Comey's testimony today on warrantless wiretapping drama

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby compared2what? » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:25 am

Even if there were the political will to impeach...you know, I'm not certain about this, but unless attorney-client privilege just doesn't obtain between the White House Counsel and the President, Gonzales could at least claim it when congress came calling for long enough to succeed in making it a moot point. And I also think, but am not certain, that Bush could legitimately claim executive privilege for himself and whomever else was in need of it. Because it actually is a national security issue.

I don't think it would be very difficult for them to slow-walk it into irrelevancy, in a nutshell. So on that basis (assuming it's correct) it might not be the ideal charge to bring if the goal really was impeachment, at this stage of the game.

It's a little bit of a high-wire act, though, for Gonzales, for sure. But his potential personal liability is pretty significant. If I were him (or Bush) I'd probably regard taking the high-wire route as the lesser risk, too.

I will now go see if I am anywhere near right on the questions of law. Whoo!
compared2what?

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re:

Postby MinM » Wed May 29, 2013 7:28 pm

Image @USAToday: #BREAKING: Source: Obama to pick James Comey, former Bush official, to lead FBI

chiggerbit » Wed May 16, 2007 3:11 pm wrote:Keep in mind that this Comey is the one who appointed Fitzgeral to do the Plame leak investigation, did it in such a way that Fitzgerald was able to conduct the investigation as he saw fit. I've always said there was something odd about Ashcroft's resignation, and now I'm guessing that this hospital incident is what brought it about.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8853002/site/newsweek/

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=32946
@emptywheel: While everyone's reliving Comey's hospital testimony, anyone want to find out what Mueller and Cheney talked abt in private 3/23/04 meeting?
Earth-704509
MinM

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Re:

Postby NeonLX » Thu May 30, 2013 4:49 pm

MinM » Wed May 29, 2013 6:28 pm wrote:
Image @USAToday: #BREAKING: Source: Obama to pick James Comey, former Bush official, to lead FBI

chiggerbit » Wed May 16, 2007 3:11 pm wrote:Keep in mind that this Comey is the one who appointed Fitzgeral to do the Plame leak investigation, did it in such a way that Fitzgerald was able to conduct the investigation as he saw fit. I've always said there was something odd about Ashcroft's resignation, and now I'm guessing that this hospital incident is what brought it about.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8853002/site/newsweek/

http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board2/ ... 17&t=32946
@emptywheel: While everyone's reliving Comey's hospital testimony, anyone want to find out what Mueller and Cheney talked abt in private 3/23/04 meeting?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
America is a fucked society because there is no room for essential human dignity. Its all about what you have, not who you are.--Joe Hillshoist
NeonLX

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Comey's testimony today on warrantless wiretapping drama

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon May 22, 2017 12:55 pm

Ten years ago to the date.....well almost

MAY 20, 2017 | WHOWHATWHY STAFF
COMEY IS NO STRANGER TO EXPLOSIVE TESTIMONY

Nearly a decade to the day since James Comey delivered one of the most riveting testimonies in recent history, the nation is once again eagerly awaiting to hear from the recently fired FBI director.

Comey could testify on Capitol Hill as early as the upcoming week. While his name has been on front pages and leading newscasts for two weeks, the former FBI director has stayed out of the limelight — so much so that Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) joked, “We’re gonna have to put him on a milk carton.”

Lawmakers are eager to hear from Comey, especially about the circumstances of his firing and the contents of a memo in which he detailed a private conversation with President Donald Trump. According to news stories quoting people close to the former FBI director who had seen the notes, the president had asked Comey to drop the investigation of former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn.

Reportedly, the former FBI director began thoroughly documenting his encounters with the president after a handful of troubling conversations which led him to suspect Trump of trying to influence ongoing investigations into Flynn. The White House has since released a statement denying all allegations detailed in these stories.

However, now that former FBI director Robert Mueller has been appointed as special counsel for the Russia investigation, Comey might be limited in what he can divulge in open testimony.

This isn’t the first time he has had to tiptoe around sensitive information while testifying, nor is Comey a stranger to conflict between The White House and the Department of Justice.

Ten years ago, on May 16, 2007, he found himself in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee and shared an extraordinary story that is worth revisiting because it involves both Comey and Mueller. It is an account of the night in which top White House officials attempted to get a gravely ill John Ashcroft, who was attorney general at the time, to reauthorize a domestic surveillance program that DOJ opposed.

In his testimony, Comey gave a surprisingly vivid, unwavering account of the showdown in Ashcroft’s hospital room.

After the hospital incident, the domestic surveillance program was reinstated without consent from the Department of Justice, and Comey threatened to resign. Although that’s one card he can’t play anymore, his testimony alone will play a vital role in shedding light on how Trump is handling the pressures and responsibilities of the White House.

The second video is an interview with Democratic Senator Chris Coons (DE) on Comey’s memo and what it might mean for Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmm1W-H8L-4
https://whowhatwhy.org/2017/05/20/comey ... testimony/
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Previous

Return to General Discussion