Ted Kennedy has passed

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Postby OP ED » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:03 pm

why do I have the feeling you won't be able to comprehend any of this?

because you're subconsciously aware that you're being intentionally vague?
OP ED

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:07 pm

MinM wrote:
justdrew wrote:
daba64 wrote:John Dean said to Richard Nixon as recorded on the White House tapes in 1973: "If Teddy knew the bear trap he was walking into at Chappaquiddick...." [White House tapes pg 121]

E. Howard Hunt and Frank Sturgis were seen in Martha's Vineyard that
weekend. It appears that Ted was set up by the CIA.

it's an evil mob run once by prescott bush killing off their rivals. IF there's a way to have fixed things, it would have been and remains, use fire to fight fire. The bush thugs (which is what nixon was) needed to have been hunted. There is no alternative. We have an opposition political wing in this country, what it needs is a deniable clandestine military wing. Shouldn't be too hard to set up, no one will believe it exists anyway, that would just be a conspiracy theory after all. :twisted:

as to who's a valid target? They would be known by their deeds.

Absolutely...

Thanks MinM
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:08 pm

OP ED wrote:

I'm sorry I wasn't speaking of you and I have edited it to make that clear, sorry again for the mis understanding
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby OP ED » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:12 pm

seemslikeadream wrote:
OP ED wrote:

I'm sorry I wasn't speaking of you and I have edited it to make that clear, sorry again for the mis understanding

oh i know. i was answering anyhow. no one needs apologise to me. i don't have a side in this debate either, as i don't see it as being so cut and dried.
OP ED

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:16 pm

In comes the captain's daughter, the captain of the Yeos,
Saying, "Brave United man, we'll ne'er again be foes.
A thousand pounds I'll give you, and fly from home with thee
And dress myself in man's attire, and fight for liberty!"
We are the boys of Wexford, who fought with heart and hand
To burst in twain the galling chain, and free our native land!

"I want no gold, my maiden fair, to fly from home with thee;
Your shining eyes will be my prize - more dear then gold to me.
I want no gold to nerve my arm to do a true man's part
To free my land I'd gladly give the red drops from my heart."

And when we left our cabins, boys, we left with right good will,
To see our friends and neighbours that were at Vinegar Hill!
A young man from our ranks, a cannon he let go;
He slapt it into Lord Mountjoy - a tyrant he laid low!

We bravely fought and conquered at Ross, and Wexford town;
And, if we failed to keep them, 'twas drink that brought us down.
We had no drink beside us on Tubberneering's day,
Depending on the long bright pike, and well it worked its way!

They came into the country our blood to waste and spill;
But let them weep for Wexford, and think of Oulart Hill!
'Twas drink that still betrayed us - of them we had no fear;
For every man could do his part like Forth and Shelmalier!
To burst the twain the galling chain, and free our native land!

My curse upon all drinking! It made our hearts full sore:
For bravery won each battle, but drink lost ever more.
And if, for want of leaders, we lost at Vinegar Hill,
We're ready for another fight, and love our country still!

(For SLAD)
Joe Hillshoist

Postby justdrew » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:35 pm

screw hypocrisy, and screw perfection. Build a hero where you can, they're needed for organizing people, just the way it is. This project has better foundations than many.
Last edited by justdrew on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justdrew

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby n0x23 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:43 pm

The battle rages on and on....

You mean this one?

Image + Image + Image = Image
n0x23

synchronicity says

Postby justdrew » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:55 pm

justdrew

Postby daba64 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:02 pm

Joe Hillshoist wrote:n0x23 isn't Et. That should be obvious. n0x23 is way more polite.

I know you're here, Et. Don't think you can fool us (perhaps by being polite, hmmmmm?). I've got my eyes open! You'll not remain cloaked forever! :wink:
daba64

Postby n0x23 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:06 pm

I'm sorry, I didn't realize my sole purpose here was to entertain you, justdrew. :roll:

Would it help if I posted some obscure Gaelic song lyrics?
n0x23

Postby justdrew » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:11 pm

n0x23 wrote:I'm sorry, I didn't realize my sole purpose here was to entertain you, justdrew. :roll:

Would it help if I posted some obscure Gaelic song lyrics?

well, now you know.

so - what do you think of Cutler's scenario?
justdrew

Postby pepsified thinker » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:19 pm

Was it OP ED who asked something along the lines of WIC and Meals on Wheels being his only achievements?

Regardless of who it was, this might be the starting point for a discussion of just what to credit him with--I'd add the thought that getting any of these measures passed is always about building a coalition of support, and cutting deals. So what he himself could have claimed to have done, vs. what he was simply 'involved' with somehow, to some degree, isn't perhaps as clear as all the statements below indicate. BUT--even if there's a fudge factor in some or all of them, there's still a lot of stuff there that he had a hand in.

Too--think of who hated him. With enemies like that, he couldn't have been as bad as some seem to say here.

Speaking of which, if you didn't already have enough reasons to spit in the face of Orin Hatch, listen to his account (on NPR/All THings Considered, tonight) of Kennedy's help with a minor matter of a favor for a friend. Hatch makes a point of telling how Kennedy drunkenly promised to help, then couldn't remember what he'd promised the next day. Takes a sort of crude, gutter-level vengeance factor to malign him in such a context. (But I'm sure there are plenty of other good reasons to spit in Hatch's face.)

http://jezebel.com/5345863/the-lion-sleeps-tonight-ted-kennedy-leaves-long-impressive-legacy

We've gathered a sampling of the work he has done for women and minorities. He accomplished much in his lifetime, but some of the work he started remains unfinished. The list is by no means comprehensive, but is meant to serve as a tribute to his work in public service.

Gender Equity: Kennedy saw the Senate of the Equal Rights Amendment in 1972, which aimed to make men and women equal in the constitution. He reintroduced the legislation again this congressional session, but it has yet to make it into the constitution.

Kennnedy championed Title IX of the Civil Rights Act in 1972, which prevented educational institutions from discriminating against women (afterward, colleges and universities integrated, paving the way for women like Sonia Sotomayor and Hillary Clinton to attend Ivy League institutions), as well as requiring equitable athletic opportunities.

Civil Rights: Kennedy saw the passage of the Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1988 as committee chairman, which strengthened the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Afterward, then-executive director of the Leadership Council on Civil Rights Ralph Neas said, "Now you see what happens when you have a civil rights champion in charge of the committee."

He was also chief sponsor on the Civil Rights Act of 1991, which addressed intentional discrimination and harassment in the workplace. He was also a key sponsor of legislation by the same name in 2008, which sought to restore civil rights protections stripped by Supreme Court rulings in recent years (like the Lilly Ledbetter case).

Pay Equity: Kennedy worked on the Fair Pay Restoration Act, which sought to restore the rights of women to sue with each discriminatory paycheck, overturning the Supreme Court ruling in Ledbetter v. Goodyear.

Voting Rights: Kennedy worked on the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which allowed equal access to voting as part of the Civil Rights movement. He also worked to add amendments in 1982 that expanded voting access to Native Americans, Latinos, and others who required language assistance.

Affirmative Action: Kennedy helped defeat legislation that would have ended federal affirmative action in 1998 and joined his colleagues in the Senate in filing a brief urging the Supreme Court to uphold affirmative action in 2003.

LGBT Rights: Kennedy has been the chief sponsor of the Employment Non-Discrimination Act since 1994, which would make it illegal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation in the workplace. The bill has yet to pass.

Hate Crimes: Kennedy worked on the Matthew Shepard Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act in 2007, which would implement more severe penalties for crimes against women, gays, lesbians, and transgender persons. The bill was vetoed by President Bush in 2007, but the legislation has been reintroduced in the 110th Congress.

HIV/AIDS: Kennedy introduced what became the Ryan White CARE Act, which addressed thirteen cities hit hardest by the HIV/AIDS crisis in 1990. When it was up for reauthorization in 2000, it provided nearly $9 billion in HIV/AIDS services over the following five years.

Domestic Violence: Kennedy worked with Vice President Joe Biden on the 1994 Violence Against Women Act. He also worked on its reauthorization in 2000, which allowed immigrant women to apply for permanent status in the United States without their abusive partners.

Disability Equity: Kennedy worked to pass the Americans with Disabilities Act in 1990, which provided much-needed accommodations for those with disabilities.

Minimum Wage: Kennedy worked with Congress in 2007 to pass the first hike in the minimum wage in more than a decade. Women disproportionately make up the population low-wage hourly workers.

Women in Combat: Kennedy championed the repeal a ban of women in combat in 1991. Women are still technically barred from fighting on the "front lines," such stipulations are meaningless in modern combat. By working for legislation that repealed archaic legislation, Kennedy helped women achieve more equality in the military.

Military Child Care: In 1989, Kennedy saw the passage of the National Military Child Care Act, which established the Department of Defense's child care program. This allowed working spouses of military members and women who were enlisted themselves to have access to high-quality, federally funded child care.

Health Insurance for Children and Pregnant Women: In 1997, Kennedy co-sponsored the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP), allowing families to have access to health care that previously didn't. Kennedy also introduced legislation that has yet to pass, Affordable Health Care Act, which would expand Medicaid and SCHIP coverage for children, pregnant women, and the disabled.

He saw the passage of the Pregnancy Discrimination Act in 1978, which made it illegal for employers to fire women for leave taken due to pregnancy. We still don't require employers to provide paid maternity leave.

Minority Health Care: Kennedy championed the The Minority Health and Health Disparities Research and Education Act in 2000, which provided funding for research for how to reduce disparities in cancer, heart disease, HIV/AIDS, diabetes, and other severe health problems that are found to be significantly higher in minority populations. In 2006, he introduced the Minority Health Improvement and Health Disparity Elimination Act, which would address inequalities in health care access and treatment if passed.

The Inclusion of Women in Scientific and Medical Research: Kennedy co-sponsored the NIH Revitalization Act of 1993, legislation that called for the inclusion of women and minorities in federally funded clinical research.
"we must cultivate our garden"
--Voltaire
pepsified thinker

Postby OP ED » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:22 pm

Too--think of who hated him. With enemies like that, he couldn't have been as bad as some seem to say here.

that is never as true as it sounds. after all, they probably tried to kill ronnie ray gun too.
OP ED

Postby chiggerbit » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:37 pm

that is never as true as it sounds. after all, they probably tried to kill ronnie ray gun too.

Well, that might not have been hate, really, just an obstruction which was in the way of The Plan.
chiggerbit

Postby OP ED » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:52 pm

chiggerbit wrote:

Well, that might not have been hate, really, just an obstruction which was in the way of The Plan.

some of us might suggest the same wrt other saintlier-memoried politicians of arguable worth. i mean, yeah the list above is [mostly] good things, but we're talking 45 years of work to accomplish a list of things that fits in my web browser window...
OP ED

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion