New Book Exposes the CIA, LSD Experiments & Murder

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: New Book Exposes the CIA, LSD Experiments & Murder

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:43 pm

Yeah, the Morse Allen material is actually what I was going to type out next, just in a lot of pain this evening. I have 2 pages of citations from the book in my current journal, there's so much to unpack here I'm...well, "grudgingly grateful" would be the most accurate description.

One of the weirdest points I can find almost no information on anywhere (so far, haven't hit up my used books mafia connection yet) is on page 372:

Christian Bernadac speaks of progenitors of peyote and mescaline, citiy the Huichol Indians of Mexico and an obscure early-1900s New York cult leader, Joseph Rave, who replaced the communion wafer with a "drink of light" comprised of mescaline.

pg. 210, Morse Allen's list of BLUEBIRD "problems"

Can we create by post-hypnotic control, an action contrary to a person's basic moral principles?

Could we seize a subject and, in the space of an hour or two, by post-hypnotic control have him crash an airplane, wreck a train, etc?

Can we make an unwilling subject talk?

Can we prevent our own agents who fall into enemy hands from disclosing information vital to us?

Can a man be made to commit acts useful to us under post-hypnotic suggestion?

Is there an accurate test we can use to see if a man is under post-hypnotic control?

Can we condition our own people so they will not be subject to post-hypnotic suggestion?

As PW points out, his list of answers is far more disturbing:

Certain fundamental questions were specifically answered in the course of the instruction and are regarded as being of extreme importance in BLUEBIRD work. The questions are set out in question and answer form below:

Question: What percent of subjects can be subjected successfully to hypnosis techniques?
Answer: 85% to 95%.

Question: Can a person under hypnosis commit an act against his religious or moral scruples or against his training or upbringing?
Answer: Yes. Anything could be done by a person under hypnosis, including murder.

Question: Can a person under hypnosis be forced to commit suicide?
Answer: Yes, this can be accomplished indirectly and it can be accomplished directly.

I will also probably write an article titled "It Could Have Been Dog Piss" because this book is so full of amazing quotes that really sum up the pathology of power so perfectly. This is one, from page 530:

In September 1975, Elizabeth Barrett, distressed and angered about revelations concerning her father's treatment and death, filed an $8.5 million claim against the Army. Barrett was especially angry about details she learned concerning the involvement of the State of New York and US Justice Department in the cover-up of the facts surrounding the Army's tests at NYSPI. [b]She was also outraged by a statement made by Dr. James Cattell who commented that the drug injected into Blauer "could have been dog piss for all anyone knew."

(Her father was Harold Blauer.)
Wombaticus Rex

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Simulist » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:51 pm

Project Willow wrote:Interesting picks Wombat.

My copy is so dog-eared it's practically ruined at this point.

If I were to post a selection for the general RI community, although somewhat ironic considering my usual stance, it would be this beginning p.263:

H.P. Albarelli wrote:It is certainly intriguing, for a number of reasons, that the Agency included this reference [to Hasan-Dan-Sabah] in its assassination manual. First and Foremost is the nexus among Hasan-Dan-Sabah (also known as The Old Man of the Mountain), Hassan-I-Sbbah, and Iranian born in 1056 near modern-day Tehran, and the Knights Templar, a legendary group that nearly all of the CIA's founders and earliest employees openly admired and sought to emulate.

Respected writer and former Newsweek editor, Evan Thomas, writes in his masterful book, The Very best Men, that Willam Colby, an OSS officer who would later become DCI, "credited [Frank] Wisner [the former OSS officer who founded the CIA] with creating the atmosphere of an order of Knights Templar to save Western freedom from Communist darkness." Other prominent early CIA officials strove to perform "work worthy the Knights Templar" and to belong to a "cultish crusade."

That was from the chapter titled "Magic, Hypnosis, and High Strangeness" which goes on to a short review of the Agency's interest in UFOs.
Why high strangeness? Jeff, what is the origin of the phrase high weirdness?

further on the same page:

H.P. Albarelli wrote:Related to these esoteric and occult explorations is another CIA-requested task for Mulholland: "an examination and explanation of certain of the Masonic designs and architectural features incorporated into the Federal City." Among those listed for examination were "the capitol complex, the zodiacs of the Library of Congress, Meridian HIll Park, and the recently [1952] installed Mellon Fountain."

Your quote from p.233 Wombat, that is Gottlieb. One important issue that Albarelli points out is that nearly all published timelines of the projects are incorrect. Artichoke was not superseded by MKUlTRA, rather their timelines overlapped. Gottlieb and his TSS ran MKULTRA with former Bluebird director Morse Allen of the SRS still heading the earlier Artichoke until at least 1958. He did a lot of the initial work in hypnosis and became a skilled practitioner himself. I still think this quote a stunner:

H.P. Albarelli wrote:Certain fundamental questions were specifically answered in the course of the instruction and are regarded as being of extreme importance in BLUEBIRD work. The questions are set out in question and answer form below:
Question: What percent of subjects can be subjected successfully to hypnosis techniques?
Answer: 85% to 95%.
Question: Can a person under hypnosis commit an act against his religious or moral scruples or against his training or upbringing?
Answer: Yes. Anything could be done by a person under hypnosis, including murder.

Albarelli p. 224. (Morse Allen report, 1951)

Albarelli talks more about Gottlieb in a radio interview here:

http://www.redicecreations.com/radio/20 ... 3-SUB.html

That last quote, directly above, is an extremely important one. Most people have been led to believe that "No one can be made to do anything contrary to his/her 'religious or moral scruples or against his training or upbringing,' while under hypnosis."

This quote — and other original CIA documents besides — demonstrate that this is clearly false.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby bks » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:28 pm

The book is an absolute goldmine, but I put it down during the summer as I was getting tired from all of the excavation. This thread will give me the impetus to return to it.

Along the way, I unearthed what I think is the definitive book on the subject of the "recovered memory debate". It's called Memory, Trauma Treatment and the Law, by Daniel Brown, Alan Scheflin and D. Corydon Hammond, published in 1998. The copy I borrowed from the library this summer looks like I was the first one to crack the cover, ever. It it a meticulous examination of the controversies surrounding false memory. It has chapter titles like "The Countours of the False Memory Controversy" and "The False logic of the False Memory Controversy and the Irrational Element in Scientific Research on Memory". It also has an 80-page bibliographyScheflin, a lawyer, has matched wits with people like Martin Orne and other big FMSF types. He's a giant in the battle over the per se inadmissibility rule regarding hypnosis. Just a very well-realized book. From the book's last page:

It appears that the forensic hypnosis and the repressed memory controversies will follow Arthur Schopenhauer's wise observation: All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." With regard to both hypnosis and repressed memory, the manner in which the media was manipulated into reporting pseudoscience is now being recognized (see Stanton, U-Turn on Memory Lane, 1997; Freyd v. Whitfield, 1997; Bowman and Mertz, A dangerous direction: legal intervention in sexual abuse survivor therapy, 1996) and scientists have now reached stage three of Schopenhauer's prediction. It is to be hoped and expected that the courts, the legislatures, the public, and the media will soon join them.
bks

Postby The Consul » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:03 am

Going to christmas farms, spiking warm goat's milk with enough D to bake a sheet of 4way windowpane. That's who they are, that's what they do. A little bit of Gottleib in every one of them. Clip board, pencil scribbling away as the bodies fall off of cliffs or are thrown out of windows.
" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby surfaceskimmer » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:02 am

Have the book. Am up near page 440. Have already browsed the notes and appendices. Will not spoil the exciting conclusion.
surfaceskimmer

13th Floor Revelators

Postby IanEye » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:14 am

The CIA is defined by assassination. After Frank Olson died at the hands of the CIA, no one expressed contrition or moral concern.
On the contrary, they didn't even want to give each other slaps on the wrists for fear it would hinder 'the spirit of initiative and enthusiasm so necessary in our work.' - John Kelly

IanEye

Blog: View Blog (29)

Postby The Consul » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:06 pm

That's why to a certain extent, you gotta love Castro....those rat bastards tried and tried, but they still couldn't kill him.
" Morals is the butter for those who have no bread."
— B. Traven
The Consul

Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby Simulist » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:20 pm

elfismiles wrote:Podcast is now online:

PsiOp Radio podcast 113 – 100502 with guest H.P. Albarelli
http://psiopradio.com/media/2010/POR100502a.mp3

At last I got my copy of H.P. Albarelli, Jr.'s A Terrible Mistake this afternoon — and I chose to buy it based on the wonderful interview you and Mack did with him on PsiOp Radio, Elfismiles.

You guys did some fine work there. Very informative.

If the book is as good as the interview, I'll be very happy.
"The most strongly enforced of all known taboos is the taboo against knowing who or what you really are behind the mask of your apparently separate, independent, and isolated ego."
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby Project Willow » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:45 pm

Geez Sim, what took you so long?
Project Willow

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Simulist » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:47 pm

Project Willow wrote:Geez Sim, what took you so long?

I think it involves the same principle as being reluctant to watch your eye be operated on.
    — Alan Watts
Simulist

Postby vanlose kid » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:53 pm

not sure whether this is way OT but i'm going to post it here anyway.

a new book:

YOUNG HITLER

How did an eccentric drifter and inconsequential artist become one of history's most powerful rulers? Young Hitler takes a closer look at this momentous transformation.

Hitler's term as German Chancellor lasted just 12 years and ended with the death of 55 million people; the facts are well known. But what kind of life did Hitler lead before he stepped into the political spotlight? Historians who have scrutinized his personal development are perplexed by his rise to power. From a lower middle-class background and with only a primary school education, Hitler spent years as a starving artist on the streets and in the shelters of Vienna. Then, after World War One, the penniless army corporal suddenly emerged as a momentous historical figure and ultimately the very personification of evil. How did that happen?

Young Hitler invites the reader to experience who this young man really was: his mannerisms, his charm, his egoism, his dreams, his problems, his beliefs, his moods, his passions, his books and his music. It allows the reader to witness what happened: provincial Linz, decadent Vienna, the hellish trenches of World War One and an impoverished Munich – the stages of the tumultuous period between 1905 and 1920 when the young aspiring artist was transformed into a political leader. A quest for love and art, the philosophies of the 19th century, brushes with death, insanity and a secret society of occultists all combined to propel the future Führer to unimaginable heights.

I have written this book as a “non-fiction novel”, a narrative in which the writer’s imagination assumes a subordinate role and is merely the facilitator of factual information. Consequently all of the major events experienced by Hitler in this story are based on the latest available research. To substantiate these facts, I included detailed appendices together with research data and sources.

http://www.younghitler.com/blurb.htm

what drew my attention to it was this description:

Friday 24th September
Claus Hant

Professor Simon Wessely, of King’s College, had this to say about Claus Hant’s Young Hitler:

'Historians agree that the Hitler who came back from the Great War was a very different creature from the one who joined up – but why? Using an intriguing blend of historical scholarship and poetic licence Claus Hant suggests that the origins of Hitler’s diabolical mission and character lie in his treatment for a hysterical condition in Pasewalk Military Hospital at the end of the war. Hant constructs a circumstantial but plausible case to explain how an incompetent, irritating Austrian down and out was transformed into a charismatic leader who believed he was touched by providence.'

Professor Wessely is Vice Dean of the Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College, London – one of the world’s largest and most reputable teaching and research centres in mental health related sciences. He is also head of the Department of Psychological Medicine and the Director of King’s Centre for Military Health research, as well as Civilian Consultant Advisor in Psychiatry to the British Army.

Posted by The Watchman at 15:00
Comment

---

http://www.quartetbooks.co.uk/blog.html

haven't read it, just thought it was worth noting and that some of you might find it interesting.

edit.

"Teach them to think. Work against the government." – Wittgenstein.
vanlose kid

Previous

Return to General Discussion