Report: UK tabloid hacked into voicemails

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Report: UK tabloid hacked into voicemails

Postby Pele'sDaughter » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:13 pm

http://thinkprogress.org/media/2011/11/ ... -evidence/

New Documents Shows News Corp. Approved $1.2 Million Payoff After Learning Of ‘Fatal’ Evidence

Things are only getting worse for News Corp. and executive James Murdoch in the ongoing phone hacking scandal after documents released today show the media giant agreed to pay more than a million dollars to an early hacking victim after the company’s lawyers realized that evidence from the case was “fatal” to its claims of innocence, Reuters reports:

On Tuesday, the newly released evidence suggested that lawyers for News Corp agreed to a huge pay-off to the victim, soccer players’ union boss Gordon Taylor, in 2008 because they realized the position was now “perilous”. [...]

“Our position is very perilous,” [Tom] Crone, the inhouse lawyer, told editor [Colin] Myler in the briefing notes. “The damning email is genuine and proves we actively made use of a large number of extremely private voicemails from Taylor’s telephone.”

The large payout to Taylor of around 750,000 pounds ($1.2 million) was agreed at a meeting between Crone, Myler and James Murdoch on June 10.

The new evidence seems to contradict what Murdoch had told the British Parliament when he claimed he had only had a short meeting about the issue in June. It also suggests that Murdoch understood the company was culpable, though he denies this. Former News Corp. outside counsel Julian Pike, asked at a Parliamentary hearing earlier this month if Murdoch had “mis-recalled the sequence of events,” replied, “I think so, yes.”

Moreover, the new details show that outside lawyers hired by the company had warned: “There is a powerful case that there is (or was) a culture of illegal information access used at NGN (News Group Newspapers) in order to produce stories for publication.”

Murdoch — the son of News Corp. founder Ruper Murdoch and heir apparent — has been at the center of the scandal, which has shaken investor confidence and led to law enforcement investigations on both sides of the Atlantic. After inconsistencies emerged in Murdoch’s story, he has been called back by Parliament to testify again. Nonetheless, the younger Murdoch was recently given a raise.
Don't believe anything they say.
And at the same time,
Don't believe that they say anything without a reason.
---Immanuel Kant
Pele'sDaughter

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:06 pm

New Documents Shows News Corp. Approved $1.2 Million Payoff After Learning Of ‘Fatal’ Evidence

By Alex Seitz-Wald on Nov 1, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Things are only getting worse for News Corp. and executive James Murdoch in the ongoing phone hacking scandal after documents released today show the media giant agreed to pay more than a million dollars to an early hacking victim after the company’s lawyers realized that evidence from the case was “fatal” to its claims of innocence, Reuters reports:

On Tuesday, the newly released evidence suggested that lawyers for News Corp agreed to a huge pay-off to the victim, soccer players’ union boss Gordon Taylor, in 2008 because they realized the position was now “perilous”. [...]

“Our position is very perilous,” [Tom] Crone, the inhouse lawyer, told editor [Colin] Myler in the briefing notes. “The damning email is genuine and proves we actively made use of a large number of extremely private voicemails from Taylor’s telephone.”

The large payout to Taylor of around 750,000 pounds ($1.2 million) was agreed at a meeting between Crone, Myler and James Murdoch on June 10.

The new evidence seems to contradict what Murdoch had told the British Parliament when he claimed he had only had a short meeting about the issue in June. It also suggests that Murdoch understood the company was culpable, though he denies this. Former News Corp. outside counsel Julian Pike, asked at a Parliamentary hearing earlier this month if Murdoch had “mis-recalled the sequence of events,” replied, “I think so, yes.”

Moreover, the new details show that outside lawyers hired by the company had warned: “There is a powerful case that there is (or was) a culture of illegal information access used at NGN (News Group Newspapers) in order to produce stories for publication.”

Murdoch — the son of News Corp. founder Ruper Murdoch and heir apparent — has been at the center of the scandal, which has shaken investor confidence and led to law enforcement investigations on both sides of the Atlantic. After inconsistencies emerged in Murdoch’s story, he has been called back by Parliament to testify again. Nonetheless, the younger Murdoch was recently given a raise.
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Simulist » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:50 pm

Report: UK tabloid hacked into voicemails

It still amazes me that this story generates outrage (and should) while the U.S. Government (and its private army of too-well-paid corporate contractors) doing the very same thing to its own citizens generates none.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby semper occultus » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:28 am

Phone hacking: Lawyer to sue over NoW surveillance

8 November 2011 Last updated at 12:45
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15636826

A lawyer who represents phone-hacking victims is to sue News International for damages after it was revealed one of its papers spied on him.
Mark Lewis told BBC Radio 5 live he was taking legal action after it emerged the News of the World (NoW) hired private investigators to follow him.

Shadow culture secretary Harriet Harman said the revelations were a "new low". News International has said the action was "deeply inappropriate" and was "not condoned by any current executives".
Mr Lewis's former wife, daughter and other solicitors were also followed.

The lawyer, whose clients include the family of Milly Dowler, told the Victoria Derbyshire programme that he was "looking over his shoulder, thinking I'm being followed".
"I don't know what's actually happening out there," he said.
"It's staggering. It's very upsetting to find that out that they could even think of doing that. It was just wrong."

'Private life'

Derek Webb, who ran private investigations firm Silent Shadow, said he had been commissioned by the NoW to carry out surveillance on Mr Lewis and his former assistant Charlotte Harris in early 2010.

Mr Lewis said the now-defunct tabloid newspaper had been trying to find out whether he was having an affair with Ms Harris, who also represents phone-hacking victims, but that it was "barking up the wrong tree".

"My private life has absolutely nothing to do with my professional life. Even if they had found out what they were trying to, it would have made no difference to the cases I was representing," he told the programme.

He said he was taking civil action for an invasion of his privacy, adding that he believed the company was aiming to discredit him and therefore prejudice the cases of those he was representing.

"To attack the lawyer who is pursuing cases for other people is a very serious matter," he added.

Mr Lewis also revealed he had seen documents that showed politicians, including the Labour MP Tom Watson - a key figure in the Commons' phone-hacking inquiries - were also under surveillance.

'Fearless' lawyers

The surveillance of the lawyers, who have been involved in cases against NoW owner News International, took place during the past 18 months when James Murdoch was executive chairman.

It is not clear who authorised the surveillance but the BBC's Newsnight programme has seen evidence that its use was discussed.

Ms Harman said: "These revelations take the shame of the phone-hacking scandal to a new low. "I am calling on the Law Society to submit further evidence to the Leveson Inquiry to set out to them how this fundamentally undermines the rule of law."

The Leveson Inquiry is a judicial inquiry set up by Prime Minister David Cameron to examine phone hacking and report on the culture, practices and ethics of the press. It begins on Monday.

News International has said that while surveillance is not illegal, it was inappropriate in the circumstances. However, the group insists the action was not condoned by any of its current executives.

Mr Lewis argues that those currently in charge at News International had information about the surveillance but failed to pass it to him or Ms Harris.
Mr Murdoch is due to give a second round of evidence to a Commons select committee on Thursday. Mr Lewis said he would like Mr Murdoch to explain whether he had had any control of his company during the surveillance or whether he knew about it.

The paper folded in July after a string of hacking allegations emerged, including the phone of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler.
Mr Lewis represented her family, whose case led to the paper's closure.
semper occultus

Postby Byrne » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:03 pm

James Murdoch was in front of the Commons select committee today:James Murdoch claims truth about phone-hacking was hidden from him

War of words erupts as two ex-News of the World executives, Colin Myler and Tom Crone, refuse to take the blame

James Robinson
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 10 November 2011 20.49 GMT

James Murdoch was embroiled in a rancorous war of words with two of his former senior News of the World executives after he told MPs during a marathon questioning session that they had failed to tell him the truth about the scale of phone hacking at the paper and had misled parliament.

In a two-and-a-half hour session that saw a periodically contrite Murdoch fighting for his corporate reputation and his status as Rupert Murdoch's heir apparent, the 38-year-old repeatedly denied being told three years ago about evidence that hacking went beyond a single journalist at the paper.

But his account was quickly contradicted by both those executives, former NoW legal head Tom Crone and ex-editor Colin Myler. Crone issued a statement on Thursday night describing Murdoch's evidence as "disingenuous". Myler said he stood by his own account of events.

Murdoch had earlier emerged battered but still standing from the dramatic session before the culture and media committee during which:

• He refused to rule out the possibility that News International would close the Sun if evidence of hacking emerged.

• An MP claimed that all members of the committee had been placed under surveillance by News International.

• Murdoch was compared to a mafia boss who presided over a culture of "omerta".

He told MPs that Crone and Myler had failed in 2008 to tell him about evidence that proved at least three other NoW reporters were involved in hacking.

That evidence included an email sent to the paper's then chief reporter, Neville Thurlbeck, containing transcripts of hacked messages from PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor's phone, and a warning from News International's QC Michael Silverleaf that there was "a culture of illegal information access" at the paper.

Murdoch, who was running NoW publisher News International when a £725,000 settlement was paid to Taylor in 2008, added: "The information I received about the Taylor case was incomplete. The full extent of knowledge within the business … was not made clear to me. I believe this committee was given evidence by individuals either without full possession of the facts … or it was economical."

Asked if Crone and Myler had misled the committee, Murdoch replied: "It follows that I do. I believe it was inconsistent and not right, and I dispute it vigorously. I believe their testimony was misleading and I dispute it."

In their evidence to the committee in September, Crone and Myler insisted they told Murdoch about the existence of the "for Neville" email and this was why he agreed to settle Taylor's case.

In a withering statement, Crone said: "I can perfectly understand why James Murdoch felt the need to discredit Colin Myler and myself. The simple truth is that he was told by us in 2008 about the damning email and what it meant in terms of wider News of the World involvement.

"It seems he now accepts he was told of the email, of the fact that it contained transcripts of voicemail interceptions and that those interceptions were authorised by the News of the World.

"Perhaps Mr Murdoch could explain who he thought was doing the authorising at the News of the World? At best, his evidence on this matter was disingenuous."

Myler also hit back at his former boss, insisting: "My evidence to the select committee has been entirely accurate and consistent. I stand by my account of the meeting with James Murdoch on 10 June 2008.

"I have been clear throughout about the significance of the 'For Neville' email, as evidenced in my opening statement to the committee when I appeared before them in 2009."

Murdoch distanced himself from the decision last year to settle a similar hacking case brought by Max Clifford worth around £1m at a time when the paper was still denying hacking was widespread. He said the former chief executive Rebekah Brooks had negotiated that payment. "Mrs Brooks did discuss the arrangement [with me] … but not in any great detail," he said.

It emerged last month that Silverleafhad warned that the company was certain to lose the Taylor case and that Crone had told Myler in a note prepared in advance of a 2008 meeting with Murdoch to discuss the case that the company's position was "very perilous". Murdoch insisted he had not been told about the contents of any of those documents in any detail.

He said he authorised Crone and Myler to settle with Taylor following a meeting on 10 June 2008 at which he was told an email existed which showed hacking had been commissioned by the NoW.

Just as he did at his last appearance before MPs, however, Murdoch said he was not told those instructions had been issued by journalists other than the former NoW royal editor Clive Goodman, who had already been jailed for phone hacking.

In a twist that cast further doubt on Murdoch's recollection of events, Tom Watson revealed he had spoken to Thurlbeck who told him Murdoch had been shown the "for Neville" email. The Labour MP described a conversation with Thurlbeck immediately before the committee hearing, during which Thurlbeck said Crone had confirmed to him that the "for Neville" email had been passed to Murdoch. Watson said Thurlbeck had recalled that Crone had told him: "I'm going to have to show this [email] to James Murdoch."

Watson said Crone had subsequently told Thurlbeck he had done so, but had reassured him he would keep his job with the words: "It's OK. We're going to settle." Murdoch told the committee: "I cannot comment on what Mr Thurlbeck and Mr Crone discussed."

Watson also accused Murdoch of overseeing a mafia-style organisation that obeyed a code of "omerta", an allegation Murdoch described as "offensive". The Tory MP Louise Mensch went on to make the remarkable claim that all the members of the committee had at one time been placed under surveillance by NI.

Murdoch, meanwhile, refused to rule out closing the Sun down if it could be shown that hacking had taken place.

He apologised to MPs for the company's decision to use a private investigator to place MPs under surveillance – which he said he learned about a few weeks ago – and said that was "just not acceptable".

He also showed contrition for News International's response to the Guardian's initial revelations in July 2009 about the extent of hacking at the paper. "The company pushed back too hard," he said. "At various times during this process – and I am sorry for this – we moved into an aggressive defence too quickly."

But he denied he had acted incompetently by failing to get to grips with phone hacking at an earlier stage. "No, I don't think it shows me to be incompetent … I behaved reasonably given the information I had," Murdoch said.

On Thursday night the charman of the committee, John Whittingdale, said he would "want to see any evidence" that MPs on the committee have been followed.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/no ... yler-crone
Byrne

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:49 pm

^^^^
Thanks

Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Jeff » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:53 pm

Hacking police find 'bombshell' emails: Now detectives may want to question James Murdoch

Police investigating phone-hacking at the News of the World have recovered a series of ‘bombshell’ emails which they believe takes the inquiry to ‘a new level’.

The emails were among tens of thousands held by the newspaper at a data storage facility in India.

Police are believed to want to question News International chief James Murdoch and former Sun and News of the World editor Rebekah Brooks about their contents.

Discussions have taken place with the Crown Prosecution Service about whether Mr Murdoch should be arrested and interviewed under caution.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... found.html

Conflicting reports as to whether he's already been arrested.
Jeff
Site Admin

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:38 pm

^^^^^^^
:shock2:Image

Murdochs are not a mafia – but the family firm is in meltdown

The Murdochs are at war with their soldiers and their empire will soon be consigned to history

Protester in James Murdoch mask
A protester in a James Murdoch mask outside Parliament for Murdoch's grilling by MPs. Photograph: Peter Macdiarmid/Getty Images

There are times to push fine detail and finely timed memory losses aside and ask: what makes sense? And thus the fall and fall of the House of Murdoch continues. Young James is so smart, so smooth, such a master of dead bats and – yes! – detail. He's a clever lad. Why, then, did he act so stupidly? And why did those who were supposed to protect him, in loco parentis, do such a lousy job?

We're not talking corporate governance here: we're talking family. Tom Watson may have pushed his mafia metaphor a tad too far at the committee grilling last week, but the family and its faithful, well-remunerated retainers are what matter most. See everything that Rupert has done over the last 20 years as family first and it all begins to fall into place.

Take Les Hinton, the head butler at Wapping Abbey at the time. Did he brief Rupert Murdoch as Clive Goodman went to prison? How could he not have? Murdoch senior is always on the phone. He'd be chatting to editor Andy Coulson just as he'd chatted to News of the World editors down the years. Would Rupert have left his de facto heir to sink or swim in this rancid pool without full briefings and full protection? Of course not.

Take Rebekah Brooks, the tabloid queen waiting to climb the management ladder when young James arrived. She'd been editor of the News of the World; she was editor of the Sun, just a few corridor yards away; Andy Coulson was her former deputy, her pick for the top, her boy. Didn't she see the perils post-hacking? Surely she wouldn't let James fall into the mire.

Or take Colin Myler, the last editor of the News of the World, the Mr Clean chosen to clear up the whole damned mess. Hugely experienced, a previous editor of the Sunday and daily Mirror; an honourable guy who took the fall when a high-profile trial was stopped because people on his staff made mistakes. How did Myler come to Wapping, then? Because, after almost seven years' exile on Murdoch's New York Post, he was the safe pair of hands Rupert chose personally to put things back on track.

And today? Les Hinton is history, dumped from Dow Jones as the family scrabbles after a safe haven. Rebekah is history, too, left with an office, a chauffeur and £1.7m to keep her warm. While Myler is suddenly the enemy, the loyalist inexplicably contradicting James about what James was told and siding with Tom Crone, the paper's equally suddenly reviled lawyer.

Does any of this make the remotest human sense? If some revered TV scriptwriter (say Peter Morgan) wrote a series about newspaper life in which nobody gossiped, nobody got drunk, nobody told anyone anything, he'd be laughed out of the studio. The entire farrago doesn't hold for a second. With Scotland Yard knee-deep in unread emails, there's nil chance of that unsteady state ending any decade soon. Proof – in any bewigged form – will probably only emerge much later: but proof, in a thumbs-up or -down way, is commodiously available already. An over-protected fool or a desperate man cornered? It's a sad, sad choice, but amounts to much the same thing either way. Protectors didn't protect. Instead, they were jettisoned one by one.

And perhaps the saddest – nay, tragic – explanation of what went on is also the most benign. James wasn't interested in tabloid blunders, or even playing executive chairman to them. He loved digital, TV, the future. He was bored, bored, bored by lawyers and their letters. His father, the dad who must be obeyed, had made him serve his time; but his mind kept wandering away to the fields he loved.

There's the tragedy for the son and the family, but worst of all for Rupert. Those who didn't quite believe it in the summer must surely acknowledge it now: James Murdoch can never sit at his father's desk. The whole succession scenario is bust. The Murdoch hegemony stops here. No sentient shareholder is going to let the family run things hands-on any longer. Just sit back and cash the dividends.

There may be more rumours about a Sun on Sunday come the dawn of 2012, but forget them. We can't even be sure there'll be a Sun if James's readiness to shut it (should more hacking be discovered) is tested. There won't be any clear, calm, imminent moment when, all passion spent, the Bun seems wholesome again. Trinity Mirror, its profits bulwarked by the greatest ever stroke of luck, can carry on smiling. The murk of 2011 will just linger on (oozing into view every time Tom Watson mentions a new private eye).

Those who like strong medicine and stronger penalties against malfeasance may care to count the payback thus far. For Murdoch: no heir, no News of the World, some $90m (£56m) gone, a reputation and an influence lost, a family at war. For James: no glowing future. For many of the rest of the gang: no jobs and possibly no freedom either. Retribution doesn't come crueller than this. Hacking can damage your health, wealth, your nearest and dearest. Hacking has sundered the biggest media empire in the globe: and many things, including Wapping and, less joyously, the papers that remain, can never be quite the same again.

■ The News of the World may be dead and buried, but a dogged Max Mosley is still trying to drive a stake through its heart. About 3,000 copies of the Nazi orgy story that incensed him circulated in France so, three years after the event, he went to Paris, launched another privacy case and (last week) won. Triumph? Only up to a point. The court awarded €32,000 in all (€10,000 as a state fine, €7,000 (£27,000) as Max's damages and the rest as costs). That doesn't sound much, sniffed Britain's finest media eagles, barely worth putting on a wig and gown for in the Strand. His French lawyer thought Max had done pretty well – but the tariff, by Strand standards, is low, low, low. Whether it's under French law or the European Convention on Human Rights, you can make a point over the Channel, if you must: but you won't make a mint.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:52 pm

Phone hacking: 'nearly 30 NI staff named in Glenn Mulcaire notes'
Leveson inquiry hears details of investigator's work for News of the World, and suggestion he may have worked for Daily Mirror
James Robinson and Josh Halliday
guardian.co.uk, Monday 14 November 2011 09.11 EST

The names of 28 News International employees appear in notebooks belonging to Glenn Mulcaire, the private investigator who worked for the News of the World, the Leveson inquiry into press standards heard on its first day at London's high court.

Lord Justice Leveson's inquiry also heard that Mulcaire wrote the words "Daily Mirror" in his notepad, which suggests he may have carried out work for the paper.

Robert Jay QC, counsel for the inquiry, told the high court that "at least 27 other News International employees" are named in Mulcaire's paperwork, as well as former News of the World royal editor Clive Goodman, who was jailed for phone hacking along with the private investigator in January 2007.

Jay also told the inquiry, which began formal hearings at the high court on Monday: "The inquiry is beginning to receive evidence to indicate that phone hacking was not limited to that organisation [News International]."

He said the number of News International names and the scale of the activity indicated there was a culture of phone hacking at the company. "Either management knew what was going on at the time and therefore, at the very least, condoned this illegal activity," he said, or there was "a failure of supervision and oversight".

Mulcaire received a total of 2,266 requests from News International journalists, Jay said, 2,142 of which were made by four unnamed reporters. The most prolific of them made 1,453 of those requests.

A total of 690 audio tapes were also recovered from Mulcaire's office, Jay revealed, and there was a record of 586 recordings of voicemail messages intended for 64 individuals. The evidence was seized by Metropolitan police officers during a raid in 2006.

Mulcaire's 11,000 pages of notes mentioned 5,795 names, he confirmed, who could be potential phone-hacking victims.

Jay also said the inquiry had seen documents that suggest Mulcaire was hacking into phone messages ago as early as May 2001.

It had been thought until today that the earliest phone hacking by Mulcaire occurred in 2002. The new date is potentially significant because it falls before the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

It has been alleged that News International instructed private investigators in the US to target relatives of the victims of the 9/11 attacks, although no proof has so far emerged that this took place.

The Sun is also named in Mulcaire's notes, Jay said. Jude Law had cited the Sun along with its former sister paper the News of the World in his civil case against News International, although the case against the Sun is unlikely to be heard until the end of next year.

Several public figures are believed to be preparing civil cases against the Daily Mirror, but none have so far come to court.

The paper's publisher, Trinity Mirror, continues to insist that its journalists operate within the law and follow the Press Complaints Commission's code of conduct.

A Trinity Mirror spokesman said the company has "no knowledge of ever using Glenn Mulcaire".

Trinity Mirror insiders added that they did not know the identity of any Daily Mirror journalist named in the Mulcaire notes, or whether they still worked for the company. It is understood that Trinity Mirror is writing to teh inquiry to find out more.

Jay said the Mulcaire notes showed a "thriving cottage industry" and the "scale of activity gives rise to the powerful inference that it must have occupied Mulcaire full time".

Outlining the vast remit of the inquiry, Jay described a "root and branch" investigation of the press that would not be cowed by the powerful range of institutions in the media.

He said the inquiry would consider granting "protected measures" to whistleblowers who were afraid of criticising their employer or speaking truthfully about press ethics.

The inquiry will not be limited to phone hacking, Jay said, adding that Leveson was keen to learn about all "unlawful and unethical" newsgathering methods, including subterfuge and blagging.

The former News of the World undercover reporter, Mazher Mahmood, has submitted written evidence and will give oral evidence to the inquiry at a later date, Jay said.

Opening the hearing, Leveson said he had "absolutely no wish" to stifle freedom of speech and expression, and that the inquiry would monitor media coverage to see if it appears that anyone who speaks out is being "targeted adversely".
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby semper occultus » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:20 am

James Murdoch quits the boards of Sun and Times

www.thisislondon.co.uk

James Murdoch has dramatically resigned as a director of the companies that publish The Times, The Sunday Times and The Sun.

The surprise move, which has seen Rupert Murdoch's son quit a string of directorships at News International, raises questions about parent company News Corporation's commitment to the troubled UK newspaper group.

Companies House filings show James Murdoch has stepped down from the boards of both News Group Newspapers Limited, publisher of The Sun, and Times Newspapers Limited, which operates The Times and Sunday Times.

NGN used to operate the News of the World and remains embroiled in legal action over phone-hacking.

The departures come as James Murdoch also faces calls to quit as chairman of BSkyB at next week's annual general meeting. His decision means no member of the Murdoch family now sits on the boards of the flagship UK papers.Rupert Murdoch used to be a director of NGN and TNL but stepped down after his son took over as NI executive chairman in 2007. James Murdoch has also quit at least one other subsidiary, News International Holdings.

Tom Mockridge, former boss of Sky Italia who replaced Rebekah Brooks as NI chief executive in July, has taken over from him at NGN and TNL.

NI insisted that James, who was promoted to News Corp deputy chief operating officer in New York in April, was not walking away from the UK newspaper arm. A spokesman said: "James Murdoch doesn't step back from NI. He remains chairman."

He also continues as a director of key holding company NI Group Limited and of Times Newspapers Holdings, the editorial board set up in 1981 to ensure the independence of the paper when Rupert Murdoch bought it.

However, those close to Murdoch say he now has a more hands-off role.

Claire Enders, founder of Enders Analysis, said: "Because it is inescapable that there will be some kind of censure from the Culture, Media and Sport select committee, it is inevitable that people will say maybe you've got too much on your plate, it makes sense to step back from some of the roles." But Enders said Murdoch still faces intense pressure as the police investigate hacking at the News of the World.

"He can step down from all these positions but he won't stop any of the other issues surrounding his stewardship," she said.

Enders dismissed talk News Corp would sell the UK papers.
semper occultus

Postby Byrne » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:02 pm

Official site, including transcripts of hearings, evidence etc.:

LEVESON INQUIRY:CULTURE, PRACTICE AND ETHICS OF THE PRESS

http://www.levesoninquiry.org.uk/
Byrne

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:09 am

Hacking Scandal Widens to Government Secrets, Report Says
By ALAN COWELL
Published: November 29, 2011

LONDON — Britain’s hacking scandal was reported on Tuesday to have broadened significantly into areas of national security, with the police investigating whether private detectives working for the Murdoch media empire hacked into the computer of a cabinet minister responsible for Northern Ireland.

Scotland Yard declined to comment on the report in The Guardian newspaper, saying it would not be “providing a running commentary on this investigation.”

The report said the police had warned Peter Hain, the Northern Ireland secretary from 2005 to 2007, that his computer and those of senior civil servants and intelligence agents responsible for the British province may have been hacked by private detectives working for News International.

News International — whose chairman is James Murdoch, the 38-year-old son of the octogenarian mogul Rupert Murdoch — is a British subsidiary of News Corp., the Murdoch-owned global media empire.

The British outpost has been at the center of a controversy convulsing public life here over the use of private detectives to hack into the voice mail of celebrities and less well-known people thrust into the spotlight of the news by personal tragedy.

But the latest reports suggest that the scandal may be widening if it is established that classified material was also hacked from computers. British news reports on Tuesday said that Mr. Hain’s computer may have contained information about informers within Northern Ireland’s factions. Mr. Hain oversaw delicate negotiations that led to the restoration of local government for the province and the creation of a joint administration grouping its historic adversaries.

The report added weight to previous hints that the intelligence community may have been targeted. A former British Army intelligence officer, Ian Hurst, had previously accused The News of the World, the weekly tabloid that the Murdochs closed as the scandal broke, of hacking into his e-mail account in search of information on confidential informants within the Irish Republican Army.

Mr. Hurst had worked in Northern Ireland, running undercover operations. The BBC reported this year that his computer had been hacked and sensitive e-mails had been provided to The News of the World.

Last month, The New York Times reported that at least one of the scores of lawsuits that allege phone hacking mentions classified information from Britain’s domestic intelligence agency, MI5.

A spokesman for Mr. Hain withheld comment, saying: “These are matters of national security and are subject to a police investigation so it would be inappropriate to comment.” Neither the spokesman nor the police explicitly denied the report.

News International said it was “cooperating fully with the police” on all investigations, The Press Association news agency said.

The hacking scandal has spurred Prime Minister David Cameron to set up a full-blown inquiry into the practices and ethics of the British news media and its relationship with the police and politicians.

In recent days, the inquiry has heard testimony from a procession of celebrities ranging from the actor Hugh Grant to J.K. Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter books, chronicling episodes of intrusion into their private lives by reporters. While the scandal revolved initially around phone hacking, it has since broadened into the realm of interference with computers by people using so-called Trojan Horse viruses for remote access to their target’s computers.

The police inquiry into alleged computer hacking is one of three police investigations affecting the Murdoch media holdings in Britain. Two of them relate to claims of phone hacking and bribery of police officers. In July, Scotland Yard added computer hacking to the list after receiving what the police called “a number of allegations regarding breach of privacy” since January when previous inquiries were reopened.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:44 am

lost posts from the glitch

Quote:
New Arrest in British Phone Hacking Scandal
By RAVI SOMAIYA and ALAN COWELL
Published: December 7, 2011

LONDON — The British police said Wednesday that a 41-year-old man had been arrested in connection with the phone hacking scandal that has rocked Rupert Murdoch’s media empire. British news media identified the man as Glenn Mulcaire, the private detective at the center of the scandal.

The arrest is the 18th since inquiries into accusations that Mr. Murdoch’s News of the World tabloid sought scoops by intercepting the voicemails of celebrities and other newsworthy figures intensified last January. The BBC and the Guardian among others identified the man as Mr. Mulcaire, a private investigator once employed by the newspaper, who was jailed in 2007 for hacking the phones of the British royal family and has been frequently cited as a pivotal figure in the affair. His lawyer, Sarah Webb, declined to comment when reached by telephone shortly after the reports emerged.

Meticulous notes seized from Mr. Mulcaire form the basis for the allegation that illegal activity was systematic at the tabloid. A parliamentary inquiry into the practices of the press prompted by the scandal was told last month that 11,000 pages, in the process of being examined by investigators, suggest he had received 2,266 requests for interceptions from 28 journalists. Police have said that as many as 5,795 people may have been targeted between 2001 and 2009.

A statement from Scotland Yard said the man, whom the police did not identify, was arrested in London at 7 a.m. on Wednesday “on suspicion of conspiring to intercept voice mail messages” and of perverting the course of justice.

If the reports that the man is Mr. Mulcaire, 41, prove true, the arrest could mark a significant development in a scandal that has already seen the 168-year-old News of the World, once Britain’s best-selling newspaper, shuttered by Mr. Murdoch.

Two of Britain’s top police officers have also been forced to resign, Mr. Murdoch and his son James have been called before Parliament and Prime Minister David Cameron has been questioned over his hiring of a former News of the World editor, Andy Coulson, as his spokesman. Mr. Coulson is among those arrested. Suspects in the scandal have been released on bail after being questioned in police custody, but many high profile figures, including Mr. Coulson, will soon return to face further questioning and perhaps charges.

The arrest on Wednesday came a week after a 31-year-old woman was detained in the same investigation in the northeast of England. Scotland Yard declined to identify the woman, or to provide further information, but the BBC and other British news media identified her as Bethany Usher, a former News of the World reporter who is currently a lecturer in journalism at Teesside University.

She was released on bail soon after her arrest. In a statement, she denied the hacking allegations.

“I worked for national newspapers between 2005 and 2008, spending two of those years at The News of the World, working largely on the road in the north of England. At no time did I work in the Wapping office and I had little contact with other colleagues,” Ms. Usher said. Wapping is the location of the newspaper’s head office.

“I have never been involved in the interception of telecommunications in any way and strictly adhered to the Press Complaints Commission code of practice,” she added. The Press Complaints Commission is the body by which British newspapers regulate themselves. “However, I became disillusioned through working with some who saw human suffering simply as fodder to fill pages. As such, I made the decision to find an alternative career.”

The police announced in late November that they had made the first arrest in a related investigation into computer hacking. A 52-year-old man was detained on the outskirts of London on suspicion of unspecified offenses involving computer misuse and invasion of privacy. He has not been identified by name, but was granted bail until December.

According to Britain’s Press Association news agency, Scotland Yard detectives are combing through 300 million e-mails from News International, a British media subsidiary of Mr. Murdoch’s News Corp. global empire.

As the affair has unfolded, it has raised questions not only about the press but also about journalists’ relationships with the police and politicians.

and Stephen Morgan responds

Blog: View Blog (6)

Post Re: Report: UK tabloid hacked into voicemails
I see the Guardian is now implicated too, as well as Moron.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Stephen Morgan » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:31 am

Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby American Dream » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:35 pm

Understanding Rupert Murdoch in five minutes

Charlie Brooker presents an insightful, 5-minute mini documentary
by Adam Curtis on Rupert Murdoch: how did the media baron come to be,
what drives him, and where is he headed?
American Dream

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion