Animal Uprising Thread

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Animal Uprising Thread

Postby Elvis » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:37 pm

82_28 wrote:Watch: Hundreds of goats escape, tear through Issaquah neighborhood

My old stomping grounds. Back then, NONE of that development was there. It was all rural, two-lane country roads winding through the hilly terrain, forest and pasture, tiny farms with a few cows, sheep and probably goats, no 7-Eleven, no traffic lights, no curbs, no sidewalks. It was all green.

A few years ago I returned for a visit to the area, now called "the Issaquah Highlands," and didn't recognize the place. Everything leveled, paved over, rows of lookalike condominiums arranged around the same shopping center you find in just about any U.S. suburb.

Too bad the goats didn't at least smash a few windows and shit on a bank carpet. :eeyaa :fawked:
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby 82_28 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:32 am

Elvis » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:37 pm wrote:

My old stomping grounds. Back then, NONE of that development was there. It was all rural, two-lane country roads winding through the hilly terrain, forest and pasture, tiny farms with a few cows, sheep and probably goats, no 7-Eleven, no traffic lights, no curbs, no sidewalks. It was all green.

A few years ago I returned for a visit to the area, now called "the Issaquah Highlands," and didn't recognize the place. Everything leveled, paved over, rows of lookalike condominiums arranged around the same shopping center you find in just about any U.S. suburb.

Too bad the goats didn't at least smash a few windows and shit on a bank carpet. :eeyaa :fawked:

Ha! Even when I moved here 20 years ago! (where the hell does time go?) The Highlands were being built. Issaquah was but a speck of what it is now.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:35 pm

Cyclist dies while fleeing swooping magpie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elG4l4NQqRA
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby PufPuf93 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:43 pm

Elvis » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:37 pm wrote:

Nearly 30 years ago (circa 1990) I had a funny goat experience. I had purchased a 1990 white Mazda Miata. Had a client in San Diego who was looking at purchasing a sizable ranch in Siskiyou county (just below the Oregon border). The property had several hundred acres of nice timber and I was hired to value the timber and suggest possibilities. Normally would have been in pickup but I was to meet with a rep of the current owner who would provide me materials and give me a tour. So I was to meet him at the caretakers residence and got there and went in and they called for my tour guide. They invited me in. His truck pulled in the driveway and we went out to meet him. Have you ever seen that picture of goats in a tree? About 10 pygmy goats had climbed on the Miata. It took some effort even by their owners to get them back on the ground.

I may have told this story before but my great uncle (who I am named for) had goats and one killed him. He was in his 80s and one butted him in the head and he died afterwards in the hospital.
PufPuf93

Postby PufPuf93 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:47 pm

Some wildlife encounters this week in Humboldt county (read and look at pictures etc. at links.)

Bear Visits Woman in Elk River

http://kymkemp.com/2019/09/19/bear-visi ... elk-river/

Mountain Lion ‘Just Chilling” on Bayside Road Porch This Afternoon

“It was making sounds,” she said. “It was chirping almost like a house cat but a lot more powerful.”

http://kymkemp.com/2019/09/18/mountain- ... afternoon/
PufPuf93

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:33 pm

A walrus defending her cubs sank a Russian Navy boat in the Arctic Ocean
September 24, 2019 / 12:28 PM
Humans have long known that it's inadvisable to mess with Mother Nature. And, as a group of researchers from the Russian Geographical Society just learned, it's also apparently inadvisable to mess with a mother walrus.

The scientists were aboard a Russian Navy tugboat known as the Altai on an expedition to the Franz Josef Land archipelago in the Arctic Ocean this week right before the unusual human-animal interaction occurred. They boarded a small rubber landing craft and were en route to the shore to study its flora and fauna when a female walrus attacked, sinking the vessel.

"During the landing at Cape Heller, a group of researchers had to flee from a female walrus, which, protecting its cubs, attacked an expedition boat," the Russian Military's Northern Fleet said in a press release.

The Russian military appeared to be flying a drone above a group of walruses on a nearby beach to take scientific photographs, which may have spooked the animal, igniting its maternal defense instincts. A gallery posted by the Northern Fleet following the incident shows images of walruses gathered on the Franz Josef Land.

And, while the attached report makes no mention of a navy boat sinking, it does note that "serious troubles were avoided thanks to the clear and well-coordinated actions of the Northern Fleet servicemen, who were able to take the boat away from the animals without harming them."

According to National Geographic, walruses near the Arctic Circle can weigh in at as much as 1.5 tons, reaching between 7.25 and 11.5 feet – twice the size of a human. And while these animals are not naturally aggressive, they will use their massive tusks to defend themselves from larger predators.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/walrus-sin ... d=74197091

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Jm5epJr10
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:23 am

Oklahoma woman apparently shot by dog, claims cops
By Storm Gifford
New York Daily News |

Oct 05, 2019 | 10:30 PM

A golden Labrador retriever, similar to this one, purportedly shot an Oklahoma woman inside a vehicle. (Tara Gregg/Getty Images/EyeEm)
An Oklahoma woman suffered a gunshot wound on Oct. 3 from an unlikely assailant — a Labrador retriever.

Tina Springer purportedly was shot by the golden Lab when she and the older gentleman she serves as an aide to were waiting for a train to pass in Enid.

Officials believe the dog bounded from the vehicle’s backseat onto the console, causing a gun to discharge. The bullet lodged into the victim’s left thigh, according to cops who believe cloth from the seat covers might have gotten wedged into the firearm’s trigger well, causing it to fire.

The Enid Police Department responded to the afternoon, reported the Enid News & Eagle.

In the 911 call, which oscillates, at times, from absurd to comical, Springer’s charge, driver Brent Parks, attempts to explain the emergency to a dispatcher.

"She’s bleeding pretty bad,” Parks, 79, can be heard saying on the released call. “A gun went off and got her in the leg!”

When the dispatcher asks how Springer was shot, Parks blurts out, “Well, it just went off. . . . We have a dog in here and it (inaudible) the gun.”

The incredulous emergency official can be heard asking, “The dog shot her?” to which Parks replied, “Yeah.”

The call takes a more dramatic tone as the 44-year-old victim is heard in the background wailing, “I don’t feel good!”

When the dispatcher asks Parks if he has a clean cloth to staunch the blood, he shouts, “I’m trying to find something to wrap around her leg.”

Parks eventually used his belt as a tourniquet, reported Oklahoma City TV station KFOR.

Springer was taken to the hospital and treated for her wound.

Parks told cops he doesn’t normally carry the weapon loaded, reported The Associated Press.
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/ ... ssion=true
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:20 pm

Yeah, sure he doesn't carry loaded. Almost sounds believable. Dumb ass!
Iamwhomiam

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:56 pm

Wedding crashers

Iamwhomiam

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:17 am

What happened to this car is nuts. 200 walnuts, to be exact
After noticing a burning smell coming from their car, a couple found this surprise under the hood.

(CNN) — If you park your car outside, you might want to look under the hood every once in a while. You could end up with a little surprise from the critters in your yard.

The squirrels around Holly and Chris Persic's home seem to be stocking up for the winter by taking walnuts from their yard in Pittsburgh and shoving them under the hood of their car.

Holly was driving her car Monday when she thought it smelled like it was burning and was making a strange sound. When she popped the hood, she found more than 200 walnuts and lots of grass.

"They were everywhere, under the battery, near the radiator fan," Chris said. "The walnuts on the engine block were black and smelt like they were definitely roasting."

Chris and Holly Persic found more than 200 walnuts under the hood of their car.
Holly had her car inspected last month but hadn't looked under the hood since then, her husband Chris told CNN on Tuesday. The walnuts started falling only a few weeks ago.

"The squirrels worked pretty fast!" Chris said.

They had noticed there weren't very many walnuts around the yard, given how big the tree is, but they said they didn't think they would find them under the hood of their car.

There were so many walnuts and so much grass under the hood of the car that it took almost a full hour to get the car clean enough to take it to a local auto repair shop.

Chris Persic said some of the walnuts were roasting.
Once they got the car to the shop, mechanics were able to put it up on a lift and remove the protective plate from under the car. Walnuts they couldn't reach fell out and covered the floor. There were enough walnuts to fill half a trash can.

"My truck may have had a squirrel chew through/pull out a fuel injector hose, and Holly's looked like they were storing up for the next three winters," Chris wrote in a post on Facebook. "Was absolutely nuts ... no pun intended."

There was no damage to the car, beyond it needing a cleanup.

If it weren't for the rain, Chris said he thinks this would have been less of a funny story. The grass under the hood was damp, but he thinks it could have caught fire if it wasn't.

"It was more or less just smoldering," he said. "Something crazy that happened, that could've turned out bad, ended up being a little funny."

Chris said people have messaged him that they checked under their hoods because of what happened to him, and he said he hopes people continue to check on their cars.

"Long story short, if you park outside, do yourself a favor and check under the hood every once in awhile," Chris wrote on Facebook.

https://cnn.it/2VpbCit
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Jerky » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:42 am

That couple with the raccoons... those photos are beautiful. I'm sure they're grateful to have them! I could see it signaling some kind of blessing on their union :-)

J
Jerky

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:52 pm

Thousands of tarantulas are emerging from the ground in the San Francisco Bay Area, looking for mates
Aylin Woodward4 hours ago
A spate of warm weather in the San Francisco Bay Area has extended the tarantula mating season.
Hikers have reportedly sen male spiders skittering across paths in search of females.
Tarantulas, though creepy-looking to some people, are not dangerous to humans.
Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Every year as the summer ends, male tarantulas engage in a season of courtship. The fuzzy arachnids skitter across roads and parks in the western US, traveling up to a mile in search of mates (even though male tarantulas often meet their demise at the fangs of their spidery lovers).

Typically, tarantula mating season starts in late August and terminates by the second week of fall. But warm, dry weather in northern California has extended this year's mating season there, so residents of the San Francisco Bay Area have been spotting tarantulas this week. Hiking trails in Mount Diablo State Park are reportedly replete with determined males.

"Great time of year. You only get to see it once a year," Sonoma County Reptile Rescue Director Al Wolf told CBS San Francisco.

Searching for that special spider

North American tarantulas (50 species that fall under the genus Aphonopelma) have been known to travel up to 1 mile — a long trek for a spider with legs the length of our fingers — to find a mate. Usually, though, males prefer to stay within a few inches of their burrows.

Once a tarantula finds a potential mate's burrow and fights off any other males for courtship rights, he does something akin to knocking on the front door: Burrows are covered by a silk web, so the suitor taps the web and tries to entice the female outside.

If she acquiesces and comes out, the female tarantula then receives the male's sperm, which the spider has conveniently already deposited on the web. But then she'll eat him if the lovestruck arachnid lingers too long.

"If the female is hungry she may make her anxious suitor her next meal," according to the National Park Service.

Even males who do survive their sexual encounter are typically dead by the start of November.
https://www.insider.com/tarantulas-emer ... ea-2019-10
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:02 am

Bison return to an area of Badlands National Park for the first time in nearly 150 years
(CNN) — For the first time in nearly 150 years, bison will roam a new corner of a South Dakota national park. It's a vital step in growing the population of America's national mammal.

Badlands National Park officials released four bison into a newly expanded range on Friday. And if the way they careened out of their trailer onto the snow-covered plains is any indication, it seems the bison immediately made themselves at home.

The new real estate came from a land swap with a local ranch that blocked bison from entering the less rugged side of the park. Park officials worked with the US Forest Service and World Wildlife Fund among others to secure the additional 22,000 acres of land in 2014, according to the National Park Foundation.
The project also included new fences along the perimeter of the new land to separate bison from local cattle.

Find the best national parks for your favorite outdoor activities
Around 1,200 bison now live in the 244,000-acre park, and their health secures the health of their ecosystem, the foundation said. All that noshing on grassy plains creates the preferred environment for prairie dogs to set up shop, and those populations attract other animals like coyotes and birds of prey that keep the ecosystem in check.

From critically endangered to America's national mammal

More than 30 million bison once roamed North America, but their populations plunged with Western expansion and hunting. They began to recover in the early 20th century, with the founding of the National Bison Range.
Now, there are around 31,000 of them raised solely for conservation purposes, according to the National Park Service. Another 360,000 are raised for meat and leather.
The bison finally got its due in 2016, when it was declared the national mammal of the US. President Barack Obama signed the National Bison Legacy Act, citing the animal's historic significance in "America's story."
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/14/us/bison ... index.html
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:28 pm

Hunter dies in Arkansas after deer he shot attacks him
“I don’t know how long he left it there, but he went up to check it to make sure it was dead. And evidently it wasn’t," an official said.

Oct. 24, 2019, 6:18 PM CDT / Updated Oct. 24, 2019, 6:30 PM CDT
A hunter in Arkansas died after a deer he had shot attacked him, according to the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission.

“I’ve worked for the Game and Fish Commission for 20 years, and it’s one of the stranger things that’s happened," Keith Stephens, the agency's chief of communications, told NBC affiliate KY3 in Springfield, Missouri.

The victim, Thomas Alexander, 66, shot a buck with a muzzleloader while hunting near Yellville, Arkansas, the station reported.

“I don’t know how long he left it there, but he went up to check it to make sure it was dead," Stephens told the station. "And evidently it wasn’t."

“It got back up, and he had several puncture wounds on his body," Stephens said.

Alexander was by himself but able to call his family, who contacted emergency responders.

Alexander died at a hospital. The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said it is unclear whether he died from the puncture wounds, KY3 reported.

“It’s my understanding there’s not going to be an autopsy, so we may never know what actually happened," Stephens said.

The chief of communications said that a person was stuck by a buck's antlers in Ashley County about four years ago. In that incident, the individual survived.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission advises hunters to make sure a downed deer not moved for about 30 minutes before approaching it.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hu ... m-n1071631
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:39 pm

Migrating Russian eagles run up huge data roaming charges
A steppe eagle: the species is threatened by farming and power lines
Russian scientists tracking migrating eagles ran out of money after some of the birds flew to Iran and Pakistan and their SMS transmitters drew huge data roaming charges.

After learning of the team's dilemma, Russian mobile phone operator Megafon offered to cancel the debt and put the project on a special, cheaper tariff.

The team had started crowdfunding on social media to pay off the bills.

The birds left from southern Russia and Kazakhstan.

The journey of one steppe eagle, called Min, was particularly expensive, as it flew to Iran from Kazakhstan.

Min accumulated SMS messages to send during the summer in Kazakhstan, but it was out of range of the mobile network. Unexpectedly the eagle flew straight to Iran, where it sent the huge backlog of messages.

The price per SMS in Kazakhstan was about 15 roubles (18p; 30 US cents), but each SMS from Iran cost 49 roubles. Min used up the entire tracking budget meant for all the eagles.

The Russian researchers are volunteers at the Wild Animal Rehabilitation Centre in Novosibirsk. Their crowdfunding appeal, which has paid off more than 100,000 roubles (£1,223), was called "Top up the eagle's mobile".
Map showing eagles' winter migration routesRrrcn screenshot
The eagles' winter migration routes from Central Asia (RRRCN website)
Presentational white space
The SMS messages deliver the birds' coordinates as they migrate, and the team then use satellite photos to see if the birds have reached safe locations. Power lines are a particular threat for the steppe eagles, which are endangered in Russia and Central Asia.

They are currently tracking 13 eagles. The birds breed in Siberia and Kazakhstan, but fly to South Asia for the winter.

Megafon's offer to bail out the team, reported by RIA Novosti news, means they can continue monitoring the eagles' routes, collecting vital data to help their survival.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50180781
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion