Report: UK tabloid hacked into voicemails

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Report: UK tabloid hacked into voicemails

Postby AhabsOtherLeg » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:43 am

"The universe is 40 billion light years across and every inch of it would kill you if you went there. That is the position of the universe with regard to human life."
AhabsOtherLeg

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:08 pm

U.K. hacking scandal spreads with 100-plus new allegations

LONDON (AP) — British police are investigating new tabloids in the country's growing phone hacking scandal, including the Trinity Mirror PLC newspaper group as well as the U.K.'s Express Newspapers, a senior Scotland Yard official said Monday. More than 100 new allegations of "data intrusion" also are being probed.
Deputy Assistant Commissioner Sue Akers' comments indicated that the scandal, which erupted last year at Rupert Murdoch's News of the World and has involved hundreds of victims, could end up burning the now-defunct tabloid's U.K. competitors as well.
Akers gave as an example payments of tens of thousands of pounds (dollars) allegedly made to the same prison officer by all three newspaper groups.
"Our assessment is that there are reasonable grounds to suspect offenses have been committed and that the majority of these stories reveal very limited material of genuine public interest," Akers told a judge-led inquiry into media ethics.
Separately, prosecutors said they would be announcing Tuesday whether to levy criminal charges against an unspecified number of journalists caught up in the phone hacking investigation.
So far more than 40 journalists and public officials have been arrested as part of the sprawling inquiry. Only a handful, including former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks, have been charged. Brooks has denied any wrongdoing
In her testimony, Akers also said her force was combing through a mountain of electronic information to find evidence for more than 100 claims of what she called "data intrusion" — a category which includes computer hacking and improper access to medical records.
In what might be a newly discovered tabloid espionage technique, she said that police had seen at least two cases in which detectives had discovered data which "appears to come from stolen mobile telephones."
Police were examining "whether these are just isolated incidents or just the tip of the iceberg," Akers said.
The phone hacking scandal erupted last July after it emerged that journalists at the News of the World routinely eavesdropped on cell phones' voicemail boxes in order to score scoops. The probe has since grown to take in allegations of computer hacking and bribe-paying across Murdoch's News International — and beyond.
Police have been widely criticized for their failure to come to grips with the hacking issue when it first emerged nearly seven years ago. Police repeatedly ignored crucial leads and dismissed new evidence, claiming that phone hacking was a limited practice affecting only a handful of people.
On Monday, Akers gave the force's most up-to-date accounting yet, telling the inquiry that more than 702 people "are likely to be victims."
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:00 am

Phone hacking: Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson face charges

Eight people, including Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson, will face a total of 19 charges relating to phone hacking, the Crown Prosecution Service has said.

The two ex-News of the World editors will be charged in connection with the accessing of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler's phone messages.

They are among seven of the paper's former staff facing charges of conspiring to intercept communications.

The CPS said the charges related to 600 alleged victims between 2000 and 2006.

The revelation that 13-year-old Milly's phone had been hacked by the News of the World after she went missing in Surrey in 2002 led to the closure of the Sunday tabloid newspaper in July last year.

Mrs Brooks, who is also a former chief executive of the paper's publisher News International, faces three charges relating to the alleged accessing of phones belonging to Milly and former Fire Brigades Union boss Andrew Gilchrist, CPS legal adviser Alison Levitt QC said in a statement.

Mr Coulson, the prime minister's former communications chief, will face four charges linked to accusations of accessing the phone messages of Milly, former Labour home secretaries David Blunkett and Charles Clarke, and Calum Best, the son of the late footballer George Best.

In a statement, Mrs Brooks said: "I am not guilty of these charges. I did not authorise, nor was I aware of, phone hacking under my editorship."

She added that the charge concerning Milly was "particularly upsetting, not only as it is untrue but also because I have spent my journalistic career campaigning for victims of crime".

The others facing charges are former News of the World managing editor Stuart Kuttner, former news editor Greg Miskiw, former assistant editor Ian Edmondson, former chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck, former assistant editor James Weatherup and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire.

Ms Levitt said that 13 files had been passed to the CPS by the Metropolitan Police and she had decided that there was a "realistic prospect of conviction" in relation to eight of them.

All of the suspects apart from Mr Mulcaire will be charged with conspiring to intercept communications without lawful authority between October 3, 2000, and August 9, 2006.

Prosecutors will allege that more than 600 people, including Hollywood actors Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, were victims of this offence.

Other victims of alleged hacking named in connection with the charges were former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson, television stars Abi Titmuss and John Leslie, chef Delia Smith, actors Jude Law, Sadie Frost and Sienna Miller, and footballer Wayne Rooney.

Ms Levitt said that no further action would be taken in relation to three other suspects, but police have asked her to defer making a decision over two remaining suspects while they made further inquiries.

The eight who are facing prosecution will be charged when they answer police bail later.

She added that once police had contacted all the alleged victims, a list of them would be made available.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Byrne » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:03 am

24/07/2012

Charging decisions on:
Rebekah Brooks, Andrew Coulson, Stuart Kuttner, Glenn Mulcaire, Greg Miskiw, Ian Edmondson, Neville Thurlbeck and James Weatherup.
Code: Select all
http://www.cps.gov.uk/news/press_statements/operation_weeting_-_cps_charging_decisions/
Byrne

Postby Stephen Morgan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:04 pm

http://lydall.standard.co.uk/2011/08/ha ... quiry.html

The senior police officer leading the investigations into phone hacking and bribery was strongly criticised for her role in one of Britain’s worst child abuse cases.

Deputy assistant commissioner Sue Akers (right) was one of three police chiefs said by Lord Laming to have “completely let down” the constable who failed to realise that Victoria Climbie was being horrifically abused.Sue Akers

At the time, Ms Akers was a detective superintendent in the Met’s north west operational command unit (OCU) and had “specific responsibility” for managing its child protection teams (CPT).

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/i-raised ... 05251.html

Three protected Islington children's home heads moved to Thailand's notorious Pattaya child sex resort. Thai police charged Nick Rabet there in 2006 with abusing 30 local children, as young as six.

The Islington cover-up had, Thai police estimated, allowed him to hurt hundreds more children. Everyone who failed the children of London rose spectacularly higher.

Sue Akers, the detective inspector then in charge of Islington's Child Protection Team, is now a Deputy Assistant Commissioner.

Hodge, infamously, became Britain's first children's minister.

Herbert Laming was awarded ermine and undertook the inquiry into Victoria Climbie's murder, whose 2003 recommendations allowed Hodge to treat all parents as potential abusers.

Private Eye:

The Met's Sue Akers has arrested more journalists than any cop in the democratic world.
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible. -- Lawrence of Arabia
Stephen Morgan

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:32 am

David Cameron Texts To Rebekah Brooks Reveals Close Relationship
PA/Huffington Post UK | Posted: 03/11/2012 22:09 GMT Updated: 03/11/2012 23:44 GMT

The prime minister faced fresh embarrassment on Saturday over text messages he exchanged with former News International boss Rebekah Brooks.

In one message obtained by the Mail on Sunday, the Prime Minister thanked Brooks for letting him ride one of her horses, joking it was "fast, unpredictable and hard to control but fun".

In another the journalist, who faces trial in connection with the phone hacking scandal, praised Cameron's speech to the Tory conference, saying: "I cried twice."

The playful texts are apparently part of a cache of texts and emails handed to Lord Justice Leveson's media standards inquiry.

Very few have so far been made public - sparking accusations from Labour that they are being covered up.

Saturday's leak sheds further light on the close relationship between Cameron and Brooks, who live near each other in Oxfordshire.

Her husband, racehorse trainer Charlie Brooks, was at Eton with the PM.

Brooks told the Leveson Inquiry earlier this year that Cameron signed some of his missives to her 'LOL' - mistakenly thinking it meant 'Lots of Love' rather than 'Laugh Out Loud'.

Both of the messages disclosed by the MoS were sent in October 2009, shortly after Brooks left her job as editor of The Sun and became chief executive of News International, which owns the paper.

In one, Cameron wrote: "The horse CB (Charlie Brooks) put me on.

"Fast, unpredictable and hard to control but fun. DC."

After his conference speech, Brooks texted: "Brilliant speech. I cried twice. Will love 'working together.'"
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby smiths » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:17 pm

Brooks cried twice. The utopian dream of Cameron's Privilege for All overcame her a second time

Stewart Lee, The Guardian, Sunday 11 November 2012 21.00 GMT
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... eare/print

There has been much inappropriate, salacious, and opportunistic speculation about the exact nature of the withheld communications between the former News International redhead Rebekah Brooks and the current Conservative party brownhead David Cameron, much of it in extremely dubious taste. I doubt, for example, whether the self-styled grand inquisitor Tom Watson MP would be pleased were someone to make public all his private business messages to the gravy girls at his local branch of The Gourmet Meat Pie Emporium! But unlike Watson, my main interest in the Brooks-Cameron messages is not political, or prurient, but linguistic and literary.

Admittedly, it is possible that, were the full texts of the pair's missives to be brought to light, public confidence in Cameron would be destroyed for ever and the government would collapse, leaving a gaping power vacuum into which Ed Miliband might find himself tumbling, with all the undeniable historical impact of a damp sock falling into a deep trench latrine. But for me, what posterity will choose to preserve from the dialogues is Brooks's response to Cameron's 2009 Conservative party conference pep talk: "Brilliant speech. I cried twice. Will love 'working together'." The pellucid message fascinates, dazzling in its mystery, possessed of a bluntly opaque poetry, and will continue to resonate long after the star-cross'd pair themselves have completed their fearful passage, and death lies upon them like an untimely frost. Consider.

Brooks's unusual use of apostrophes, rather than quotation marks, around the words "working together" appears to suggest that Brooks's idea of her and Cameron 'working together' has some entirely different and privately understood meaning from the normal idea of "working together". Would italics have helped? Could Brooks and Cameron have been planning to be 'working together'? Or were they going to be 'working together'? Or, worse still, 'working together'?

Perhaps the much-quoted phrase from the duo's original communique cache, "country supper", as in "I do understand the issue with the Times. Let's discuss over a country supper soon", should also have had apostrophes around it, or have been in italics? Would "Let's discuss over a 'country supper' soon" have done more, or less, to inflame the suspicions of Watson's puritanical leftwing cabal? Its presumably deliberate echoes of Hamlet's lecherous pursuit of "cStewart Leeountry matters" would certainly not be lost on the Eton-educated Cameron. Rhythmically and dramatically, the substitution is almost too perfect.

Hamlet : Lady, shall I lie in your lap?

Ophelia : No, my lord.

Hamlet : I mean my head upon your lap.

Ophelia : Aye, my lord.

Hamlet : Or did you think I meant country suppers?

(Hamlet, Act III, Sc ii)

Elsewhere in the message's nine words, Brooks brilliantly and economically evokes the idea of the uncontrolled emotion Cameron's egalitarian political vision inspires in her. "I cried twice."

Twice! Brooks cried twice. The weeping did not begin and then eventually subside, like the snotty bawling of a young foolish girl attending a Russell Brand gig, or officiating the back-garden shoebox funeral of a beloved hamster. No. The weeping began, was contained by sheer force of will, and then the undeniable power of Cameron's crazy utopian dream of Privilege For All overcame Brooks a second time, like an enormous yes.

Make no mistake, Brooks seems to say, this was not some easily won epiphany, like the gut animal reaction to cheap music or cheap perfume, but the unwanted outcome of a struggle for self-control that failed, against Brooks's will, and then failed again. It was a Fifty Shades of Grey-style tussle with unbidden idealistic desires, that nonetheless found their way to the heroine's unwilling and wounded heart. If I might be so bold, the sentiment could only have been more dramatic had Brooks expressed it thus: "I cried. Twice." But journalists are trained to write in sentences.

Cameron knows this. And so does Brooks. And for Brooks to break so boldly a fixed professional and grammatical law would perhaps have betrayed the pair far more convincingly that any amount of clanking innuendo about the riding of disobedient horses.

Time passes. We drive our carts and our plows over the bones of the dead. Leveson recedes into the memory fog. Now Savile looms aloft like Whitby Dracula newly transported in Transylvanian coffin dust, and other figures take shape in the mist, drawing the eye from country suppers. The air changes to soundless damage. Cameron will leave no legacy, and Brooks will be a stain upon the saddle of time's swift stallion, no more. But choice phrases often linger long after the names of those who uttered them are forgotten: "It's black over Bill's mother's"; "Oh! Oh! Mr Peevly! Mr Peevly!"; "That's you that is"; and the immortal "I cried twice." Brooks' words will ring down the ages, divorced from the speaker and her addressee, but emblazoned as the new gold standard of emotional veracity. The News of the World is gone and the coalition will collapse. What will survive of us is love.
the question is why, who, why, what, why, when, why and why again?
smiths

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:06 am

Former Murdoch Aides to Be Charged With Bribery
By ALAN COWELL and JOHN F. BURNS
Published: November 20, 2012

LONDON — In a dramatic new turn in the scandals swirling around Rupert Murdoch’s British newspaper outpost, prosecutors said on Tuesday that two former top executives — Andy Coulson and Rebekah Brooks — will be charged with paying bribes of up to $160,000 to public officials.

The development has far-reaching implications for Prime Minister David Cameron, who hired Mr. Coulson, a former editor of The News of the World tabloid, as his director of communications while in opposition and kept him on after coming to power in the 2010 elections. On Tuesday, Mr. Coulson, 44, denied the allegations, which related to periods before he joined Mr. Cameron’s staff, and said he would fight them in court.

When he hired Mr. Coulson in 2007, Mr. Cameron said that he accepted the aide’s assurances that he was not involved in any criminal wrongdoing while editing The News of the World. But the Labour opposition has frequently accused Mr. Cameron of poor judgment for taking him on and defending him before he quit four years later.

Ms. Brooks, who faced a single charge of conspiring with another journalist to pay $160,000 over seven years to a defense ministry official, was also a neighbor and personal friend of Mr. Cameron.

In one of several inquiries into the hacking scandal, she testified in May that they kept in touch by telephone, text message and e-mail, meeting at lunches and dinners and socializing at parties, summer outings and Christmas celebrations.

The Crown Prosecution Service said on Tuesday that Mr. Coulson and Ms. Brooks, the former chief executive of News International, the British newspaper subsidiary of Mr. Murdoch’s News Corporation, were among five people who should be charged as part of a police inquiry called Operation Elveden. The investigation ran in parallel with other investigations related to a phone hacking scandal that led to the closing of The News of the World.

Among the five were Clive Goodman, a former royal correspondent at The News of the World, who served a brief jail term in 2007 for hacking into voice mail accounts in the royal household.

“We have concluded, following a careful review of the evidence, that Clive Goodman and Andy Coulson should be charged with two conspiracies,” said prosecutor Alison Levitt. “The allegations relate to the request and authorization of payments to public officials in exchange for information, including a palace phone directory known as the ‘Green Book’ containing contact details for the royal family and members of the household.”

Mr. Coulson was deputy editor of The News of the World from 2000 to 2003 and editor from 2003 to 2007, when he became Mr. Cameron’s spokesman. He resigned in 2011 as the hacking scandal intensified. The charges against him relate to two periods between August 2002 and January 2003 and January and June of 2005, before he joined Mr. Cameron’s office, the prosecutors said.

Ms. Brooks, who was editor of The Sun tabloid between 2003 and 2009, will face charges along with the newspaper’s former chief reporter between 1990 and 2011, John Kay, and an employee of the Defense Ministry, Bettina Jordan-Barber. The accusation relates to payments for information said to total 100,000 pounds, around $160,000.

“We have concluded, following a careful review of the evidence, that Bettina Jordan-Barber, John Kay and Rebekah Brooks should be charged with a conspiracy to commit misconduct in public office between 1 January 2004 and 31 January 2012,” Ms. Levitt said.

“This conspiracy relates to information allegedly provided by Bettina Jordan-Barber for payment, which formed the basis of a series of news stories published by The Sun. It is alleged that approximately £100,000 was paid to Bettina Jordan-Barber between 2004 and 2011.”

Mr. Kay, 69, was charged at a London police station on Tuesday and is set to appear in court on Nov. 29.

The hacking scandal itself reached a climax in July 2011, when Mr. Murdoch closed The News of the World and Ms. Brooks resigned as chief executive of News International.

Since then, Parliament and the police have launched investigations while a separate inquiry led by Lord Justice Sir Brian Leveson has called scores of witnesses, including Mr. Murdoch and his son James, to testify about the practices and behavior of the British press.In the course of the Operation Elveden investigation, more than 50 people have been arrested; two of them have been told they will face no further action.

Ms. Brooks, 44, is among a group of former Murdoch employees who are to face trial next year on charges related to the scandals at the company.

Altogether, more than 50 former newspaper executives, lawyers, editors, reporters and investigators have been arrested and questioned in extensive police inquiries.

At a court appearance in May, Ms. Brooks was charged along with her husband, a well-known racehorse trainer, and four other people with perverting the course of justice by concealing documents, computers and other evidence from detectives.

In June, she returned to court for a hearing on charges relating to the phone hacking scandal.

And in September, she appeared in court again, this time along with Mr. Coulson, on charges of intercepting communications without lawful authority, including an incident in which News of the World employees broke into the voice mail account of Milly Dowler, a schoolgirl who was murdered. Mr. Coulson also faces separate perjury charges in Scotland.

Before her fall, Ms. Brooks was a close confidante of Mr. Murdoch and one of the most powerful figures in the British news media.Over nearly 20 years with the company, she rose rapidly to become editor of The News of the World, a weekly, and later of The Sun, Britain’s most widely circulated daily paper, before being promoted to chief executive of News International in 2009.

As the scandal erupted, Mr. Murdoch flew to London to offer a public show of support for Ms. Brooks, who had been his personal choice to lead his British newspaper operation. But she resigned shortly afterward with a lucrative severance package that included continued use of a chauffeur-driven car and the payment of legal fees.

The Crown Prosecution Service said on Tuesday that the charges against Ms. Brooks and Mr. Coulson related to two files of evidence sent by detectives at Scotland Yard. It did not say when charges would be formally brought against her and the other four people named in the evidence.

Alongside Operation Elveden, police are conducting Operation Weeting relating to accusations of phone hacking and Operation Tuleta which concerns computer hacking and other privacy breaches.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:51 am

Did News Corp. Illegally Purchase Saddam Hussein Photos from U.S. Officials?
Nov 18, 2012 7:00 PM EST
Dozens of employees have already been arrested for allegedly paying off British officials—and sources now tell Peter Jukes that U.S. agents may also be implicated, as questions arise over how they scored controversial photos of Saddam Hussein.

While the scandal that shuttered Britain’s best-selling tabloid, News of the World, has gone quiet ahead of next year’s phone-hacking trials, Britain’s parallel investigation into what has been described as a “culture of illegal payments” to public officials at sister daily The Sun has shifted into high gear. And this week Scotland Yard handed over several new files from its investigations into the alleged bribery to public prosecutors in the U.K., for a decision over whether to press formal charges against some of the 54 individuals arrested so far in the controversy.

The May 20th, 2005 cover of The New York Post shows Saddam Hussein in his underwear. (Daniel Acker / Bloomberg / Getty Images)

The allegations that News Corp., which owns The Sun, made illegal payments to British defense personnel, police officers, and health workers in exchange for confidential information sparked widespread public outcry, which triggered investigations by the U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation, and Securities and Exchange Commission in the summer of 2011. Under the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, American-owned companies who suborn foreign officials can incur large fines and possible prison sentences for senior executives. These investigations typically take two years to complete.

But The Daily Beast has learned that The Sun may have made another potentially corrupt payment, to a U.S. official on American soil.

On Friday, May 20, 2005, two Murdoch-owned tabloids, The Sun and the New York Post, ran front-page pictures of Saddam Hussein in his underwear, and inside the papers, more photos of the former Iraqi leader in U.S. captivity. According to Fox News, the Multinational Forces spokeswoman in Baghdad said the images could have been taken between January and April 2004, “based on the background of the photos and appearance of him.” Given the context of the Abu Ghraib revelations and ongoing, violent insurgency in Iraq at the time, multiple sources reported that President George W. Bush was upset about the leak. “There will be a thorough investigation into this instance,” deputy White House spokesman Trent Duffy told The New York Times, “[The president] wants to get to the bottom of it immediately.”

No investigation has ever found the source of the leaked pictures, but buried in the contemporary reports is a glaring admission. The Sun’s then-managing editor, Graham Dudman, told the Associated Press that his newspaper paid “a small sum” for the photos. Dudman would not elaborate “except to say it was more than 500 British pounds, which is about $900.”

Sources close to the story have told The Daily Beast that the payment was significantly greater, and was made to a U.S. official on American soil. Meanwhile, Scotland Yard detectives arrested Dudman in January of this year on suspicion of making corrupt payments involving British officials. He has yet to be charged with any criminal offense in the U.K.

(Incidentally, in 2005, Dudman said in a statement, “The Sun obtained [the Hussein] pictures by professional journalistic methods, and by any standards this is an extraordinary scoop as shown by the way it has been followed in the world’s media.”)

In 2004 former News of the World editor and current CNN host Piers Morgan was sacked from the U.K.’s Daily Mirror publishing fake photos of British soldiers abusing Iraqis. Given this history of hoaxes, The Sun would have been very cautious about accepting the Hussein photos in 2005. Expertise in both photographic manipulation and the physical details of Iraqi life would have been required to authenticate the pictures before they were procured. If the procurement and verification of the photos happened on American soil by a News International contact from the U.K., their movements may have been recorded by U.S. immigration. Any financial transaction would also most likely have left an audit trail.

The problem for News Corp. may be that the Hussein pictures were published on both sides of the Atlantic on the same day, perhaps suggesting some kind of advance cooperation.
The Sun’s editor in 2005, Rebekah Brooks, appeared to be oblivious to the illegality of paying public officials for stories when she appeared before a House of Commons Select committee a couple of years before. However, in his verbal evidence to the Leveson Inquiry into press ethics, Rupert Murdoch, chair, CEO and head of corporate governance for News Corp., told Lord Justice Leveson under oath in May (PDF), “I believe that paying police officers for information is wrong.”
The problem for Murdoch and the board of News Corp. may be that these pictures were published on both sides of the Atlantic on the same day, perhaps suggesting some kind of advance co-operation between the American parent company and the British News International subsidiary. If there is any evidence that there was prior knowledge by senior executives of payment for the pictures, this could bring the possibility of a U.S. investigation and charges with stiff penalties for illegal payments to public officials.

Last year, New Corp. set up a Management and Standards Committee, tasked with assisting British police with uncovering evidence of corrupt payments. The MSC holds a vast database of internal News International emails and communications, and answers to former U.S. assistant attorney general and News Corp. board member Viet Dinh. It is not known whether any requests for information have been made to the MSC regarding The Sun’s activities in May 2005, when the Hussein pictures were published.

Neither representatives from the FBI nor News Corp. responded to The Daily Beast’s requests for comment on the fresh revelations at the time of publication.

SUN NOV 18, 2012 AT 04:29 PM PST
Murdoch: Is A US Grand Jury Set To Indict Rupert For Illegal Payments, And If Not, Why Not?
byceebsFollowforMurdochgate Investigators

Over the last two years this side of the Atlantic has been providing piece after piece of evidence of irregular practices between journalists and private eyes employed on behalf of the newspaper arm of Newscorp in the UK, News International. These activities have been detailed in past diaries here, and have allegedly consisted of phone hacking, Bribery of public officials, bribery of police officers and Military figures. This has resulted in a stream of files being handed by the metropolitan police to the UK’s crown prosecution service,

NewsCorp for it’s part started by insisting that this was just the work of “one rogue journalist” a claim that stretched credulity seeing as the original rogue was a royal reporter, and one of the victims was a football agent. As the Scandal has rolled on, it has become clear that it wasn’t just one rogue reporter, but rather one rogue newspaper, and from there as the investigation progressed, other print arms of the UK business have gradually had their own range of skeletons exposed.
So far the problems have all been confined to one national newspaper group, but it looks like the Companies crisis may be at the point of getting its feet wet and leaping across the Atlantic.

The Daily Beast has an article in which it says it has learned of a corrupt payment made by The Sun to a U.S. official on American soil

http://www.thedailybeast.com/...

On Friday, May 20, 2005, two Murdoch-owned tabloids, The Sun and the New York Post, ran front-page pictures of Saddam Hussein in his underwear, and inside the papers, more photos of the former Iraqi leader in U.S. captivity.. According to Fox News, the Multinational Forces spokeswoman in Baghdad said the images could have been taken between January and April 2004,“based on the background of the photos and appearance of him.” Given the context of the Abu Ghraib revelations and ongoing, violent insurgency in Iraq at the time, multiple sources reported that President George W. Bush was upset about the leak “There will be a thorough investigation into this instance," deputy White House spokesman Trent Duffy told The New York Times, “[The president} wants to get to the bottom of it immediately."
Online rumor suggests that the man chosen to do the deal is known to the Authorities, and his entry and exit from the country will be visible in US Immigration records (someones push for paranoia after 9/11 Via Fox News will be coming back to haunt him). Payment details may also be visible, as the amount rumored to have been paid is much larger than that admitted by the papers editor. Sources say that privately News International journalists were crowing about how bad a negotiator the US official involved was and the fact that they managed to lay their hands on the pictures for half the amount of cash that they had for the deal.

Further to this The suggestion is that the simultaneous publication on both sides of the Atlantic implies a controlling knowledge at a level above that of the UK News International high level figures where the rogue accusations usually stop. Could it be that the 30,000 emails passed by the Metropolitan police to the DOJ contain the fingerprints of the highest member of the Newscorp board, arranging the story between the two sides of the Atlantics presses?

Now the election is over, there is no real excuse for the DOJ to stall on their investigation any further. Grand juries really must be called and the Investigation of those up the chain at Newscorp must proceed now apace.

There are several Questions that need answers

1) Was the DOJ or FBI aware that the Editor of the Sun had admitted that he had made illegal payments to a US government official on the record

2) Was the DOJ or FBI aware that the payments were considerably larger than was admitted on the record

3) Was the DOJ or FBI aware that there must have been communications between London and New York, incurring liability to both News International and Newscorp, as the photos were published simultaneously in the Sun and the New York Post?

4) Has the DOJ or FBI been in contact with the Newscorp MSC for information about correspondence relating to this, or is this something that is planned in the near future

If rumors flying amongst the UK media and Leveson watchers at present are correct then expect major announcements from the US authorities in the next two or three days.

What Charges are possible? Well apart from Bribery or other corrupt payments legislation, it’s possible, although only a slim chance that War Crimes charges may be deployed. It depends on how the appropriate pieces of US legislation are worded. The US has an obligation to Obey the Geneva Convention, and Article 13 and 14 of the Third Geneva convention are things that would cover this

International Humanitarian Law - Third 1949 Geneva Convention
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Byrne » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:41 pm

Tom Watson uses his parliamentary privelege:
Westminster Hall debate
29 Feb 2012

Daniel Morgan
4:00 pm

Tom Watson (West Bromwich East, Labour)

It is nearly 25 years—10 March 1987—since the son of Isabel and the brother of Alastair, Daniel Morgan, was brutally killed by five blows of an axe to the head. The last blow was probably struck when he was on the ground, because the hilt was embedded in his skull. Alastair is here today representing his family to hear the Minister’s response to the family’s call for a judge-led inquiry into the five failed investigations into Daniel’s murder. All they ask is justice for Daniel.

The five failed inquiries have cost the taxpayer nearly £30 million. I believe that had the murder been investigated adequately a quarter of a century ago, Daniel’s killer would have been brought to justice. John Yates said:

“This case is one of the most deplorable episodes in the entire history of the Metropolitan Police Service.”

He went on to say that Daniel’s family had “been treated disgracefully.” I suspect that the Minister will not be able to grant a judge-led inquiry today, but I hope that he will at least keep an open mind, as the Home Secretary has not yet decided whether to grant such an inquiry, which my hon. Friend Emily Thornberry has also been campaigning for on behalf of her constituents.

I ask the Minister for one thing: please agree to ask his officials and the Metropolitan police a number of searching questions before he and the Home Secretary make their decision. I will put those questions to him at the end of my contribution. Daniel’s family categorically do not want another investigation by the Metropolitan police—they have lost trust. Before I raise specific questions for the Minister, I will run through the events that have led to the five failed investigations.

Investigation No. 1 was severely compromised by police corruption. For 20 years the Met failed to admit that, despite the repeated pleas of the Morgan family. Indeed, it was not until 2005 that the Met’s then commissioner, Sir Ian Blair, admitted that the first inquiry involving Detective Superintendent Sidney Fillery had been compromised. If that admission had come earlier, the subsequent inquiries might not also have failed.

As part of the first investigation, it is now known that DS Sid Fillery—a member of the original murder squad—failed to reveal to his superiors that he had very close links with Jonathan Rees when he became part of the inquiry. I am told that Fillery took a statement from Rees, but it did not include details that both he and Rees had met Daniel at the Golden Lion pub the night before the murder, nor did it include details of a robbery of Belmont Car Auctions a year earlier. Had those details emerged at the time, they would have revealed that those incidents brought both men into direct conflict with Daniel.

The Belmont Car Auctions story was significant because Jonathan Rees and Daniel had previously agreed that they would not deal with cash-in-transit work. Daniel is known to have been angry when Jonathan Rees took on the job of looking after the takings from the auctions, saying it would, “backfire on them.” Rees, who was contracted to carry cash to the bank after a series of auctions, alleged that the bank night-safe had been interfered with, and therefore took the money to his home in March 1986. He alleges that he was attacked outside his house by two masked men who took the £18,000 from him. Belmont Car Auctions then sued Southern Investigations, which resulted in Daniel having to raise £10,000 very quickly for security to the court.

We know that two days before the murder Daniel told a witness, Brian Crush, that he believed that Rees and Fillery had set up the robbery and taken the money themselves. Daniel also told a witness that he was dealing with police corruption and that he did not know whom in the Met he could trust with the information.

It is important that the Minister understands at the outset why the omissions of the meeting at the Golden Lion pub and the auction robbery were so critical to the first investigation being compromised. My source has told me that omissions in the statement gathered by Fillery initially prevented attention being drawn towards Jonathan Rees and, indeed, Fillery himself. Alastair Morgan, Daniel’s brother, has also told me how he raised his own suspicions with Fillery about Rees’s possible involvement with the Belmont Car Auctions robbery as a possible motive for the murder. Alastair had not known that Fillery had actually recommended Rees to the auction company at the time.

Alastair now believes that it was a mistake to trust Fillery. He tells me that, for example, his information to Fillery later led to a phone call to his sister-in-law in which the family were told directly by Fillery that Alastair should get out of London because he was interfering in the investigation. When Fillery was removed from the team, the investigation quickly focused on those whom the Met believed to be responsible. Fillery, Rees, the two Vian brothers and two other police officers who were closely associated with Southern Investigations were arrested. However, no charges were brought and all six men were released.

At the inquest in April 1998, Kevin Lennon, who worked as a bookkeeper at Southern Investigations, gave evidence that implicated [Jonathan] Rees in Daniel’s murder. The Guardian newspaper reported that, in evidence to the hearing, Kevin Lennon said Rees wanted Morgan dead after a row. Lennon said:

“John Rees explained that, when or after Daniel Morgan had been killed, he would be replaced by a friend of his who was a serving policeman, Detective Sergeant Sid Fillery.”

Lennon also told the inquest that Rees had said to him:

“I’ve got the perfect solution for Daniel’s murder. My mates at Catford nick are going to arrange it.”

Lennon added:

“He (Rees) went on to explain to me that if they didn’t do it themselves the police would arrange for some person over whom they had some criminal charge pending to carry out Daniel’s murder”.

In the weeks before his murder, Daniel Morgan had repeatedly expressed concerns over corrupt police officers in south London. The Morgan family also believe that Daniel was about to reveal evidence of corruption.

In the aftermath of the murder and just as predicted by the evidence of Kevin Lennon seven months before at the inquest in 1988, Fillery took early retirement with an enhanced sick pension. Alastair Morgan has also told me how, at the inquest, members of the Met disputed the fact he [Alastair Morgan] had ever spoken with Fillery directly as part of the investigation. He believes that they were trying to cover up for Fillery.

Investigation No. 2—an outside inquiry—ordered by the then commissioner, Sir Peter Imbert, following a complaint by the family, was carried out by Hampshire police. It made no attempt whatsoever to address the allegations that Fillery had tried to get Daniel’s brother, Alastair, out of London after he had pointed to Rees as a prime suspect in the murder. Had the inquiry done so, it might have found that what Alastair said tallied with the allegations previously made by Kevin Lennon at the inquest in 1988. The inquiry’s terms of reference were to investigate

“all aspects of police involvement arising from the death of Daniel Morgan”.

Unknown to Daniel’s family, the remit of the inquiry was secretly changed at a high-level meeting at Scotland Yard in December 1988. The family further believe that the second investigation did not address the statements made at the inquest by serving police officers in which they denied that Alastair Morgan had ever raised his suspicions about Rees with Fillery, directly, as part of investigation No. 1.

In addition, Mr Morgan is frustrated that he offered to provide Hampshire police with a statement after an initial interview, but they refused it—indeed, no further statement was taken until 2000. The inquiry later reported to the Police Complaints Authority that there was

“no evidence whatsoever of police involvement in the murder”

and that the original inquiry had been good.

Understandably, the Morgan family kept up their campaign for justice. In November 1997, they met Sir Paul Condon who promised to review the case—nothing happened until late 1998 when, under the leadership of John Stevens and Roy Clark, the Met launched a third investigation into the murder. That was done without the knowledge of the Morgan family and in secrecy—not including the family was a mistake and the secrecy of the inquiry has deeply troubled them. The secrecy today is still a major issue for the family with the Met. I hope that the Minister understands that he must ask why the family were not kept informed.

As part of investigation No. 3, a covert bug was placed in the office of Southern Investigations. I will return to that later. Yet investigation No. 3 arguably missed its chance to use trigger events to gather further evidence on the murder. After Rees went to jail, the Morgan family had another meeting with Roy Clark. Clark initially said that they would do another investigation. The family ruled that out, as they wanted disclosure of the Hampshire report first. First Clark and then Andy Hayman refused to disclose the report to the family. It was not until the family were forced to go to the High Court that they succeeded. The Morgans should not have had to do that.

In the interim, the Met conducted a fourth inquiry, led by Detective Chief Superintendent David Cook. However, the fourth investigation, which the family described as the first honest investigation into the murder, gathered insufficient evidence to prosecute Rees, Fillery and three other men for the murder. My right hon. [privy councillor] Friend Hazel Blears then refused the family’s request for a judicial inquiry.

In 2006, a fifth investigation began under Assistant Commissioner John Yates. That happened out of the blue after Alastair Morgan had initially approached the Metropolitan Police Authority chairman, Len Duvall. He had ordered the commissioner to present his own report on the case before that. The family were initially deeply sceptical of the new Yates investigation. Devastatingly, after five years, the case collapsed last year. The Morgan family’s solicitors have said that this was

“under the weight of previous corruption”.

The accused, Jonathan Rees, Fillery and the Vian brothers were ultimately acquitted because the defence would not have had access to all the documents in the case. The Metropolitan police repeatedly mislaid crates of evidence, owing to the sheer number of documents the case had generated. Mr Justice Maddison also ruled that the supergrass witnesses had been mishandled.

I now turn to the situation that the family find themselves in now. Since the collapse of the prosecution, the Met has publicly admitted corruption in the first inquiry. The family believe this corruption had an impact on the second, third, fourth and fifth inquiries. However, what the family did not know during any of the five investigations is the extent to which the relationship between News International, private investigators and the police had an impact on the conduct of the inquiry.

Jonathan Rees and Sid Fillery were at the corrupt nexus of private investigators, police officers and journalists at News of the World. Through the hacking scandal, we now know that Southern Investigations became the hub of a web of police and media contacts involving the illegal theft and disclosure of information obtained through Rees and Fillery’s corrupted contacts. Southern Investigations sold information to many newspapers during the 1990s, but we think exclusively to News International after Rees was released from jail in 2005.

The main conduit at News International was Alex Marunchak, chief crime reporter for the News of the World and later the paper’s Irish editor. I want to focus the Minister’s attention on Marunchak in particular. Rees and Marunchak had a relationship that was so close that they both registered companies at the same address in Thornton Heath. Abbeycover, established by Rees and his colleague from News International, Greg Miskiw, was registered at the same address as Southern Investigations, run by Rees and Fillery. Rees’s confirmed links with Marunchak take the murder of Daniel Morgan to a new level.

It is important to remember that, in the days before the murder, Daniel’s family believe that he was on the verge of exposing huge police corruption. That was confirmed by Brian Madagan, Daniel’s former employer, in a statement in May 1987, in which he said that he believed Daniel was about to sell a story to a newspaper. In a second, later statement, Madagan said he believed that paper to be the News of the World and the contact to be Alex Marunchak who, until recently, still worked for the paper. BBC Radio 4’s “Report” programme also confirmed that it has seen evidence suggesting that, a week before the murder, Daniel was about to take a story exposing police corruption to Mr Marunchak and was promised a payment of £40,000. We also know, from the investigative reporting of Nick Davies at The Guardian, that Southern Investigations paid the debts of Alex Marunchak.

As part of the third failed investigation, Operation Nigeria was launched. It included the surveillance of Southern Investigations between May and September 1999 and was run by the Metropolitan police’s anti-corruption squad, CIB3. It placed a bug in the offices of Southern Investigations that yielded evidence that convicted Rees for a serious and unrelated crime. Police surveillance shows frequent contact between Rees and Marunchak. I understand that the tapes made by the recording by the bug have not all been transcribed; if they were, they would yield more collusion, perhaps criminal in nature, between News International and Jonathan Rees. I hope the Minister will ask the police if that process is under way.

When Rees came out of jail, he was re-hired by the News of the World, then edited by Andy Coulson. Rees also founded a company called Pure Energy, in which Marunchak was involved. The police hold evidence to suggest that Rees discussed the use of Trojan devices with his associate, Sid Fillery. He was an associate of Philip Campbell Smith, who received a custodial sentence on Monday for a crime related to blagging. Campbell Smith is a former Army intelligence officer. I will say no more on Campbell Smith, because I do not want to prejudice the Operation Tuleta inquiry. However, I hope that I have demonstrated to the Minister a close association between Rees and Marunchak.

This is why I think that the Metropolitan police cannot be used in any further investigations: yesterday, the Leveson inquiry heard a startling revelation that Alex Marunchak—a close business associate of Jonathan Rees, then the prime suspect in a murder case—chose to put DCI David Cook and his family under close covert surveillance. The person who was investigating a murder was put under close surveillance by a close business associate of the man he was investigating. That was raised with Rebekah Brooks in 2002, the then editor of the News of the World. I would like the Minister to imagine what his response would have been to that information. A journalist employee tried to undermine the murder investigation of his close associate. Rupert Murdoch claims that News International takes a zero-tolerance approach to wrongdoing. However, far from launching a wide-scale inquiry to investigate wrongdoing, Rebekah Brooks promoted Alex Marunchak to the editor’s job at the News of the World in Ireland.

It gets worse. Last year, Mr Cook’s then wife, Jacqui Hames, discovered that her records appeared in the evidence file of Glenn Mulcaire. The records show information that she believes could only have been obtained from her private police records. While DCI Cook was investigating a murder, his colleagues in another part of the Met were in receipt of evidence that a close associate of his suspect was illegally targeting him. Did Andy Hayman, the then head of the hacking inquiry, who also happened to be in charge of the fourth investigation into Daniel’s murder, ensure that his colleague was informed about this? No. When Andy Hayman retired early from the Met, he became a paid contributor for News International—that is not right. For months, Scotland Yard took no action. Why not? Why was it not willing to pursue what appears to be a clear attempt to interfere with the murder inquiry of Daniel Morgan.

The Guardian has reported that the reason why no action was taken by Scotland Yard was not to embarrass the Met with newspapers.

It gets worse. I would like the Minster to request to see all the intelligence reports submitted about Alex Marunchak. I believe the Met is sitting on an intelligence report from late 2002 that claims a police contact overheard Marunchak claim he was paying the relatives of police officers in Cambridgeshire for information about the Soham murders. As far as we know, those allegations have not been investigated. I do not know whether the intelligence reports are accurate, but I do know that Alex Marunchak was involved in writing stories about how the Manchester United tops of those young girls were found. I also believe that at least one of the Soham parents appears in the evidence file of Glenn Mulcaire. The Met police failed to investigate both leads when reported in 2002 and 2006. I think that Rupert Murdoch owes the Morgan family an apology, and I do not think that he has made his last apology to the grieving parents of murdered children.

Daniel’s family will never see his murderer brought to justice—corruption at the Metropolitan police has ensure that—but the Minister has it in his power to see that they get an explanation of the failure. He can only do that if the next investigation has their confidence. They seek a judge-led inquiry into the police’s handling of the murder, because they have lost confidence in the police. In the circumstances, wouldn’t anyone?

[Hansard source (Citation: HC Deb, 29 February 2012, c133WH)]

4:21 pm

Nick Herbert (Minister of State, Justice; Arundel and South Downs, Conservative)

I congratulate Mr Watson on securing this debate. I am aware of his interest in this matter and the interest of other hon. Members, including Emily Thornberry.

The Home Secretary and the Government believe that this is a matter of the utmost seriousness, concerning an horrific murder exacerbated by a failure to see those responsible held to account. The Home Secretary is taking a personal and active interest in this issue. She met Daniel Morgan’s family and representatives in December last year and listened carefully to what the family had to say to her. She committed to reflect on what she had heard at that meeting and to look into the matters further. At the time, she also made it clear that we do not rule out anything when considering the next steps. She has since spoken to Bernard Hogan-Howe, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner.

There is no doubt that the case of the murder of Daniel Morgan has not been handled properly by the authorities over the years. Although no murder investigation is ever really closed without the perpetrators being brought to justice, the fact is that 25 years on Daniel’s murderer remains unconvicted. There has been a failed trial and justice has not been done, or seen to be done. Tim Godwin, as acting commissioner at the time, has apologised for the repeated failure by the Metropolitan Police Service and accepted that “corruption had played such a significant part in failing to bring those responsible to justice.”

I am sure that hon. Members will agree that none of us can ever begin to comprehend the suffering that the Morgan family has endured over the past years. Our sympathies are with them.

Whatever happens now, the Government, the police and the authorities must do all we can, not just to bring the murderers of Daniel Morgan to justice, if at all possible, but—crucially—to ensure that the wider issues to do with police corruption are identified and addressed. The Metropolitan Police Commissioner has given his personal assurance to the Home Secretary that he is committed to achieving these ends. That is why he has appointed Assistant Commissioner Cressida Dick personally to oversee all aspects of the Morgan case. She is, as hon. Members will be aware, a senior police officer who is currently the assistant commissioner of specialist operations, and she comes to the case and the issues it raises with fresh eyes. It is important to note that she has no previous involvement with the case.

The MPS has also started looking at a full forensic review, which, as hon. Members will recall, was an important factor in the successful prosecutions in the Stephen Lawrence case. The MPS is considering seeking advice from independent counsel on what options are available to it to enable successful prosecutions, in light of the failed trial last year.

Ongoing investigations are relevant, including Operation Weeting and Operation Tuleta, being led by Deputy Assistant Commissioner Sue Akers of the MPS, who, following her evidence to the Home Affairs Committee in July last year, again gave a clear account to the Leveson inquiry earlier this week. Both Operation Weeting, which is looking at the interception of mobile phone messages by journalists and their associates, and Operation Tuleta, which is considering the numerous historical operations that have some bearing on this matter, are ongoing. We must let those investigations run their course, as they have a bearing on the issues raised in the Morgan case. For example, Deputy Assistant Commissioner Akers will be looking at the circumstances surrounding the surveillance by News of the World journalists of David Cook, the former senior investigating officer in the murder inquiry. I take seriously these allegations, repeated in the evidence of Jacqui Hames to the Leveson inquiry yesterday.

I appreciate the concerns of Daniel Morgan’s family about further investigation by the police. However, I do not believe that the police service is incapable of investigating itself. The investigations led by DAC Akers have led to the arrests of police officers. There are many examples of corrupt and criminal officers having been removed from their force and brought to justice. In addition, the Independent Police Complaints Commission is a robust, independent body that can always oversee on referral or call in any such investigation. So there are strong checks and balances over the police in such matters, too.

Hon. Members will note that the Home Secretary has recently appointed Dame Anne Owers as the new chair of the IPCC. Dame Anne, former chief inspector of prisons, has a formidable public reputation, not only as an expert in criminal justice matters, but for her integrity and independence from the Government.

The MPS and the Crown Prosecution Service are jointly reviewing the reasons for the collapse of last year’s trial of five suspects relating to this case. This review is focusing specifically on the methodology, decisions and tactics adopted by the prosecution team, including any omissions in relation to disclosure and the use of the assisting offender provisions in the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005. I realise that this review will not answer all the issues that might be raised in a judicial inquiry, which remains the Morgan family’s preferred outcome. However, it might have a bearing on how we could frame any judicial inquiry, should that be the way forward. It would also help the MPS and the CPS consider what options would be available to them, were they to look to prosecute those responsible in future. This report has been much delayed, partly because the MPS and the CPS have been considering the forensics aspects, but I understand that it will be completed shortly. The MPS has offered to brief the family and their representatives on the findings.

Jacqui Hames’s evidence to the Leveson inquiry has brought these issues into even sharper focus this week. That inquiry has now turned from considering press practices alone to focusing on the relationship between the press and the police, whether those relations were inappropriate or indeed corrupt, and what bearing they might have on how the police conducted their investigations into phone hacking.

The detailed investigation of specific cases, such as the Morgan case, might be considered to be more a matter for this second part of the inquiry, although it is clearly a matter for Lord Justice Leveson himself to decide how far he wants to investigate specific cases, such as this part of the inquiry.

Given all this ongoing work, it is important to consider what options are now available to identify and address police corruption and bring those responsible for Daniel’s murder to justice. As I have mentioned, the Morgan family has called for a judicial inquiry and this call has been endorsed by the Metropolitan Police Authority. However, such an inquiry is unlikely to be quick—a key concern for Daniel Morgan’s mother—and it cannot directly lead to prosecutions. Any such prosecutions based on what the inquiry may unearth would need to follow further police investigations. I recognise that this would satisfy the Morgan family’s demands and we are considering carefully whether this is the right way forward. The Home Secretary and I have not ruled out ordering a judicial inquiry at this stage. The Home Secretary wrote to the Morgan family’s solicitors yesterday and will do so again shortly with her decision on the way forward.

Any decision will need to take into account whether the MPS might invite another police force to conduct a police investigation, particularly focusing on the allegations of corruption in this case. There may yet be value in this course, involving officers with no connection to the MPS investigating allegations of police corruption, because even now aspects of the alleged corruption have not been properly investigated. The MPS has not ruled out this option.

Were such an investigation to proceed, any judicial inquiry would be limited in what work it could do alongside these investigations. An alternative might be for the Government to ask a Queen’s counsel to supervise the investigation of the corruption aspects of the Morgan case, again by an outside force, involving police officers with no connection to the MPS. This option would most likely be quicker, with a QC providing the integrity and independence required.

In conclusion, I reiterate the Government’s commitment to seeing that all that can be done is done to bring justice for Daniel Morgan and his family. Similarly, the MPS is also fully committed to seeing that justice is done. The Home Secretary continues to take a personal and active interest in this matter. The hon. Gentleman asked that we remain open-minded about this matter. I assure him that we do. I am committed, as he is, to making sure that we get to the bottom of this matter, in one way or another.

Code: Select all
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/whall/?id=2012-02-29b.133.0
Byrne

Postby elfismiles » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:16 pm

UK hacking arrests spread beyond Murdoch papers
By Tim Castle | Reuters – 1 hour 55 minutes ago

LONDON (Reuters) - Police arrested four former editors from the Sunday Mirror tabloid on Thursday - the first journalists from a newspaper outside Rupert Murdoch's News Corp to be detained in a phone hacking scandal that shocked Britain.

Shares in Trinity Mirror fell 21 percent, wiping over 60 million pounds ($90 million) off its value after police said they were looking into a suspected conspiracy at its Mirror Group between 2003 and 2004 to intercept telephone voicemails.

Revelations about journalists hacking mobile phones - not only those of celebrities and politicians, but also crime victims, including a murdered schoolgirl - caused public outrage that led to the closure in July 2011 of Murdoch's News of the World - Britain's largest circulation paper at the time.

A public inquiry into press standards led to calls for better regulation of the news media and embarrassed Britain's political elite by revealing close relations between ruling politicians and newspaper editors and owners.

The issue is still a potentially dangerous one for Prime Minister David Cameron who had close ties to editors at the News of the World.

On Thursday he abruptly ended cross-party talks on press oversight and tabled a vote on light-touch rules, rather than the stronger legislation which some experts say is needed to curb media abuse - prompting allegations he is in thrall to the press barons.

Officers from the police's hacking inquiry - known as Operation Weeting - arrested the Mirror Group journalists at their London homes on suspicion of conspiracy to intercept telephone communications.

Mirror Group Newspapers includes three national titles: the Daily Mirror, the Sunday Mirror and the Sunday People.

Those arrested on Thursday were: the People's current editor James Scott and his deputy Nick Buckley, former Sunday Mirror editor Tina Weaver and former People editor Mark Thomas, Trinity Mirror Chief Executive Simon Fox told staff in an email, a source told Reuters.

Scott and Thomas are former deputy editors of the Sunday Mirror and Buckley was previously the paper's head of news. Weaver left the company last May when the group merged its Daily Mirror and Sunday Mirror tabloids into a 7-day operation.

"We take any allegation against employees very seriously and are co-operating with the police on this matter," Trinity Mirror said in a statement.

Trinity Mirror has previously said there was no evidence its journalists had hacked any phones.

But the group's shares lost around 17 million pounds in value in October when a lawyer who handled many of the original phone-hacking cases filed legal claims against Trinity Mirror on behalf of four people, including the former England soccer manager Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Tens of people from Murdoch's British tabloids have been arrested for hacking voice messages and for conspiring to make payments to public officials.

(Additional reporting by Kate Holton; Editing by Robin Pomeroy)

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/british-police ... nance.html
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Politicians strike deal over U.K. press regulation
British phone-hacking scandal uncovers 100s of new cases
The Associated Press Posted: Mar 18, 2013 8:15 AM ET Last Updated: Mar 18, 2013 10:36 PM ET Read 11 comments11

An ethics inquiry triggered by tabloid phone hacking released its wide-ranging report on Nov. 29, 2012,, in reaction to a phone hacking scandal at Rupert Murdoch's News of the World. British Prime Minister David Cameron had close ties to Murdoch and CEO Rebekah Brooks. Cameron also hired the newspaper's former editor Andy Coulson as his media chief. Here are other key players in Britain's phone hacking scandal. (Kirsty Wigglesworth/AP)

British politicians struck a last-minute deal on press regulation Monday, unveiling new rules that aim to curb the worst abuses of the country's scandal-ridden media.

The deal agreed upon by all three major parties came on the same day a lawyer announced in court that there could potentially be hundreds more hacking victims of Rupert Murdoch's media empire.

Victims' groups had lobbied for an independent watchdog whose powers are rooted in legislation, while media groups had opposed any potential press law, saying it threatens press freedom.

After months of political wrangling, the new deal is a complicated compromise. Politicians touted it as a victory, but critics are skeptical — and many uncertainties still remain about whether Britain's newspapers are willing to cooperate with it.

The proposals were the result of heated debate in Britain over how to implement the recommendations of Lord Justice Brian Leveson, who was charged with cleaning up a newspaper industry plunged into crisis by revelations of widespread illegality.

TIMELINE: The Milly Dowler phone hacking fiasco
Prime Minister David Cameron said the proposals would ensure better media practices, while steering clear of setting down a press law that could restrict the country's fiercely independent press.

"We stand here today with a cross-party agreement for a new system for press regulation," Cameron told lawmakers. "It supports our great traditions of investigative journalism and free speech. It protects the rights of the vulnerable and the innocent."

Explaining why he rejected a new press law, Cameron said: "I believe it would be wrong to run even the slightest risk of infringing free speech or a free press in this way."

The regulator being proposed by politicians would be independent of the media and would have the power to force newspapers to print prominent apologies and pay fines of up to $1.5 million if they violated the body's rules.

Submitting to the regulatory regime would be optional, but media groups staying outside the watchdog's purview could risk being slapped with extra damages if their stories fall afoul of Britain's court system.

Rather than be established through a new press law — which advocates of Britain's media have described as unacceptable — the regulatory body would be created through a Royal Charter, a kind of executive order whose history stretches back to medieval times. A law would be passed to prevent ministers from tweaking the charter after the fact.

It was not immediately clear how many newspapers would cooperate with the proposals. A joint statement issued by several of Britain's largest newspapers said they were still digesting the news, but noted that early drafts of the charter contained "deeply contentious issues."

Victims' group Hacked Off said it believed the deal would go a long way toward protecting the public from fresh media abuses, but many journalists and free speech advocates were still uneasy.

The Paris-based Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development were among those expressing concerns about media freedom, warning that the phone hacking scandal should not be used as an excuse to rein in all print media.

'Sad day for press freedom in the U.K.'
The London-based Index on Censorship called the developments a "sad day for press freedom in the U.K." The Sun, Britain's top-selling newspaper, carried a front page photograph of Winston Churchill next to a 1949 quote in which the British leader described a free press as "the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize."

The Sun, however, is one of several newspapers that have been caught up in the hacking scandal.

The previous watchdog, the widely discredited Press Complaints Commission, barely bothered to investigate allegations of phone hacking before the scandal broke. Its chairwoman, Peta Buscombe, was sued for libel after she challenged the account given by a lawyer for phone hacking victims. The group's former ethics adviser, Tina Weaver, was arrested last week on suspicion of conspiring to hack phones.

The new regulator is intended to fix some of the Press Complaints Commission's weaknesses. Newspaper editors would lose their veto over appointments to the watchdog and outside groups could make complaints.

Lawmakers in the House of Commons approved legislative changes later Monday to ensure newspapers who refuse to join the new regime would be liable for damages. Cameron said the charter would be submitted to Queen Elizabeth II for approval in May.

1 of 19
Meanwhile, fresh revelations of tabloid misdeeds surfaced Monday.

At London's High Court, a lawyer for phone-hacking victims said investigators had found evidence of hundreds more potential phone-hacking victims of Murdoch's now-defunct News of the World tabloid.

Lawyer Hugh Tomlinson made the announcement during legal arguments related to the lawsuits against News of the World publisher News International. Tomlinson did not go into much detail, but hundreds of extra victims could translate into millions of extra damages for the U.K. newspaper company, which has already spent more than $325 million reorganizing its business and defending itself in a slew of civil suits, police investigations and official inquiries.

Tomlinson said new evidence meant that some of the 145-odd claimants with whom News International has already settled "might be in a position to make new claims."

There was also further embarrassment for The Sun newspaper — another Murdoch title — which acknowledged harvesting data from a lawmaker's stolen phone.

Lawyer David Sherborne said parliamentarian Siobhain McDonagh had accepted substantial but undisclosed damages from the newspaper after her cellphone was stolen from a parked car in 2010. It wasn't made clear who took the phone — and its whereabouts remain unknown — but McDonagh's text messages had been accessed by the paper, he said.

The phone hacking story first erupted in 2006, when two employees of the News of the World were arrested on suspicion of hacking into the phones of Britain's royal household. News International spent the next few years arguing that the pair had gone rogue, all the while paying hush money to victims and lying to the press and public about the extent of the wrongdoing.

The scandal re-erupted in 2011, when it emerged that the News of the World had hacked into the phone of a murdered teenager in its quest for scoops. Murdoch shut down the paper that summer.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby elfismiles » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:40 pm

Angelina Jolie stunt double sues News Corp over hacking

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:55am EDT

(Reuters) - A stunt double for Oscar-winning actress Angelina Jolie has sued News Corp over allegations its British newspapers hacked her phone, the first lawsuit in the United States against the company since a hacking scandal broke out two years ago.

The lawsuit filed on June 13 by professional stunt double, Eunice Huthart, said reporters from News Corp's tabloids The Sun and the defunct News of the World, hacked her mobile phone while she was working for Jolie on location in Los Angeles.

A spokesman for News Corp declined to comment on the lawsuit.

Huthart's lawsuit said the hacking occurred in 2004 and 2005 while she was in the United States and Britain and resulted in lost voice messages that she never received.

The missing voice mails provided information later used in news reports, according to the court document in U.S. District Court in California. Huthart is seeking unspecified damages.

The allegations include stories that ran in the tabloids about Jolie's budding relationship with actor Brad Pitt -- when only a tight circle of people had knowledge of it -- while they were filming the movie "Mr. & Mrs. Smith."

In one instance, Huthart was instructed to meet Jolie, who was checked into a hotel under the pseudonym "Pocahontas." Huthart said she never received the message with the code name even though Jolie's assistant said she left it for her on the phone.

The lawsuit said that the tabloids intercepted messages left by Jolie regarding her movie career. It cited a News of the World article with the headline "Pitt Stop for Jolie" that began "Hollywood babe Angelina Jolie has threatened to quit the movies for good," according to the complaint.

Huthart of Liverpool, England, is godmother to one of Jolie's children.

The phone hacking scandal sent shockwaves through the British establishment, forced the closure of the Sunday tabloid News of the World, prompted a huge police inquiry and lead to the arrest of more than 60 people.

But until the Huthart lawsuit, the scandal has been contained in Britain.

News Corp is preparing to split its publishing assets, which includes its British newspapers, the Wall Street Journal and book publisher HarperCollins, from its cable networks and movie studio on June 28.

The case is Eunice Huthart v. News Corporation et al in U.S. District Court for the Central District of California (Western Division - Los Angeles) No. 13-04253

(Reporting by Jennifer Saba in New York; Editing by Grant McCool)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/ ... UG20130618
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:44 pm

News International could face corporate charges over phone hacking

Metropolitan police investigation has interviewed 'very senior figures' from organisation now known as News UK

Jamie Doward
The Observer, Saturday 17 August 2013 09.53 EDT

Rupert Murdoch
'Senior figures' from Rupert Murdoch's News International corporation (now named UK News) have been formally interviewed by the Metropolitan police. Photograph: Noah Berger/AP

Rupert Murdoch's British newspaper division could face corporate charges in relation to the Metropolitan police's phone-hacking investigation, it has been claimed in a report in the Independent.

Two "very senior figures" at News International, now renamed News UK, have been interviewed in relation to the corporate aspect of the investigation, which is also examining allegations of bribery of public officials, it has emerged.

The allegations indicate that a new line of inquiry is opening into the Murdoch empire, which has potentially serious consequences for News UK, which owns the Sun and the Times. In an attempt at damage limitation following the scandal, News Corp was separated from News UK.

Such an inquiry would mirror events in America, where the department of justice and the FBI are investigating Murdoch's US parent company, News Corp, under the Foreign and Corrupt Practices Act, which can impose severe penalties on companies that bribe foreign officials.

Labour MP Chris Bryant, one of the most vocal critics of News International when phone hacking was uncovered, said the Met had told him they were "actively investigating corporate charges and that they were in correspondence with the American authorities, the FBI".

Bryant said the law in the UK was now as tough as in the US, due to the enactment of the Bribery Act 2010: "Under the Bribery act, the body corporate can have charges laid against it if its corporate governance was so reckless as to be negligent."

Sue Akers, who was head of the Met investigation, confirmed to the Leveson inquiry last year that she had sought legal advice with regard to bringing "both individual and corporate offences", sparking claims that News Corp directors could be prosecuted for neglect of their duties.

Now evidence is emerging that the Met is actively pursuing the corporate aspect of the investigation. John Turnbull, a senior News Corp lawyer, has been interviewed formally by the Met, a source told Reuters.

More than 125 people have so far been arrested and more than 40 charged in relation to the criminal aspect of the investigation which led to Murdoch closing the News of the World in July 2011.

Sources say that the Met is waiting until the criminal trials of individuals have concluded before deciding if it can press corporate charges.

Rebekah Brooks, the former News International chief executive, is due to stand trial along with eight others on 9 September, while eight Sun journalists are scheduled to stand trial in January over alleged unlawful payments to public officials for stories.

The Met's detectives have benefited from an information-sharing agreement with News Corp's Management and Standards Committee (MSC), which was set up to conduct an internal investigation into the phone hacking and bribery allegations.

It has emerged that Akers sent a letter last year to Lord Grabiner, the MSC's chairman, advising him that there was a possibility corporate charges could be brought against Murdoch's companies.

A News UK spokesman said last night: "We have co-operated with all relevant authorities throughout the process, and our history of assistance is a matter of record."
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:41 pm

Murdoch tabloid phone-hacking trial begins in London
October 28, 2013 6:23AM ET
Former News of the World editors, journalists face charges over alleged phone spying
Topics: United Kingdom International
Rebekah Brooks
Rebekah Brooks, a former News International chief executive, arrives for the first day of the phone-hacking trial at the Old Bailey in London on Oct. 28, 2013.Andrew Cowie/AFP/Getty Images
The trial of Rupert Murdoch's former United Kingdom newspaper chief and Prime Minister David Cameron's onetime media handler began Monday in one of the U.K.’s highest-profile criminal cases in years. The outcome could lead to pressure to regulate the press and could do further damage to Murdoch’s shaken media empire.

Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson, both 45, former editors of Murdoch's now defunct News of the World tabloid, are accused of conspiring to illegally access voice-mail messages on mobile phones belonging to politicians, celebrities, crime victims and ordinary people to secure exclusive stories. Coulson was Cameron's communications chief until 2011.

They have denied all charges.

Throngs of international media surrounded the court in London where the trial will take place, snapping photos of the defendants as they arrived.

The trial, unfolding in a plain, starkly lit room at London's Central Criminal Court, should provide high drama for media watchers — and an unwelcome reminder for Murdoch and Cameron of the two-year-old scandal that continues to tarnish U.K. media, politicians and police.

Joining Brooks and Coulson in court are others accused of some of the charges, including Stuart Kuttner, the longtime former managing editor of News of the World; Ian Edmondson, the tabloid's former news editor; Clive Goodman, a former royals editor at News of the World; Cheryl Carter, Brooks' personal assistant; Brooks' husband, Charles Brooks, a racehorse trainer; and Mark Hanna, News International's head of security.

Jury selection began Monday for the six-month trial, with prosecutors expected to outline the case against the accused on Tuesday.

Dozens of other journalists are due to go on trial next year after the conclusion of this case, and police are considering bringing corporate charges against Murdoch's U.K. newspaper business.

Earlier this month, Murdoch wrote on his Twitter account about the upcoming trial, "Remember, everyone innocent until proven guilty, entitled to fair trial in most countries."

Coulson and Rebekah Brooks have become the faces of the scandal, though neither has been convicted of wrongdoing.

He was the elusive figure — rarely photographed — behind Cameron's canny media strategy. She exchanged text messages with her friend and neighbor Cameron while overseeing Murdoch's politically powerful U.K. newspapers.

Brooks and Coulson are charged with conspiracy to intercept communications — phone hacking — and conspiracy to commit misconduct in a public office, which covers bribing officials such as police and prison guards. The other former News of the World journalists face related charges.

Rebekah Brooks, Charles Brooks, Carter and Hanna are accused of conspiring to pervert the course of justice by removing material from the company archive and withholding computers and documents from police.

The charges stem from the scandal that erupted in 2011 when it was revealed that journalists at News of the World eavesdropped on the cellphone voice-mail messages of celebrities, politicians, crime victims and others in the public eye.

This led Murdoch to close News of the World and triggered police investigations into phone hacking, computer hacking and the bribery of officials, which have expanded to take in other newspapers.

More than 30 people have been charged, including senior journalists and editors from News of the World and its sister paper, The Sun.

This will be a long and complex trial, expected to last up to five months. The first step will be selecting a jury; the prosecution is expected to begin outlining its case later in the week.

Judge John Saunders will ask jurors to ignore everything they may have heard about the defendants and focus on the evidence. The dozens of journalists on hand face restrictions, including a ban on tweeting from court, as the judge attempts to rein in speculation and comment.

The central questions are what did Brooks and Coulson know, and how widespread were illegal practices when they ran the newspaper? Brooks edited the paper from 2000 to 2003; in 2002 it hacked the mobile-phone voice mails of a murdered 13-year-old, Milly Dowler, while police were searching for her. Brooks denies knowing about any of the hacking. Coulson was in charge from 2003 to 2007.

The maximum sentence for phone hacking is two years in jail. The other charges carry a maximum life sentence, although the average term imposed is much shorter.

The trial is not likely to put an end to the saga. The hacking scandal convinced many politicians and members of the public that the U.K.’s press was out of control. Cameron ordered a judge-led inquiry into media ethics, which recommended an independent press regulator be set up with state backing. Many editors and journalists fear that could lead to state regulation, but they may find it hard to resist amid a new blare of publicity about media misdeeds.

Revelations at the trial could heap new pressure on Murdoch, who remains atop his now fractured media empire. The scandal led him to shut down his best-selling newspaper, pay millions to settle lawsuits from hacking victims and split his News Corp. into two businesses: a publishing company and a media and entertainment group.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion