just the beginning. Thompson had not been authorized access to the details of the NSA program. But, reports the NYTimes, “Comey was eventually authorized to take part in the program and to review intelligence
material that grew out of it” (1/1/06). He set Goldsmith to the task of sorting through the program’s dubious legality. Goldsmith’s “review of legal memoranda on the N.S.A. program and interrogation practices became a source of friction between Mr. Comey and the White House,” the Times reports today. And we know from Comey’s testimony that by “the White House,” we mean, principally, Dick Cheney and David Addington.

Continued:

Up until this moment, Ashcroft had been signing off on the program every 45 days. That means his signature was last required in late January, shortly after Comey assumed his post, and perhaps even before he’d been authorized access to the program. Suddenly, the March 11 date comes into clearer focus. For the first time, trained and qualified attorneys within the Justice Department had conducted a careful review of the program. Comey took the evidence he had gathered to Ashcroft, as he testified on Tuesday: “A week before that March 11th deadline, I had a private meeting with the attorney general for an hour, just the two of us, and I laid out for him what we had learned and what our analysis was in this particular matter.” By the end of that meeting, Ashcroft and Comey had “agreed on a course of action,” to wit, that they “would not certify the program as to its legality.”
Thereupon follows the late-night drama that’s already been exhaustively chronicled. I’d simply note that one of the people in that hospital room was Goldsmith. On March 11, the President made the determination that the program was appropriate and lawful, and reauthorized it without Justice signing off.

On the morning of March 12, the president, faced with open revolt, backed down. The Times reported on what happened next last year: “The White House suspended parts of the program for several months and moved ahead with more stringent requirements on the security agency on how the program was used, in part to guard against abuses. The concerns within the Justice Department appear to have led, at least in part, to the decision to suspend and revamp the program, officials said. The Justice Department then oversaw a secret audit of the surveillance program” (01/01/06). Comey’s testimony refines that a little. He claims that it was a matter of weeks before the program was brought into compliance.

There’s a sad coda to this story. On June 17, 2004, Goldsmith announced his resignation after scarcely a year on the job.

What to make of this long narrative?

Simply this. The warantless wiretap surveillance program stank. For two and a half years, Ashcroft signed off on the program every forty-five days without any real knowledge of what it entailed. In his defense, the advisors who were supposed to review such things on his behalf were denied access; to his everlasting shame, he did not press hard enough to have that corrected.

When Comey came on board, he insisted on being granted access, and had Goldsmith review the program. What they found was so repugnant to any notion of constitutional liberties that even Ashcroft, once briefed, was willing to resign rather than sign off again.

So what were they fighting over? Who knows. But there’s certainly evidence to suggest that the underlying issue was was whether constitutional or statutory protections of civil liberties ought to be binding on the president in a time of war. The entire fight, in other words, was driven by the expansive notion of executive power embraced by Cheney and Addington. And here's the kicker - it certainly sounds as if the program was fairly easily adjusted to comply with the law. It wasn't illegal because it had to be; it was illegal because the White House believed itself above the law.

PS: There’s hope we’ll find out what was really going on. I’d highlight this portion of Specter’s remarks from the hearing: “Mr. Comey, it's my hope that we will have a closed session with you to pursue the substance of this matter further. Because your standing up to them is very important, but it's also very important what you found on the legal issue on this unnamed subject, which I infer was the terrorist surveillance program. And you're not going to comment about it. I think you could. I think you could even tell us what the legalisms were. Doesn't involve a matter of your advice or what the president told you, et cetera. But I'm going to discuss it with Senator Leahy later and see about pursuing that question to try to find out about it.”

And then Leahy, in response: “We will have a closed-door hearing on this. Senator Specter and I are about to have a briefing on aspects of this.” Can’t wait to hear what leaks out of that.

http://www.warandpiece.com/blogdirs/006129.html

May 16, 2007
A reader raises a good point. Why were FBI director Mueller and the FBI so involved in Comey's decision-thinking on the NSA warrantless domestic spying program? Was this about a separate component of the program, that involved the FBI spying without warrants on Americans? Not just the NSA? Now that the Senate Judiciary committee anticipates a confirmation process for the DAG nominee, will its members ask to review some sort of list of those specifically targeted and who signed off on it and get a determination of why it was not possible to get a warrant for these people? And to get all the documents involved? Comey was more than adamant in his testimony yesterday that these conservative Republican appointee Justice department officials -- he, Ashcroft, Goldsmith, Philbin -- could find no legal basis for the program until modifications were made. As Marty Lederman says, imagine just how bad it must have been. And Marty worked in the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel until just over a year before the events described, so he's in a position to imagine that scenario pretty vividly.

Update: Did Gonzales lie under oath, when he said Comey did not object to the NSA domestic spying program whose existence the president confirmed? Or was he in fact suggesting that Comey's problem was with a second covert warrantless domestic spying program, one perhaps run by the FBI, such as I outline above?

Update II: After a conversation with a knowledgeable lawyer, I think I have at least a plausible theory of what roughly might have been going on. The NSA program targeted calls from terrorism suspects (however loosely defined) say from abroad to the States, and vice versa, without obtaining warrants, including for the US persons targeted. According to this speculative theory, the presumed second, FBI part of the program - the part that Comey and Goldsmith et al found objectionable, conceivably - then, without warrants, tracked all of the other communications that recipient made and received. How might the program have been brought into compliance when Comey et al objected? If the gov't decided to use the first part - the calls received from a terrorism suspect - as probable cause to obtain a warrant* for all of the recipient's domestic and other communications. The problem? Getting a warrant could presumably cause the FISA judge to question why and how the target was identified in the first place. Maybe they found a way to get around the problem of illegal search and seizure. Just a theory. (*It could not have been to get a warrant, because the program didn't get FISA warrants at all until recently. The NYT article below suggests with Comey's modifications, it just came in for some sort of internal DOJ audit).

As Balkinization's Lederman tells me, the relevant Congressional committees need to get all the documents from the DOJ. "They need to see the documents - about torture, about the NSA spying program, about military commissions, treaties, everything John Yoo wrote. And they have not appeared to be willing to get that. They just back down. Just yesterday, Comey says he can't talk about this, and can't talk about that. This is ridiculous. You don't give away NSA operational capabilities. You go into closed session for that. This is: we want to know what the legal theories were, what the programs were. ... Until the committees see the documents, they're totally speculating. If the Senate really wants to find out what's going on, they must get all the documents before them, and stop this nonsense."

More: NYT: "Mr. Bush allowed new procedures in the N.S.A. program, which officials have said included Justice Department audits, and the eavesdropping continued without the court warrants some legal authorities believe the law requires."

And from the Post.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu May 17, 2007 12:44 pm

http://www.examiner.com/a-733175~GOP_Se ... _Quit.html

GOP Senator Predicts Gonzales Will Quit

(AP Photo/Ron Edmonds)
Attorney General Alberto Gonzales speaks at a news event, in this Tuesday, May 15, 2007 file photo, at the National Press Club in Washington. Gonzales is under new political heat after two more Republicans came out against him and Democrats broadened their probe of prosecutor firings to questions of whether he politicized the Justice Department at the White House's behest. WASHINGTON (Map, News) - The top Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee predicted Thursday that the probe of firings of federal prosecutors would lead to the resignation of Attorney General Alberto Gonzales.

The Justice Department, according to veteran Sen. Arlen Specter, can't properly protect the nation from terrorism or oversee President Bush's no-warrant eavesdropping program with Gonzales at the helm.

"I have a sense that when we finish our investigation, we may have the conclusion of the tenure of the attorney general," Specter, R-Pa., said during a committee hearing. "I think when our investigation is concluded, it'll be clear even to the attorney general and the president that we're looking at a dysfunctional department which is vital to the national welfare."

