"Nothing is Real"; 'live' CNN coverage, 1991 Gulf

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: "Nothing is Real"; 'live' CNN coverage, 1991 Gulf

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:07 pm

Actually, we are not free to post "whatever we want", per the board rules you cited earlier.

I stand by everything i typed here, despite attempts to reframe.

Proceed as you deem fit. This thread has been derailed enough.

Edit: i avoided naming forum members as an f'ling courtesy, and also to avoid precisely this petty squabble.

YES - those that read and participate here know who I mean, so their names needn't be called out. Clearly, given your responses here, you are one of them. No shocker there.

Those that post crap by disinfo agents here at face value should be ashamed -- assuming it's done unwittingly of course.
Last edited by Belligerent Savant on Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Belligerent Savant

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:09 pm

oh you start the derail/reframing and now you end it ...fine by me

you start something but no one is allowed to disagree with you so you end it
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby chump » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:11 pm

chump

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:12 pm

:D

"Nothing is Real"

apparently only some things are real
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:24 pm

Belligerent Savant » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:07 pm wrote:Clearly, we are not free to post "whatever we want", per the board rules you cited earlier.

I stand by everything i typed here, despite attempts to reframe.

Proceed as you deem fit. This thread has been derailed enough.

Edit: i avoided naming forum members as an f'ling courtesy, and also to avoid precisely this petty squabble.

YES - those that read and participate here know who I mean, so their names needn't be called out. Clearly, given your responses here, you are one of them. No shocker there.

Those that post crap by disinfo agents here at face value should be ashamed -- assuming it's done unwittingly of course.

there you go again...thanks for the courtesy and the fact that it is NOT A COURTESY it is against the rules to do it

IT IS NOT PETTY TO ME

NEVER FORGET BS....... "Nothing is Real"....you said that right? NOTHING ..that would include you?

just so we have the facts straight here ..you started this

Belligerent Savant » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:27 pm wrote:.

20+ years later* and the creation of fictional/embellished 'news events' continues in earnest. Indeed, it's become FAR more pervasive since the date of this OP.

Belligerent Savant » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:22 pm wrote:
JackRiddler » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:21 pm wrote:.

Elvis, your first 22 Nov post -- phenomenal work by Ames exposing Bellingcat.

Also, grateful to you for reproducing all those graphics here.

Agreed. Ames' piece should not be surprising for anyone critically analyzing these events in the last ~2yrs.

While we may offer the benefit of the doubt that the historical citing/pasting (with minimal/no disclaimers, context, or caveats) of content from these hacks were inserted into RI threads, however ill-informed, as a means to offer a 'perspective' of events as they unfolded, I'd suggest that moving forward, ANY content by the following vermin should be flagged here as Blatant PROPAGANDA moving forward:

Bellingcat/Eliot Higgins
Michael Weiss
Aaron Zelin
Atlantic Council

They -- and others of their ilk -- are willing tools in the dissimenation of mis/disinformation, with devastating consequences to the lives of many.

*though in truth, this M.O. stretches back to the dawn of Wo/Man; once Wo/Man learned to etch drawings on a wall, they learned how to shape narratives, and more importantly, the impact such narratives have on the collective. Since those formative years, those with influence and control of modern means of communication have been manipulating narratives to push their sordid agendas, compounded by the increased lack of historical context, interest, and/or attention spans of the average human.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:31 pm

Identifying hacks in media circles that spread disinfo/progaganda is NOT against the rules. Your continued efforts to reframe will be ignored.

Forum members have been suspended here for pasting articles littered with disinformation/propaganda (after repeated warnings to refrain from doing so).

Disinfo/propaganda is NEVER a "point of view"; to the contrary, it's a concerted effort to direct attention AWAY from valid talking points.

It should never be tolerated, here or anywhere.
Belligerent Savant

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:33 pm

I HAVE NEVER BEEN SUSPENDED FOR POSTING A LINK TO ANYTHING IN THE 14 YEARS THAT I HAVE BEEN POSTING HERE......I HAVE NEVER BEEN WARNED ABOUT A LINK I HAVE POSTED EVER

NOT BY JEFF NOT BY ANY OF THE PREVIOUS MODS

but you seem to know more than any of them.....including Jeff who invited me here

nice to see you back to the subject of the thread :roll:

be my guest keep it up....I can tolerate you...I WILL NOT IGNORE YOU

These off topic replies of yours should really be posted in the "other" thread don't you think?

Rhetoric and the art of Collaborative Discussion

unless you want to concede "Nothing is Real"....would that be NOTHING or just what you believe then nothing is really not the correct word ...maybe you should change the title of your thread (some folks are always suggesting I do that so I thought I'd give it a try) to something more appropriate Nothing is Real unless I say it is .....because if you are correct nothing posted in the last 14 years here is real.....not anything you have posted not anything anyone has posted

I am a bit surprised though I did not realize we had a new position here...how did you get the placement?

NOTHING

not anything; no single thing.

having no prospect of progress; of no value
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:14 pm

If nothing is real, everything is real.

The title is very apt in this current zeitgeist. I shan't change it.

Everything is a 'point of view'; all points of view, however tainted, are valid, and worth sharing in a forum.

Unsubscribe.
Belligerent Savant

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:18 pm

Belligerent Savant » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:14 pm wrote:.
If nothing is real, everything is real.

The title is very apt in this current zeitgeist. I shan't change it.

Everything is a 'point of view'; all points of view, however tainted, are valid, and worth sharing in a forum.

Unsubscribe.

then you must admit anything that you post is not real...your definition not mine
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby liminalOyster » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:54 pm

I would like to propose the creation of a Boxing Ring section or thread. Neither of you possible expects to win hearts and minds on this. Why not, perhaps, have a quarantined thread or sub devoted entirely to doing the dozens and rhetorical streetfighting. It'd be well in keeping with the spirit of the times, no? Sidenote that, ironically, I'd actually be really interested to read a version of the same discourse between you that was respectful, well-sourced and argued with real generosity for one another. Like a Scandinavian skin on the usual raging.

"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:20 pm

Ah, a referee! Thank you for cutting in and saving us from ourselves.

Alas, I chose to chime in, against better judgement, on a cogent piece on another thread -- a bit too forcefully, awakening the ire of the Ubiquitous One. It's been a downward spiral since. My condolences to the spectators.

The spirit of my argument remains, somewhere amid the rubble.

Ring that final bell. This one's over.
Belligerent Savant

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:22 pm

Ubiquitous One

When you call I come

He accuses me of posting disfo somewhere amid the rubble .........comme ci comme ça

Are we done now?
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Belligerent Savant » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:10 pm

The floor is yours, as it has been. I'm merely a spectator/occasional interloper.

Remember, though:

Nothing is real.
Belligerent Savant

Postby Elvis » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:51 am

seemslikeadream » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:55 am wrote:but everything that comes out of the Kremlin is fact or so I have heard

This is strawman hyperbole and cheap-shot insinuation, wasting space in this thread.

Jeff in his infinite wisdom put down some rules that have served this place well for 14 years...people wanting to change those rules should take it up with him

Nobody has proposed a rule change here, or suggested that links to Bellingcat, Michael Weiss and the Atlantic Council should be prohibited — you're creating a big controversy and are making disengenuous arguments over things that were never said.

seemslikeadream wrote:oh you start the derail/reframing

Sorry, but you started it with the false accusation against BS, in two threads now, and you are the one reframing BS's words.

Take three days off for disrupting the thread with bad faith rhetoric.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby Elvis » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:02 am

We can safely assert that neoliberal institutions are fascist. What then do we do in the context of this?:

Jeff » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:38 am wrote:This is an anti-fascist board. Propagation of fascist, neo-Nazi and "white pride" causes, including sympathetically linking to sites which advocate such, will not be permitted.

Who or what is neoliberal? If it walks neoliberal and talks neoliberal, it's neoliberal every time. It's not like the government or media is infiltrating neoliberal organizations to investigate or control them or goad them into violence — it's the exact fucking opposite!

If someone on RI sympathetically and uncritically posts Bellingcat as a source of objective information, or the Atlantic Council as a beacon of intellectual honesty, they should expect to take some deserved flak for it.

CNN, reliable broadcaster of neoliberal propaganda — what CNN and the like are masters at is telling half a story (e.g. the half that picks up where a U.S. provocation left off). They need to be called out for it every time.

I've been watching hours of streaming PressTV, the Iranian state news channel. It's similar to CNN, with fewer circus effects and of course a different perspective, but they tend to tell a story more fully. The PressTV discussion programs are generally more intelligent than CNN's.

RT is no worse than CNN, though I roll my eyes at the irrational Trump defending by some of RT's Anglo/American hosts and panels. Starts to remind me of Fox.

What is our goal here? Tell the whole story.
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion