When A Plane Crashes...

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: When A Plane Crashes...

Postby MinM » Wed May 01, 2013 7:29 pm

Image @nypost: INSANE video of US cargo plane crashing in Afghanistan

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/329298058363949057

Sometimes it's more about who owns it .. than who's on it.
US cargo plane crash in Afghanistan kills 7

* From ASSOCIATED PRESS
* Last Updated: 6:13 PM, April 30, 2013
* Posted: 7:19 AM, April 30, 2013

KABUL, Afghanistan — A civilian cargo plane owned by an American company crashed at Bagram Air Field, north of the Afghan capital, soon after takeoff on Monday, killing all seven people aboard, the US-led military coalition said.

The Taliban quickly claimed responsibility for downing the Boeing 747-400, but NATO said in a statement to The Associated Press that the Taliban "claims are false." The coalition says the cause of the crash was being investigated by emergency crews that rushed to the site, but there was no sign of insurgent activity in the area at the time.

Capt. Luca Carniel, a coalition spokesman, said the aircraft crashed from a low altitude right after takeoff.

The plane — owned by National Airlines, an Orlando, Florida-based subsidiary of National Air Cargo — was carrying vehicles and other cargo, according to National Air Cargo Vice President Shirley Kaufman. She said those killed were four pilots, two mechanics and a load master, who was responsible for making sure that the weight and balance of the cargo is appropriate...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/internatio ... ewyorkpost

Emptwheel and Glenn Greenwald explore that question in this story...
@ggreenwald: Muslim cabdriver in DC - an Iraq War veteran - is attacked by passenger for being a "jihadist" & "terrorist"

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/3 ... 5208394752

Muslim cabdriver alleges assault by passenger who cited Boston Marathon bombing
An Army reservist and Iraq veteran who works as a cabdriver says a passenger he picked up early Friday at a Northern Virginia country club accused him of being a terrorist because he is Muslim, then fractured his jaw in an attack being described by Islamic activists as a hate crime.

Mohamed A. Salim says the passenger compared him to the men accused of carrying out the Boston Marathon bombing 11 days earlier and threatened to kill him.

“Because I’m a Muslim, he treated me like a piece of trash,” Salim said. “I love this country. I didn’t deserve this.”

Ed Dahlberg of Clifton, who has been charged with misdemeanor assault, denied hitting Salim in a statement released by his attorney.

Muslim rights workers said Salim’s account is supported by medical records and an 11-minute, obscenity-filled video of Dahlberg’s remarks leading up to the alleged assault. Salim, a 39-year-old from Great Falls, provided The Washington Post with a copy, which his attorney described as evidence of the prejudice that others sometimes face but rarely document.

The video, which Salim took on his phone, appears to show physical contact between the men but does not capture the alleged punch that Salim said fractured his jaw, the Boston bombing reference or the threat to kill. Salim said that those happened after he stopped recording so he could call the police.

On the video, a middle-aged businessman can be heard asking Salim if he is Islamic and then asserting that most Muslims are terrorists. He says the Koran directs Muslims to kill nonbelievers and then repeatedly and loudly demands that Salim denounce the Sept. 11, 2001, attackers. When Salim asks if the passenger is threatening him, the passenger uses an obscene phrase to respond in the affirmative.

“If you’re a Muslim, you’re a [expletive] jihadist,” the passenger says. “You are just as bad as the rest of them.”

The video ends with a blur of motion and audio of Salim asking, “Why are you punching me? Sir, why are you punching me?”

The passenger replies: “You’re a [expletive] Muslim.”

The insult is followed by the sound of a car door slamming. In an interview, Salim said Dahlberg left briefly but returned, struck him and ran into the woods.

Dahlberg’s attorney, Demetry Pikrallidas, said Dahlberg did not assault Salim. Even so, he said, Dahlberg wanted to apologize to anyone offended by his remarks. Dahlberg was profoundly affected by the Sept. 11 attacks, Pikrallidas said, and misunderstood Salim’s response to his questions.

Dahlberg “became rather emotional as the discussion turned to jihad and 9/11, and especially heated on the subject of jihadists who want to harm America,” Pikrallidas said in a statement.

Pikrallidas described Dahlberg as a “hardworking family man and a church-going person” who had been drinking but was not intoxicated. He stressed that Salim’s video shows the ride began with six minutes of friendly conversation.

The Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations on Monday asked Fairfax County prosecutors to designate the attack a hate crime. “The prosecutor has a clear opportunity to send a message that anti-Muslim crime will not be tolerated, ” said Gadeir Abbas, an attorney for CAIR.

On the video, Dahlberg describes himself as the owner of a local brokerage that sells large business jets internationally.

Salim said he has had a headache since the incident, has lost hearing in one ear and has blurred vision. Medical records provided by Salim show that he was treated for a fractured jaw and a head injury.

Salim, a married father of four who emigrated from Somalia 15 years ago, said the incident was particularly painful because he is a naturalized U.S. citizen and an Army Reserve sergeant who served in Baghdad and the U.S. military facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. He has worked in intelligence and as a linguist, he said.

“I’m real angry,” he said. “I served my country. I fought. I sacrificed.”

Salim said he was dispatched to the Country Club of Fairfax about 2 a.m. Friday to pick up Dahlberg. When he arrived, he said he told Dahlberg he could not enter the cab with an open beer, so Dahlberg finished it.

Dahlberg then began complaining about the time that had expired on the taxi’s meter, Salim said. As a precaution, Salim said, he started the video recorder on his phone. For most of the ride, it recorded audio but the camera was obscured.

Dahlberg can be heard asking where Salim is from and whether he’s Muslim. Then Dahlberg demands to know Salim’s view of jihad and the 9/11 terrorists, growing progressively louder.

“If you’re a Muslim, you are [expletive] on that same page” as the Sept. 11 terrorists, Dahlberg says at one point. “Denounce those [expletives] that flew jets into the World Trade Center. . . . Tell me that they are pieces of [expletive], or you are with them. . . .

“If you’re a [expletive] Muslim flying jets into the World Trade Center, then [expletive] you, I will slice your [expletive] throat right now.” ...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/mus ... story.html

@emptywheel: @ggreenwald Sort of makes you wonder who his customers for his aviation service are.

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/3 ... 6683212801

Private Jet Charter in Washington DC and Northern Virginia

Whether you’re traveling for business or leisure, private jet charters provide you with an unparalleled travel experience. Why should you charter a private jet?

* Cost-effectiveness
* Convenience and flexibility
* Hassle-free travel
* Luxury and comfort
* Increased productivity
* Security, confidentiality, and safety

We make your travel simple and worry-free, working with our partners to tailor the jet charter flight experience to your individual needs and tastes. We’ll make sure that no detail is overlooked in coordinating your private jet charter trip, ensuring that your flight is productive, efficient and comfortable.

LET US HELP PLAN YOUR NEXT TRIP
We’re here to help make your private jet charter experience unforgettable. Simply give us a call at 703-361-3330 or submit the online form below to get started.
*(denotes required field)
Name: *
E-Mail Address: * ...

http://web.archive.org/web/201203042334 ... -virginia/
Earth-704509
MinM

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby MinM » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:30 am

Mx32 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:54 am wrote:Do you find yourself checking the story to see if anyone "interesting" died?

Crash claims top AIDS researchers heading to Melbourne

July 18, 2014 -
By STEVE LILLEBUEN

About 100 of the 298 people killed at the Malaysia Airlines crash were heading to Melbourne for a major AIDS conference, conference attendees have been told.

Delegates at a pre-conference in Sydney were told on Friday morning that around 100 medical researchers, health workers and activists were on the plane that went down near the Russia-Ukraine border, including former International AIDS Society president Joep Lange.

Health researcher Clive Aspin, who is attending the pre-conference, said the news had hit everyone hard, coming 16 years after AIDS research pioneer Jonathan Mann also died in a plane crash.

"A number of colleagues and friends en route to attend the 20th International AIDS Conference taking place in Melbourne, Australia were on board the Malaysian Airlines MH17 flight that has crashed over Ukraine," Michael Kessler of the International AIDS Society (IAS) said in a statement.

"At this incredibly sad and sensitive time the IAS stands with our international family and sends condolences to the loved ones of those who have been lost to this tragedy."

The passenger plane had been flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur when it was shot down, killing all 298 people on board. It was due to connect with another Malaysia Airlines flight scheduled to arrive in Melbourne on Friday night. Many medical researchers have expressed sympathy online upon hearing that both World Health Organisation (WHO) staff and well-known HIV researchers had died in the crash.

Friends and colleagues of Dutch HIV researcher Dr Joep Lange took to social media to express shock that he was among the victims of the plane crash. Dr Lange had been researching HIV for 30 years.

‘‘He was a kind man and a true humanitarian,’’ US medical professor Seema Yasmin wrote in a series of tweets dedicated to him. ‘‘How do we measure how much a person has done for humanity? People like Joep change the course of epidemics.’’ Dr Yasmin could not be immediately contacted.

What a HUGE loss to the world. Just learned that dear friend, amazing father to 5 girls and veteran AIDS researcher Joep Lange was on #MH17

http://www.smh.com.au/national/crash-cl ... zuaw3.html

Last edited by MinM on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinM

Postby 82_28 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:08 am

Hate to do it. But this song had quite an impact on me as as a 20something.

Building a Mystery. . .

There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby MinM » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:38 pm

Image89.3 KPCC @KPCC · Brazilian presidential candidate Eduardo Campos dies in plane crash http://kp.cc/1AenWRv

http://www.democraticunderground.com/110832827
MinM

Previous

Return to General Discussion