Original RI quotes only

Moderators: DrVolin, 82_28, Elvis, Jeff

Re: Original RI quotes only

Postby Belligerent Savant » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:16 pm

.

Burnt Hill » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:52 pm wrote:I don't feel too bad about your having to scroll through a copy/pasted article.
Normally I would suggest just reading the darn thing.
But I scroll right through a lot of crap too, never thought to complain about scrolling through - maybe complain about the article itself.
And sure, weaponized copy/pasta is poor technique,
Anyway it was more in response to the idea that this very thread was fouled by "copypasta".
So cheers :cheers:

Belligerent Savant wrote:.

JackRiddler » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:38 pm wrote:
Burnt Hill » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:12 pm wrote:The copy/paste argument has got to go.
If I were moderator I would insist we stop complaining about something that is a necessary and appreciated sharing of information. Its getting old, just scroll down and quit complaining, or maybe read the article and comment on it.
:mad2


It's too damn long for a thread with discussion going. It's a lot of scrolling! I'm not always logged in, so "foe" doesn't work and scroll-scroll-scroll it goes just to reach someone's one-liner before the next scroll-scroll-scroll. It's impolite. A headline, a few paragraphs and the link suffice. I did it in the days of the Wall Street thread, but no one was complaining because that one moved a lot slower, and, humbly, I was finding a lot of different perspectives. If one fears the Memory Hole (that used to be the justification, for me too) and therefore wants to archive full articles, I'm for it but not in the middle of active discussions. Often it's done passive-aggressively, as an answer to someone's point.


Perfect summary of my thoughts on this 'phenomenon' (and I would wager we're not alone in this sentiment).
Well done, JR.


* First time I ever used that "mad2" smilie, felt good.



Touché, BHill.

You're entitled to be half-right. :sarcasm

(we're in danger of derailing the "original RI quotes" thread -- outlaws, we are.)
Last edited by Belligerent Savant on Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Belligerent Savant
 
Posts: 1847
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Location: North Atlantic.
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Original RI quotes only

Postby Burnt Hill » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:29 pm

I know. How did we get in here anyway? Gotta find my way out...
User avatar
Burnt Hill
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:42 pm
Location: down down
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Original RI quotes only

Postby Elvis » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:43 am

If Mr. Assad would have simply allowed his country to be used as a stepping stone to Iran, we could have been saved much of this trouble.
—Sounder

:lol: :thumbsup
"Frankly, I don't think it's a good idea but the sums proposed are enormous."
User avatar
Elvis
 
Posts: 5047
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:24 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Original RI quotes only

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:41 pm

Elvis » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:10 pm wrote:And why do we at RI need to know what David Brock's mediamatters says about what Alex Jones says?—besides its comedy value. In RI terms, it's grade school stuff. The diligent highlighting isn't worth the filler material quality. Are we third-graders here?


Emphasis added.
User avatar
MacCruiskeen
 
Posts: 9243
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:47 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Original RI quotes only

Postby Grizzly » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:17 am

Image
If Barthes can forgive me, “What the public wants is the image of passion Justice, not passion Justice itself.”
Grizzly
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:15 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Original RI quotes only

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:21 pm

.



JackRiddler » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:35 am wrote:Yet another piece decrying a theoretical general construct of "The Left" never specified as actual people or groups or through actual statements. (There are real-life Tankies, but none mentioned or cited.) A bunch of prejudices about a strawman are given. Who says "The Left" or antiwar people don't care about Syrians when so many of them call for an end to the war on all sides? I can more easily say this author doesn't care about the Kurds being massacred right now (and completely ignored in this discourse) by the bogus "ex" jihadis of the "Free Syrian Army" under Turkish command. Another 200,000 refugees! What has he got to say about that?


AND

bks » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:24 am wrote:This is the baseline for discussing "what to do" in Syria: recognizing what has been done by the US/NATO/KSA already, what is still being done by them, what the imperial goals are related to what has been done, and (therefore) understanding that anything "to be done" that does not materially oppose these goals is rightly construed as supporting them. There is an obligation therefore to support of the sovereign nation of Syria, or else be rightly found complicit in your "neutrality" with what the US/NATO/KSA has done and is doing in Syria. Anything else that is done is, in effect, supportive of imperial invaders. You may think it sucks that those of the real terms of the conflict, but those are the terms.

The (Largely Unrecognized) US Occupation of Syria

The United States has invaded Syria with a significant military force, is occupying nearly one-third of its territory, has announced plans for an indefinite occupation, and is plundering the country’s petroleum resources. Washington has no authorization under international or even US law to invade and occupy Syria, much less attack Syrian forces, which it has done repeatedly. Nor has it a legal warrant to create new administrative and governance structures in the country to replace the Syrian government, a project it is undertaking through a parallel invasion of US diplomatic personnel. These actions—criminal, plunderous, and an assault on democracy at an international level—amount to a retrograde project of recolonization by an empire bent on extending its supremacy to all the Arab and Muslim worlds, including the few remaining outposts of resistance to foreign tyranny. Moreover, US actions represent an escalation of Washington’s long war on Syria, previously carried out through proxies, including the Muslim Brotherhood and Al Qaeda, into a full-scale conventional war with direct US military involvement. Yet, despite the enormity of the project, and the escalation of the war, the US occupation of Syria has largely flown under the radar of public awareness. . .

https://gowans.wordpress.com/2018/03/11 ... -of-syria/


AND

bks » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:19 am wrote:
Sounder » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:02 am wrote:Mohammed Sulaiman wrote...
However, this is not to suggest that “Western intervention” in Syria is driven by dominating and stealing their material resources or because it wants to reshape the region so that it can establish a firm foothold against the axis of resistance or protect Israel. If this were the case, it would have intervened much earlier and on a scale much larger than just a limited number of airstrikes conducted in less than one hour.


(gotta love 'howevers')
This if/then statement doesn't work because it whitewashes the millions of dollars and weapons sent continually and on a long term basis to the terrorists.

Thanks bks, what you wrote is so succinct and straight up. Excellent quote choice also. I would like to, but do not think we will hear any arguments against it.

You may think it sucks that those of the real terms of the conflict, but those are the terms.


On second thought, I'm confident that AD can pull something from the c/p catalogue that deals with just this kind of wrong think.



I'd like to see the argument against it. And I'd like to see in that argument a call for the invasion of the US that should have begun 200 years ago on behalf of the 13%+ percent of the population that has suffered historic, brutal forms of oppression that continue to this day in the form of the "criminal justice system" and other institutions, an oppession which remains a moral imperative to intervene against.
User avatar
Belligerent Savant
 
Posts: 1847
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:58 pm
Location: North Atlantic.
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Original RI quotes only

Postby Jerky » Fri May 04, 2018 11:37 am

I actually kind of liked Dunkirk and found some of Dr Evil's criticisms either unfair or somewhat confusing. However, there's no arguing the evergreen usability of his parting thought:

The best thing I can say about the movie is that it's not Interstellar.
User avatar
Jerky
 
Posts: 1864
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:28 pm
Location: Toronto, ON
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Original RI quotes only

Postby JackRiddler » Sat May 05, 2018 12:52 pm

me wrote:I could complain that this thread is supposed to highlight our best work and smartest insights, not the game of troll/counter/troll, but if you go back to p. 1 you can see the first item posted was me being mean to a now-departed member, just for the lulz.
To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

Top Secret Wall St. Iraq? & more
User avatar
JackRiddler
 
Posts: 13092
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: New York City
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Original RI quotes only

Postby Burnt Hill » Sun May 06, 2018 10:38 am

quoting mentalgongfu2
"With certain people hem-hawing nonstop about the slow death of this board due to lack of discussion, some seem happy to continue focusing on individuals above issues to the detriment of the discussion they claim they want"
User avatar
Burnt Hill
 
Posts: 2582
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:42 pm
Location: down down
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Original RI quotes only

Postby brainpanhandler » Mon May 07, 2018 11:31 am

JackRiddler wrote:I could complain that this thread is supposed to highlight our best work and smartest insights, not the game of troll/counter/troll, but if you go back to p. 1 you can see the first item posted was me being mean to a now-departed member, just for the lulz.


"departed member". Pfftss. GM Citizen was as vile, petty and mean a troll as this board has ever seen. Richly deserving of every word, which for all it's subtle viciousness, also contained a degree of empathy.

"Best work" can = sparkling, brilliant prose, regardless of it's original intent, which definitely was not "just for the lulz".
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
User avatar
brainpanhandler
 
Posts: 4922
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Original RI quotes only

Postby JackRiddler » Mon May 07, 2018 11:38 am

Hey, thanks!
To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

Top Secret Wall St. Iraq? & more
User avatar
JackRiddler
 
Posts: 13092
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: New York City
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Original RI quotes only

Postby minime » Thu May 10, 2018 11:41 am

It's behavioral, gone organic. A group pathology. Self-reinforcing behavior in a closed environment. Left-hemisphere run amok. Victims of the ism/jism schism. No way out through an open door.
Rigorous intuition is radically inclusive.
User avatar
minime
 
Posts: 974
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:01 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Original RI quotes only

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu May 10, 2018 12:00 pm

Mods, I request that you delete this post of mine from one page back and all those that have followed it in this thread. I am responsible for starting this unfortunate mini-trend, and I regret it.

"Original RI Quotes only" was indeed designed to highlight the best writing on this board and not the worst.

Thanks in advance, and my apologies to all concerned for misusing the thread. I won't do it again.
User avatar
MacCruiskeen
 
Posts: 9243
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:47 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Original RI quotes only

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu May 10, 2018 12:04 pm

that would be great and I agree only if BS is deleted along with mine and Mac's

the worst is alway better in 5 words in another forum :)
trump administration’s zero-tolerance policy has overwhelmed Ursula children sleep in cages
lights never go off
The Navy plans to build a tent-jail for 47,000 immigrants in California.


TENDER AGE SHELTERS = INTERNMENT CAMPS

PURE EVIL
User avatar
seemslikeadream
 
Posts: 27291
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:28 pm
Location: into the black
Blog: View Blog (83)

Re: Original RI quotes only

Postby Elvis » Thu May 10, 2018 2:35 pm

Good show, my friends. :thumbsup
"Frankly, I don't think it's a good idea but the sums proposed are enormous."
User avatar
Elvis
 
Posts: 5047
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:24 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: RocketMan and 21 guests