His comment echoed new criticism of the attorney general this week. Former deputy attorney general James Comey testified that Gonzales tried to get his predecessor as attorney general, John Ashcroft, to approve Bush's eavesdropping program as Ashcroft lay in intensive care.

"When you have to spend more time up here on Capitol Hill instead of running the Justice Department, maybe you ought to think about it," Roberts told The Associated Press.

Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, who has not called for Gonzales' resignation, agreed.

"I have absolutely no confidence in the attorney general or his leadership," said Leahy, D-Vt.

Bush has stood by his longtime friend and adviser, the key to Gonzales' hold on his job.

But just when some predicted that Gonzales had survived the furors over the firings, Comey's testimony helped broaden the Democrat-led probe into whether the attorney general politicized the Justice department at the White House's behest - and inspired new calls for his resignation.

Gonzales has said only eight U.S. attorneys were targeted for dismissal. But the Justice Department, over nearly two years, listed as many as 26 prosecutors after concerns were raised about their performances, a senior government official familiar with the process said Thursday.

The Justice Department said it fully supports all of its current U.S. attorneys. The list of 26 names was first reported Thursday by The Washington Post.

Many of the names on various and changing lists of prosecutors under scrutiny "clearly did not represent the final actions or views of the department's leadership or the attorney general," said Justice spokesman Dean Boyd. He said the lists "reflect Kyle Sampson's thoughts for discussion during the consultation process."

Sampson, Gonzales' former chief of staff, oversaw the review that drove the firings. He resigned in March as a result of the department's botched handling of the dismissals.

The developments came as Democrats sought more testimony from current and former Justice Department officials. House Democrats announced that Gonzales' former White House liaison, Monica Goodling, would testify next week under a grant of immunity.

Across the Capitol, the Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday was considering a subpoena for Bradley Schlozman, a former senior civil rights attorney and U.S. attorney who replaced Todd Graves in Missouri. Graves also was ordered to resign.

At issue is whether the department, at the White House's urging, tried to cause problems for Democrats by facilitating voter fraud cases and others involving corruption.

Republicans, unhappy with Gonzales for months, have largely refrained from outright calls for his sacking. But they issued more criticism Wednesday, driven by Comey's testimony this week.

According to Comey, Gonzales in 2004 pressured Attorney General John Ashcroft to certify the legality of Bush's no-warrant eavesdropping program. The conversation took place at Ashcroft's hospital bedside as the attorney general recuperated from pancreatitis.

Ashcroft rebuffed Gonzales, but the White House certified the program's legality anyway. Faced with the resignations of Ashcroft, Comey and FBI Director Robert Mueller, Bush ordered the program be changed to accommodate Justice's objections.

Democrats said his testimony appeared to contradict Gonzales' account in February 2006, when he told two congressional panels that there had "not been any serious disagreement about the program."

Dean Boyd, a Justice Department spokesman said Gonzales' testimony "was and remains accurate."

Joining Hagel in demanding Gonzales' resignation are GOP Sens. John Sununu of New Hampshire, Tom Coburn of Oklahoma and John McCain of Arizona, who is a presidential candidate. House Republican Conference Chair Adam Putman of Florida also has called for a new attorney general.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu May 17, 2007 3:44 pm

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archiv ... php#014199

VIDEO

The funny thing about this dodge is that the president is saying not only that the nature of the program is highly classified and must be kept secret, which may be true, but that his apparent order for Gonzales and Card to go squeeze the semi-concsious John Ashcroft is also highly classified and must be kept secret. Somehow I just don't get that one. The president's refusal to answer tells the tale. The president gave the order and even placed the call, as James Comey all but told us yesterday.

But it should not surprise us because this White House has mainly used 'classification' as a way to keep embarrassing information out of public view.
seemslikeadream

Postby NavnDansk » Sat May 19, 2007 10:38 am

Up until this moment, Ashcroft had been signing off on the program every 45 days. That means his signature was last required in late January, shortly after Comey assumed his post, and perhaps even before he’d been authorized access to the program. Suddenly, the March 11 date comes into clearer focus. For the first time, trained and qualified attorneys within the Justice Department had conducted a careful review of the program. Comey took the evidence he had gathered to Ashcroft, as he testified on Tuesday: “A week before that March 11th deadline, I had a private meeting with the attorney general for an hour, just the two of us, and I laid out for him what we had learned and what our analysis was in this particular matter.” By the end of that meeting, Ashcroft and Comey had “agreed on a course of action,” to wit, that they “would not certify the program as to its legality.”

Watch the video. Ashcroft became ill WITHIN HOURS of the meeting with Comey where Ashcroft decided not to sign off on the program once he was apprised of what was going on. It sounds like the DOJ was bugged and that they tried to murder Ashcroft within hours.
NavnDansk

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby chiggerbit » Sat May 19, 2007 11:06 am

Yes, that possibility flitted through my mind, too. :shock:
chiggerbit

Postby chiggerbit » Sat May 19, 2007 11:17 am

According to Comey, he was on his way home when he got a call from Ashcroft's wife that Alberto Gonzales and Andrew Card were on their way to the hospital

I find this little nugget interesting. It's as if Ashcroft's wife was quite aware of the shadiness of what was being attempted, that SOMEONE was trying to take advantage of the unfortunate situation. Very interesting that she had the guts to take steps to foil it. I'm impressed.
chiggerbit

Postby chiggerbit » Sat May 19, 2007 12:00 pm

It sounds like the DOJ was bugged

Wouldn't it be interesting if that's what this Comey thing was all about--that, perhaps with the help of Mueller, Comey found out that Bush was tapping his own people?
chiggerbit

Postby chiggerbit » Sat May 19, 2007 12:12 pm

He replied, What conduct? We were just there to wish him well.
And I said again, After what I just witnessed, I will not meet with you without a witness. And I intend that witness to be the solicitor general of the United States.
SCHUMER: That would be Mr. Olson.
COMEY: Yes, sir. Ted Olson.

Isn't Ted Olson the one whose wife died on one of the planes that crashed on 9/11? Very pro- war? Hmmm, he's not someone I would want covering my back.
chiggerbit

Postby chiggerbit » Sat May 19, 2007 12:24 pm

According to Comey, Card was concerned about reports that there were to be large numbers of resignations at Justice Department.

"Reports"? Or bugs?
chiggerbit

Postby chiggerbit » Mon May 21, 2007 6:16 pm

chiggerbit

Gonzales didn't know!!!!

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon May 21, 2007 6:29 pm

:lol:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18754304/site/newsweek

After the incident, there were recriminations over what Comey portrayed as an attempt by Bush's top lawyer and chief of staff to "take advantage" of a very ill man. Comey didn't tell the Senate panel that the bad feelings were stoked even more the next morning when White House officials explained the hospital visit by saying Gonzales and Card were unaware that Comey was acting A.G. (and therefore the only person authorized to sign off on the surveillance program), according to a former senior DOJ official who requested anonymity talking about internal matters. Top DOJ officials were furious, the source said. Just days earlier, Justice's chief spokesman had publicly said Comey would serve as "head of the Justice Department" while Ashcroft was ill. Justice officials had also faxed over a document to the White House informing officials of this. When a Gonzales aide claimed the counsel's office could find no record of it, DOJ officials dug out a receipt showing the fax had been received. "People were disgusted as much as livid," said the DOJ official. "It was just the dishonesty of it." A Gonzales aide at the time (who asked not to be ID'd talking about internal matters) said there was a "miscommunication" and "genuine confusion" over who was in charge. Democratic senators plan a no-confidence vote in Gonzales. They also want him to explain his testimony last year that "there has not been any serious disagreement" about the terrorist-surveillance program.
seemslikeadream

Postby pepsified thinker » Mon May 21, 2007 6:34 pm

This scenario--which is all it is, right? we don't have anything more than a sense that the pieces could sort of fit together, right?--IS, nonetheless, interesting.

