This week in jellyfish

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

the jelly giant is not even safe days after it is dead.

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:33 am

Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Re: This week in jellyfish

Postby zangtang » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:40 am

yeah, i've seen that one - fuck me, balls of steel! - i wouldn't get that close - would you? - you just never know......
- still, at least no tentacles - well, kinda, but they're more like fronds aren't they/

Real tentacles.........just.....no (its game over)

Trust you guys are all ok - i'm still alive - never did get the numberplate, but then again, i haven't seen them since - and i don't plan to.(!)

Godspeed x
zangtang

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:50 am

reminds me of a member of a forum I had been posting on recently :P

it's so funny how I stumble on metaphors the second I need just the right one

yea I got that close :jumping:

thanks Min...you are always there when I need you the most....and we will always have hu man a tea in our hearts

to drink from :lovehearts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aowSGxim_O8

Buy me a drink, sing me a song,
Take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby stoneonstone » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:45 pm

stoneonstone

These Jellyfish are Sleeping

Postby Burnt Hill » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:05 pm

Even Jellyfish Sleep

Three Caltech students have shown that these brainless animals have their own version of slumber.

Ed Yong Sep 21, 2017 Science

When Ravi Nath asks people if jellyfish sleep, he finds that everyone thinks they know the answer. Roughly half say yes, and half say no. Some scientists assert that only mammals and birds could be said to truly sleep. Other people think that even plants have something akin to sleep. “Every person we’ve asked has an opinion,” Nath says. “Even a 10-year-old kid has a response.”

Nath has an answer, too. Along with his friends and fellow California Institute of Technology students Claire Bedbrook and Michael Abrams, he put a jellyfish called Cassiopea through a gauntlet of clever experiments, which confirmed that they do indeed enter a sleeplike state. Every night, they become less active and less responsive. They can be easily roused from this state, but if they’re deprived of their slow periods for too long, they become even more inactive and unresponsive the next day—as if they were reeling from an all-nighter. And if the trio are right, their discovery has big implications for understanding both how sleep evolved—and why.

Sleep is widespread across the animal kingdom. Fish sleep. Flies sleep. Even nematode worms, which Nath studies, sleep. But jellyfish belong to one of the most ancient animal groups, which split off from those other creatures at least 600 million years ago. If they also have a version of sleep, it suggests that the roots of this behavior are more ancient than anyone suspected.

Do jellyfish dream of gelatinous sheep? No one can say.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/09/even-jellyfish-sleep/540432/
Burnt Hill

Postby Grizzly » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:35 pm

Jesus Crisp! SLAD, is that your feet/shoes near that blob? ( don't answer that but I was just wondering) Get away from that thing...lol

I had an experience in Florida with 'man of wars', that was pretty narly, this thing rapped around my girlfriends, son's leg and we had to take him to the emergency room to get it off him. Poor kid was traumatised. I think we all were...

p.s. while I'm here, I sure would be interested and thrilled in a post from Jeff, if he hasn't completely given up the ship...
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby liminalOyster » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:10 pm

"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Previous

Return to General Discussion