CIA's use of George Clooney+...Coen brothers?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: CIA's use of George Clooney+...Coen brothers?

Postby thurnundtaxis » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:41 pm

thurnundtaxis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby JackRiddler » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:42 pm

Not intimidated to say I liked Syriana and much else besides involving Clooney, so there. Burn Before Reading is a screwball comedy. There is no requirement to view it as an endorsement of incompetence theory in all things CIA. It's more a light touch on the (middle class) human condition. Men Who Stare at Goats is more problematic. Its heart may have been in the right place at some point but it ends up as an upbeat comedy about Abu Ghraib, not funny. Very much appreciated Good Night and Good Luck.

Here were my thoughts on Syriana, from Old RI, where it is apparently impossible to link to individual posts:

JackRiddler wrote:.

Syriana sprawls over multiple plotlines in a way that was criticized as too complex or didactic for a movie, but I liked it. It circumscribes the machinations of the CIA and financial actors around the merger of two giant oil companies and a related power struggle for control of a fictional Gulf principality. Future oil depletion is among the themes cited in the geostrategic justifications for various actions, but without a definitive statement for or against the idea of peak oil. It's made clear that the dominant motive for most of the key players is a combination of greed and narcissistic self-advancement.

Two attacks occur at the end, both of which would be classified as terrorism in the current reckoning.

One is a "genuine" suicide attack by young men who have been pushed into jobless desperation and who have chosen fundamentalist religion as their organizing principle for resistance. They use a US missile that was sold to a different cell earlier in a botched CIA sting operation. However, the missile's warhead is delivered at the prow of a small boat crashing into a tanker facility.

The second is a straight-up CIA assassination of the nationalist leader who is trying to overthrow the corrupt elites allied with American interests (and, if I remember, seeking a deal to supply China). He is kept under constant surveillance by satellite and killed by a missile shot from a drone plane.

Both of these scenarios reflect events that have happened in real life. I felt there was a cop-out at the end in not showing what would have surely followed: an official attribution of responsibility for the attacks as conveyed by the mass media. All that was missing to complete the film's "map" was 10 seconds of CNN in the background reporting that the two attacks in the nation of ____ bear the hallmarks of al-Qaeda, "including the use of sudden, simultaneous strikes," using the familiar footage of Bin Ladin and his followers hoisting rifles in the desert.

We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Postby stefano » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:37 am

I'm a big Coen brothers fan and I happen to think there's a lot in the final scene of Burn After Reading that a student of deep politics can take note of. I've read criticism of the fact that the director chose to 'tell and not show', but I think that's exactly right. Murders, kidnappings and cover-ups are decided by jobsworths in beige-walled, grey-carpeted, fluorescent-lighted offices in some endless corridor in Langley, where it just doesn't seem to matter what happened or what happens as long as no-one finds out. Not unlike the office politics in Syriana, in fact, where the Clooney character doesn't get listened to because his facts aren't compatible with the political line of the day, but of course with a different tone.

Good... great. Is he dead?

stefano

Re: Ira David Wood III thinks that Clooney 'gets it'

Postby crikkett » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:53 am

MinM wrote:Image
Mickey Rourke caught making out with Evan Rachel Wood at SAG bash!

Ironically the 21-year old actress hanging out with the old dude is probably much more politically astute and aware than Rourke. She's the daughter of Ira David Wood III:

She's not that astute, if she's snogging someone with a fever blister in public.

I'msorrythere'snotenoughmoneyintheworld. :tongout
crikkett

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby norton ash » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:33 am

I've become a huuuuge Evan Rachel Wood fan. She was terrific recently in 'Whatever Works' and 'Mildred Pierce.'

But, yeah, ick, Mickey Rourke's probably riddled-with-it. We must be careful who we kiss when we are drunk.
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:01 am

To be rigorous about it, though...

...there's a photo of the two of them hugging and a tabloid made the accusation in print that an anonymous source claimed to have seen them making out, so....

...wait, according to which tabloid? Why, Fox News Pop Tarts of course!!

So, let's not even consider that slice of News something factual enough to worry/think about.

From henceforth.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby MinM » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:12 pm

hanshan wrote:
MinM wrote:
MinM wrote:
Hugh Manatee Wins wrote:Note to whistleblowers -
Don't do professional wrestling if you wan't to help the truth instead of hinder it. The recent movie, 'The Wrestler,' was made to discredit Jesse Ventura since he was doing a book tour and talking about CIA in state government, 9/11 truth, and the CIA murder of JFK...

The clown that played the 'Wrestler' is Pro War! Pro Bush! :thumbsup001:

Mickey Rourke Doesn't Blame Bush! - Confessions of a Closet Republican

Monday January 12,2009

ACTOR Mickey Rourke sympathises with U.S. President George W Bush - insisting he doesn't know how any politician could have successfully navigated America after the 9/11 attacks on New York...

Mickey Rourke caught making out with Evan Rachel Wood at SAG bash! | The Dish Rag | Los Angeles Times

Ironically the 21-year old actress hanging out with the old dude is probably much more politically astute and aware than Rourke. She's the daughter of Ira David Wood III:

http://www.blackopradio.com/black408a.ram

viewtopic.php?p=278766#p278766

In his most recent interview on Black Op Radio, Ira David Wood III spoke of going out to dinner with his daughter, Evan Rachel Wood, and George Clooney while they were shooting a political thriller The Ides of March in Ohio. Apparently they delved into the JFK related matters, E Howard Hunt, et al. (7:00 minute mark)
# Show #532
Original airdate: June 23, 2011
Guests: Ira David Wood III / Jim DiEugenio
Topics: JFK Assassination Research

Play Part One - David Wood

# JFK Chronology Nov 22 1963 - who said what and when.
# was research originally for a play he was writing
# Recent updates bring known research up to June 2011 version
# Part one preface details facts leading up to Nov 22 1963 PREFACE - Chronology Part one
# New updated JFK Assassination Chronology Starting at Nov 22nd 1963

http://www.blackopradio.com/pod/black532a.mp3

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/2 ... 11625.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cel ... _blog.html

BTW 6 minutes into the interview linked above Wood mentions that Stephen King is coming out with his own JFK book.

Hell, why not? The Stand on The Grassy Knoll?

Here it is.
On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed forever.

If you had the chance to change the course of history, would you?
Would the consequences be worth it?

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students—a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunning’s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.

Not much later, Jake’s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane—and insanely possible—mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake’s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake’s life—a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.

http://www.stephenking.com/promo/11-22-63/promo_page/

Here we go again. :hamster:
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby hanshan » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:56 pm

MinM wrote:
hanshan wrote:
MinM wrote:
MinM wrote:
Hugh Manatee Wins wrote:Note to whistleblowers -
Don't do professional wrestling if you wan't to help the truth instead of hinder it. The recent movie, 'The Wrestler,' was made to discredit Jesse Ventura since he was doing a book tour and talking about CIA in state government, 9/11 truth, and the CIA murder of JFK...

The clown that played the 'Wrestler' is Pro War! Pro Bush! :thumbsup001:

Mickey Rourke Doesn't Blame Bush! - Confessions of a Closet Republican

Monday January 12,2009

ACTOR Mickey Rourke sympathises with U.S. President George W Bush - insisting he doesn't know how any politician could have successfully navigated America after the 9/11 attacks on New York...

Mickey Rourke caught making out with Evan Rachel Wood at SAG bash! | The Dish Rag | Los Angeles Times

http://www.blackopradio.com/black408a.ram

http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board2/ ... 66#p278766

In his most recent interview on Black Op Radio, Ira David Wood III spoke of going out to dinner with his daughter, Evan Rachel Wood, and George Clooney while they were shooting a political thriller The Ides of March in Ohio. Apparently they delved into the JFK related matters, E Howard Hunt, et al. (7:00 minute mark)
# Show #532
Original airdate: June 23, 2011
Guests: Ira David Wood III / Jim DiEugenio
Topics: JFK Assassination Research

Play Part One - David Wood

# JFK Chronology Nov 22 1963 - who said what and when.
# was research originally for a play he was writing
# Recent updates bring known research up to June 2011 version
# Part one preface details facts leading up to Nov 22 1963 PREFACE - Chronology Part one
# New updated JFK Assassination Chronology Starting at Nov 22nd 1963

http://www.blackopradio.com/pod/black532a.mp3

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/2 ... 11625.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cel ... _blog.html

BTW 6 minutes into the interview linked above Wood mentions that Stephen King is coming out with his own JFK book.

Hell, why not? The Stand on The Grassy Knoll?

Here it is.
On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed forever.

If you had the chance to change the course of history, would you?
Would the consequences be worth it?

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students—a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunning’s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.

Not much later, Jake’s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane—and insanely possible—mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake’s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake’s life—a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.

http://www.stephenking.com/promo/11-22-63/promo_page/

Here we go again. :hamster:

bizarre

hanshan

Postby dbcooper41 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:29 pm

this is hitting very close to home. i grew up with rachael woods mother. we were bf/gf throughout elementary school. and her dad, ira david wood III is highly worshipped locally by the society elite.
he also is remembered for having flannel shirt parties with the kids in his productions. he ran the children's theater. i think my sister was about 14 when he first hit on her(probably successfully).
you may recall that evan wood was pimped out at a very tender age.
unfortunately this all fits in with what i have grown to suspect about my childhood. i'm shaking right now. :mad2
sorry if this doesn't make sense.
dbcooper41

Postby brekin » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:35 pm

11/22/63
Background information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11/22/63

King first talked about this idea in Marvel Spotlight: The Dark Tower, an issue of Marvel Spotlight published on January 27, 2007, prior to the beginning of the ongoing comic book adaptation of King's Dark Tower series. In the magazine, in a piece entitled "An Open Letter From Stephen King", he writes about possible original ideas for comics:

"I'd like to tell a time-travel story where this guy finds a diner that connects to 1958... you always go back to the same day. So one day he goes back and just stays. Leaves his 2007 life behind. His goal? To get up to November 22, 1963, and stop Lee Harvey Oswald. He does, and he's convinced he's just FIXED THE WORLD. But when he goes back to '07, the world's a nuclear slag-heap. Not good to fool with Father Time. So then he has to go back again and stop himself... only he's taken on a fatal dose of radiation, so it's a race against time."

WTF? According to JFK and the Unspeakable wasn't JFK trying to draw down nuclear arms with Kruschev?
I hate to judge a book before I've read it but this seems like complete apologist propaganda. Maybe King will do a series
where time travelers prevent other assassinations like MLK's and the Universe caves in on itself.
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Faustian Deals...

Postby MinM » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:13 am

hanshan wrote:...
bizarre

dbcooper41 wrote:this is hitting very close to home. i grew up with rachael woods mother. we were bf/gf throughout elementary school. and her dad, ira david wood III is highly worshipped locally by the society elite.
he also is remembered for having flannel shirt parties with the kids in his productions. he ran the children's theater. i think my sister was about 14 when he first hit on her(probably successfully).
you may recall that evan wood was pimped out at a very tender age.
unfortunately this all fits in with what i have grown to suspect about my childhood. i'm shaking right now. :mad2
sorry if this doesn't make sense.

brekin wrote:
11/22/63
Background information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11/22/63

King first talked about this idea in Marvel Spotlight: The Dark Tower, an issue of Marvel Spotlight published on January 27, 2007, prior to the beginning of the ongoing comic book adaptation of King's Dark Tower series. In the magazine, in a piece entitled "An Open Letter From Stephen King", he writes about possible original ideas for comics:

"I'd like to tell a time-travel story where this guy finds a diner that connects to 1958... you always go back to the same day. So one day he goes back and just stays. Leaves his 2007 life behind. His goal? To get up to November 22, 1963, and stop Lee Harvey Oswald. He does, and he's convinced he's just FIXED THE WORLD. But when he goes back to '07, the world's a nuclear slag-heap. Not good to fool with Father Time. So then he has to go back again and stop himself... only he's taken on a fatal dose of radiation, so it's a race against time."

WTF? According to JFK and the Unspeakable wasn't JFK trying to draw down nuclear arms with Kruschev?
I hate to judge a book before I've read it but this seems like complete apologist propaganda. Maybe King will do a series
where time travelers prevent other assassinations like MLK's and the Universe caves in on itself.

Very interesting stuff.

It would also be interesting to know what kind of compromises authors like Stephen King might be forced to make. How about Norman Mailer and John Grisham before him? Either that or they are just terribly misinformed. Which seems highly unlikely.

The Worst Books Ever on the JFK Assassination - The Education Forum
That's a great website, Robert, and I've read that info on Mailer only recently...

The Blog owner of Rigorous Intuition has a collection of articles in book form.

An author called Peter Lavenda has written of Mailer as well, in his "Sinister forces" trilogy. Mailer contributed the forward to, I think, the second volume?

Lavenda talks about some of these "coincidences" surrounding Mailer...interesting.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index ... t&p=215308

The post above by Spartacus' Steve Duffy was, at least partially, in response to this RI thread:

rigorousintuition.ca :: View topic - 20 Most Amazing Coincidences
nomo wrote:
A novel that unsuspectedly described the spy next door

When Norman Mailer began his novel Barbary Shore, there was no plan to have a Russian spy as a character. As he worked on it, he introduced a Russian spy in the U.S. as a minor character. As the work progressed, the spy became the dominant character in the novel. After the novel was completed, the U.S. Immigration Service arrested a man who lived just one floor above Mailer in the same apartment building. He was Colonel Rudolf Abel, alleged to be the top Russian spy working in the U.S. at that time. (Source: Science Digest)

http://rigorousintuition.ca/board2/view ... =8&t=11669

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index ... t&p=215257
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby jam.fuse » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:31 pm

The smug insipid self satisfied face of the human known as George Clooney, coupled with his complete lack of talent depth or nuance as an actor render his work unwatchable to me.

OTOH, Mel Gibson, and many politcally conservative actors, such as John Wayne, Robert Duvall, Clint Eastwood, Charleton Heston and Dennis Hopper somwhow deliver passionate iconic performances which at times trancend the medium. Why? Maybe because conservatives at least believe in something and are willing to take risks and fight for their beliefs even if what they believe iis complete horseshit. Unlike most so called liberals who seem to have no firm beliefs.

Maybe old William Butler Yeats said it best back in 1919:

'The best lack all conviction, while the worst

Are full of passionate intensity.'

As for the Coens their work has suffered shockingly since No Country for Old Men. A painfully unwatchable Brad Pitiful \ Clooneyfest unsalvagable even by the magnificent Malkovich, and a real turd in the punchbowl in the form of the True Grit remake of the mighty seventies classic starring John 'John Wayne was a Nazi' Wayne as the larger than life Rooster Cogburn. The most disappointing film since Peter Jackson rendered JRRT's sacred text into tinseltown hoohah like a mighty racehorse into dogfood.

One wonders what is really going on in Hollywood these days when such talent as the Coens produce such tepid swill.
'I beat the Devil with a shovel so he dropped me another level' -- Redman
jam.fuse

Postby IanEye » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:44 pm

jam.fuse wrote:One wonders what is really going on in Hollywood these days when such talent as the Coens produce such tepid swill.

So, what did you think of "A Serious Man"?
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby jam.fuse » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:52 pm

I haven't seen 'A Serious Man'. What did you think?
'I beat the Devil with a shovel so he dropped me another level' -- Redman
jam.fuse

Postby IanEye » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:05 pm

I liked it! It has Richard Kind in it , who I have always enjoyed watching. His character spends most of the film draining a sebaceous cyst.

as far as Conservative actors giving great performances, I always thought Gerald McRaney did a good job with the character George Hearst on the TV show Deadwood.
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion