Google is watching

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Google is watching

Postby marmot » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:10 pm

Google is watching <Boston Globe link>

By Peter Funt
February 9, 2009

"THERE was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment . . . It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time."

That quote from George Orwell's "1984" becomes increasingly prescient in light of developments in eavesdropping, pioneered by Google. Recently the company launched a service called Latitude, which allows consenting users to monitor each other's whereabouts. It's the company's latest snooping tool, the most controversial being the Street Views photographic mapping service.

When I tried Street Views by entering my address, I was surprised to see that with a single click a truly Orwellian image popped onto the screen: my house, my car, the newspaper in the driveway. I could zoom in for a clear view of the open window on the second floor and the handy drain pipe that potential burglars might use to reach that window when no one was home.

Google has been working on Street Views for nearly two years, an incredibly tedious process. As remarkable as the computer results are, they still require hired motorists, known as GeoImmersive Data Producers, to drive up and down every street using 11 roof-mounted cameras to snap 360-degree images.

Boston was among the first cities captured by Street Views, but much of Massachusetts remains unphotographed. For example, a two-hour drive from a friend's house in Lenox to my daughter's college in Norton yields only two photos: the entrance to the Mass. Pike and, 96 miles later, the exit to I-495.

But when Street Views does come to a community, it tends to spark great curiosity and raging debate about the propriety of Google's remarkable feat. To some, it is an outrageous invasion of privacy - a true step toward the world Orwell envisioned. To others, including Google management, it is simply the latest beneficial - and commercially valuable - use of modern technology.

After arguing that Street Views showed nothing more than could be seen by anyone traveling on public property, Google agreed to blur all identifiable faces and license plates. But by conceding that much, Google opens the door to demands that, say, doors should be blurred, and for that matter upstairs windows and drain pipes.

Of course, it would be naive to think that Big Brother hasn't been watching for some time. From the all-too-obvious ceiling cameras in convenience stores to the government's exotic keyhole satellites, we're all photographed more often than we might care to believe.

When US Airways Flight 1549 went down unexpectedly in the Hudson River - not a likely spot for routine surveillance - hidden cameras on shore were able to capture it from several angles.

The federal government has already warned Google not to photograph military installations. Then there's North Oaks, Minn., whose city council contacted Google on behalf of its 4,500 residents, demanding that all photos taken within its borders be deleted.

Existing law makes distinctions between public property and private property; between public figures and private individuals. Yet in the Google Universe, these boundaries become fuzzy.

What if I created a reality show for which I stationed a TV crew on the public street outside your house, and spent weeks photographing your every move? What if I edited the footage to make the funniest three minutes - including the time you backed the car over the tulips, and the time you chased the neighbor's cat and slipped? And what if, unlike "Candid Camera," the show my father Allen Funt invented in 1948, I televised it without your permission?

Or, what if I paid a team of Data Producers to go through thousands of Street Views, including the one with your home, looking for driveways in need of repair, then sold the list to a paving company?

With each technological breakthrough, some laws will require reexamination. So will our definition of privacy.

As someone who, like my father, devoted many years to photographing unsuspecting people, I can report that the latest developments give me pause. It's one thing to have a brief, once-in-a-lifetime encounter with a hidden camera. It's another thing to live, as Orwell put it, "in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, every movement scrutinized."

Peter Funt is a writer and TV host.
marmot

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby marmot » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:15 pm

one commenter wrote:Hey, kids! Building the new surveillance state is cool! Latitude? Who would sign up for this service? Narcissists who think people should be interested in their every move? Overprotective parents who forget (or remember) their own youth, going for a joy ride after having told the folks they were going bowling. Or maybe just going "bowling." Amnesiacs who need to spy on themselves because they get lost so frequently and so need a constant reminder of their coordinates? This isn't the society I signed up for.
by ItsMonkTime-1 February 09, 11:14 AM
marmot

Postby OP ED » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:33 pm

irrelevant. i could already see my house from here.
OP ED

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:33 am

We don't give a fuck tho.

Let google watch.

On the plus side, google street view, and google earth can be used for analysis of the places that were burnt out in melb on the weekend. It might seem morbid, but a record of the houses before and after the fires will help people learn what factors were involved. Like how close the houses were to bushland, aspect, position re hills and bush etc etc

If google earth is years old, then the cops have had the ability to peer at high resolution into my backyard for years, and my neighbours backyard.

And the people in the next valley who they busted last week, but they needed the chopper to find the weed. If the satellites were so effective no one would be growing anything.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Ben D » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:39 am

Joe Hillshoist wrote:And the people in the next valley who they busted last week, but they needed the chopper to find the weed. If the satellites were so effective no one would be growing anything.

Joe, the tech has been around for along time to do this stuff, but the resolution, definition, and software to properly discriminate gets better all the time.

I actually worked for the Australian Government's ACRES (Australian Centre for Remote Sensing) at Alice Springs during the eighties, which worked with Landsat spacecraft at 15 meter resolution. At the time, the Federal Police were a customer and the word was that the humble tomato plant had a very similar infrared 'signature' to weed and this was a problem. Also by growing weed under a canopy of tree foliage, or amongst other foliage with a contrasting 'signature' will reduce the effectiveness of correct identification.

Also satellite data is not as timely as jounalistic hype make out when doing stories on google earth and the like. it takes about 2 weeks to get full coverage of Australia, and if there is cloud cover over the target area, another 2 week wait, etc..
In my experience, google earth coverage of the street where I live in Brisbane only gets updated about once every couple of years.
Ben D

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:38 am

The rumour is banana trees have a very similar signature. Lantana probably does too.

I have seen the chopper fly over a patch with ten 15 foot plants in it and not notice. If they could't see it I dunno what would.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby Penguin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:00 am

Just wait for the artificial chopper mounted copper nose.
Sheeeiiitt.
Penguin

Postby vigilant » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:05 am

Joe Hillshoist wrote:We don't give a fuck tho.

Let google watch.

On the plus side, google street view, and google earth can be used for analysis of the places that were burnt out in melb on the weekend. It might seem morbid, but a record of the houses before and after the fires will help people learn what factors were involved. Like how close the houses were to bushland, aspect, position re hills and bush etc etc

If google earth is years old, then the cops have had the ability to peer at high resolution into my backyard for years, and my neighbours backyard.

And the people in the next valley who they busted last week, but they needed the chopper to find the weed. If the satellites were so effective no one would be growing anything.

I sincerely hate that for your neighbors, but for some reason that made me laugh out loud. Perhaps it was slipped in so unexpectedly.

How goes it in hot Australia? Your folks and you ok? I have some pics of a little Koala that broke into some peoples house looking for relief that I intend to post to the images thread. Little feller looks beat.......
The whole world is a stage...will somebody turn the lights on please?....I have to go bang my head against the wall for a while and assimilate....
vigilant

Postby Nordic » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:12 am

Recently, while hunting for a new house to rent, I used "street view" a great deal. It was handy. At the same time, it's really kind of creepy.

I then went and revisited many places where I lived as a child, which was really pretty weird.

The junior high where I was tormented and where I was emotionally scarred for life has been destroyed. It's simply gone, just a slab where it used to be, the entire city block vacant and empty.

Satisfying ...

This is just the beginning. In another ten years god only knows where this will have led.
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:07 am

Penguin wrote:Just wait for the artificial chopper mounted copper nose.
Sheeeiiitt.

I knew a guy who trained a dog to sniff p[ot and drove around stealing peoples weed. Not smart.

[quote="vigilant]How goes it in hot Australia? Your folks and you ok? I have some pics of a little Koala that broke into some peoples house looking for relief that I intend to post to the images thread. Little feller looks beat.......[/quote]

Yeah it was a bastard for my neighbours. I'm ok. Where I am is miles from any of the trouble. Its the rest of the east coast thats burning or drowning.

I was looking at a friends place in the fire area on google earth today. I can't believe how lucky he was. If the wind change had been 90 deg in the opposite firection he would have been fucked. At least the disasters are bringing the community together, some flood victims in FNQ are donating their relief money to the bushfire victim. Thats pretty open hearted.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby IanEye » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:32 am

When it's least expected - you're elected. You're the star today
Smile! You're on Candid Camera!

With a hocus-pocus - you're in focus. It's your lucky day

It's fun to laugh at yourself. It's a tonic, tried and true.
It's fun to laugh at yourself as other people do.

How's your sense of humor? There's a rumor: Laughter's on its way.

- - -

Alan Funt's son is freaked out by Google?

What's next, Monty Hall's nephew annoyed by eBay?
IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Return to General Discussion