Abandoning rational discussion on climate change

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Abandoning rational discussion on climate change

Postby Belligerent Savant » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:34 pm

Net Zero Watch
@NetZeroWatch

Campaign to highlight the serious economic and societal implications of expensive and poorly considered climate and energy policies #CostOfNetZero

Non-Governmental & Nonprofit Organization

netzerowatch.com

Net Zero Watch relies on donations to keep our campaigns going. If you would like to help us, this is the page for you.

The buttons below will allow you to make payments via card, Paypal or Apple Pay.

Regular donations help give us financial stability and plan our campaigns for the long term, so please consider helping us in this way.

Readers in the USA may prefer to give to the American Friends of the GWPF, a 501(c)(3) organisation.

However, please note that we do not accept donations from energy companies, or from anyone with a major interest in an energy company.

The American Friends of the GWPF's mission is to educate the public, the media, and global policymakers on the science of global warming. the policies being advocated to address global warming, and most importantly, the costs and consequences of those policies. The American Friends of the GWPF seeks to foster an open-minded discussion of these issues and plans to achieve its mission chiefly by supporting charitable and non-profit organizations that add value to the global warming conversation through their activities, such as (i) analyzing global warming policies and their economic and other implications, (ii) advocating for more accurate, informative, and balanced media coverage on the topic of global warming, and (iii) encouraging politicians and policymakers to take up and debate global warming as an important issue.

https://www.gwpf-usa.org/

https://www.thegwpf.org/publications/hi ... ort-shows/
History of weather extremes reveals little has changed, new report shows

Friday 22nd March 2024

Share:
A new report published by the Global Warming Policy Foundation challenges the popular but mistaken belief that weather extremes – such as heatwaves, flooding, droughts, hurricanes, tornadoes and wildfires – are more common and more intense today because of climate change.

Drawing on newspaper archives and long-term observational data, the report written by Dr Ralph Alexander documents multiple examples of past extremes that matched or exceeded anything experienced in the present-day world.

Dr Ralph Alexander said:

“That so many people are unaware of past extremes shows that collective memories of extreme weather are short-lived.”

“The perception that extreme weather events are increasing in frequency and severity is primarily a consequence of new information technology – the Internet and smart phones – which have revolutionised communication and made us much more aware of such disasters in all corners of the world than we were 50 or 100 years ago.”
Belligerent Savant

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:49 pm

I've been essentially forecasting* along similar lines here for some time (primarily in the 'EcoFascism' thread and others).

*as a potential, perhaps even probable, scenario.

All remains TBD.

Said this before, but "crisis" of insanely expensive electricity is by design. Goal is to push as much demand as possible onto an underpowered grid, which will then be used to justify digital tracking & rationing of power consumption, managed via a single digital ID.

@Geopolitics_Emp

Since January 2021 electricity prices have soared 29.4%—about 50% more than overall inflation.

By our calculation, electricity prices have increased 13 times faster under Mr. Biden than across the previous seven years. His policies aren’t entirely to blame. But most of it is a result of the left’s climate agenda, and the price increases will get worse.

https://archive.ph/RhvzF
Biden’s Green-Energy Price Shock

The cost of electricity has climbed by 29.4% since January 2021.
By The WSJ Editorial Board
April 11, 2024 5:49 pm ET

Strategy here is similar to covid, which created an artificial scarcity of opportunities for 'real world' human connection, which was then slowly given back to the population piecemeal as a reward for compliance.

What they're counting on is for the average normie to be brainwashed or low IQ to make the causal connection between the "environmentally friendly" policies & the energy crisis.
@AnaxoSmithKline

not to mention how they also sabotage nuclear and hydro power

@fitnessfeelingz
·
Great point. What they've done to the nuclear industry is nothing short of criminal

https://x.com/fitnessfeelingz/status/17 ... 2590390492
Belligerent Savant

Postby Belligerent Savant » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:29 am

@RogerPielkeJr

Now passed peer review and soon appearing in a new Nature journal, npj Natural Hazards

Scientific Integrity and U.S. “Billion Dollar Disasters”

https://osf.io/preprints/socarxiv/3yf7b

Please share with your favorite climate beat reporter

https://x.com/RogerPielkeJr/status/1779154736073044418

Belligerent Savant

Postby Harvey » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:33 pm

The Greenland Ice core data (calibrated against other methods of inferring global temperature) speaks for itself. Most of the last ten thousand years (the Holocene) have been considerably warmer than today. Six or seven thousand year old settlements high in the Canadian mountains, revealed by retreating glaciers, demonstrate that it has been considerably warmer for most of the last ten thousand years than it is today. Look at the swift and violent temperature changes during the Younger Dryas period by comparison to now. Fact is, most of those retreating glaciers were actually created by the 'little ice age' over the last thousand years, the second coldest period since the end of the Younger Dryas. We are still emerging from it.

If Carbon is the problem, the absorption of infrared radiation by Carbon is long past 'saturation' point, in other words, no matter how much more carbon is added, the warming effect of additional carbon will remain negligible. I accept that methane is a different question. But clearly, the story we are hearing is contestable. There are other, better reasons to transition from carbon, not least, the associated wars.

On another note, look up Malcolm Bendall's so called 'Thunderstorm Generator'. The data is certainly tantalising. It doubles the efficiency of combustion engines while resulting in almost zero carbon emissions. Using his system, combustion engines produce zero or near zero carbon and typically around 18 to 20 percent oxygen exhaust gas. It appears to be causing transmutation of elements.

It's already being used in a number of countries in everything from methane generators to petroleum and diesel - and the technology is entirely open source. Don't take my word for it, have a look for yourselves.

And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:25 pm

A pleasure seeing your ‘nom de plume’ here again, Harvey!
Belligerent Savant

Postby Elvis » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:40 pm

demand that central authorities enforce austerity on all average people just trying to scrape by

This is exactly the opposite of what the Green New Deal will do.

The Green New Deal will pay people and businesses---not cost them.

Counterproductive, wasteful, and predatory businesses will die. Productive, useful, and positively innovative companies will be paid.

It is so depressing to see the Heritage Foundation and associated propaganda mills celebrated around here. This thread is a sewer of rightist corporate propaganda. This has to be said.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby stickdog99 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:49 pm

How about countering the propaganda with truthful discussion instead of just saying "Heritage Foundation" as if that is supposed to end all discussion.

For example, can you tell us more about the great new businesses you imagine will thrive and the bad ones that will die? How do you imagine that the Green New Deal will decentralize power and distribute wealth more fairly?

More critically to me personally, how do you explain our entire Western technocratic elite's total agreement with you about the emergency status of our supposed climate crisis? And how can we ensure that they will not Shock Doctrine us with this crisis as they have done with every other one that they have gotten us well meaning progressives to believe in?
stickdog99

Postby Belligerent Savant » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:28 pm

In the meantime, another datapoint for consideration:

Chris Martz
@ChrisMartzWX

38 states set their “all-time” April monthly record high temperatures in or prior to 1980, 24 of which were set before 1950 and 12 of which were over 100-years ago! Six states recorded their highest April temperatures in 1925 alone, five observed theirs in 1976 and four each in 1915 and 1989.

I ran the numbers by hand from NOAA's database on xmACIS2 and have consulted with multiple state climatologists to confirm that some I was uncertain about are legitimate, as NOAA NCEI only lists records set for all months, not individual months.

I attached a link to a .PDF file below on my blog which contains additional information on each state's “all-time” April monthly record high. Provided in the table is the actual temperature value, location(s) set and date(s) of occurrence. You may recall I have already completed March's. I will be making more maps and tables for all months as time allows. I'll upload them to my blog (here: https://chrismartzweather.com/statewide ... -extremes/) for your reference as these are completed.

Table for April statewide high temperature extremes: https://chrismartzweather.com/wp-conten ... -state.pdf

NOTE: This data might contain some minor errors, and it is subject to revision in the future if said records are either deemed incorrect, or new records are set down the road. Please bear that in mind as you share these maps and tables.

https://x.com/ChrisMartzWX/status/1781110842970247243

He must be 'right wing'.
Belligerent Savant

Postby SonicG » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:16 am

It's important to note that the oil industry has basically come to terms with a decrease in gas-fueled vehicles but is focusing on plastics to save its ass in the future.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/29/how-the ... orld-.html
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environm ... ate-change
https://www.waste360.com/plastics/how-a ... n-plastic-

Only 9% of all plastic ever made has been recycled,

I live in Japan where garbage sorting has been de rigueur the whole 25 or so years I have lived here. The amount of plastic garbage only my wife and I generate weekly always astounds me.
"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby stickdog99 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:00 pm

Are plastics better for our environment than fossil fuels?
stickdog99

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:42 am

As a tangentially related aside to the above (useful) thought exercise:

I no longer use the term 'fossil fuels', or otherwise place them in quotes, because I remain firmly agnostic on the origins of such fuels (leaning towards the premise that 'fossils' are decidedly NOT the primary source of this type of fuel).

This bit below offers a 'neutral'/apolitical summary of it:

Abiotic Oil: Is “Fossil Fuel” a Misnomer?

Posted on July 12, 2013 by Michael Minkoff, Jr. ·

Wikipedia defines “fossil fuels” as “fuels formed by natural processes such as anaerobic decomposition of buried dead organisms. The age of the organisms and their resulting fossil fuels is typically millions of years, and sometimes exceeds 650 million years.” If this is true, fossil fuels are not being made anymore. This would mean then that oil is a fixed-quantity, non-renewable resource that we are using to depletion. When it’s gone, it’s gone.

But wait. The strangest thing is happening in various oil fields all over the world: they’re filling up again. What? How could that be? Perhaps there is a world of dinosaurs living at the center of the earth and their corpses are floating up through the magma, fossilizing on the way in a dimensionally-compressed time crease and then decomposing into oil. Perhaps Jules Verne was right after all.

Or, perhaps there is another option: abiotic oil production. It could be that oil, coal, and natural gas are incorrectly named “fossil fuels.” There are pockets of people who are beginning to be open to the idea that perhaps oil is not the product of biological decomposition and fossilization over a bajillion years:

In 2008 [Forbes] reported a group of Russian and Ukrainian scientists say that oil and gas don’t come from fossils; they’re synthesized deep within the earth’s mantle by heat, pressure, and other purely chemical means, before gradually rising to the surface. Under the so-called abiotic theory of oil, finding all the energy we need is just a matter of looking beyond the traditional basins where fossils might have accumulated. ((U.S. News & World Report, Abiotic Oil a Theory Worth Exploring))
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/on- ... -exploring

A little research indicates that more than a few thinkers disagree with the scientific consensus on how oil is formed.
http://www.cfact.org/2012/09/19/is-oil- ... -resource/

Consensus scientists will of course reject these “quacks” as “snake oil salesmen.” (Get it?) It is fallacious to appeal to authority or the majority opinion. It doesn’t matter who says or thinks something. It could be right or it could be wrong. Consensus science automatically jumps down your throat if you question “climate change” or “macro-evolution.” And this is one of the main blind spots of the fossil fuel bandwagoners. All alternative theories to oil formation are rejected by the majority opinion in order to protect some of modern man’s more sacred cows. Not for scientific reasons, of course. But because of ideological prejudices.

The majority opinion on fossil fuels is intimately linked to anthropogenic climate change and macro-evolution:

Environmentalists want to believe in the biogenic production of oil because it gives legitimacy to their apocalyptic urgency. If oils are running out, and we can’t get any more, well, we better start investing in green energy. But if abiotic oil theory is correct, then oil is a renewable resource. Uh oh. That means crazy conservative earth-killers can keep polluting poor Mother Earth indefinitely.

And macro-evolutionists just don’t want to give up on their “millions and millions of years.” Indicating, even with facts or data, that oil or other geological formations can be produced over a relatively short span of time totally contradicts their paradigm and they will decry you until they are blue in the face. Never mind the fact that the linear uniformitarian model for geological development doesn’t fit any of the facts, past or present. They will cling to it by faith in the face of all evidence to the contrary.

Truth is truth, and I want to get at it. I’m not saying abiotic oil theory is right. Perhaps the biogenic fuel theory is basically right, but the time frame is way off. It definitely does not take millions of years to fossilize something. It just takes enormous heat and pressure (which the earth’s core has lots of if I remember correctly). I just want the question to be discussed openly. If the “millions of years” fossil fuel theory is correct, just how are these oil fields filling back up? Is really old oil formed tens of millions of years ago seeping up from even deeper in the earth’s core? That doesn’t fit the evidence very well. For one, the new oil, even using their dating methods, is considerably younger. And why is it showing up now? Hasn’t it been around for tens of millions of years? Oh well. Who needs evidence when you’ve got a consensus, right? At least, that’s the song all the geocentrists were singing back in the day while they were dancing around in little epicycles trying to retrofit their failed paradigm to the facts.

Thus, as is often the case, a majority prejudice is parading as proof in order to silence dissent. The “Church” has been condemned by modern “skeptics” ((To my taste, they are not skeptical at all. It amazes me what they’re willing to believe.)) for its superstitious hamstringing of the progress of scientific inquiry. Now those same so-called skeptics resort to the same tactics when they hold the reins of the majority opinion. And the Church is full of hypocrites?

https://michaelminkoff.com/abiotic-oil- ... -misnomer/

And then there is the following 'blast from the past', back when Ruppert and 'Peak Oil' theorizing was all the rage..

This was posted in 2004:
https://centerforaninformedamerica.com/newsletter-52/

An excerpt:

First to weigh in was Nature (Tom Clarke “Fossil Fuels Without the Fossils: Petroleum: Animal, Vegetable or Mineral?,” Nature News Service, August 14, 2002).

Petroleum – the archetypal fossil fuel – couldn’t have formed from the remains of dead animals and plants, claim US and Russian researchers. They argue that petroleum originated from minerals at extreme temperatures and pressures.
Other geochemists say that the work resurrects a scientific debate that is almost a fossil itself, and criticize the team’s conclusions.
The team, led by J.F. Kenney of the Gas Resources Corporation in Houston, Texas, mimicked conditions more than 100 kilometres below the earth’s surface by heating marble, iron oxide and water to around 1500° C and 50,000 times atmospheric pressure.
They produced traces of methane, the main constituent of natural gas, and octane, the hydrocarbon molecule that makes petrol. A mathematical model of the process suggests that, apart from methane, none of the ingredients of petroleum could form at depths less than 100 kilometres.

The geochemist community, and the petroleum industry, were both suitably outraged by the publication of the study. The usual parade of experts was trotted out, of course, but a funny thing happened: as much as they obviously wanted to, those experts were unable to deny the validity of the research. So they resorted to a very unusual tactic: they reluctantly acknowledged that oil can indeed be created from minerals, but they insisted that that inconvenient fact really has nothing to do with the oil that we use.

Showing that oil can also form without a biological origin does not disprove [the ‘fossil fuel’] hypothesis. “It doesn’t discredit anything,” said a geochemist who asked not to be named.
… “No one disputes that hydrocarbons can form this way,” says Mark McCaffrey, a geochemist with Oil Tracers LLC, a petroleum-prospecting consultancy in Dallas, Texas. A tiny percentage of natural oil deposits are known to be non-biological, but this doesn’t mean that petrol isn’t a fossil fuel, he says.
“I don’t know anyone in the petroleum community who really takes this prospect seriously,” says Walter Michaelis, a geochemist at the University of Hamburg in Germany.

So I guess the geochemist community is a petulant lot. They did “concede,” however, that oil “that forms inorganically at the high temperatures and massive pressures close to the Earth’s mantle layer could be forced upwards towards the surface by water, which is denser than oil. It can then be trapped by sedimentary rocks that are impermeable to oil.”

What they were acknowledging, lest anyone misunderstand, is that the oil that we pump out of reservoirs near the surface of the earth, and the oil that is spontaneously and continuously generated deep within the earth, could very well be the same oil. But even so, they insist, that is certainly no reason to abandon, or even question, our perfectly ridiculous ‘fossil fuel’ theory.

Coverage by New Scientist of the ‘controversial’ journal publication largely mirrored the coverage by Nature (Jeff Hecht “You Can Squeeze Oil Out of a Stone,” New Scientist, August 17, 2002).
Oil doesn’t come from dead plants and animals, but from plain old rock, a controversial new study claims.
The heat and pressure a hundred kilometres underground produces hydrocarbons from inorganic carbon and water, says J.F. Kenney, who runs the Gas Resources Corporation, an oil exploration firm in Houston. He and three Russian colleagues believe all our oil is made this way, and untapped supplies are there for the taking.
Petroleum geologists already accept that some oil forms like this. “Nobody ever argued that there are no inorganic sources,” says Mike Lewan of the US Geological Survey. But they take strong issue with Kenney’s claim that petroleum can’t form from organic matter in shallow rocks.

Geotimes chimed in as well, quoting Scott Imbus, an organic geochemist for Chevron Texaco Corp., who explained that the Kenney research is “an excellent and rigorous treatment of the theoretical and experimental aspects for abiotic hydrocarbon formation deep in the Earth. Unfortunately, it has little or nothing to do with the origins of commercial fossil fuel deposits.”

What we have here, quite clearly, is a situation wherein the West’s leading geochemists (read: shills for the petroleum industry) cannot impugn the validity of Kenney’s unassailable mathematical model, and so they have, remarkably enough, adopted the unusual strategy of claiming that there is actually more than one way to produce oil. It can be created under extremely high temperatures and pressures, or it can be created under relatively low temperatures and pressures. It can be created organically, or it can be created inorganically. It can be created deep within the Earth, or it can be created near the surface of the Earth. You can make it with some rocks. Or you can make it in a box. You can make it here or there. You can make it anywhere.

While obviously an absurdly desperate attempt to salvage the ‘fossil fuel’ theory, the arguments being offered by the geochemist community actually serve to further undermine the notion that oil is an irreplaceable ‘fossil fuel.’ For if we are now to believe that petroleum can be created under a wide range of conditions (a temperature range, for example, of 75° C to 1500° C), does that not cast serious doubt on the claim that conditions favored the creation of oil just “one time in the earth’s 4.5 billion year history”?

A more accurate review of Kenney’s work appeared in The Economist (“The Argument Needs Oiling,” The Economist, August 15, 2002).

Millions of years ago, tiny animals and plants died. They settled at the bottom of the oceans. Over time, they were crushed beneath layers of sediment that built up above them and eventually turned into rock. The organic matter, now trapped hundreds of metres below the surface, started to change. Under the action of gentle heat and pressure, and in the absence of air, the biological debris turned into oil and gas. Or so the story goes.
In 1951, however, a group of Soviet scientists led by Nikolai Kudryavtsev claimed that this theory of oil production was fiction. They suggested that hydrocarbons, the principal molecular constituents of oil, are generated deep within the earth from inorganic materials. Few people outside Russia listened. But one who did was J. F. Kenney, an American who today works for the Russian Academy of Sciences and is also chief executive of Gas Resources Corporation in Houston, Texas. He says it is nonsense to believe that oil derives from “squashed fish and putrefied cabbages.” This is a brave claim to make when the overwhelming majority of petroleum geologists subscribe to the biological theory of origin. But Dr Kenney has evidence to support his argument.
In this week’s Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, he claims to establish that it is energetically impossible for alkanes, one of the main types of hydrocarbon molecule in crude oil, to evolve from biological precursors at the depths where reservoirs have typically been found and plundered. He has developed a mathematical model incorporating quantum mechanics, statistics and thermodynamics which predicts the behaviour of a hydrocarbon system. The complex mixture of straight-chain and branched alkane molecules found in crude oil could, according to his calculations, have come into existence only at extremely high temperatures and pressures—far higher than those found in the earth’s crust, where the orthodox theory claims they are formed.
To back up this idea, he has shown that a cocktail of alkanes (methane, hexane, octane and so on) similar to that in natural oil is produced when a mixture of calcium carbonate, water and iron oxide is heated to 1,500° C and crushed with the weight of 50,000 atmospheres. This experiment reproduces the conditions in the earth’s upper mantle, 100 km below the surface, and so suggests that oil could be produced there from completely inorganic sources.

Kenney’s theories, when discussed at all, are universally described as “new,” “radical,” and “controversial.” In truth, however, Kenney’s ideas are not new, nor original, nor radical. Though no one other than Kenney himself seems to want to talk about it, the arguments that he presented in the PNAS study are really just the tip of a very large iceberg of suppressed scientific research.

More at link.

If any 'learnings' are to be had in this current era, particularly since 2020, it's that we should take care to reconsider previously assumed 'truths'. Because it's becoming increasingly apparent their foundations are shaky at best.

But, of course, each of us can only proceed as we deem fit. Some of us prefer not to reconsider currently-held views.
Belligerent Savant

Postby Belligerent Savant » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:45 am

‘Climate change’ narratives have long ago ‘jumped the shark’.

The below headline is far from the most absurd data point in a long line of absurdist commentary.

Truly, a present-time Idiocracy we’re experiencing on multiple fronts.

Belligerent Savant

Postby stickdog99 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:58 pm

Profits of Doom

A mainstay of the green lobby in the face of its growing number of critics is that climate sceptics are funded by oil, gas and coal interests. By claiming that commentators such as yours truly are merely the PR front for Big Oil, green campaigners feel that they have excused themselves from the need to make rational arguments. Profit, not reason, they claim, drives scrutiny of the climate agenda. But not only do their accusations lack any evidence, they ignore the much greater flow of money between private interests and green lobbyists. So, what’s in it for them?

If only we were funded by Big Oil, perhaps I would be as wealthy as Britain’s top green officials, such as the outgoing Chief Executive of the U.K. Climate Change Committee (CCC), Chris Stark. The civil servant’s total salary and benefits for the financial year 2020-21 amounted to a whopping £400,000. That’s more than the annual total income for the organisation at number one in the green demonology – the Global Warming Policy Foundation – for four out of the last five years. The CCC’s former Chairman, John Gummer, restyled as Lord Deben, was revealed to have made £600,000 from his business dealings with green companies, which he failed to declare in the register of interests – profits that helped him employ a butler, no less, at his Suffolk mansion. Gummer’s predecessor at the CCC, Lord Adair Turner, saves the planet by heating the swimming pool at his country retreat using solar power.

But as it happens, our alleged fossil fuel overlords are really quite mean. According to green activist sleuths InfluenceMap, the biggest oil companies in the world spend approximately $200 million per year on climate-related propaganda. That’s a lot of money, right? However, despite this being framed as ‘denial’ by InfluenceMap’s coreligionists, the group’s investigations expose no such thing. Rather than finding receipts, InfluenceMap’s analysis merely estimates the costs of its enemies’ advertising and lobbying campaigns – mere guesswork, in other words, forms the backbone of its research. And rather than finding ‘denial’, that analysis includes lobbying in support of Net Zero policies and global agreements. Using actual receipts, not merely estimates, I counted the total grants made by the organisations that fund InfluenceMap to green campaigning organisations. It amounted to over $1.2 billion per year – six times more than InfluenceMap guesses their enemies allegedly spend. And that is not even a remotely exhaustive survey of the green blob.

With so much money sloshing between billionaire philanthropists and ersatz ‘civil society’ organisations, the question must be, what is the quid pro quo? Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, after all. And if one can peddle misinformation on behalf of oil barons, one can peddle great big fat lies for green billionaires too.

Real estate is one of the under-explored issues at the centre of green blob business plans. Despite green claims to prioritise ‘efficiency’, green policies massively decrease the productivity of land. And there is nothing that a rent-seeker values more than scarcity. Consider, for instance, the 1.5km2 physical footprint of Hinkley Point C, the 3.2 gigawatt nuclear power station being developed in Somerset. An onshore windfarm with the same output, albeit unreliable (since the wind is variable), would occupy an area a thousand times larger. Even the Guardian recognises the swindle, reporting that the Crown Estate made £443 million in 2022, thanks in large part to the seabed it rents out to offshore wind farms. In the 2010s it was pointed out that the then-Prime Minister’s father-in-law, Sir Reginal Sheffield, made £600,000 per year from rents charged to two wind farms on his land. The upper classes are so keen on green because the relics of feudalism profit from neo-feudalism.

Zealots gotta zealot. And society has always had to deal with ideological zealots of one kind or another, who service the interests of their masters by confecting ideological imperatives. As Joel Kotkin, Martin Durkin and Vivek Ramaswamy have all documented in their analyses of the emerging political order, a new clerisy has been established as society’s moral guardians, standing between the eco-billionaires and the rest of us to enforce adherence to green diktats and other elite ideologies. Occupying countless positions across the non-wealth-creating sectors in the Civil Service, civil society, the ‘third sector’, academia and the news media, these culture war front-liners are nonetheless extremely well paid.

Greenpeace is currently hiring a Diversity, Inclusion and Anti-racism Lead for its London HQ, and will pay up to £66,192 per annum. Climb the greasy green pole to become a director of the ‘charity’, and you can expect renumeration of £95,000. Last year, the Telegraph revealed that the Vice Chancellor of Imperial College – the source of all dodgy air pollution, Covid and climate modelling – was paid a basic salary of £365,000, but earned as much as £527,400 for overseeing the prestigious institution’s crystal ball-ocks factory. The wellspring of green ideological garbage, the Guardian, claims to be supported by its readers, “not billionaire backed”, and its favourite green godfather, George Monbiot, routinely rails against mega-wealthy conspiracies that threaten to slow our slide into eco-austerity. But the newspaper is supported by a host of philanthropists directly and through its own ‘foundation’. Bill Gates’s donations to the newspaper total an equivalent of $116 per reader of the print edition. And the BBC’s role in reproducing official orthodoxy needs no rehearsal here, nor do its staffers’ generous renumeration packages.

Suffice it to say that not only are there great rewards available in the public and third sectors in roles advancing the green agenda, there are also significant punishments for those who question it. Don’t expect academic freedom to extend to scepticism of ‘climate science’ or politics. And don’t expect career advancement in the Civil Service if you believe that democracy is of greater importance than Net Zero targets. Aspiring journalists who express heterodox views won’t get anywhere near the BBC or the legacy news broadcasters, whose commitments to the agenda are plainly stated. And of course, nearly all of civil society is committed to silencing the idea that today’s society is built on affordable energy.

Hegemony is a complex idea, but put simply, political elites need to seem to be about something other than power for the sake of power. There is no mistaking the fact that intergovernmental agencies and the institutions of globalism are all aligned with the green agenda. As an earnest and aspiring young globalist wonk explained to me once, “global problems need global solutions”. But the reverse of such glibness is also true: global solutions need global problems. The World Bank and the IMF, the United Nations and its constellation of agencies, the European Union and more have all championed the cause of saving the planet, more to bolster or rescue their authority than to deliver any actual benefits. Stories that serve that political agenda are required, lest the rhetorical phrases of UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres, like “global boiling” and “code red for humanity”, be made to look like extremely ridiculous unscientific hyperbole.

ESG – Environmental, Social and Governance – is the successor to the notion of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) that businesses should be about more than profit. But more than CSR, ESG has become a tradeable commodity in its own right, as well as a near quasi-religious movement. In its simplest form, ESG is about rehabilitating the public image of billionaires, corporations and hyper-accumulations of capital – hedge funds. To me, at least, billionaire virtue-signalling was always implausible. The Rockefellers, for example, are alleged to have funded both Nazi eugenics research programmes and the United Nations’ Third World population reduction programmes in the early days of the green agenda, but now claim to “promote the well-being of humanity”. Similarly, currency speculator George Soros bet against the pound in the 1990s, leading to recession and a wave of unemployment, but now his foundation claims to help solve the world’s problems, including by funding the ironically-titled Open Democracy media platform. In the same vein, British billionaire hedge funder Christopher Hohn, with the assistance of a young Rishi Sunak, helped to bring about the collapse of RBS, leaving Hohn and Sunak with a fortunes in their pockets, and the public with a £45 billion bail out bill. But just four year later, he was knighted for services to philanthropy.

Such billionaires, and Michael Bloomberg and Richard Branson too, have poured hundreds of millions of dollars into funding organisations that promote ESG. For the most part, this involves generating hype around the idea that ESG products, being perfectly in tune with ‘nature’, are likely to yield a better return than investments in dirty brown hydrocarbon energy. But it also involves generating fear both of climate change itself and of the consequences of failing to respond obediently to the encroachment of ESG into policymaking. As a result, ESG campaigning organisations corral sheep-like investors into acting as a force for activism, in turn making corporations the instruments of ESG lobbyists. The most notable victim of this mobilisation was Nigel Farage, who was debanked by Coutts/RBS (the same RBS bailed out by the U.K. taxpayer) – a problem which has seen reported incidences increase by 44% over the last year, according to the U.K. Financial Ombudsman. Individuals, small businesses and even corporations are thus policed by financial institutions, a new and unaccountable form of governance, which is in turn able to decide who may and who may not make money, and on what basis.

So there we have it – four key ways in which the unimpeachable cause of saving the planet is in fact driven by the same old lust for money, power and influence. The stories are much deeper and broader than can be covered here, of course – this article could be 100 times longer. But what I hope it shows is that whereas green mythology posits a somewhat 19th Century view of climate sceptics defending particular interests against progressive policymaking, those same arguments can be held against the bastions of green ideology, too. That includes their favoured news media channels, institutional science, public broadcasters, charities, NGOs and think tanks. For if an oil baron may not fund a public project, why should an eco-billionaire be free to turn civil society into a constellation of corporate lobbying outfits?

The balance of evidence, as measured by pounds and dollars, suggests that the green lobby has been doing precisely what it has accused the reliable energy sector of doing. Meanwhile, there exists little more than unfounded conspiracy theory to back up green claims that private interests drive scepticism. After all, even those infamous deniers, the Koch Brothers, were revealed to have billions of dollars invested in green tech by Michael Moore and Jeff Gibbs in Planet of the Humans. The world is not as simple as wacky green fear-mongers like Chris Packham would have BBC audiences believe.
stickdog99

Postby stickdog99 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:04 pm

New Scientific Evidence That CO2 Emissions Can’t Warm Atmosphere Because it is “Saturated” Published in Peer-Reviewed Journal

Further scientific evidence has emerged to suggest that the Earth’s atmosphere is ‘saturated’ with carbon dioxide, meaning that at higher levels the ‘greenhouse’ gas will not cause temperatures to rise. A group of Polish scientists led by Dr. Jan Kubicki have published three papers recently, and according to the science site No Tricks Zone they summarise their evidence by noting that as a result of saturation, “emitted CO2 does not directly cause an increase in global temperature”. Current levels of CO2 in the atmosphere are around 418 parts per million (ppm) but the scientists state that past 400 ppm, “the CO2 concentration can no longer cause any increase in temperature”.

As regular readers of the Daily Sceptic will be aware, the saturation of CO2 in the atmosphere is the hypothesis that dares not speak its name in mainstream media, politics and across much of climate science. The Net Zero collectivisation project is dead in the water without the constant fearmongering that humans control the ever-warming climate by burning hydrocarbons and releasing CO2 into the atmosphere.

The saturation hypothesis is complex, but in simple terms it can be described by the example of loft insulation in a house. After a certain point, doubling the lagging will have little effect since most of the heat trying to escape through the roof has already been trapped. Carbon dioxide traps heat only within narrow bands of the infrared spectrum, and levels of the gas have been up to 20 times higher in the past without any sign of runaway global warming. At current levels, the Polish scientists suggest that there is “currently a multiple exceedance of the saturation mass for carbon dioxide in the Earth’s atmosphere”. The latest work is featured on Elsevier’s Science Direct peer-reviewed online platform.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 6823000456

Abstract

This article provides a brief review of research on the impact of anthropogenic increase in atmospheric CO2 concentration on Earth's climate. A simplified analysis of resonant radiation absorption in gases is conducted. Building upon the material from the cited articles, theoretical and empirical relationships between radiation absorption and the mass of the absorbing material are presented. The concept of saturation mass is introduced. Special attention is given to the phenomenon of thermal radiation absorption saturation in carbon dioxide. By comparing the saturation mass of CO2 with the quantity of this gas in Earth's atmosphere, and analyzing the results of experiments and measurements, the need for continued and improved experimental work is suggested to ascertain whether additionally emitted carbon dioxide into the atmosphere is indeed a greenhouse gas.

Conclusions

The presented material shows that despite the fact that the majority of publications attempt to depict a catastrophic future for our planet due to the anthropogenic increase in CO2 and its impact on Earth's climate, the shown facts raise serious doubts about this influence. Without delving into the accuracy of the utilized models, we should closely examine the possibilities of gathering reliable input data for these models. These data are directly related to the distribution of temperature on Earth's surface and in the atmosphere, the distribution of water vapor concentration in the atmosphere, the distribution of wind speed and direction, and the distribution of aerosols and particles in the atmosphere (clouds, aerosols above fluctuating oceans). It is obvious that simultaneous measurements of these variables across the entire globe are not feasible, and averaging them in situations where strong nonlinear dependencies exist can lead to significant errors. Moreover, the atmosphere exhibits high dynamics, which further complicates such measurements. Therefore, it is not surprising that the results in various significant works such as Schildknecht (2020) and Harde (2013), differ greatly from those presented by the IPCC, which is widely regarded as the sole reliable authority. This unequivocally suggests that the officially presented impact of anthropogenic CO2 increase on Earth's climate is merely a hypothesis rather than a substantiated fact. Resolving these dilemmas requires further experimental work to verify the results of theoretical studies at every possible stage. To answer the question of whether the additionally emitted CO2 in the atmosphere is indeed a greenhouse gas, it would be necessary, among other things, to conduct additional research for a radiation source with a temperature similar to Earth's surface temperature and measure the absorption of thermal radiation in a mixture of CO2 and air at different temperatures and pressures, as is the case in Earth's atmosphere at various altitudes. It would also be beneficial to conduct field studies using an appropriate balloon, as suggested in (Kubicki et al., 2020b). By measuring the absorption of Earth's thermal radiation in atmospheric CO2 under atmospheric pressure in a cuvette placed in the basket of a balloon in the upper layers of the troposphere, we could obtain results that would decisively settle many controversial issues. For example, if it turned out, just like in the case of thermal radiation from the Moon, that there is no noticeable absorption of Earth's thermal radiation in CO2, it would mean that the spectrum of radiation emitted into space, as presented in the illustrative Fig. 1, exhibits a "funnel" created as a result of absorption in gases and water vapor in the atmosphere. It should be noted that CO2 absorption lines at different altitudes are narrower than CO2 absorption lines under atmospheric pressure, and thus, it could be authoritatively stated that we are dealing with atmospheric saturation, and the additional CO2 emitted into the atmosphere, regardless of its altitude, will not be a greenhouse gas.

However, the intention of the authors of this article is not to encourage anyone to degrade the natural environment. Coal and petroleum are valuable chemical resources, and due to their finite reserves, they should be utilized sparingly to ensure they last for future generations. Furthermore, intensive coal mining directly contributes to environmental degradation (land drainage, landscape alteration, tectonic movements). It should also be considered that frequently used outdated heating systems burning coal and outdated internal combustion engines fueled by petroleum products emit many toxic substances (which have nothing to do with CO2). Therefore, it seems that efforts towards renewable energy sources should be intensified, but unsubstantiated arguments, especially those that hinder economic development, should not be used for this purpose.

In science, especially in the natural sciences, we should strive to present a true picture of reality, primarily through empirical knowledge.
stickdog99

Postby Belligerent Savant » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:48 pm

Belligerent Savant » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:00 am wrote:.

…the extent overt and/or clandestine geo-engineering efforts may be influencing climate locally and/or multi-regionally remains TBD. It may never be properly determined by the layman, in any event. By way of 1 readily-available example:
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/2603 ... -sunlight/
“Geoengineering Faces a Wave of Backlash Over Regulatory Gaps and Unknown Risks”

Excerpt:

In 1991, Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines erupted with enough force to spew high amounts of gas and ash all the way into the stratosphere, which starts roughly 4 miles above the Earth’s surface.

The mushroom cloud injected an estimated 20 million tons of sulfur dioxide into this layer of the atmosphere, where it mingled with water to create a hazy film of aerosol particles that spread around the globe. These droplets had a unique ability: They reflected sunlight away from the Earth—enough to cool the planet by nearly 1 degree Fahrenheit over the next year.

Scientists and entrepreneurs have raced to develop new technology to mimic this temporary natural phenomenon—and find other ways to tinker with the environment—to help slow global warming, a strategy known as geoengineering.

However, this field has recently faced a growing wave of backlash, with experts stepping forward to expound the regulatory gaps and potentially catastrophic risks associated with manipulating nature in this way.

Sun-Reflecting Simulations: In 2017, a group of scientists at Harvard launched their plans to fly a balloon 12 miles into Earth’s atmosphere to release reflective calcium carbonate particles into the air. Their goal was to simulate and study the cooling effects of dimming the sun similar to a volcanic eruption at a small scale.

But after years of delays and pushback from scientists and Indigenous groups, this project—known as SCoPEx—finally shut down on March 18. David W. Keith, a former Harvard professor who helped launch the project before leaving in 2023, says that critical news coverage and resistance from activists contributed to the project’s demise, reports the Harvard Crimson.

“I think it’s worth doing these experiments as the world considers whether or not to actually potentially use these technologies to reduce climate risks,” Keith, who is now a professor at University of Chicago, said in an interview. “This experiment just became the focus of that conversation and got blown out of proportion.”

Indigenous groups celebrated the announcement, citing that the scientists “consistently targeted Indigenous Peoples’ territories as experimental sites to test injecting aerosols into the sky to measure the effectiveness of blocking the sun,” according to a statement. However, others are concerned at the implications of shutting down this type of research-backed simulation.

“Responsible researchers deciding not to conduct this kind of research, meanwhile, gives ample room for irresponsible actors with all sorts of crazy ideas,” Gernot Wagner, a climate economist at Columbia Business School and the former executive director of Harvard’s Solar Geoengineering Research Program, told MIT Technology Review.

Regulatory Holes: Harvard isn’t the only place experimenting with geoengineering; a number of other universities and companies are exploring ways to alter the environment to fight and adapt to climate change, from sprinkling iron across the ocean to absorb more carbon emissions to releasing aerosols in clouds to trigger more rain during droughts.

But some say that these processes could have unintended negative consequences, including ripping a new hole in the ozone or changing weather patterns in areas outside the experiment zone.

Though geoengineering has rapidly advanced in the past decade, laws to regulate it have not. In the U.S., companies or individuals planning to inject aerosols into the atmosphere must submit a one-page form with the country’s Commerce Department and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) at least 10 days before, based on a law from the 1970s (see the form here).

Considering the stakes of these experiments, critics say this is not enough.

“There’s no governance on the international level, national governance, there’s no state governance, there’s nothing,” David Bookbinder, a longtime climate attorney who previously served as Sierra Club’s chief climate counsel, told E&E News.

NOAA is currently investigating the effects of ocean-based geoengineering techniques.

“I suspect some aspects of geoengineering are going to be an important component of the solution to reducing global warming, and all of the impacts of global climate change, like ocean acidification,” Richard Spinrad, the administrator of NOAA, told the Guardian earlier in March.

On an international scale, there is currently a global moratorium on large-scale geoengineering, which was created in 2010. At the end of February, Switzerland proposed a new plan to establish a panel to assess the “risks and opportunities” of solar geoengineering at the recent U.N. Environment Assembly in Nairobi, but it was promptly shut down, Justine Calma wrote for the Verge. The current protocol could leave room for small geoengineering projects to take place without many regulations, such as Make Sunsets, a controversial company that has launched weather balloons into the skies of Mexico and Reno, Nevada, to release sun-reflecting particles.

...but what if "global warming" is largely a fabrication based on faulty models, political special interests and/or other malevolent intentions?

It would make 'geo-engineering' even more of an affront than it already is, eh?
Belligerent Savant

Previous

Return to General Discussion