Hunter S. Thompson up to some weird shit?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Hunter S. Thompson up to some weird shit?

Postby RocketMan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:02 am

Deleted scene from the film Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas

I was just browsing through someone's list of deleted scenes that maybe would have merited inclusion in the finished film and I came across this scene. And I remember feeling like someone walked over my grave when reading this passage in the book, after having dipped my brain in Rigorous Intuition, naturally. If I hadn't, the whole deal wouldn't have had such ominous undertones of extreme danger, to paraphrase Mr. Thompson himself.

So what's the deal with Thompson? Counter-culture hero or covert enabler of satanic elites? And did he commit suicide or was he suicided? And why does controlled demolition of WTC figure in his final days?

:scaredhide:
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby American Dream » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:19 am

Wasn't Hunter S. Thompson the one who brought the Hell's Angels to meet the Merry Pranksters, thus developing the infrastructure of one of the biggest LSD distribution networks of that time?

He definitely spoke in Fear and Loathing about the high to be had from taking adrenochrome derived from human adrenals, which I think he said he got from bikers...

And of course there's Rusty Franklin's allegation that Thompson was involved with child-snuff films as part of the Franklin Conspiracy.
American Dream

Re: Hunter S. Thompson up to some weird shit?

Postby xsicbastardx » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:52 am

RocketMan wrote:Deleted scene from the film Fear And Loathing in Las Vegas

I was just browsing through someone's list of deleted scenes that maybe would have merited inclusion in the finished film and I came across this scene. And I remember feeling like someone walked over my grave when reading this passage in the book, after having dipped my brain in Rigorous Intuition, naturally. If I hadn't, the whole deal wouldn't have had such ominous undertones of extreme danger, to paraphrase Mr. Thompson himself.

So what's the deal with Thompson? Counter-culture hero or covert enabler of satanic elites? And did he commit suicide or was he suicided? And why does controlled demolition of WTC figure in his final days?

:scaredhide:

from my understanding he was writing a paper about CD and the twin towers before he was murdered....yes murdered. Now way in fucking hell THAT man killed himself.
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

xsicbastardx

Postby nathan28 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:33 am

American Dream wrote:Wasn't Hunter S. Thompson the one who brought the Hell's Angels to meet the Merry Pranksters, thus developing the infrastructure of one of the biggest LSD distribution networks of that time?

He definitely spoke in Fear and Loathing about the high to be had from taking adrenochrome derived from human adrenals, which I think he said he got from bikers...

And of course there's Rusty Franklin's allegation that Thompson was involved with child-snuff films as part of the Franklin Conspiracy.

we've been through this before. lurk moar.

additionally adrenochrome can't get you high and doesn't come from the human pineal gland, which is the actual line Thompson gave you. Go to a health food store and pick up a bottle of 7-keto-DHEA and eat a fistful and tell us if you get high, or just sweat a whole lot and feel real tired later.
„MAN MUSS BEFUERCHTEN, DASS DAS GANZE IN GOTTES HAND IST"

THE JEERLEADER
nathan28

Postby American Dream » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:53 am

I'm not saying adrenochrome does get you high, but I do think that Thompson making allusions to human-sacrificing weirdos is interesting.

As to the Franklin Conspiracy allegations, to my understanding they were made by one person and never corroborated elsewhere...

With the Hell's Angel drug network, I do believe that the genesis of the LSD connection is indeed directly tied to Hunter S. Thompson.

And even though he is revered for his edgy and transgressive style, I think there is little doubt that he died deeply enslaved to drug addiction, and indeed was in such a state for many years prior to his death...
American Dream

Postby RocketMan » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:18 am

I thought adenochrome was an invention of Hunter S. Thompson and not a real human secretion at all... Ditto American Dream, ie. I find the allusions to Manson and human sacrifice unsettling in that they somehow have a feeling of some level of reality to them. And that Hunter S. Thompson is using gonzo weirdness as a way to vent that stuff. Or maybe it's just my RI addled paradigm that needs some calibration.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby nathan28 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:54 am

RocketMan wrote:I thought adenochrome was an invention of Hunter S. Thompson and not a real human secretion at all... Ditto American Dream, ie. I find the allusions to Manson and human sacrifice unsettling in that they somehow have a feeling of some level of reality to them. And that Hunter S. Thompson is using gonzo weirdness as a way to vent that stuff. Or maybe it's just my RI addled paradigm that needs some calibration.

Adrenochrome is a real thing. Use Erowid or wikipedia. It has no CNS effect. It won't get you high and it doesn't come from pineal glands. The thing about human sacrifice is bullshit at least w/r/t adrenochrome. Which implies it is bullshit, generally.

Right now you have to buy the Toronto Globe & Mail article that cause a lot of problems:

Link HERE

Alexander Pope in a prose convertible
PAUL WILLIAM ROBERTS

Hunter telephoned me on Feb. 19, the night before his death. He sounded scared. It wasn't always easy to understand what he said, particularly over the phone, he mumbled, yet when there was something he really wanted you to understand, you did. He'd been working on a story about the World Trade Center attacks and had stumbled across what he felt was hard evidence showing the towers had been brought down not by the airplanes that flew into them but by explosive charges set off in their foundations. Now he thought someone was out to stop him publishing it: "They're gonna make it look like suicide," he said. "I know how these bastards think . . ."

I remember reading the full article when it was published. The author states that he made it up in the very next sentence.

