Questioning Consciousness

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Questioning Consciousness

Postby backtoiam » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:58 pm

Hit the net and do some research. Its out there.
"A mind stretched by a new idea can never return to it's original dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes
backtoiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:05 pm

You see, backtoiam, that not how it works You make an unsubstantiated claim and provide us with no link.

Substantiate your claims, please. Is asking you for a link to your source material somehow beyond your ability to rationalize?

I see. It was only your state of mind that was affected, and not the limp.

I've heard that some who breathe actually eventually die. But never before have I read that their breathing alone caused them to go mad.

One should never make claims without providing some evidence of their authenticity when engaging in a discussion and then tell one's audience to try to disprove their claims or to try themselves to discover their source of information in order to verify it. It only makes the writer appear foolish at best and utterly unbelievable at the worst. If in writing, footnotes are usually used.

Praytell, where online would you suppose I could find the answer to this:

What exactly have you seen with your own eyes, btia? Someone going insane from yogic breathing, which is nothing more than breathing properly?

Btw, I already searched for a link to this I asked you, but it returned nothing remotely relative to your claim:
Many have ended up in lunatic asylums because they didn't know the difference.

I would love it if you would present us with one such case that can be documented.

Too much to ask of you?

I assure you, had I located such a link, I would not hesitate to produce it. If I had, it would only make your outlandish claims believable.
Iamwhomiam

Postby chump » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:05 pm

chump

Postby chump » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:31 am

http://cluborlov.blogspot.com/2016/10/i ... .html#more

Monday, October 24, 2016
Interview on Global Research
There is no question that technology has been key to humanity’s mastery and domination of the planet.

Thanks to these marvels of innovation, humans have transformed their natural surroundings to their service, leading to larger numbers of people, reliable and greater supplies of food, and the ability to extend lifespans.

There is of course the other edge of that sword.

Thanks to the powers they have harnessed, humanity is currently facing a multitude of interconnected dilemmas and problems stemming from population overshoot, climate change, and resource depletion. Thanks to human ingenuity applied on an industrial scale, human agencies threaten destructive wars and military interventions capable of destroying all life on the planet.

In a brilliant new book, author and past guest Dmitry Orlov postulates the existence of something called the technosphere, analogous to the biosphere, which came into existence as soon as human inventions started transforming the natural world. This artificial construct appears not to embrace life as we know it, nor does it have any affinity for the human species, beyond what can be manipulated into the technosphere’s service!

In one of our program’s most provocative interviews yet, Dmitry Orlov further explains the characteristics of the technosphere, the shortcomings of techno-fixes for our ecological crises (e.g. “renewable energy”), how organized religion and progressive social movements are enabled by and are artifacts of the technosphere, and how this force imperiling all life on Earth can ultimately be overcome and human freedom secured.

Orlov ends the interview with a review of the history behind the current Russia-US tensions, prospects for a larger war, and what, if anything, the diplomatic breakdown signifies.

Link to the audio.
(The interview starts at 7:55.)

Originally posted at GlobalResearch.ca
chump

Postby chump » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:05 pm

A bit of the interview mentioned above:

http://www.radio4all.net/files/scottpri ... de_156.mp3

Announcer: In his most recent publication, Orlov coined the term technosphere in reference to an artificial domain analogous to the biosphere. It dates back about 2 and half million years, when an early ancestors to modern human, homo habilus, started fashioning the first tools by sharpening rocks. Later inovations included the control of fire and the adoption of clothing. Over time, early humans evolved to become dependent on these techologies, so that their descendents developed digestive tracts requiring cooked foods, claws became useless fingernails requiring manufactured implements - like knives, and so on. But, in relatively recent history, technologies became so advanced and powerful, they eliminated the need of humans to adapt to their environment. They did in fact transform the environments in profound ways with the dawn of the industrial revolution, causing modern humans to inhabit a realm outside the natural world.

