Mind Kontrol Themes on TeleVision

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Mind Kontrol Themes on TeleVision

Postby sw » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:46 pm

Denzel Washington....do I think he's MC? No! Small acting world?
sw

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Blue » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:52 pm

sw wrote:Denzel Washington....do I think he's MC? No! Small acting world?

Okay about Denzel, but huh?
Blue

Postby sw » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:26 pm

It's a small world. Including, the world of acting!
sw

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:03 am

Fringe recently had an excellent episode about an oil dig unearthing the virus that, according to fossil record, wiped out most mammals prior to an astroid strike hitting the Great Reset Button in the Sky.

Anyways, the virus was like a highly advanced form of rabies (or the fungus that controls ants) insofar as taking over the human subject's mind. The TV twist is that it compels them to see large groups of other humans, whereupon they go terminal, die of asphyxiation, and then spew virus-laden blood all over the crowd. Fringe is definitely a gross damn show, but I like it.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby LilyPatToo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:07 am

Fringe is just about my favorite show on TV at the moment. We just watched the (TiVoed) virus episode this evening, in fact. I don't think anyone here's linked to the PseudOccult Media blogs about the show, but he has some articles on Fringe that I found interesting. I should mention that this author seems (from the couple of articles I've read, at least) to accept uncritically some things about the field of mind control that many of us here at RI reject or question strongly--Cathy O'Brien is one example. I don't go nearly as far as he does in seeing indications of trauma-based mind control in media, but he makes some good points with which I can agree, too. There's one blog on the episode with all the butterflies Monarch in Fringe and one I especially liked on Olivia's MKULTRA childhood--It's all right, Olive. Everything's going to be okay. which was about ritual occult "twinning" that pairs 2 children psychically via shared trauma. At the end of that episode, you can hear Leonard Nimoy's voice in the video recording of Olivia as a terribly traumatized small child--which really creeped me out, since I loved his Spock and to hear a "trusted" voice coming from a program doctor...well, let's just say it was way too close to reality to be easily bearable.

LilyPat
LilyPatToo

Postby elfismiles » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:03 am

Yeah, I'm digging it. Haven't seen that fungus show yet wombat but yeah, it's a gross show. Like the episode where the people on the plain all melt.

I liked the "chupacabras on a plane" ep's scene where the aircraft goes down over a soccer field and into some woods in a way that immediately screamed "Flight 93".

And thanks for the links LPT. I'd forgotten about that blog.

Thanks SW. I really enjoyed Deja Vu. I'd like to see it again.
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby elfismiles » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:00 am

Oi! It's late and I need to go to bed.

But before I do... a couple of quick SPOILER dialog quotes from the final moments of the show:

Spoiler:EPISODE TITLE: "Jacksonville"

TV news announcer: Not a single casualty as hundreds miraculously escaped what federal authorities are calling an 'unscheduled controlled demolition' at the Brassen-Place hotel.

Olivia Dunham: Conspiracy nuts are going to have a field day.

OD's boss: You'd be surprised what you can make the general public believe.
elfismiles

Postby exojuridik » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:21 am

Fringe got me interested into the whole woo-fi genre of tv shows. I've just discovered this series that was popular back in the 90's called "The X-Files." and wow, I'm in the middle of season 2 and its amazing the degree to which Fringe is riffing on the same themes and episodes - compare flatworm dude from the x-files and scorpian boy from fringe. Indeed, Fringe seems to lift entire scenes from the X-Files. for example, the denoument of the episode where the chinese immigrants are being used as worm hosts is almost an exact reenactment of the scene in "I want to Believe" where Mulder is infliltrating the Mad Russian doctor's Frankenstein lab. And the whole emergent virii mind of last week's show resonates with a nunber of x-file creature features. Honestly, the similarities between the shows are uncanny. Its as though the creators of Fringe have consumed a bunch of flatworms which had been exposed to every x-files episode.

In any case, I give Fringe props for its near subliminal "shout out" to Korea's answer to woo-TV - IRIS.

And if you haven't caught the x-files, it is a worthwhile waste of time (at least on first viewing). Again, I'm only on season 2 but I'm already detecting some very strong parapolitical, alien conspiracy and mind-control themes at play. I'm actually shocked how overt the references are to real incidents/conspiracies - nowadays, these issues aren't brought up unless they are to be ridiculed. Its as though the top people at ATS were hired as story consultants. Indeed, after a couple years of marinating in the deep politic discussions always simmering here at RI, I feel very at home with the spooky story-twists being thrown at me by Mr. Carter. Given the overlapping zones of interest, I'm guessing that at least some of you are already familiar with this x-files show.
"Memory believes before knowing remembers. Believes longer than recollects, longer than knowing even wonders."
exojuridik

Postby elfismiles » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:42 am

Hi exoj.

Was your post text supposed to be in green?

Yes the x-files waspretty damn good.

My favorite ep is still Jose Chung's From Outer Space.

Fringe's first ep of season 2 has a congressional hearing member refer to fringe divisions X division predecessor.

- SMiles
elfismiles

Postby LilyPatToo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:08 pm

The X-Files was one of my all-time favorite TV shows--I don't think I ever missed an episode as long as Duchovny/Mulder was in it. The José Chung's "From Outer Space" story is probably my favorite episode too, elfismiles. It laid out the "mind control accessings disguised as alien abductions" idea beautifully. And I loved the ones that delved into the backgrounds of some of the main characters. I like Avatar so much that I keep a digital copy on my iPhone, to watch again when I'm stuck in traffic. That was about AD Skinner's past--lots of Mitch Pileggi and a very young and beautiful Amanda Tapping as a call girl he picks up in a bar. Then there was the unexpectedly funny, poignant life story of Cancer Man, Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man, who was a pulp author wannabe, of all things. Amazing series...and practically required reading for RIers.

LilyPat
LilyPatToo

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:07 pm

...symbolism in this latest episode is out of control -- daycare center in florida covered with monarch butterflies and a big Wizard of Oz mural turns out to be the mind control experiment center. There's a certain gritty realism to their approach that makes this stuff more jarring than usual in pop culture shows.

When Whedon did this in Buffy, it was more dark but less disturbing...not sure how to phrase it right. But, I was definitely spooked by "Jacksonville" (and relieved to have the main story arc back onstage after 5-6 filler stories in a row).
Wombaticus Rex

Postby exojuridik » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:00 am

elfismiles wrote:Hi exoj.

Was your post text supposed to be in green?

Yes the x-files waspretty damn good.

My favorite ep is still Jose Chung's From Outer Space.

Fringe's first ep of season 2 has a congressional hearing member refer to fringe divisions X division predecessor.

- SMiles

I actually never gotten around to watching X-Files 'till now. Sure, I've seen the movies and caught a few episodes now and again but I've never actually sat down and tried to follow the evolution of the story. What I enjoy about my late conversion is that the shows aren't just an introduction to these crazy ideas to me which means I can better appreciate how they decide to tweak the parapolitical narrative. The really amazing thing is the fact that this show doesn't seem dated outside the walkie-talkie cellular phones, 35 mb computers and the '94 model Ford Taurii. Extrapolating the 16 year differential from the 2nd season airing would put us back to the era of Mork&Mindy, The Ropers and Alice - shows that became ancient before Reagan became president.
"Memory believes before knowing remembers. Believes longer than recollects, longer than knowing even wonders."
exojuridik

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:01 am

LilyPatToo wrote:The X-Files was one of my all-time favorite TV shows--I don't think I ever missed an episode as long as Duchovny/Mulder was in it. The José Chung's "From Outer Space" story is probably my favorite episode too, elfismiles. It laid out the "mind control accessings disguised as alien abductions" idea beautifully.

LilyPat

Thats one of my favorite episodes ever, tho I wasn't aware of the bold relevance at the time. I was aware of some MILAB stuff, but not like what I have learned since that episode was on telly.

I love the scene where the dude in the alien suit is sitting there saying "this is not happening" over and over again. Smoking a durrie. I remember enjoying the Cognitive Dissonance (in Capitals) he must have been feeling.

Before I ever watched the X files I had this shroom trip where alot of x files images and motifs (ie the scenes were almost exactly the same - angles lighting all that,) appeared among a multitude of other stuff.

When that episode came on someone who was there when I was tripping said I was saying exactly the same thing sitting and smoking exactly the same way at one point. I don't remember that bit tho.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Hammer of Los » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:14 pm

Joe 90.

Big RAT?

World Intelligence Network?

Child assassins?

Multiple personalities?

Boy oh boy when Joe comes out of the BIG RAT do his eyes look glazed over;

I loved this show when I was young.

I used to pretend I was Joe.

Nowadays I think; only ninety?

I split infinitely.

My eyes glaze over just like Joe's.

Anyone care to do the research on Gerry and Sylvia?

I bet there's a thread on them somewhere else.

Hammer of Los

Postby Project Willow » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:23 pm

Woah, woah, ewwwwwwwww, creeepy-weeepy, ewwwwww!

Triggery.

This was a show? In the 60's? How bizarro!

Everything is secret and denied.

Nothing is secret and denied.

*shudders*
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion