Obama: send 15,000 more troops to Afghanistan

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Obama: send 15,000 more troops to Afghanistan

Postby Jeff » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:27 am

Obama favours U.S. troop surge in Afghanistan

PAUL KORING
From Thursday's Globe and Mail
October 22, 2008 at 7:55 PM EDT

WASHINGTON — Sounding presidential, Senator Barack Obama said Wednesday he would order a surge of U.S. troops – perhaps 15,000 or more – to Afghanistan as soon as he reached the White House.

“We're confronting an urgent crisis in Afghanistan,” Mr. Obama, the Democratic contender and now clear front-runner to replace George W. Bush, said Wednesday.

“It's time to heed the call … for more troops. That's why I'd send at least two or three additional brigades to Afghanistan,” he said in his most hawkish promise to date.

A U.S. army brigade includes about 5,000 soldiers along with tanks, armoured personnel carriers and helicopter gunships.

Seeking to deflect attacks that he is dangerously inexperienced in foreign policy, Mr. Obama huddled with a high-profile panel of experts before a news conference aimed at showcasing his command of global affairs.

“The terrorists who attacked us on 9/11 are still at large and plotting,” he said, echoing Mr. Bush's oft-repeated refrain.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... istan/home
Jeff
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Obama: send 15,000 more troops to Afghanistan

Postby nathan28 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:34 am

Globe & Mail wrote:“The terrorists who attacked us on 9/11 are still at large and plotting,” he said, echoing Mr. Bush's oft-repeated refrain.

That's funny, I thought they died in plane crashes.

Change we can believe in!
nathan28

Postby MacCruiskeen » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:42 am

globeandmail wrote:Sounding presidential ...

Well, that's one way of putting it.

“The terrorists who attacked us on 9/11 are still at large and plotting,” he said, echoing Mr. Bush's oft-repeated refrain.

Ah, right. "Sounding presidential " = "Sounding like Bush". Change we can believe in.

This doesn't augur well, especially so shortly after Biden's warnings that, essentially, we're all gonna hate Obama for his actions very soon.

au·dac·i·ty (ô-ds-t)
n. pl. au·dac·i·ties

1. Fearless daring; intrepidity.

2. Bold or insolent heedlessness of restraints, as of those imposed by prudence, propriety, or convention.

3. An act or instance of intrepidity or insolent heedlessness: warned the students than any audacities committed during the graduation ceremony would be punished.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

More proof....

Postby elpuma » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:54 am

Well.... More proof as to why the MIC have groomed Obama to be prez. "Don't wake us up from our deep slumber" is what I'm hearin' from the peeps...
elpuma

Postby elfismiles » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:27 am

Jeff wrote: Obama favours U.S. troop surge in Afghanistan

Why I'll Never Support Interventionist Warmonger Obama
http://rigorousintuition.ca/board/viewtopic.php?t=19978
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby 8bitagent » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:21 pm

[quote“The terrorists who attacked us on 9/11 are still at large and plotting,”[/quote]

Damn Obama, why you making it harder and harder for me to vote for you? LOL

I just saw crazy footage of some of the war going on in Afghanistan.
It almost seems like the US is killing more US and Afghan/coalition troops in friendly fire than "Taliban". Hell every day we here about the US killing innocents in Afghanistan and Pakistan with missiles(the US isnt even suppose to be in Pakistan)

Its SICKENING how you NEVER fricking see "US Out of Afghanistan" signs at anti war rallies. Yet were told every day that that war is way more chaotic than Iraq.

I 00% believe the US lied to go to both Afghanistan and Iraq, and had no business in either. And I dont give a crap if the liberals say "well what about the oppressive Taliban?"(what about Sharia law in Saudi Arabia?)
or those that say "those who did 9/11 came from there!"(actually the hijackers came from Saudi Arabia, where some of the financing came from)

The left needs to wake up, that Obama is not anti war; and when the elites stage a massive new 9/11(possibly nuclear), they will use Obama to implement the Orwellian police state that they could only dream of under Bush as well as total global war.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby BenDhyan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:44 am

Hmmm, it took twenty years to realize that it was a no win situation, military intelligence is indeed an oxymoron. Seriously though, I suspect there are a number of real developing high tension geopolitical hot spots where troops may be better employed. Ukraine - Russia, China - Taiwan. Israel - Iran.

Peace or no peace, US presence in Afghanistan to end by 20th anniversary of Sept. 11 attacks

by Jamie McIntyre, Senior Writer | | April 14, 2021 07:28 AM

AND SO IT WILL END: In the end, no one’s position changed except Joe Biden’s. The president, who as a candidate advocated keeping a small residual force in Afghanistan and argued against an arbitrary withdrawal date, came to embrace his predecessor's conclusion that it was time to extricate the United States from a no-win, endless, forever war.

So, all 2,500 or so remaining U.S. troops will leave between now and Sept. 11, the anniversary of the 2001 attack on America that triggered the war to topple the Taliban and one month shy of the 20th anniversary of the nation’s longest war ever. The five-month withdrawal timeframe is intended to give the 5,000 plus NATO troops and 13,000 U.S. contractors time to pack up and leave, too.

The first word of Biden’s decision came, not in a somber nationwide address to a war-weary country, but in a relatively brief conference call to a small group of reporters (Pentagon reporters were not invited), in which an official who did not want to be named laid out the president's thinking.

“We went to Afghanistan to deliver justice to those who attacked us on Sept. 11 and to disrupt terrorists seeking to use Afghanistan as a safe haven to attack the United States,” the senior administration official told reporters. “We believe we achieved that objective some years ago. We judge the threat against the homeland now emanating from Afghanistan to be at a level that we can address it without a persistent military footprint in the country and without remaining at war with the Taliban.”

The president will make the official announcement of his decision at 2:15 p.m. in the White House Treaty Room.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/peace-or-no-peace-us-presence-in-afghanistan-to-end-by-20th-anniversary-of-sept-11-attacks

On Edit: I just noted my 666 inauspicious post number.
Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby stickdog99 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:51 am

Fentanyl killed the opium star.
stickdog99

Postby thrulookingglass » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:45 pm

I'm sure only the volunteer US military forces will be leaving. The for hire mercenaries will double in number or more.
thrulookingglass

Postby BenDhyan » Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:42 am

It's all over bar the shouting!

And the irony is that the US had a big hand in the establishment of the Taliban as a formidable fighting force to resist the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. - https://www-pub.naz.edu/~aamghar6/History%20of%20the%20Taliban.htm

After Herat, Kandahar falls to Taliban; US, Britain rush troops to Afghanistan to evacuate nationals​

August 13, 2021

The Taliban seized more major cities yesterday as they raced to take full control of Afghanistan and inched closer to Kabul, with the United States and Britain deploying thousands of troops to evacuate their citizens from the capital.

The evacuation orders came as the Taliban took control of Kandahar -- the nation's second-biggest city -- in the insurgency's heartland, leaving only Kabul and pockets of other territories.

https://www.firstpost.com/world/aft...fghanistan-to-evacuate-nationals-9883381.html

Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby DrEvil » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:34 pm

So, who's next? They can't justify throwing another trillion bucks at the MIC without a good war to spend it on.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby thrulookingglass » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:42 pm

Haven't you been watching the news?! China. Tons of filthy communists there trying to steal our freedoms.

For all the news in Afghanistan I haven't heard one pundit trace this back to W's asinine policies. Or, truth be told, his efforts to deliver biblical prophecy through false flag operations and deceit.
thrulookingglass

Postby norton ash » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:03 am

stickdog99 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:51 am wrote:Fentanyl killed the opium star.

Brilliant. Yours?
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby stickdog99 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:42 am

norton ash » 16 Aug 2021 05:03 wrote:
stickdog99 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:51 am wrote:Fentanyl killed the opium star.

Brilliant. Yours?

Yes. Somehow I doubt that you will find that exact expression anywhere else.
stickdog99

Postby Handsome B. Wonderful » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:23 pm

DrEvil » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:34 am wrote:So, who's next? They can't justify throwing another trillion bucks at the MIC without a good war to spend it on.

I agree. The MIC needs to be kept fed with money and blood. I wonder if war is being fomented with Iran? China (over Taiwan)?
Born we are the same, within the silence, indifference be Thy name
Torn we walk alone, we sleep in silent shades
The grandeur fades, the meaning never known- 'Born' Nevermore
Handsome B. Wonderful

Next

Return to General Discussion