Neither
57%

Total votes : 28

Anarcho-Primitivism or Transhumanism?

Postby Truth4Youth » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:42 pm

Truth4Youth

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby slomo » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:04 pm

False dichotomy... but if forced to choose between the two, I'd prefer the former to the latter. Ultimately, it may be totally recursive (i.e., we are living in a simulation, a fact that our "primitive" forbears were aware of in their own way) but I don't have any faith that the limited teratoid consciousness of today's human technic can lead to anything approximating nirvana.
slomo

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:08 pm

Transhumanism.

As an anarcho, I have to go against what the obvious skew will be on this board. ;)

JackRiddler

Postby slomo » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:15 pm

JackRiddler wrote:.

Transhumanism.

As an anarcho, I have to go against what the obvious skew will be on this board. ;)

:dancingbroccoli: :dancingbroccoli: :dancingbroccoli:
slomo

Postby barracuda » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:30 pm

Unsurprisingly, the Primitives seem to have a slightly better grasp of web usability and design then the Transhumanists, but both home pages are looking decidedly circa 2003. But let's face it, the Trannies would wipe out the Primitives in a war of cultures, as has been demonstrated time and again, though the Primmies could probably kick ass in the UFC. I'll go with the "neither" group, though. I enjoy being primitive enough to rock out with gusto, but wired enough to access dlisted.com.

I don't really require enlightenment. Whatever will stop the fucking wars is what I favor. That would be singularity enough for me.
The most dangerous traps are the ones you set for yourself. - Phillip Marlowe
barracuda

Postby American Dream » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:11 pm

Neither and/or both?

How 'bout one from Column A and two from Column B?
American Dream

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:25 pm

Transprimitivist. Intellectually, anyway.

Anarcho-humanist when the chips are down, I suppose.

Neither at heart.
AhabsOtherLeg

Postby monster » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:32 pm

Transhumanism. Although I'd wait for version 2.0 before filling my body with nanomachines.
"I’ve just completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd from 1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline."
monster

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:49 pm

Really, really, really strained binary trap. Absurd question.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby kristinerosemary » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:51 pm

well huh. as a lifelong sympathizer of the anarcho cynicalists, i have to guess that both choices are too retro even to read about, and since we could not start an anarchist society on here because we would not even be able to agree on a time or a meeting place, everyone who thinks they are qualified to be an anarchist could go read john sayles's classic short story, 'at the anarchists' convention,' in which everyone is about 90 years old and every time some old guy walks in another even older guy says, 'what's he doing here! he's no anarchist!' if that aint cynicalist i dont know what is. what? did someone say syndicalist? no. not them. they're extinct.
kristinerosemary

Postby JackRiddler » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:23 pm

How about straight-up unvarnished mass deathwish?

JackRiddler

Postby freemason9 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:52 pm

slomo wrote:False dichotomy... but if forced to choose between the two, I'd prefer the former to the latter. Ultimately, it may be totally recursive (i.e., we are living in a simulation, a fact that our "primitive" forbears were aware of in their own way) but I don't have any faith that the limited teratoid consciousness of today's human technic can lead to anything approximating nirvana.

Huh? Can you say that in English, please?
freemason9

Postby slomo » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:44 am

freemason9 wrote:
slomo wrote:False dichotomy... but if forced to choose between the two, I'd prefer the former to the latter. Ultimately, it may be totally recursive (i.e., we are living in a simulation, a fact that our "primitive" forbears were aware of in their own way) but I don't have any faith that the limited teratoid consciousness of today's human technic can lead to anything approximating nirvana.

Sure: transhumanism is based up on the totally insane idea that 21st Century human beings have any fucking clue what we're doing to ourselves, our environment, and the cosmos in general. We can't even manage the world we actually live in, let alone create new ones that match it in richness and complexity (sorry, English: virtual reality is pretty fucking boring compared to the real world). Anarcho-primitivism, for all of its romantic idealism (sorry, English again: crunchy-granola-hippy-dippiness), is at least based on something that actually worked for 100s of 1000s of years.

Better?
slomo

Postby Perelandra » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:53 am

slomo wrote:
freemason9 wrote:

Sure: transhumanism is based up on the totally insane idea that 21st Century human beings have any fucking clue what we're doing to ourselves, our environment, and the cosmos in general. We can't even manage the world we actually live in, let alone create new ones that match it in richness and complexity (sorry, English: virtual reality is pretty fucking boring compared to the real world). Anarcho-primitivism, for all of its romantic idealism (sorry, English again: crunchy-granola-hippy-dippiness), is at least based on something that actually worked for 100s of 1000s of years.

Better?
Nicely put, both times. You're one of those butterfly people, aren't you? :D
Perelandra

Postby slomo » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:08 am

Perelandra wrote:Nicely put, both times. You're one of those butterfly people, aren't you? :D

Thanks... I get crotchety when people blame me for their own vocabulary deficits. Although I'll admit that threw in "teratoid" because it's my new favorite word :D, it really applies to so much that goes on these days.

Butterfly people? You mean like complexity theory? Kinda... My professional work is on the boundary of biology and mathematics, but I actually have little faith in the ability of math to solve our real problems. Complexity theory is valuable only in its ability to prove that we don't really understand shit.
slomo

Next

Return to General Discussion