It would explain why Ashcroft was turned around on the issue, or at least, turned around on the administration in a general way.

A further thought--if they went so far[IF IF IF] as to try to 'off' Ashcroft, there's got to be something BIG to the warrentless wiretapping. Not just a hand-in-the-cookie-jar scandal, but something that would end Bush/Cheney. And that would fit with trying to keep Gonzales on, in the no-matter-what way that is so far the case, and that Bush today showed was still the case.

Bush calls Gonzales controversy 'theater'
CRAWFORD, Texas, May 21 (UPI) -- U.S. President George Bush called the controversy surrounding Attorney General Alberto Gonzales pure "political theater." Bush took a few questions during a joint appearance with NATO Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer at his ranch in Crawford, Texas.

Bush said he still backs Gonzales.

"He has done nothing wrong," Bush said. "There's been enormous amount of attention on him. ... I, frankly, view what's taking place in Washington today as pure political theater. And it is this kind of political theater that has caused the American people to lose confidence in how Washington operates."

He urged Congress to quit wasting time and resources and "get the job done of passing legislation, as opposed to figuring out how to be actors on the political theater stage."

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2007/05/21/bush_calls_gonzales_controversy_theater/1897/

I also wonder at the Ted Olsen angle--now that you all have pointed it out. It does seem like he was named in a way that was pretty damn specific--like it was meant to send a message, somehow.
"we must cultivate our garden"
--Voltaire
pepsified thinker

Postby chiggerbit » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:45 am

Remember when Comey is testifying, and when he's asked if the call came from the White House, and Comey hesitates before he answers? It struck me this week, with all the talk about how Cheney has been running the White House, if the reason Comey was hesitating was because he was wondering quite how he should answer about "who" the "White House" was. That pause has been sticking in my mind all this time, my gut telling me it seemed significant, somehow.

On edit: I just watched the video again, and Comey does say he thought the phone call came from the President.
chiggerbit

Postby chiggerbit » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:40 pm

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/220019.php

Murray Waas has a new report out on one particular aspect of the DOJ Inspector General's investigation into former Attorney General and former White House Counsel Alberto Gonzales:

In reauthorizing the [warrantless] surveillance program over the objections of his own Justice Department, President Bush later claimed to have relied on notes made by Gonzales about a meeting that had taken place the day before (March 10), in which Gonzales and Vice President Cheney had met with eight congressional leaders--also known as the "Gang of Eight"--who receive briefings about covert intelligence programs. According to Gonzales's notes, the congressional leaders had said in the meeting that they wanted the surveillance program to continue despite the attorney general's refusal to certify that it was legal.
But four of the congressional leaders present at the meeting say that's not true; they never encouraged the White House to sidestep the objections of the attorney general and continue the program without his approval.

Investigators are skeptical of the notes because Gonzales did not write them until days after the meeting with the congressional leaders, and he wrote them after both Bush and Gonzales had together signed a reauthorization of the surveillance program.

Late Update: Waas also reports, in a second piece, that Gonzo has admitted to investigators that President Bush directed him to go to the then-Attorney General John Ashcroft's hospital bedside in that dramatic late night showdown over the warrantless wiretapping program. Gonzales has previously refused to answer congressional questions on that point in this testimonial trainwreck from July 2007:
chiggerbit

Postby pepsified thinker » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:32 pm

I saw this too--and I'm wondering if this will be the basis for impeachment.

If anything ever could, seems like this would do the trick: it's about procedural, limited matters, rather than subjective point-of-view matters (or matters than can be argued to be such, i.e. lying to get us into the war).

Also, I'm wondering if Gonzo is maybe putting out feelers to be brought in from the cold as an informer vs. Bush.

(or maybe I'm mis-remembering what I read--did Gonzo bring this out or did someone dig it out of existing docs, etc.?)

in any case--'bump'
"we must cultivate our garden"
--Voltaire
pepsified thinker

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion