I Have a DreamWorks

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

I Have a DreamWorks

Postby streeb » Wed May 20, 2009 2:07 am

Martin Luther King Jr. bio set for bigscreen
Spielberg will produce DreamWorks pic

By TATIANA SIEGEL

DreamWorks has acquired the life rights to Martin Luther King Jr. and is bringing a biopic on the slain civil rights leader to the bigscreen.

Steven Spielberg, Suzanne de Passe and Madison Jones will produce.

King, who was assassinated in 1968 in Memphis at the age of 39, copyrighted his speeches, books and famous works during his lifetime. The DreamWorks project marks the first film to be authorized by King's estate and gives the producers the right to utilize King's intellectual property -- including his famous "I Have a Dream" speech delivered during the 1963 March on Washington -- to create the definitive portrait of his life.

"We are all honored that the King Estate is giving us the opportunity to tell the story of these defining, historic events," Spielberg said. "It is our hope that the creative power of film and the impact of Dr. King's life can combine to present a story of undeniable power that we can all be proud of."

A King film has been a longtime dream for Spielberg and DreamWorks CEO and co-chairman Stacey Snider, who has been working feverishly on acquiring the rights since exiting Paramount Pictures and setting up a solo enterprise.

King's son Dexter, who is chairman and CEO of the King Estate, has been embroiled in a legal tussle with his siblings Bernice King and Martin Luther King III over who controls the personal papers of their late mother, Coretta Scott King, among other things.

King, who was the youngest person to receive the Nobel Peace Prize for his work to end racial segregation and discrimination, was posthumously awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1977 and the Congressional Gold Medal in 2004.

"In trying to tackle such an ambitious project, the question we had to ask ourselves is, 'Why now?' " Snider said. "The answer lies in MLK's own words: 'All progress is precarious.' With every step forward, new obstacles emerge and we must never forget that his life and his teachings continue to challenge us every day to stand up to hatred and inequality."

De Passe was an executive producer on the miniseries "Lonesome Dove."

Jones has been a central figure in developing and managing the intellectual property of King. He also exec produced "King: Montgomery to Memphis" for CNN and "Assassinated: Bobby Kennedy & Martin Luther King, Jr." for TBS.

Jones and de Passe co-produced the 2009 Commander in Chief's Inaugural Ball.

Link

More --

Two of Martin Luther King Jr.'s children oppose film deal

6 hours ago

ATLANTA — DreamWorks Studios plans to tell Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.'s story on the big screen in a film to be co-produced by Steven Spielberg, the studio announced Tuesday.

The studio describes it as a monumental project - but two of King's children threatened legal action over the film deal because it was brokered without their blessing.

Dreamworks touted the project in a press release as the first theatrical motion picture authorized by the estate using King's intellectual property, including copyrighted speeches and other works, as the basis for the film.

Dexter King, one of the late civil rights leader's sons, said in a press release that he hoped the movie would "be the definitive film" on his father's legacy. Two other King siblings - Bernice King and Martin Luther King III - said they oppose the deal, which they say was brokered by Dexter without their input.

Dexter is the chairman and chief executive officer of King, Inc.

"This is a deal that Mr. Spielberg and his people ... have entered into believing that they have the blessing of The King Estate. They don't have the blessings of Bernice and Martin King," Bernice King told The Associated Press in a telephone interview on Tuesday after finding out about the deal in an e-mail from Dexter King.

A spokesman for Dexter King did not immediately return a phone call Tuesday afternoon.

The three siblings have been involved in several legal disputes regarding their parents' intellectual property in the past year. Bernice King and Martin Luther King III have accused their brother of tarnishing their parents' legacy with his business decisions, and say he has been operating The King Estate for years without their input.

Martin Luther King III said the matter was typical of an ongoing pattern of exclusion.

"It's not that we are against a film," he said. "It's very interesting to me that a company would engage in a business arrangement knowing that there's severe controversy around many issues pertaining to the estate of Martin Luther King Jr."

DreamWorks spokeswoman Kristin Stark declined to say how much the deal is worth. It is not clear when the movie might be made. Stark said she did not believe the siblings' legal differences would affect the project.

Although several movies about King's life have been televised, the 1964 Nobel Peace Prize winner has only been on the silver screen once. The documentary, "King: A Filmed Record ... Montgomery to Memphis," was shown once in theatres on March 24, 1970, and featured commentary from Harry Belafonte, Sidney Poitier, Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward and Ruby Dee, among others.

Film and television producer Suzanne de Passe and Madison Jones, a longtime friend of Dexter King who has handled intellectual property issues for the estate for several years, are also listed as producers on the project.

Bernice King said Jones also does not represent her and Martin.

"He has always represented Dexter," she said. "This is about Dexter and Phil and their empire."

In March, Dexter King brokered an intellectual property deal with EMI Music Publishing for his father's words and image. Last month, Bernice King and Martin Luther King III took issue with an $800,000 licensing deal their brother struck with the foundation tasked with building a memorial to their father on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.

The siblings are still struggling to settle three lawsuits involving their parents' estates, including one attempting to force Dexter King to open the books of their father's estate. Another would determine who should control Coretta Scott King's personal items - some of which were at the centre of a $1.4-million book deal about their mother's life that fell apart last year amid the legal wrangling.

Link
streeb

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Hugh Manatee Wins » Wed May 20, 2009 2:19 am

I'm going to throw up.

Steven CIA Spielberg getting his bloody USG psyops mitts on MLK?

That's even worse than Jane CIA Mayer getting a Ridenhour Prize and desecrating the whistleblowers of My Lai.

The Pentagon badly needs those African Americans in the economic draft.
CIA runs mainstream media since WWII:
news rooms, movies/TV, publishing
Disney is CIA for kidz!
Hugh Manatee Wins

Postby RomanyX » Wed May 20, 2009 3:41 am

Ugh. I'm with you on this one, Hugh.
Oh Perfect Masters,
They thrive on disasters;
They all look so harmless
'Til they find their way up there...
- Brian Eno, Dead Finks Don't Talk
RomanyX

Postby Penguin » Wed May 20, 2009 3:53 am

Wonder if it will have muscular, sexy black panthers, nice car chases and a few good firefights...
Penguin

Postby lightningBugout » Wed May 20, 2009 4:02 am

Reading this literally made my stomach turn.
"What's robbing a bank compared with founding a bank?" Bertolt Brecht
lightningBugout

Postby 8bitagent » Wed May 20, 2009 4:53 am

Given the King family believes the US government killed MLK, I wonder if theyre just going to have the "James Early Ray Done It" piece?
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby RocketMan » Wed May 20, 2009 8:28 am

Oliver Stone should have made this when he still had balls.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

Postby Fresno_Layshaft » Wed May 20, 2009 8:32 am

Ughh Spielberg? Awful filmmaker. Jaws, Raiders, Close Encounters, some truly crappy flicks. Why do they let an amatuer like him near an important project like this? CIA all the way.
Fresno_Layshaft

Postby RocketMan » Wed May 20, 2009 8:54 am

Ughh Spielberg? Awful filmmaker. Jaws, Raiders, Close Encounters, some truly crappy flicks. Why do they let an amatuer like him near an important project like this? CIA all the way.

You do realize that there's a difference between mastering the technique of filmmaking, as Spielberg undoubtedly does, and having the moral fortitude to tackle murky parapolitical issues truthfully?
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

The Colored Peep Hole

Postby IanEye » Wed May 20, 2009 9:26 am

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby MinM » Wed May 20, 2009 12:58 pm

RocketMan wrote:

You do realize that there's a difference between mastering the technique of filmmaking, as Spielberg undoubtedly does, and having the moral fortitude to tackle murky parapolitical issues truthfully?

That's basically the point Jim DiEugenio makes at the 1-hour 19-minute mark in the podcast linked below. The "Talents" like Spielberg and Lucas, through brain-addling* special effects movies (i.e., Jaws, Raiders, Close Encounters...), signaled the end of a golden era (1964-1975) in Hollywood:

http://www.blackopradio.com/pod/black408b.mp3

http://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board/v ... hp?t=22905

*By using the charitable term brain-addling... I avoid getting bogged down in the psyop angle;o)
Earth-704509
MinM

Postby JackRiddler » Wed May 20, 2009 2:22 pm

MinM wrote:The "Talents" like Spielberg and Lucas, through brain-addling* special effects movies (i.e., Jaws, Raiders, Close Encounters...), signaled the end of a golden era (1964-1975) in Hollywood:

Yes. I recommend the book Easy Riders, Raging Bulls as a history of the only true Golden Age of Hollywood, which happened when filmmakers realized they could make what they wanted as the industry emerged from the 30s to 50s code restrictions and was hit by inspirations from the French New Wave, Cassavetes and "auteur theory." The technology, the finance models and the general sensibility had advanced to the point where more freedom was possible, and weirdly enough the audience was presumed to be sophisticated and adult.

You can view the denouement as an economic inevitability. Someone was going to come up with the wide-release blockbuster model sooner or later and transform Hollywood film-making utterly, making it near-impossible for the former norm of having films open in a few theaters and cities, build momentum from word of mouth and critics, and proceed to success. The executors of the model turned out to be Spielberg and Lucas in the period from Jaws/Close Encounters to Starwars, but ironically the stage was set by Coppola and the until-then unprecedented strategy pursued in distributing The Godfather by opening in several hundred theaters within a couple of weeks.

Everyone at the time thought this was crazy, and nowadays "Wolverine: It's Cool to Knife Your Enemies" and "Harry Potter: Eternal Triumph of Voldemart" open on 3000 screens in the US and in all countries within a day or three, and the distributors are experimenting with simultaneous DVD release models.

(Not to mention "Tyler Perry's Art House Movie IV" and "I Drink Your Blood All Summer Long" and "Aliens: Vagina Dentata" and "Spiderman Miscalculates the Radius of His Parabola: Splatter" and "Jealous Bitches Catfight to the Death" all the rest of the mess.)

Not to distract from the psyops angle, by the way! I think Lucas and Spielberg at the least are effectively the official ideologists and mythmakers of this society, whatever they may believe they are doing, though there's probably more backstory there, as many here have said.

JackRiddler

Postby JackRiddler » Wed May 20, 2009 2:27 pm

Forgot the OP!

PUKE!!!

Though I can't believe it didn't happen earlier. Can you believe these kinds of filmmakers didn't get their mitts on stories like Milk, or Malcolm X?

Can only hope MLK III and Berenice get their stop order.

JackRiddler

Postby 8bitagent » Wed May 20, 2009 2:41 pm

What did everyone think of Steven Spielberg's Munich?
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby Fresno_Layshaft » Thu May 21, 2009 12:27 am

RocketMan wrote:

There's definitely no other interesting aspects of MLK's life and legacy other than the "parapolitical" ones. All those boring speeches and sit-ins-- who cares about that shit!? Wake me up when they blow his brains out! You're just a conspiracy theory, Dr. King. Anything other than that is missing the point entirely- am I right?
Fresno_Layshaft

Next

Return to General Discussion