In the following conversation, conducted in mid October, Dimitri Orlov explains that the technosphere at this time went through a shocking, even terrifying, metamorphosis:

Dimitri: "The technosphere, which is the entire artificial realm we've created with all this machinery, all of these different life support systems, has developed a sentience of it's own - its own agenda; which is very different from our human agenda. It doesn't neccesarily have our interests in mind at all! It uses us as slaves and servants, especially the technologies and the engineers, and everybody else it pretty much tries to replace with robots... The technosphere is in runaway mode...

It is an parasitic entity that exists on top of Gaia - and undermines it. The technosphere, unlike Gaia, is unable to maintain a planet wide homeo-static equilibrium overseeing the planet. Driving it's extinction, it pollutes the environment in all sorts of ways that destroy life. It cannot exist in balance with natural resources. In fact, you have some sort of intelligence to it, but it also has a certain gigantic blind spot, in that it cannot see natural limits until it hits them; and when it does hit them, it has another blind spot in that sees natural resources as financial problems...

"... Are we going to fail with it? Well; the answer to that depends on how dependent we are on the technosphere; whether we basically swallow, or accept, the entire package, or if we make a conscious decision to let the technologies that help us become autonomous and independent, instead of (endorsing) the ones that enslave us and makes us dependent...

...We're basically being manipulated by an entity that is in control, that has it's own agenda. It doesn't really like living things at all. It prefers chemistry and physics to biology. It's favorite thing to do with living things is exterminate them. It likes to replace living things with machines. Failing that, it tries to get living things to work like machines. So, for instance, all of the livestock and breeding experiments, and all of the hybridization that goes into making useful or edible plants, is all in the direction of treating nature as a machine, and we're part of that. What the technosphere tries to do is get us to exhibit various robotic or machine like behavior, and we are trained to do that, Most of the educational system is based on the idea of rule following and obedience. In the process, we lose all sense of free will and initiative and free agency. We just become slaves to the technosphere, and of course, part of the package is that the technosphere has developed various ways to convince us that we are free, so that we don't rebel...

Money:

"... The technosphere is basically a machine like entity. It uses machine like intelligence, and reasoning based on numbers and logic, and it establishes rules for us based on numbers and logic... In terms of controlling human behavior, money is very useful because it allows everything to be quantified. For the technosphere, if something cannot be assigned a monetary value, then it is, by definition, worthless. So, by default, everything including wild animals, have a monetary value... (i.e. even poached or traded on the black market)"

"As we know, ...money can be manipulated to assign false value to... low grade resources... to make them seem valuable... The end game, over time, is the destruction of the Earth's eco-system by mis-allocation of capital."

Religion:

"The technosphere alters reality. Organized religion and moral codes - as we see it today - are artifacts or manifestations of the technosphere entity. It's not just technology in the traditional sense, it is also social and political technology that makes up the technosphere, and a lot of that has to do with manipulating human culture. Religion is a part of culture...

"We want to think that we exist for a reason, even if that reason doesn't exist, and we can't prove that it exists. Our faculties for determining the truth are limited, but what we really want is a story. So, if a four year old starts asking you the question, Why? , ...saying I don't know doesn't really satisfy, because you're supposed to make up a story!

"Your supposed to make up a story, and that's what religion really is: We want a story about stone tablets, the hand of dust. We want stories about the parting of the Red Sea. We want drama! We want great stories, and that's what religion really is. So, those stories can be used to manipulate our consciousness - and conscience - in all sorts of ways. The point is that, to the technosphere, morality is a tool! it can make us behave in moral ways. It can kill us. It can ignore our immorality. It can encourage us to behave in immoral ways. All of those are just tools in it's tool chest...

"The thing that the technosphere finds incredibly difficult to deal with is the human clan. It's the type of clan when people deal with each other face to face, have recourse with money, when they all stand up for each other and act as a group, when they interact with the outside world as a group rather than as individuals... It's very difficult or impossible for outsiders to penetrate the clan..."
chump

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:44 pm

backtoiam » 30 Jun 2016 04:02 wrote:

Rudolph Steiner strongly warns that due to the difference in the energy field between certain continents on which people are born that eastern breathing exercises can be very harmful to western people. Many have ended up in lunatic asylums because they didn't know the difference. I might cruise back through his books and see if I can identify the book in which he gives this caution. He explains his thinking quite well. Attempting to invoke the "kundalini" in the wrong way can easily create a trip to the asylum. I have known some and its not funny at all to say the least.

