Questioning Consciousness

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Questioning Consciousness

Postby dada » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:37 pm

Elvis » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:53 pm wrote:I have a question for consciousness: Who are you and why are you here?

These are the kind of questions I ask my ouija board. Questioning the unconscious.

Consciousness prefers Jeopardy-style questions, and clever NYTimes crossword clues.
Both his words and manner of speech seemed at first totally unfamiliar to me, and yet somehow they stirred memories - as an actor might be stirred by the forgotten lines of some role he had played far away and long ago.
dada

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby thrulookingglass » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:42 am

This skinner box existence. Stimuli and response.
"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved. That is the only reality in this world, all else is folly" - Tolstoy
Life is one big pyramid scheme. Even God uses violence to solve his problems, or so we are lead to believe. Franz Ferdinand, Gulf of Tonkin, Operation Mongoose, Plum Island CDC created a more virulent lyme disease, Coup de etat in Dallas, 9/11, Gulf War Syndrome, Deep Water Horizon, Katrina...school shootings...the decay of decency. Where to paint the lamb's blood, on your house or your enemies? One of us in chains, none of us are free. For if divine love does not encompass us all, it is not a love divine. We live not for ourselves, but for a God's approval. I want a Montessori god! This forgery of life. Torture is never righteous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h59NhxP ... tdzDg&t=0s
thrulookingglass

Postby minime » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:41 pm

Consciousness is both sides of the looking glass.
minime

Postby chump » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:13 pm

chump

Postby minime » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:22 pm

Free association can be a wonderful thing. Especially helpful in the brainstorming stage.

And then lightning strikes.

"Won't you help me please?"
minime

Postby BenDhyan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:23 pm

Is there a collective human consciousness?
Is there collective consciousness of all of earth's nature?
Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby minime » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:12 am

BenDhyan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:23 pm wrote:Is there a collective human consciousness? Is there collective consciousness of all of earth's nature?

Some questions are better than others.
minime

The Earth Has a Soul

Postby Burnt Hill » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:13 am

BenDhyan wrote:Is there a collective human consciousness?
Burnt Hill

Re: The Earth Has a Soul

Postby minime » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:16 am

Burnt Hill » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:13 pm wrote:Image

BenDhyan wrote:Is there a collective human consciousness?

Some quotes are better than others.
minime

Postby PufPuf93 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:24 am

Is there a collective human consciousness?

Jung has seemed to have gone out of style in recent times though the idea of collective consciousness has always caught my fancy.

Not that we as humans would be conscious of the nature and extent of our own consciousness.

I became aware of Adorno back in the 1990's because of Ben Watson's Zappa book, "The Negative Dialectics of Poodle Play". I could actually pay attention long enough to wade through reads like that back then.

https://www.amazon.com/Frank-Zappa-Nega ... oodle+Play
PufPuf93

Postby minime » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:29 am

PufPuf93 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:24 pm wrote:Jung has seemed to have gone out of style in recent times though the idea of collective consciousness has always caught my fancy.

Not in my experience. Certainly not around here.

Of course, there is Jung and then there is Jung.
minime

Postby PufPuf93 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:48 am

minime » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:29 pm wrote:
PufPuf93 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:24 pm wrote:Jung has seemed to have gone out of style in recent times though the idea of collective consciousness has always caught my fancy.

Not in my experience. Certainly not around here.

Of course, there is Jung and then there is Jung.

My impression is that humanity has gone so far into technology and the consciousness that is social media that subjective metaphysics seems old or out of fashion.

World has passed me by in that sense.
PufPuf93

Postby minime » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:29 am

My impression is that humanity has gone so far into technology and the consciousness that is social media that subjective metaphysics seems old or out of fashion.

Why, you can have any kind of impression you want. Myself, I used technology to download pretty much the entire Jung canon. As well as hundreds and hundreds of heretofore unavailable tomes on every kind of esoterica. The Internet is a portal into subjective metaphysics.

The din from the resulting conversation--including social media--around the world can be heard without effort... merely by pressing your ear to the ground. Can you hear it? Temblors in the Schumann resonance.

Of course, if you absolutely must be defeated, how can anyone stop you?
minime

Postby PufPuf93 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:00 am

minime » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:29 pm wrote:

Why, you can have any kind of impression you want. Myself, I used technology to download pretty much the entire Jung canon. As well as hundreds and hundreds of heretofore unavailable tomes on every kind of esoterica. The Internet is a portal into subjective metaphysics.

The din from the resulting conversation--including social media--around the world can be heard without effort... merely by pressing your ear to the ground. Can you hear it? Temblors in the Schumann resonance.

I am not arguing with you.

Admit I prefer old books over the internet but also recognize the vast amount available on the internet.

Lots of social media is babble. RI is a bright spot.

I am of age and health status that life is ebbing and waning. Nature is of most comfort and connection for me.

Regards consciousness, our human senses enjoy such a limited band and our technology expands our senses but in a miniscule manner compared to what we cannot conceive. This does not bother me, things are just that way. We are not equipped to notice much but are we ever curious.
PufPuf93

Postby minime » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:23 am

PufPuf93 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:00 am wrote:
minime » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:29 pm wrote:

I am not arguing with you.

Admit I prefer old books over the internet but also recognize the vast amount available on the internet.

Lots of social media is babble. RI is a bright spot.

I am of age and health status that life is ebbing and waning. Nature is of most comfort and connection for me.

Regards consciousness, our human senses enjoy such a limited band and our technology expands our senses but in a miniscule manner compared to what we cannot conceive. This does not bother me, things are just that way. We are not equipped to notice much but are we ever curious.

Compared to lots of social media, RI is a bright spot. Compared to bright spots, RI is babble.

Our perceptions are indeed limited; our consciousness is less so.

Everywhere perturbations. Can you see them?
minime

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion