Jersey investigation into child abuse

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Jersey investigation into child abuse

Postby blanc » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:38 am

human remains have been uncovered in the course of investigation into historic child abuse allegations in a childrens home on the island of Jersey
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/jersey/7260625.stm
blanc

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Jersey investigation into child abuse

Postby Stephen Morgan » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:11 am

blanc wrote:human remains have been uncovered in the course of investigation into historic child abuse allegations in a childrens home on the island of Jersey
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/jersey/7260625.stm

The news coverage has been interesting. A Jersey senator was on the telly yesterday complaining about being shouted down in the States, I believe they call the Jersey parliament, for asking questions about this investigation. The Minister in charge of the home and investigation was doing some of the shouting and followed the other Senator on the TV claiming he'd done it to stop the questioner making political capital from it. Nothing to do with a cover-up. The questioner had used the word conspiracy.

BBC Breakfast this morning, hardly a bastion of harsh questioning and investigative reporting, asked some Jersey official how these children could be missing so long without any reports being made, "I can't answer that question". I remember Colin Wilson mentioning Jersey satanism in one of his books. Might've been Guernsey.

Anyway, someone's stumbled over something very dirty here.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby gideon » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:06 am

Jersey has a huge financial industry, and although it's probably irrelevant, there is an awful lot of Masons in Jersey. A (wealthy) friend of mine lives there, and he gets very anti when I raise the subject with him.
gideon

Postby blanc » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:53 am

to get to live on Jersey you have to be wealthy. one wonders how, on such a small, self contained, island community, children went missing from a facility without any hoo hah.
blanc

Postby semper occultus » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:03 pm

this looks like another Fred West scenario - wonder if this place had visitors in police uniforms like the West's house of horrors ?

Notorious paedophile dubbed the 'Beast of Jersey' linked to orphanage horror as suspected body count hits seven
Last updated at 16:35pm on 25th February 2008

A notorious paedophile dubbed the "Beast of Jersey" visited the Haut de la Garenne orphanage dressed as Father Christmas during his reign of terror in the 1960s, it has emerged today......

Sick Edward Paisnel was jailed for 30 years in 1971 for a string of sex attacks on children and women spanning 11 years......

Paisnel, a guardian of several foster children, was obsessed with black magic and wore a rubber mask and nail-studded bracelets during his attacks.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=517855&in_page_id=1770
semper occultus

Postby winston smith » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:38 am

there seem to be 2 threads on this topic so i have posted in both:

http://stuartsyvret.blogspot.com/

in case you havent seen it this gives a lot of background. Syvret is the whistleblower and former jersey health minister (apparently sacked for bringing all this out into the open) as mentioned in your linked article.

sorry on edit as im reading his blog. He just quoted Dylan.

You might snort, ‘But only a damn fool goes into politics and doesn’t find a means of minting it?’ Yeah – maybe. But I’ve never taken bribes or kick-backs; haven’t supported the passage of legislation being introduced at the sole request of my own firm (I don’t have one); never engineered development permissions for friends and family; never been offered the “company directorships” which used to be the cash-cow of Jersey politicians; and never used my political influence to obstruct investigations into illegal activities at a bank of which I happened to have been a non-executive director.

So it’s my own damn fault. If I had taken the establishment shilling, kept my mouth shut, toed the party-line, not rocked the boat, been obedient to the whims of the oligarchs – maybe, I too could have shared in some of the riches which wash around the higher levels of Jersey society.

But there are important up-sides to my situation. I remain uncorrupted, answerable to no-one but myself and able to do and say what I believe to be right.

And, of course, there is another tremendous advantage to my position. In the immortal words of Bob Dylan:

“when you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose.”

I hope syvret is genuine and i dont see anything so far that says otherwise. He is really standing up and absolute respect to him for that.
winston smith

Postby Jeff » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:17 am

semper occultus wrote:
A notorious paedophile dubbed the "Beast of Jersey" visited the Haut de la Garenne orphanage dressed as Father Christmas during his reign of terror in the 1960s, it has emerged today......

In costume, left, from this story (the link gets screwed up because of the quotation marks; it's the whole string, so need to cut and paste both lines):
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/arti ... 0-details/
'Colditz'+care+home+victim+reveals+true+horror+of+staff's+abuse+as+police+excavate+cellar,+fearing+it+hides+a+mass+grave/article.do

A guardian of several foster children, he was obsessed with black magic and wore a rubber mask and nail-studded bracelets during his attacks.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby Project Willow » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:32 pm

I posted on this also here:

http://rigorousintuition.ca/board/viewtopic.php?t=16378

Can we merge the threads?
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby blanc » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:08 pm

good idea
blanc

Postby Jeff » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:11 pm

I've locked the duplicate thread and redirecting to this one.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby semper occultus » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:34 pm

Going a bit tangential here so hope not too off-topic but the UK news-papers are a general catalogue of horrors this past week.

3 sickening serial-killer trials ( upon one of which see below ) & now a paedophile concentration-camp revealed on Jersey - all on top of Al-Fayed's pantomime villain performance at the Diana enquiry - Rig. Intuition is starting to look like a haven of light-relief at the moment.

If one were a cranky conspiracy-theorist one might start to ruminate upon this psychological media assault arising against a background of government pressure to introduce a national DNA data-base let alone what other politico-economic woes they are trying to divert attention away from.

To those familiar with Dave McGowan & other researchers into the deep-politics of serial-killing this story struck some familiar chords :-

Bellfield: The killer with a hatred of blondes who boasted 'I'm above the law'
(snip ) ..... he acted as a registered police informant for a number of years, passing on bits of "unimportant tittle-tattle", according to one source, to stay "in" with the law.
But at the same time, he was boasting to friends that he had shaved his entire body to avoid leaving any DNA evidence and was "untouchable".

Bellfield told one of his victims, former friend Peter Rodriguez, before he beat him into a coma: "The law doesn't apply to people like me."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=516700&in_page_id=1770&ct=5

Aside from the police links one also notes the reference to diagnosis & drug treatment as clinically depressive which implies some degree of interaction with the psychiatric health-services.

Wonder what he meant by that last statement ? Maybe something along the lines of the following re a previous investigation :-

snip....Incredibly, police knocked on his door ten times, failed to get a reply and gave up.

They ignored his attempts to target two other young girls in the weeks before Milly disappeared plus the failure to identify a red car he drove, captured on CCTV the day she vanished.

.........he was also reported a staggering 93 times to police for alleged indecent assaults, physical attacks and obscene phone calls.

These missed opportunities left the serial killer free to hunt down other victims.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=518574&in_page_id=1770

One wonders whether the prospect of such incompetence being unintentional is more depressing than the alternative possibility.
semper occultus

Postby hiddenite » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:54 am

http://www.communitycare.co.uk/Articles/2008/02/26/107379/essential-information-about-the-jersey-case.html

This is a collection of articles by the Community Care organization.

This is a Guardian article

'A problem with punishment'A government minister and a care manager on Jersey claim to have been sacked for raising awkward questions about child protection on the island
Haroon Siddique and David Batty guardian.co.uk, Tuesday February 26 2008 Article history · Contact us Contact usClose Contact the Society editor
editor@societyguardian.co.uk Report errors or inaccuracies: userhelp@guardian.co.uk Letters for publication should be sent to: letters@guardian.co.uk If you need help using the site: userhelp@guardian.co.uk Call the main Guardian and Observer switchboard:
+44 (0)20 7278 2332
Advertising guide License/buy our content About this articleClose This article was first published on guardian.co.uk on Tuesday February 26 2008. It was last updated at 10:25 on February 26 2008.The grim discovery of a child's remains at a former Jersey care home – and the search for further bodies – follows concerns about the level of protection afforded to children on the island that date back years.

Police are investigating allegations of sexual and physical abuse at Jersey institutions since the 1960s.

The discovery of the remains came after two – albeit unrelated - inquiries into children's services last year and a police investigation.

In 2002, a former Ofsted employee, Kathie Bull – Ofsted has no jurisdiction in Jersey – produced a report highlighting concerns about children's services and calling for the closure of some childcare homes on the island.

In August last year, Jersey's council of ministers announced an inquiry to be led by another expert, Andrew Williamson, after allegations that the Bull report had failed to bring about change.

One of those pointing the finger was Steve Bellwood, who went public with claims of "abusive practice" at the Greenfields youth detention centre where he had taken over as manager in August 2006.

He told Community Care magazine he was "criticised for having a problem with punishment" when, in January 2007, he raised concerns about holding children in solitary confinement in a policy then in place known as Grand Prix.

A document laying out the policy was seen by Community Care. According to the magazine it stated that "children were placed in their rooms for 24 hours on arriving at the centre. They were also placed in solitary confinement for 24 hours for repeated bad behaviour."

After being put on gardening leave and then sacked in May last year, Bellwood decided to contest his dismissal at a tribunal. He also took up his case with Stuart Syvret, the island's minister for health and social services.

Syvret supported Bellwood and raised other concerns about child protection, describing the "routine and coercive" solitary confinement of 11 to 16 year-olds as "torture".

"Bare cell with concrete table, concrete bed and a lavatory – that was it," said Syvret. "The children confined to these cells were not permitted to have any pencils or writing material and even their bedding and mattress would be taken out of the cell in daylight hours.

"Twenty-four hours was the minimum punishment, but sometimes it could go on for days. It looked like institutionalised child abuse."

The Howard League for Penal Reform said the system would be "unlikely to be lawful" in England and Wales and contravened the European convention on human rights.

Jersey's chief minister, Frank Walker, said there was "no evidence" to support Syvret's allegations but nevertheless an inquiry was set up, to be run by Williamson, a social work consultant.

Syvret also invited the Howard league to Jersey to examine "the whole sphere" of child and youth custody.

In the meantime Syvret found himself in the middle of a political row as he described the response to his allegations as a "whitewash".

He was dismissed from his post in September over criticism of his conduct towards social services staff, ministers and civil servants but he claimed he had been "sacked for whistleblowing".

"Simon [Bellwood] and I sacrificed our jobs but it was worthwhile because now hopefully the system will get fixed," Syvret told Community Care.

Two months later, in November, Jersey police said they were investigating "a number of allegations of historical sexual and physical abuse of children".

They revealed that the main focus was on the Haute de la Garenne care home – where the child's remains were discovered – and the Jersey Sea Cadets.

Police said the investigation was looking at allegations going back to the 1960s but mainly relating to the 1970s and 1980s, predating the concerns raised by Bellwood and Syvret by some years.

Nevertheless, the police investigation and the discovery of the remains will undoubtedly raise new questions about the treatment of the pair.

Jersey's government is aware it urgently needs to address not only possible past problems but concerns that widespread abuse in care homes on the picturesque island is a modern day problem.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/feb/25/childprotection.ukcrime1

Interestingly the same dog that alerted to the child's skull in Jersey ,despite 7" of concrete and the 20 years that have passed since they were first buried , is the very same dog that alerted to the back of the car in the Madeleine McCann case.
hiddenite

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:03 pm

More (very interesting) stuff on Paisnel, from the time:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 59,00.html

The Hermit of Les Ecrehous
Monday, Dec. 13, 1971

A new moon shone that Saturday night in March 1960 in St. Martin, a picturesque dot of a town on the coast of Jersey, largest of the bucolic Channel Islands. As the village slept, a silent intruder broke into a small cottage, abducted a 14-year-old girl from her ground-floor bedroom and led her to a nearby field, where he raped her and nearly strangled her by twisting a rope around her neck.
[Shades of Jon Benet there, I thought, though it's a common enough murder method with these types]

The girl's ordeal was only the latest in a series of similar horrors, and it sent waves of fear through the area. It was not long before those fears found a focus: brawny, broad-shouldered Alphonse Le Gastelois, a sometime woodworker and full-time eccentric who lived alone in a tumble-down St. Martin cottage. Le Gastelois had no friends. Most nights, he could be spotted in his baggy clothes, loping along St. Martin's roads and footpaths. What was he up to? "I love nature," he would say. "I listen to the sounds of the dark and the silence."

Soon Le Gastelois began hearing other sounds. As the months wore on, bringing five more unsolved sex crimes, suspicion turned to hostility and then violence. Le Gastelois was stoned and spat upon when he walked through the village. Hooligans tore his cottage apart. By the summer of 1961, he had had enough. He fled to a stony, wave-swept reef seven miles offshore known as Les Ecrehous (the Rocky Islets). On his barren refuge, no larger than a football field, he learned to subsist on lobster, crab and boiled sea lettuce, plus gifts brought by curiosity- seeking tourists. "Only by going away could I clear my name," he would tell them. "I was sure the terrible attacks would continue and my innocence would be recognized."

Le Gastelois was right on both counts. Nine more attacks occurred after his flight, bringing the total to 21, on young boys as well as girls. Last week, after more than a decade of terror, a three-judge Jersey court convicted a St. Martin building contractor, Edward Paisnel, on 13 counts of assault, rape and sodomy in six of the attacks. His sentence has not yet been determined.

It was not surprising that Paisnel, 46, a balding, mustached man, had escaped suspicion for so long. Though he fitted the few scraps of description offered by the victims—rough hands, a habit of softly muttering "Jesus"—Paisnel was a respected businessman, husband, and guardian of several foster children. Every year, "Uncle Ted" faithfully appeared at the local orphanage, dressed as Father Christmas, I! I to hand out sweets and toys. [Shades of Gacy, too]

On other occasions, it later developed, his costume was quite different. Last July police caught him in a stolen car. He was wearing a jacket studded with nails at the shoulders and on the lapels, and had with him a rubber mask, a woman's wig and several lengths of rope. "I belong to a religious secret society," he explained feebly. "I'm on my way to a sex orgy." [Shades of, well, loads of stuff there]

Behind a cupboard in his home, police found the entrance to a windowless room containing books on black magic and witchcraft, a nail-studded raincoat, and an altar draped with black velvet. During his five-day trial, it came out that Paisnel believed that he was a descendant of Gilles de Rais, the original Bluebeard. De Rais was hanged in 1440 after admitting that he had murdered something like 200 children whom he had lured to his castle in France "for my daily pleasures." [De Rais, of course, was a Satanist - and did not work alone]

Le Gastelois got the news by radio last week, but it was years too late. The old woodworker, 57, ragged and wild-eyed, would not leave his rock. "This is my home now!" he raged. "Jersey crucified me."
Last edited by AhabsOtherLeg on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby madeupname452 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:54 pm

happy 63rd birthday sir philip martin
uk elites and their predilictions

Jersey is a small (90,000 population) island with a mediaeval system of Government - it isn't in the EU
The Current Bailiff of Jersey is SIR PHILIP MARTIN BAILHACHE , QC who was elected to the post in 1989.He was for many years in the 70's and 80's the Governor of the Jersey Home for Boys (Haut de la Garenne).

more at links
madeupname452

Postby Jeff » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:22 am

Third room found at Jersey home

BBC Feb 28

Police are to investigate a third cellar at Haut de la Garenne in Jersey following a phone call from an ex-staff member at the former children's home.

A sniffer dog reacted "strongly" when it entered the first underground room at the former children's home on Wednesday, according to officers.

On Saturday, the remains of a child was discovered on the premises, which is at the centre of abuse allegations.

Search teams are digging turf which they believe may have been disturbed.

More than 160 people have called police to say they were abused at the home.

'Fits descriptions'

Jersey deputy chief police officer Lenny Harper said the force had received 70 calls from people mentioning a cellar.

"It would appear as if the cellar is exactly as some of the witnesses who've made statements to us, and victims have described," he told reporters.

Officers have already gained partial access to the first cellar after structural engineers assessed the safety of the building.

A forensic archaeologist is due to enter it to begin sifting through large piles of rubble and soil.

Senior officers said the reaction of a sniffer dog inside the room was similar to when a child's remains were found at the home on Saturday.

A second underground room adjoining the first has still to be searched.

It is understood the second chamber is the same size as the first - about 12ft square and 8ft high - and is also bricked up.

Mr Harper said: "Some of the bricking up appears suspicious but there could be an innocent explanation for it.

"The initial look at what is in there certainly corroborates some of the victims."

The cellars are among six areas at the site identified for further investigation by officers.

Inquiries have so far uncovered 40 suspects and prompted 200 phone calls from alleged victims and witnesses.

The NSPCC said it had received more than 100 calls from adults reporting allegations of child abuse in Jersey.

More than a third of the calls were made in the last two days and 45 have been referred to the States of Jersey police, the charity said.

MPs led by the Liberal Democrat John Hemming have called for a wider public inquiry into what they say are "numerous proven reports of abuse in care in England" over the years.

Previously, 17 MPs from all parties had tabled a Commons motion accusing Jersey officials of "concealment" in failing to deal with the problem.

The MPs, led by Labour's Austin Mitchell, said the political authorities in Jersey have been "seriously compromised" by repeatedly failing to act properly.

However, the States of Jersey's Chief Minister, Frank Walker, has denied any cover-up in tackling the allegations.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe ... 268516.stm
Jeff
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion