23 Tools To Brainwash and Influence People Through Media

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: 23

Postby IanEye » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:49 pm

American Dream » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:14 pm wrote:13. Keep information bytes infinitesimally small. Promote Attention Deficit Disorder. Several decades of television have already set this in motion.

American Dream » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:14 pm wrote:14. Repetition is key. Repeat important messages as often as possible.

American Dream » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:14 pm wrote:15. Repetition is key.

American Dream » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:14 pm wrote:16. Repetition is key.

23 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:04 pm wrote:
sunny wrote:Wherever possible show not tell. If you want to instill empathy in your children then have empathy for your children.

If you want your children to be kind then be kind to them. If you want them to be big readers, read to them. If you want them to question authority, let them see and hear you questioning authority.

No brainwashing required.

Yep. For sure. Children do what you do, more than what you say.

Pay more attention on what you're doing, not what you're saying.

To make the most difference.

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Re: 23 Tools To Brainwash and Influence People Through Media

Postby Karmamatterz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:50 pm

one juicy message.

Sorry, couldn't help but think of Wack Packages and what a great time we had as kids buying these up. Loved how they made us laugh!

Karmamatterz

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Harvey » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:26 pm

Reading David Miller and William Dinan, A Century of Spin: How Public Relations Became the Cutting Edge of Corporate Power, good overview so far.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby dada » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:51 pm

JackRiddler wrote:I capitulate: It's all true, never mind a point here or there where I'd nuance it differently. Hard to describe it without making it sound like a single plot (and obviously we can write one starting with Bernays, or the Sophists, ha, pick your preferred historical narrative of it). It's all organic to the way the technology has developed. A thousand specialties of the bullshit industries figured out its workings long ago, turned it into academic disciplines, became the semi-informed technocrats of refining it, are now in the fourth and fifth generation without necessarily having historical awareness of the overall arc. No one is fully in control, which makes it self-running, overdetermined. I have no idea how it will change on the big scale. Crash, eventually. Change?

I'd like to write my dissertation if I ever really do it on the history of the cop show, but that's not in the cards.

Brings to mind Debord, 'Comments on the Society of the Spectacle,' 1988

"Not only are the subjugated made to believe that, essentially, they are still living in a world which in fact disappeared, but the rulers themselves sometimes suffer from the thoughtlessness of still believing in it. They come to believe in a part of what they have suppressed, as if it remained a reality and had still to be included in their calculations. This delay will not last long. Those who have achieved so much so easily must necessarily go further. One must not believe that those who have not quickly understood the pliability of the new rules of their game and its form of barbaric grandeur will durably maintain themselves like an archaism in the surroundings of real power. The destiny of the spectacle is certainly not to end in enlightened despotism.

We must conclude that a change is imminent and ineluctable in the co-opted cast who manage the domination and, notably, those who direct the protection of that domination. In such an affair, the novelty of course will never be displayed on the stage of the spectacle. It will only appear like lightning, which we know only when it strikes. This change, which will decisively complete the work of these spectacular times, will occur discreetly and, although it concerns those already installed in the sphere of power, conspiratorially. It will select those who will take part in it on this central requirement: that they clearly know what obstacles they have overcome, and of what they are capable."

http://www.notbored.org/commentaires.html

Also a comparison of the opening paragraph of Bernays 'Propaganda,' and a passage near the end of Polybius' Histories VI. Same shit, different millennia.

But I ask myself, why? Why go through the motions of putting the quotes here? To enlighten anyone? Do I win RI tokens for making a good point? Everyone nods their head sagely. We're going around in circles, Jack. Circles. Robots, acting robotically. Who needs brainwashing and influencing? And here I go, doing my robotic role in the grand drama. Asking Jack. What do we do, Jack? How do we get out, ahead of this dumb thing?

We know all this already. Stop insulting my intelligence, RI! I'm disappointed in you. You like that 23 reasons bit? What is this, Cracked? The biggest joke in that piece is the bio. In fact it would be a thousand times better if the bio was a put on.

meh. That Debord essay is kind of great. He's in rare form. You should see what he says about McLuhanites. And yeah, the spectacle has erased history, bla bla bla. Polybius goes on at length, attacking other historians for not doing it right, messing up history. He mostly dismisses Polyarchus as a waste of his time, yet still manages to tear him up. And he really lays into Timaeus. The whole of Book XII is about what a shitty historian Timaeus is. hoo boy, you don't want to miss it. War of the historians.

Debord goes, "The relatively new concept of disinformation was recently imported from Russia, along with many other inventions useful in the management of modern states."

I love that. See, that's called humor.

I'm sorry, but the only way to go is pointless. Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong.

"Vainly relates to the subject; in vain to the object; uselessly without use for anyone. One has worked vainly when one has done so without success, so that one has wasted one's time and effort: one has worked in vain when one has done so without attaining the intended goal, because of the defectiveness of the work. If I cannot complete my task, I work vainly; I am uselessly wasting my time and effort. If the task I have done does not have the effect I was expecting, if I have not attained my goal, I have worked in vain; that is to say, I have done something useless. . . .

It is also said that someone has worked vainly when he has not been rewarded for his work, or when this work has not been accepted; because in this case the worker has wasted his time and effort, without this at all prejudicing the value of his work, which can be very good."
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks for the correction, Elvis. I should have added a question mark.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Harvey » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:25 pm

dada » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:51 pm wrote:Comments on the Society of the Spectacle,' 1988

I read 'spectacle' for the first time last year, and at a time when I was most likely to appreciate it. I have the commentaries but haven't gotten around to it yet, the quote is enticing. Found Society of the Spectacle very refreshing. With all of the national trauma in France over the last few years and the French elections yesterday, nothing much has changed, except for the worse. The same.

If 68 interrupted proceedings slightly, and if it changed things, those things were seamlessly incorporated for a while, but the system seems to have shitted many of them out again, holding only the appearance, the gesture of caring. Like a bleached mouse skeleton in an owls droppings, as someone here memorably phrased it.
And while we spoke of many things, fools and kings
This he said to me
"The greatest thing
You'll ever learn
Is just to love
And be loved
In return"

Eden Ahbez
Harvey

Blog: View Blog (20)

Postby MinM » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:21 pm

Michael Sexton‏ @jmsexton_ Apr 23

Comey Tried to Shield the F.B.I. From Politics. Then He Shaped an Election. | NYT http://nyti.ms/2pTDb63 #ncpol

Image@GQMagazine Apr 25

Can Law and Order's Dick Wolf salvage the FBI's image? http://gq.mn/0sNZXxJ

MinM » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:37 pm wrote:
@Ingajersey Apr 13

@USANetwork28 premiers this show #insidethefbi on April 27 at 10 pm @JamesComeyFBI #approvedthis can't wait!
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby overcoming hope » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:26 am

what dada wrote ^^^^^ a million times ditto what dada wrote.
overcoming hope

Postby minime » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:07 pm

overcoming hope » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:26 am wrote:what dada wrote ^^^^^ a million times ditto what dada wrote.

1, 5, 8, 13, 14-15-16, 17

Maybe 9 and 10.
minime

Postby MinM » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:22 pm

Elvis » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:49 pm wrote:Sidebar: The TV series approved by J.Edgar Hoover was called "The FBI," and starred Efrem Zimbalist Jr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL-0y_xvCcU

As to "The Untouchables"—"The series also incurred the displeasure of the powerful director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, J. Edgar Hoover, when the fictionalized scripts depicted Ness and his Treasury agents involved in operations that were actually the province of the FBI." (Wikipedia)

Ness worked for Treasury, I think.

J Edgar Hoover not only approved of that series but he had editorial control over it...
The F.B.I. television series

Zimbalist was most widely known for his starring role as Inspector Lewis Erskine in the Quinn Martin television production The F.B.I., which premiered on September 19, 1965 and ended with its final episode on September 8, 1974. Zimbalist was generous in his praise of producer Martin and of his own experience starring in the show. Those who worked with him on the show were equally admiring of the star's professionalism and likable personality.[11]

Zimbalist maintained a strong personal relationship with J. Edgar Hoover, who requested technical accuracy for the show and that agents be portrayed in the best possible light. Actors who played F.B.I. employees were required by Hoover to undergo a background check.[11] Zimbalist passed his background check with ease. He subsequently spent a week in Washington, D.C.., where he was interviewed by Hoover, and at the F.B.I. Academy in Quantico, Virginia. Hoover and Zimbalist remained mutual admirers for the rest of Hoover's life.[11] Hoover later held Zimbalist up as an image role model for F.B.I. employees to emulate in their personal appearance.[12]

The Society of Former Special Agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation[13] honored the character of Lewis Erskine in 1985 with a set of retired credentials.[14] On June 8, 2009 FBI Director Robert Mueller presented Zimbalist with a plaque of an honorary special agent for his work on the television series The F.B.I., on which he worked in collaboration with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and his friend J. Edgar Hoover...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efrem_Zimbalist_Jr.

...Hoover served as series consultant until his death in 1972, he was never seen in the series...

In 1967, Brooks was replaced by veteran actor William Reynolds, who played Special Agent Tom Colby until 1973. The series would enjoy its highest ratings during this time, peaking at No. 10 in the 1970–1971 season. For the final season, Shelly Novack played Special Agent Chris Daniels.

Some episodes ended with a "most wanted" segment hosted by Zimbalist, noting the F.B.I.'s most wanted criminals of the day (this was decades before the Fox Network aired America's Most Wanted). The most famous instance during the series' run came following the April 21, 1968 episode, when Zimbalist asked for information about fugitive James Earl Ray, who was being sought in the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_F.B.I._(TV_series)
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby MinM » Sat May 06, 2017 5:26 am

MinM

Postby Elvis » Sat May 06, 2017 1:22 pm

^^^^ They can speed up the video without raising the pitch of the audio...insidious!
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Previous

Return to General Discussion