See why it's a good idea to double-check what you read on Prison Planet? To follow up on stories about marines with bomb-making supplies that turn out to be model rocket engines?

Scroll to the bottom of History Commons here (link)

“Hunter telephoned me on Feb. 19, the night before his death,” the friend says. “He sounded scared.… He’d been working on a story about the World Trade Center attacks and had stumbled across what he felt was hard evidence showing the towers had been brought down not by the airplanes that flew into them but by explosive charges set off in their foundations. Now he thought someone was out to stop him publishing it: ‘They’re gonna make it look like suicide,’ he said.” The friend continues: “That’s how I imagine a tribute to Hunter S. Thompson should begin. He was indeed working on such a story, but it wasn’t what killed him.”

Thompson and "venting" is something of an understatement. He was known to take potshots at John Denver's house, e.g.

And guess what? I've known totally normal people to joke about human sacrifice, or Satan, or both. I'm not saying Thompson didn't do it, or wasn't compromised or an agent or whatever. Considering that John Lily got gov't money to go totally apeshit in experiments that really yielded very little, and considering that "apeshit" is an understatement, it's totally possible. I'm just saying the case lacks evidence untainted by the "zOMG!!1!" factor.

Since this will turn into a CD thread thanks to that stuff above, and I really don't have much time today, this is the last comment I'll make on it.
„MAN MUSS BEFUERCHTEN, DASS DAS GANZE IN GOTTES HAND IST"

THE JEERLEADER
nathan28

Postby FreeLancer » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:23 pm

It's interesting to note that-- according to his widow-- the suicide did not take place exactly as it was reported. She seemed to imply that something un-kosher went down in the official report. She spoke about this in an interview a while back, but it was pretty cryptic and I never heard anything more about it. She did say that she believes it was suicide.
FreeLancer

Postby Canadian_watcher » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:48 pm

when I read Thompson's last book, all I could think was "liar." full of shit

does anyone here (admittedly) watch Survivor? I do. I love it.
There's a contestant on there right now who reminds me of how I perceive Hunter Thompson... Coach. What a piece of work. NO one will ever figure Thompsom out. Forget about it. He's made a career and legacy out of being way way way way out there.
Canadian_watcher

Postby OP ED » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:33 pm

nathan28 wrote:
American Dream wrote:Wasn't Hunter S. Thompson the one who brought the Hell's Angels to meet the Merry Pranksters, thus developing the infrastructure of one of the biggest LSD distribution networks of that time?

we've been through this before. lurk moar.

additionally adrenochrome can't get you high and doesn't come from the human pineal gland, which is the actual line Thompson gave you. Go to a health food store and pick up a bottle of 7-keto-DHEA and eat a fistful and tell us if you get high, or just sweat a whole lot and feel real tired later.

thank you.
OP ED

Postby FreeLancer » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:46 pm

Canadian_watcher wrote:when I read Thompson's last book, all I could think was "liar." full of shit

There's a contestant on there right now who reminds me of how I perceive Hunter Thompson... Coach. What a piece of work. NO one will ever figure Thompsom out. Forget about it. He's made a career and legacy out of being way way way way out there.

Personally, I think he made a career and legacy out of being one shit-hot writer. I think there's a difference between being a "liar" and being a "creative" writer. Thompson's Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 was described as the most accurate and least factual account of the campaign. I think that purty much sums him up. Or as Faulkner once said to a reporter, "You're interested in the facts, I'm interested in the truth.
FreeLancer

Postby SonicG » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:01 am

Canadian_watcher wrote:when I read Thompson's last book, all I could think was "liar." full of shit

I dunno, I've read both of his book of letters- quite thick tomes- and it seems easy to get pretty inside his head. He was very much a Kennedy Democrat and am not sure what you mean by "way x4 out there".
"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby Fat Lady Singing » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:01 am

Hi CW -- yeah, I'll admit it. I watch Survivor. Someone will have to come revoke my Hipster ID Card, I guess. Anyway, I wouldn't have made the comparison, but I guess I can see what you mean. Coach definitely believes his own legend. Did Thompson? I don't know. I would hope not.

As for the adrenochrome issue... I have no doubt that in reality it does not get you high, but perhaps Thompson believed that it did, and, since I'd bet he did it in combination with some other more effective substances, it may have seemed that way to him.
Fat Lady Singing

Re: Hunter S. Thompson up to some weird shit?

Postby Joao » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:36 pm

HST's signature in the guestbook of San Francisco's iconic and recently-closed Cafe Tosca.
Joao

Re:

Postby JackRiddler » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:21 pm

American Dream » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:19 am wrote:He definitely spoke in Fear and Loathing about the high to be had from taking adrenochrome derived from human adrenals, which I think he said he got from bikers...

No. No. No.

This was the part in which he and his "attorney" posed as cops attending a thoroughly paranoid and repulsive police convention at the height of Nixon's war on drugs. As he writes it, they were (of course) high the whole time and lampooned the proceedings by talking shit about how maniacs were murdering people in their town to get the pineal glands from which they could get the greatest high known to man, etc.
We meet at the borders of our being, we dream something of each others reality. - Harvey of R.I.

To Justice my maker from on high did incline:
I am by virtue of its might divine,
The highest Wisdom and the first Love.

TopSecret WallSt. Iraq & more
JackRiddler

Next

Return to General Discussion