According to Steiner breathing exercises are beneficial, but, westerners should not do it like easterners do it because it can be very harmful. It can also be permanent. Once bitten twice shy.

added on edit

Max Heindel of the Rosicrucian Order also sternly warns against western people doing eastern breathing exercises. According to Max and Rudolph if you fuck this up you can go insane and if it goes wrong it can be permanent and it usually is or lasts many years. I have seen it with my own eyes and I understand the words of caution.

Are you on first name terms with dead people?
Joe Hillshoist

Postby chump » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:49 pm

chump

Postby Sounder » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:37 am

Thanks chump, I will try to check Orlov out.

This is a response to something from Iam in the Hillary thread.
Later I determined that our split model of reality creates the bad assumptions that continue to produce the messed-upness in this world.

Why do we stick with this poor reality model? Co-dependence?

Iam wrote…
There's no accounting for one's beliefs.

Mostly they seem to trace back to shared beliefs of society and surroundings.

Iam wrote...
Your smart ('smart' being either a gerund...) post was meant for Jack to be (...or a present participle) smarting after he read it. Unless, of course, I'm wrong. But that is how I took its meaning. And I'm not at all bothered by self evident truth, quite frankly, it's all I know.

At this point I suppose that element is there at least sub-consciously. But I have been saying this same thing for nearly ten years now and it is certainly not meant only for Jack.

And you are very smart, as you're well aware.

Actually I self identify as being quite ignorant, but I am still trying to valiantly change this condition.

There is a distinction to be made between ‘smart’ and ‘intelligence’. I love them both, and learn a lot from smart people, but intelligence seems to be more from the heart and often is expressed and lived better by folk that do not have a great deal of what is conventionally considered as being smart.

But for a smart guy, I'm confused that you wrote this, "Later I determined that our split model of reality creates the bad assumptions that continue to produce the messed-upness in this world."

Oh snap, you mean that is not a smart thing to write?
Our physical reality has a constructive and destructive cycle, as does everything physical throughout this universe. People tend to see things as good or bad, the eternal harmonic balance of construction, chaos, and destruction.

But it is the smart guys who got us thinking outside the box, mostly due to developments in quantum mechanics that violated the rules of Physics, to see dimensions beyond our own, and a great many at that. So, without that binary thinking you disdain we'd still be firmly locked inside our binary thinking.

A lot could be written for this, some other time. But no I do not disdain binary thinking, and yes, by accident IMO, quantum mechanics has broken down the old box a bit. The system of Descartes has enabled a great flourishing of analytical skills in society during these last few centuries. But at some point limiting factors are seen when the hard boundary conditions that are characteristic of an object oriented modeling system no longer seem to work.

And you're not guilty for causing the world's problems, but with snide commentary you're not really making it better.

Of course I’m not guilty, but I like your style Iam, snide commentary alleging snide commentary, yes all very constructive.
Besides, it's all only a mental construct. The reality you experience is not real, but rather an illusion, though delusion would in general be more apt a word to use. This is not a slur or an attack against your character, as I am here with you, sharing your delusion. The only thing is, I understand this, and perhaps you do not, though that I would find surprising.

The preceding is either bullshit baiting or an extreme expression of ignorance, take your pick.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby chump » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:09 am

Image)

Pretty cool video at the link below (which caught my attention because a few months ago I was visiting this place - and posted this picture from another patient's point of view...

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/fr ... rible-odds
Accident victim makes miraculous recovery despite terrible odds
Eric Lupher
6:49 PM, Nov 4, 2016
10:03 AM, Nov 5, 2016

PARKER, Colo. -- It wasn't even a year ago when Molei Wright first met with Denver7 while confined to a hospital bed. With tubes everywhere, Wright was alert but couldn't speak.

Molei was partially paralyzed and internally decapitated after a devastating accident in which she and her boyfriend were struck by a truck while driving a car on Kenosha Pass.

MORE | Read the original story on Molei's crash here.

Jeremy was driving. He was hurt, but OK. Molei took the brunt of the crash. It was a stranger who pulled her out of the car. Henry Rodriquez performed CPR on her for 45 minutes. Doctors are saying that's what saved her life.

"We were told Molei had a less than one percent chance to live," said Molei's mother Maureen Wright. "It was awful. We thought we were going to lose Molei."

Despite all the odds, Molei is now home with her mom.

"I think she's been touched by whatever you want to call it," said occupational therapist Diane Rockwell.

Denver7 visited Molei at her home. She was up and moving with Rockwell by her side. She still has trouble getting up and walking on her own. Her wheelchair is still the primary mode of getting around.

"She has Motor ataxia so it's hard for her to control her movement," said Rockwell. "She has some sensory loss in her left side."

Molei has to relearn some basic things, like swallowing and picking up objects.

Molei also has vocal paralysis.

"We've been working really hard on her vocal chord production and breath control," said speech pathologist Stephanie Then. "When I first started with her, I couldn't even hear her voice at all. It wasn't even a whisper. It was just pretty much like air flowing over her lips."

Meanwhile, Molei's hard work and positive attitude have paid off. She was well enough to sit down for an interview.

"I feel good," she said with a grin.

Molei went on to talk about the accident she has no recollection of. She only remembers waking up in a hospital bed after being in a medically induced coma.

"I was like 'What' Where am I?' Molei explained.

She went on to say the most frustrating thing about being in the hospital was not being able to use her voice.

"Just like wanting to say something but you can't," she said.

Molei remembers when her hero, Henry Rodriquez, came to visit her in the hospital. She heard everything he said, but all she wanted to do was say thank you. Now she can.

"I love him, and like thank you so much. I know that's not enough."

Molei has a long way to go and she knows that. She has a family to back her up and a boyfriend who won't leave her side.

"Tell the people that you love that you love them," he said. "Be grateful for the blessings that you have in your life."

Asked whether love helped get her though, Molei said, "Absolutely. I joke with Jeremy that I'll be the next Olympic swimmer. You never know. Maybe."

chump

Postby chump » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:21 pm

This video creatively compares quantum, string, holographic, Plank, and unified field type theories to a video game... And to the way a hologram is created.

https://youtu.be/lMBt_yfGKpU#t=25m45s

-------------------------------

https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2016 ... ess-ops-2/

If you were Chief of CIA Consciousness Ops
by Jon Rappoport
December 30, 2016

There is an obsession to say that everything is made out of something.

Who knows where it started? With the Egyptian pyramid builders? The Sumerians?

In the modern era, the fervor has reached a high point.

Physicists, biologists, and chemists are relentless in their pursuit of consciousness as a function of the brain. It has to be the brain. All those synapses and neurons and chemicals…and underneath them, the atoms and the sub-atomic particles…somehow these tiny particles conspire to produce consciousness and awareness.

Yet these same scientists deny that a sub-atomic particle carries any trace of awareness. The particles flow. They obey laws. That’s all.

So the experts are painted into a corner. They then speculate: “Well, you see, the increased ability to process information, the complexity of structure—naturally, this implies consciousness.”

No it doesn’t.

A Ferrari is complex. So is the Empire State Building. So is the IBM’s best computer. And? Where is the consciousness?

You, sitting there right now, reading these words—you understand the words; you KNOW you’re reading them; you’re not just processing information. YOU ARE CONSCIOUS.

If a physicist wants to say that you, knowing you’re reading, are just a phenomenon of atoms in motion, let him try, let him explain. Let him do more than bloviate.

Imagine you were the chief of a CIA section called Consciousness Covert Ops. What would you try to do, given that your motive, as always, is control?

You would try to convince the population that consciousness isn’t free and wide-ranging and powerful and independent. You would try to narrow the popular belief about consciousness.

What better way than to focus on the brain as the seat of all awareness?

“The brain functions according to laws. We’re discovering more and more about those laws. We can determine when the brain is malfunctioning. We’re learning how to correct those malfunctions.”

Indeed.

You’re spinning narrative about the brain as if it were a car that has to visit the shop. That’s what you want. You want to make people believe their brains need fixes, because, after all, you come out of the long tradition of CIA MKULTRA mind control.

When the brain comes into the shop, you can try to reprogram it. You can experiment. You can apply the latest technology. You can attempt to insert controls. You can place monitors in the brain, in order to observe it in real time.

At a more basic, yes, philosophic level, you want to eliminate any sort of movement claiming that consciousness is separate from the brain. You want to snuff that idea out. It’s counter-productive, to say the least. It could give rise to a renaissance of an old outmoded notion called: freedom.

What could be more free, more independent, more unique, more creative than individual consciousness that has a non-material basis?

You want to do everything you can to equate consciousness with the brain and, thus, the modern idea of the computer. Yes, the computer. Perfect.

Consciousness is a computer operating at a very high level.”

“All computers can be improved.”

“All computers can malfunction. They can be repaired.”

And then, the ultimate coup:

Consciousness? A very old idea that, in light of the progress of technology, has no merit. It’s really information processing. The brain handles that. The brain is a computer. We’re learning how to build a better brain…”

You’re shifting the focus of the old 1950s MKULTRA program, which mainly involved drugs and hypnosis, to a new arena. You’re coming at the territory inside the skull from a number of angles. You’re the next generation of Brave New World.

And right across town, the Pentagon and its research branch, DARPA, is deeply involved in a number of allied research projects. For example, the cortical modem, a little piece of equipment that costs about $10.

The gist? Insert proteins into neurons, and then beam photons into those proteins, thus creating image displays that bypass the normal channels of perception.

Virtual reality with no headset. The project is still in its early stages, but the direction is clear: give the “user” an image display beyond his ability to choose.

It’s touted as an overlay. The person, walking down the street, can still see the street, but he can also see what you give him, what you insert into his visual cortex. Of course, as the technology advances, you could take things further: block out physical reality and immerse the person in the virtual.

DARPA’s enthusiasm about this project, as usual, exceeds its current grasp, but its determination to succeed is quite genuine. And the money is there.

Think about this. Which way is a bright college student going to go? He can study ancient philosophy, in the least popular department on campus. He can read the Vedanta, and plow through its explications of consciousness. Or he can study biology and physics, and then try to land an entry job with the Pentagon, where he can fiddle with the human brain for fun and profit. This student has been thoroughly immersed in computers since he could crawl. He understands what they do and how they work. He’s been taught, over and over, that the human brain (consciousness) is a computer. So what path will he take?

Over and above everything I’m pointing out in this article, there is a human capacity called imagination. It’s the wild card in the deck. It’s the greatest wild card ever known. It is, in fact, the cutting edge of consciousness. It invents new realities. It releases gigantic amounts of buried energy. And it’s entirely an individual proposition.

I built my second collection, Exit From The Matrix, on that basis: the liberation and expansion of imagination. Not just in theory, but in practice. There are dozens of imagination techniques to work with.

Brain=computer=consciousness is the greatest covert op on the planet. It’s supported with major money and labs and journals and armies of psychiatrists and neurological professionals and physicists and the military.

And the op is completely false, because, again, the very scientists who push it are saying the brain is composed of sub-atomic particles THAT CONTAIN ZERO CONSCIOUSNESS.

Think about that.

They’re saying consciousness arises out of particles that have no consciousness.

Jon Rappoport
chump

Postby Elvis » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:55 pm

Jon Rappoport wrote:https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2016 ... ess-ops-2/

by Jon Rappoport
December 30, 2016

At a more basic, yes, philosophic level, you want to eliminate any sort of movement claiming that consciousness is separate from the brain. You want to snuff that idea out.

I get off the boat with Jon Rappoport on some subjects but this piece is good and I agree with the gist of it, selected above.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Sounder » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:56 am

Jon wrote...
They’re saying consciousness arises out of particles that have no consciousness.

There is no need for logic in this brave new world.

Jon Rappoport wrote:

by Jon Rappoport
December 30, 2016

At a more basic, yes, philosophic level, you want to eliminate any sort of movement claiming that consciousness is separate from the brain. You want to snuff that idea out.

elvis wrote
I get off the boat with Jon Rappoport on some subjects but this piece is good and I agree with the gist of it, selected above.

Well sure, and why should we need to agree with everything a person says in order to afford respect toward some of the things a person says. The mere fact that Jon is heavily demonized is an indicator that he making hits on what the dominant narrative would have you believe.

I do find common ground with Jon here and indeed expressed a version of the same in the Jesus Christ thread shortly before reading this thread.
All these things will continue as long as coercion remains a central element of our mentality.
Sounder

Postby stickdog99 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:13 pm

To me, explaining the existence of consciousness is hardly problematic, even for the most narrow minded neodarwinist materialist. Consciousness exists because knowing one knows something gives one with a distinct social advantage over simply knowing something. Consciousness exists because self-reflective personalities make many social organisms intrinsically more attractive to many other social organisms.

The queen is simply the gyne who can best pipe what it means to bee.
stickdog99

Postby DrEvil » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:04 pm

chump » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:21 am wrote:This video creatively compares quantum, string, holographic, Plank, and unified field type theories to a video game... And to the way a hologram is created.

..snip..

by Jon Rappoport
December 30, 2016

There is an obsession to say that everything is made out of something.

Who knows where it started? With the Egyptian pyramid builders? The Sumerians?

In the modern era, the fervor has reached a high point.

Physicists, biologists, and chemists are relentless in their pursuit of consciousness as a function of the brain. It has to be the brain. All those synapses and neurons and chemicals…and underneath them, the atoms and the sub-atomic particles…somehow these tiny particles conspire to produce consciousness and awareness.

Yet these same scientists deny that a sub-atomic particle carries any trace of awareness. The particles flow. They obey laws. That’s all.

So the experts are painted into a corner. They then speculate: “Well, you see, the increased ability to process information, the complexity of structure—naturally, this implies consciousness.”

No it doesn’t.

A Ferrari is complex. So is the Empire State Building. So is the IBM’s best computer. And? Where is the consciousness?

You, sitting there right now, reading these words—you understand the words; you KNOW you’re reading them; you’re not just processing information. YOU ARE CONSCIOUS.

If a physicist wants to say that you, knowing you’re reading, are just a phenomenon of atoms in motion, let him try, let him explain. Let him do more than bloviate.

Imagine you were the chief of a CIA section called Consciousness Covert Ops. What would you try to do, given that your motive, as always, is control?

You would try to convince the population that consciousness isn’t free and wide-ranging and powerful and independent. You would try to narrow the popular belief about consciousness.

What better way than to focus on the brain as the seat of all awareness?

“The brain functions according to laws. We’re discovering more and more about those laws. We can determine when the brain is malfunctioning. We’re learning how to correct those malfunctions.”

Indeed.

You’re spinning narrative about the brain as if it were a car that has to visit the shop. That’s what you want. You want to make people believe their brains need fixes, because, after all, you come out of the long tradition of CIA MKULTRA mind control.

When the brain comes into the shop, you can try to reprogram it. You can experiment. You can apply the latest technology. You can attempt to insert controls. You can place monitors in the brain, in order to observe it in real time.

At a more basic, yes, philosophic level, you want to eliminate any sort of movement claiming that consciousness is separate from the brain. You want to snuff that idea out. It’s counter-productive, to say the least. It could give rise to a renaissance of an old outmoded notion called: freedom.

What could be more free, more independent, more unique, more creative than individual consciousness that has a non-material basis?

You want to do everything you can to equate consciousness with the brain and, thus, the modern idea of the computer. Yes, the computer. Perfect.

Consciousness is a computer operating at a very high level.”

“All computers can be improved.”

“All computers can malfunction. They can be repaired.”

And then, the ultimate coup:

Consciousness? A very old idea that, in light of the progress of technology, has no merit. It’s really information processing. The brain handles that. The brain is a computer. We’re learning how to build a better brain…”

You’re shifting the focus of the old 1950s MKULTRA program, which mainly involved drugs and hypnosis, to a new arena. You’re coming at the territory inside the skull from a number of angles. You’re the next generation of Brave New World.

And right across town, the Pentagon and its research branch, DARPA, is deeply involved in a number of allied research projects. For example, the cortical modem, a little piece of equipment that costs about $10.

The gist? Insert proteins into neurons, and then beam photons into those proteins, thus creating image displays that bypass the normal channels of perception.

Virtual reality with no headset. The project is still in its early stages, but the direction is clear: give the “user” an image display beyond his ability to choose.

It’s touted as an overlay. The person, walking down the street, can still see the street, but he can also see what you give him, what you insert into his visual cortex. Of course, as the technology advances, you could take things further: block out physical reality and immerse the person in the virtual.

DARPA’s enthusiasm about this project, as usual, exceeds its current grasp, but its determination to succeed is quite genuine. And the money is there.

Think about this. Which way is a bright college student going to go? He can study ancient philosophy, in the least popular department on campus. He can read the Vedanta, and plow through its explications of consciousness. Or he can study biology and physics, and then try to land an entry job with the Pentagon, where he can fiddle with the human brain for fun and profit. This student has been thoroughly immersed in computers since he could crawl. He understands what they do and how they work. He’s been taught, over and over, that the human brain (consciousness) is a computer. So what path will he take?

Over and above everything I’m pointing out in this article, there is a human capacity called imagination. It’s the wild card in the deck. It’s the greatest wild card ever known. It is, in fact, the cutting edge of consciousness. It invents new realities. It releases gigantic amounts of buried energy. And it’s entirely an individual proposition.

I built my second collection, Exit From The Matrix, on that basis: the liberation and expansion of imagination. Not just in theory, but in practice. There are dozens of imagination techniques to work with.

Brain=computer=consciousness is the greatest covert op on the planet. It’s supported with major money and labs and journals and armies of psychiatrists and neurological professionals and physicists and the military.

And the op is completely false, because, again, the very scientists who push it are saying the brain is composed of sub-atomic particles THAT CONTAIN ZERO CONSCIOUSNESS.

Think about that.

Jon Rappoport

Wow, that was a pretty shit article, one degree of separation away from going full Godwin.
Rappoport is comparing material science to the most extreme worst case scenario he can imagine and treating that as the logical and only viable conclusion: material consciousness = total mind control and the end of free will.

But let's say that consciousness is something more than particles bouncing around inside our skulls:
what is it then? Does someone have a better explanation, preferably supported with some kind of evidence, maybe even serious research, or is it all based in religious thinking or existential angst that we're not special or immortal?

This is a dumb statement, considering that no one really knows how consciousness works. He can't possibly know that it isn't like that. All he supplies is new age woo and innuendo while pissing all over the people doing actual hard research into an extremely hard problem.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby Elvis » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:58 am

DrEvil wrote:let's say that consciousness is something more than particles bouncing around inside our skulls:
what is it then? Does someone have a better explanation, preferably supported with some kind of evidence, maybe even serious research, or is it all based in religious thinking or existential angst that we're not special or immortal?

No, some of it's based in scientific thinking. I've posted what I think constitutes evidence in, among other places, the "Decoding Death: The Science of Near Death Experiences" thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40261

Starting with this CBC Radio program: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/decoding- ... of+June+22

If consciousness is produced by and limited to the brain, how can the phenomena described in the program (and a myriad of other places) be explained? For many people the simplest explanation is somehow just unacceptable, but here's a challenge to all brain-based scoffers: explain it!

(Try to do better than the debunker guy in the CBC program. Good luck.)
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion