How Bad Is Global Warming?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: How Bad Is Global Warming?

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:43 am

Bendy is from Queensland, a state in the North of Australia with a tropical wet climate along its central and northern coastline. In fact that coastline has some of the heaviest rainfall in Australia.

Right now that area should be in the midst of a tropical wet season but its had severe bushfires and insane levels of low humidity recently. The bushfires were unprecedented, occurring in what should be some of the wettest country in Australia.

Even now there's at least 20 still burning after all the recent rain.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/current/m ... mary.shtml

Queensland in November 2018: Exceptional heat along the east coast at the end of the month

Extreme heat affected much of the east coast in the last week of November, with record breaking maximum and minimum temperatures at many locations. More than 140 bushfires were burning across the State in the last week of the month. Rainfall was above average in the west and southwest, while much of the eastern half of the State was drier than usual for November.
Extreme heat in the last week

Queensland had its fourth-warmest November on record in terms of mean temperature, with an anomaly of 1.42 °C above the long-term average
Exceptional heat affected eastern Queensland during the last week of the month, with many locations exceeding (some by a large margin) their highest November temperature on record; in some places it was the highest for any month
The highest recorded temperature was 45.2 °C at Mount Stuart, near Townsville, on the 26th
Heatwaves are defined as three or more days of high maximum and minimum temperature that are unusual for a location
During this event, many locations reported extremely high temperatures for a number of days, even exceeding the previous record for consecutive hot days
The extended heatwave period also resulted in some locations reporting their highest November mean daily maximum temperature on record or in several decades
Coupled with very hot days, the heatwave brought record high overnight (daily minimum) temperatures as well, with some locations reporting their warmest November night on record
Numerous sites reported their highest November mean daily minimum temperature on record or in several decades
A number of sites, including Cairns, Mackay and Proserpine, also had their highest November mean temperature on record

Wetter than usual in the west and southwest; dry in the east

November rainfall was above average in the west and southwest, while much of the eastern half of the State was drier than usual; near-average falls were recorded elsewhere
Extensive thunderstorm and shower activity produced moderate falls over southwest and southern Queensland on the 7th and 8th
Thunderstorms developed along a surface trough that extended from the northwest through the State's central interior to the southeast, and produced moderate to locally heavy falls on the 18th and 19th
Further moderate falls were recorded in western, southern and eastern Queensland between the 21st and 23rd

Bushfires

From the 26th to the end of the month, more than 140 fires were burning across eastern Queensland
The most significant fires were at Mount Larcom (west of Gladstone), Eungella and Finch Hatton west of Mackay, Agnes Water (Deepwater/Round Hill), Carnarvon National Park, Stanwell and Gracemere (west of Rockhampton), Molangul (west northwest of Bundaberg) and North Stradbroke Island. However many more areas were affected to some extent

Severe thunderstorms

Severe thunderstorms affected southeast Queensland on the 17th, with hail up to 2.6 cm in diameter reported from Lake Wivenhoe
On the 27th, severe thunderstorms developed over the north tropical coast, with Lucinda Point recording wind gusts up to 124 km/h

Joe Hillshoist

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby BenDhyan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:02 am

G'day Joe.. :thumbsup
Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:48 am

Hey mate. How's it hanging?
Joe Hillshoist

Postby BenDhyan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:55 pm

Wouldn't be dead for quids mate...
Ben D
BenDhyan

Postby liminalOyster » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:47 am

After 30 Years Studying Climate, Scientist Declares: "I've Never Been as Worried as I Am Today"
Common DreamsDecember 13, 2018

And colleague says "global warming" no longer strong enough term. "Global heating is technically more correct because we are talking about changes in the energy balance of the planet."

Environmental protesters take part in a Greenpeace-organized march to call for the political and economic reforms needed to combat climate change while the COP24 summit takes place in Katowice, Poland. (Photo: Martyn Aim/Getty Images)

Declaring that after three decades of studying the climate he's "never been as worried" about the future of the planet as he is today, Hans Joachim Schellnhuber—founding director of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research in Germany—warned that even as extreme weather wreaks havoc across the globe and experts issue one terrifying prediction after another, political leaders are still refusing to confront the climate crisis with the necessary urgency.

"Global heating is technically more correct because we are talking about changes in the energy balance of the planet. The risks are compounding all the time. It stands to reason that the sooner we can take action, the quicker we can rein them in."
—Richard Betts, University of Exeter

"I've worked on this for 30 years and I've never been as worried as I am today," Schellnhuber declared during the COP24 climate summit in Poland, arguing that even the language commonly used to describe the changing state of the climate doesn't sufficiently convey the enormity of the crisis.

"Global warming doesn't capture the scale of destruction. Speaking of hothouse Earth is legitimate," added Schellnhuber, who co-authored a "terrifying" study warning that humanity may be just 1°C away from irreversible planetary catastrophe.

Richard Betts, professor of climate impacts at the University of Exeter, agreed with Schellnhuber's dire assessment, and argued that "global heating" is more accurate than "global warming" in describing what continued carbon emissions are doing to the climate.

"Global heating is technically more correct because we are talking about changes in the energy balance of the planet," Betts said. "The risks are compounding all the time. It stands to reason that the sooner we can take action, the quicker we can rein them in."

But Betts went on to express dismay at the suicidally slow pace at which world leaders are working to confront the crisis that—if immediate and bold action is not taken—threatens to render the planet uninhabitable for future generations.

"Things are obviously proceeding very slowly," Betts said. "As a scientist, it's frustrating to see we're still at the point when temperatures are going up and emissions are going up. I've been in this for 25 years. I hoped we'd be beyond here by now."

As world leaders refuse to ditch fossil fuels or—in the case of the Trump administration—attempt to increase production, people around the world are mobilizing around ambitious solutions like a Green New Deal, which is rapidly gaining support in the U.S. Congress.

As Common Dreams reported, the "Extinction Rebellion" movement—which is demanding that governments reduce carbon emissions to net zero by 2025—has spread to 35 countries in just six months.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/ ... i-am-today

The study on collapse they thought you should not read – yet
Posted by jembendell on July 26, 2018

A research paper concluding that climate-induced collapse is now inevitable, was recently rejected by anonymous reviewers of an academic journal.

It has been released directly by the Professor who wrote it, to promote discussion of the necessary deep adaptation to climate chaos.

“I am releasing this paper immediately, directly, because I can’t wait any longer in exploring how to learn the implications of the social collapse we now face,” explained the author Dr Bendell, a full Professor of Sustainability Leadership. deep adaptation paper

In saying the paper was not suitable for publication, one of the comments from the reviewers questioned the emotional impact that the paper might have on readers. “I was left wondering about the social implications of presenting a scenario for the future as inevitable reality, and about the responsibility of research in communicating climate change scenarios and strategies for adaptation.” wrote one of the reviewers. “As the authors pointed out, denial is a common emotional response to situations that are perceived as threatening and inescapable, leading to a sense of helplessness, inadequacy, and hopelessness and ultimately disengagement from the issue…”

That perspective is discussed in the paper as one that enables denial. Professor Bendell explains in his response to the Editor, that the response may reflect “the self-defeating hierarchical attitude towards society that many of us have in both academia and sustainability, where we censure our own exploration of a topic due to what we consider should or should not be communicated. There is both scholarship and experience on the impact of communicating about disaster, and I discuss that in the paper.” Moreover, Bendell consulted with practicing psychotherapists on both the motivational and mental health implications of this analysis and was reassured that perceptions of a collective tragic future should not in itself be a cause for depression. Instead, it could trigger transformative reflection which could be supported – and would be inevitable one day, given the inevitability of mortality for all human life.

The paper offers a new framing for beginning to make sense of the disaster we face, called “deep adaptation.” It is one that Professor Bendell proposed in a keynote lecture two years ago and has influenced community dialogue on climate change in Britain in the past two years, including in Peterborough and Newcastle as well as being used by the Dark Mountain network.

The paper “Deep Adaptation: A Map for Navigating Climate Tragedy” is downloadable as a pdf from here.

The response of Professor Bendell to the Editor of the journal follows below.

A list of resources to support people as they process this information, including emotional support is here.

A LinkedIn group on Deep Adaptation exists to support professional discussion of the topic.

Letter to the Editor of SAMPJ, Professor Carol Adams, from Professor Jem Bendell, 26th July 2018.

Dear Professor Adams,

It is an odd situation to be in as a writer, but I feel compassion for anyone reading my Deep Adaptation article on the inevitability of near term social collapse due to climate chaos! I am especially grateful for anyone taking the time to analyse it in depth and provide feedback. So, I am grateful to you arranging that and the reviewers for providing their feedback. Some of the feedback, particularly recommendations for a better introduction, were helpful. However, I am unable to work with their main requests for revisions, as they are, I believe, either impossible or inappropriate, as I will seek to explain.

I agree with Professor Rob Gray that “The journal’s constant exploration of new and challenging perspectives on how accountability and sustainability might play out in organisations ensures a stimulating source of articles, experiences and ideas.” It is why I was pleased to guest edit an issue last year and bring critical perspectives on leadership to its readership. However, the topic of inevitable collapse from climate change is so challenging it is not surprising it didn’t find support from the anonymous peer reviewers.

I would have had difficulty finding motivation for undertaking a complete re-write given the conclusion of the paper – that the premise of the “sustainable business” field that the journal is part of is no longer valid. Indeed, the assumptions about progress and stability that lead us to stay in academia in the field of management studies are also now under question.

The first referee questioned “to which literature (s) does this article actually contribute” and stated that “the research question or gap that you intend to address must be drawn from the literature,” continuing that “to join the conversation, you need to be aware of the current conversation in the field, which can be identified by reviewing relevant and recent articles published in these journals.” That is the standard guidance I use with my students and it was both amusing and annoying to read that feedback after having dozens of peer reviewed articles published over the last 20 years. The problem with that guidance is when the article is challenging the basis of the field and where there are not any other articles exploring or accepting the same premise. For instance, there are no articles in either SAMPJ or Organisation and Environment that explore implications for business practice or policy of a near term inevitable collapse due to environmental catastrophe (including those that mention or address climate adaptation). That isn’t surprising, because the data hasn’t been so conclusive on that until the last couple of years.

It is surprising therefore that the first reviewer says “the paper does not contain any new or significant information. The paper reiterates what has already been told by many studies.” The reviewer implies therefore that the paper is about climate change being a big problem. But the article doesn’t say that. It says that we face an unsolvable predicament and great tragedy. When the reviewer says “There are not clear contributions that can be derived from the article” then I wonder whether that is wilful blindness, as the article is saying that the basis of the field is now untenable.

At a couple of points, I attempted to cut through the unemotional way that research is presented. Or instance, when I directly address the reader about the implications of the analysis for their own likely hunger and safety, it is to elicit an emotional response. I say in the text why I express myself in that way and that although it is not typical in some journals the situation we face suggests to me that we do try to communicate emotively. The reviewer comments “the language used is not appropriate for a scholarly article.”

The second reviewer summarises the paper as “the introduction of deep adaptation as an effective response to climate change” which suggests to me a fundamental misunderstanding despite it being made clear throughout the paper. There is no “effective” response. The reviewer also writes “I am not sure that the extensive presentation of climate data supports the core argument of the paper in a meaningful way.” Yet the summary of science is the core of the paper as everything then flows from the conclusion of that analysis. Note that the science I summarise is about what is happening right now, rather than models or theories of complex adaptive systems which the reviewer would have preferred.

One piece of feedback from the 2nd reviewer is worth quoting verbatim:

“The authors stress repeatedly that “climate-induced societal collapse is now inevitable” as if that was a factual statement… I was left wondering about the social implications of presenting a scenario for the future as inevitable reality, and about the responsibility of research in communicating climate change scenarios and strategies for adaptation. As the authors pointed out, denial is a common emotional response to situations that are perceived as threatening and inescapable, leading to a sense of helplessness, inadequacy, and hopelessness and ultimately disengagement from the issue…”

This perspective is one I discuss in some detail in the paper, as one that enables denial. It reflects the self-defeating hierarchical attitude towards society that many of us have in both academia and sustainability, where we censure our own exploration of a topic due to what we consider should or should not be communicated. There is both scholarship and experience on the impact of communicating about disaster, and I discuss that in the paper.

The trauma from assessing our situation with climate change has led me to become aware of and drop some of my past preoccupations and tactics. I realise it is time to fully accept my truth as I see it, even if partially formed and not polished yet for wider articulation. I know that academia involves as much a process of wrapping up truth as unfolding it. We wrap truth in disciplines, discrete methodologies, away from the body, away from intuition, away from the collective, away from the everyday. So as that is my truth then I wish to act on it as well, and not keep this analysis hidden in the pursuit of academic respect. Instead, I want to share it now as a tool for shifting the quality of conversations that I need to have. Therefore, I have decided to publish it simply as an IFLAS Occasional Paper.

The process has helped me realise that I need to relinquish activities that I no longer have passion for, in what I am experiencing as a dramatically new context. Therefore, I must step back from the Editorial team of the journal. Thank you for having involved me and congratulations on it now being in the top ten journals in business, management and accounting.

Please pass on my thanks to the reviewers. On my website http://www.jembendell.com I will be listing some links to articles, podcasts, videos and social networks that are helping people explore and come to terms with a realisation of near term collapse (and even extinction), which they may be interested in.

Yours sincerely,

Jem Bendell

https://jembendell.wordpress.com/2018/0 ... -read-yet/
"It's not rocket surgery." - Elvis
liminalOyster

Postby DrEvil » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:30 am

MacCruiskeen » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:22 am wrote:Thanks, Dr Evil. I'll read that tomorrow. McPherson himself keeps saying he hopes he's wrong.

Meanwhile, accelerating climate collapse is the unspoken background to every damn word we write here.

How are the insects doing in Finland? Asking for a German flower who is looking for a butterfly, or even a bee.

Pretty sure Rocketman is our resident professional Finn. I'm from Norway (and for the record we have more lakes than Finland :yay ), but here at least I have noticed a distinct lack of annoying creepy crawlies lately. They're still around, but not nearly as frequently as they used to be.

We did have one really weird episode in early autumn when all the birds went ballistic on the window insulation for two weeks straight. The rubber insulation around the frames of all the windows that were open is almost gone from birds going full tilt at it. Could be they just figured it for good nest material, but it's never happened before. It almost felt like starving people eating shoe leather.
"I only read American. I want my fantasy pure." - Dave
DrEvil

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:36 pm

DrEvil » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:30 am wrote:
MacCruiskeen » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:22 am wrote:Thanks, Dr Evil. I'll read that tomorrow. McPherson himself keeps saying he hopes he's wrong.

Meanwhile, accelerating climate collapse is the unspoken background to every damn word we write here.

How are the insects doing in Finland? Asking for a German flower who is looking for a butterfly, or even a bee.

Pretty sure Rocketman is our resident professional Finn. I'm from Norway (and for the record we have more lakes than Finland :yay ), but here at least I have noticed a distinct lack of annoying creepy crawlies lately. They're still around, but not nearly as frequently as they used to be.

We did have one really weird episode in early autumn when all the birds went ballistic on the window insulation for two weeks straight. The rubber insulation around the frames of all the windows that were open is almost gone from birds going full tilt at it. Could be they just figured it for good nest material, but it's never happened before. It almost felt like starving people eating shoe leather.

O Lord, I did it again...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41004&p=663469&hilit=+Finn#p663469

:ohno: I will now do penance by swimming the length of Europe's deepest lake :yay: , even at the risk of succumbing to the world's most famous tourist scam scary monster. :yay: Match that, Fin Norway!
Proof

(Thanks to reading Knausgaard, I now know that Bergen is even more rainsoaked than Glasgow. Now, that's an achievement.)

:trippin:
Last edited by MacCruiskeen on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby MacCruiskeen » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:57 pm

I just used up the remainder of my year's pensum of smilies there.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby DrEvil » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:50 pm

No worries, one Nordic country is pretty much the same as the others (with minor variations. Quick stereotyping: Norway - dimwitted rednecks, Sweden - uptight and slightly authoritarian, Denmark - laid back and happy, Iceland - batshit crazy, Finland - drunk on cheap Russian vodka and holed up in a sauna not talking to each other). If it wasn't for the EU we would probably be in a union by now.

I used to live in Bergen btw. Lovely city, and the only place I've ever been that had vending machines for umbrellas.
DrEvil

Postby Cordelia » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:45 am

DrEvil » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:50 am wrote:No worries, one Nordic country is pretty much the same as the others (with minor variations. Quick stereotyping: Norway - dimwitted rednecks, Sweden - uptight and slightly authoritarian, Denmark - laid back and happy, Iceland - batshit crazy, Finland - drunk on cheap Russian vodka and holed up in a sauna not talking to each other). If it wasn't for the EU we would probably be in a union by now.

Invändning! Uptight I agree, but only slightly authoritarian? I'm a little offended. :wink

Many years ago for Christmas, my ex gave me...

(To acknowledge I should have served up a plate of cold lutefisk w/a warm bottle of Motörhead Bastards lager to wash it down.)

Another weekend with downpours. I don't remember the last day we saw some sun.

Drenched city: 2018 is now Washington’s wettest year ever recorded.

By Jason Samenow and Ian Livingston

December 15

(This article, originally published early Saturday morning, was updated in the late afternoon and evening.)

An unprecedented series of drenching rain storms, culminating in this weekend’s soaking, has catapulted 2018 to the wettest year on record in Washington. This year’s rainfall tally shoves aside the previous top mark which stood for nearly 130 years.

The steady rain Friday night into Saturday elevated 2018’s total past the previous record of 61.33 inches set in 1889. The National Weather Service announced the record was surpassed at 6:26 a.m. Saturday. After that, more than another inch of rain came down, and Saturday eclipsed the previous Dec. 15 rainfall record of 1.38 inches from 1901.

An additional inch or so of rain could fall through Sunday, pushing 2018 further ahead of historically wet years of the past. Weather records in Washington date back to 1871.

More...https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... 49c65206e1

It did but today looks promising.
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby DrEvil » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:06 pm

Are you mad? You can't have lutefisk with just lager! You need copious amounts of Aquavit too. The trick is to get the lutefisk down as fast as possible and then get so drunk that you can't remember it the next day (actually, that goes for most Norwegian "cuisine").

Alternatively, just skip the lutefisk and go straight for the smalahove.

Recipe:
1. Grab a sheep
2. Decapitate it
3. Roast the head with a blowtorch until the fur is gone
4. Boil until you're sure it's dead
5. Split the head down the middle and serve with turnips, potatoes and booze
DrEvil

Postby Cordelia » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:18 am

Are you mad? You can't have lutefisk with just lager! You need copious amounts of Aquavit too

Thanks DrEvil, you can understand how making kids eat it with only milk to wash it down was child abuse.

But damn, no smalahove on our Christmas smorgasbord; Only the turnips and potatoes (over-boiled and unseasoned) side dishes. Now I understand why my grandmother/aunts hated the Norwegians --they were jealous of them serving up more creatively torturous food starting early in life.

ImageImage

Edit to keep post on topic...

Global warming threatens breeding grounds of cod fish

By Zhao Ying
2018-12-12

Rapid climate change in the Northeast Atlantic and the Arctic is posing a threat to some of the world's largest fish populations, according to a new study.

European scientists have found that increasing CO2 emissions will deteriorate the suitability of current breeding grounds for both the Atlantic cod and the polar cod.

The polar cod prefers to spawn in cold water between 0℃ and 1.5℃, similar to their relative the Atlantic cod. As more CO2 dissolves in the ocean, the water becomes more acidic, making it hard for the fish to breed.

Researchers found that the death or malformation of codfish eggs would occur if the temperate rises in small increments, and the embryos won't survive at a pH level of 7.7.

They concluded that the chances of survival for the offspring of codfish species will be rather slim if efforts to limit the temperature increase to 1.5°C, in line with the Paris Climate Agreement, fall through.

Apart from that, if the ocean water continues to get warmer and more acidic, both the Atlantic cod and the polar cod might be forced to swim further north in search of more suitable habitats. Their population will sharply decrease.

More...https://news.cgtn.com/news/3d3d674d7855 ... are_p.html
Last edited by Cordelia on Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest sin is to be unconscious. ~ Carl Jung

We may not choose the parameters of our destiny. But we give it its content. ~ Dag Hammarskjold 'Waymarks'
Cordelia

Postby DrEvil » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:57 pm

Norway has nothing on Sweden in that regard. One word: Surströmming.

When apartment buildings actually ban you from opening the tin indoors you know it's bad. :frightened:

Anyway, on topic:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... perts-warn

UN climate accord 'inadequate' and lacks urgency, experts warn

Agreement will fail to halt devastating rise in global temperature, say scientists
Fiona Harvey in Katowice Sun 16 Dec 2018 15.25 GMT

The world has been put on notice that its best efforts so far will fail to halt the devastation of climate change, as countries came to a partial agreement at UN talks that failed to match up to the challenges faced.

Leading figures in climate science and economics said much more must be done, and quickly, to stave off the prospect of dangerous levels of global warming.

Nicholas Stern, the former World Bank chief economist and author of a seminal review of the economics of climate change, said: “It is clear that the progress we are making is inadequate, given the scale and urgency of the risks we face. The latest figures show carbon dioxide emissions are still rising. A much more attractive, clean and efficient path for economic development and poverty reduction is in our hands.”

Johan Rockstrom, director designate at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, said: “My biggest concern is that the UN talks failed to align ambitions with science. We continue to follow a path that will take us to a very dangerous 3-4C warmer world within this century. Extreme weather events hit people across the planet already, at only 1C of warming.”

The two-week-long UN talks in Poland ended with clarity over the “rulebook” that will govern how the Paris agreement of 2015 is put into action, but the crucial question of how to lift governments’ targets to reduce greenhouse gas emissions was left unanswered.

Countries will meet again next year. The annual climate talks have been going on since 1992 when the UN framework convention on climate change was signed, binding governments to avoid dangerous levels of climate change. That agreement followed years of scientific predictions on global warming, culminating in a landmark report in 1988 that warned of the dangers.

Since then, the warnings have grown clearer and scientists have eliminated the possibility that the global warming observed in recent decades has been due to natural forces. It is a manmade problem arising from the use of fossil fuels, which has poured the heat-trapping gas carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.

On current national emissions-cutting targets, the world would reach more than 3C of warming, scientists say. Two months ago the world’s leading body of climate scientists, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, found that even 1.5C of warming would cause sea level rises, coral reef die-off, extinction of species and droughts, floods, storms and heatwaves that would threaten the world’s stability.

Levels of warming greater than that would devastate parts of the globe, wiping out agricultural productivity, melting the Arctic ice cap and rendering many areas uninhabitable.

Some businesses called on governments to act. Stephanie Pfeifer, chief executive of the Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change, which represents investors with more than $21tn (£16.7tn) in funds, said: “It is vital that the world’s governments recognise the serious challenge posed by climate change and urgently scale up their efforts, both at a national level and globally. It is only through signals such as these that investors will have the confidence necessary to allocate the required capital to the low-carbon and climate-resilient transition.”

Next year’s negotiations, in Chile, are likely to focus on narrow technical issues. But the 2020 conference, which may be held in the UK or Italy, will be the biggest since the landmark Paris agreement of 2015. There, countries will have to come up with plans for cutting emissions drastically in order to avert a climate crisis that scientists say will cause greater economic, social and natural disruption than anything in humanity’s history.

Regarding the bolded bit: fucking delusional horseshit. They're still obsessed with the idea of infinite growth in a finite system. It's like their brains shut down whenever things get too close to their bottom line. Dear investors: You're the fucking problem. Please go kill yourself.
DrEvil

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:08 am

How right-wing nationalism fuels climate denial
Washington anti-Trump protest
DW: Mr. Hultman, what link have you found between climate change denial and politics?

Martin Hultman: Until the mid-1980s, there was a really strong consensus between politicians and scientists that climate change is really acute and that we have to do something about it.

So at that point, politicians with various political ideologies, from Ronald Reagan to Margaret Thatcher and Mikhail Gorbachev, actually got together and thought of this as a global threat to humanity. They agreed that we have to set up bodies of interdisciplinary research and policies and to tackle this threat together.

Around the same time, the extractive industries — the oil and coal industries — started to fund climate change denial research to promote their own interests. They set up various think tanks, like the US-based Heartland Institute, and started opposing climate change research.

Martin Hultman
Martin Hultman says the fossil fuel industry has funded climate denial groups with links to the far right
That type of counterfactual climate research had a huge impact on politics, especially the Tea Party movement in the US.

Your research suggests conservative, white males are more likely to be climate change deniers — is that correct?

Yes. There is a package of values and behaviors connected to a form of masculinity that I call "industrial breadwinner masculinity." They see the world as separated between humans and nature. They believe humans are obliged to use nature and its resources to make products out of them.

And they have a risk perception that nature will tolerate all types of waste. It's a risk perception that doesn't think of nature as vulnerable and as something that is possible to be destroyed.

For them, economic growth is more important than the environment.

Read more: Can we consume less without wrecking the economy?

We've seen in surveys that males with such a value background — a conservative value background — also seem to pick up climate change denial values or arguments more often.

Climate deniers tend to be white, male and conservative
Climate deniers tend to be white, male and conservative

Has the rise of right-wing nationalism in Europe fed climate change denialism?

Definitely. And the other way around as well.

The increase of climate change denial has also contributed to the growth of right-wing nationalists, because there are some overlapping features. For example, not wanting to deal with global issues and only thinking in nationalist terms.

Another overlap is that both right-wing nationalists and climate change deniers are portraying the elites as the people who are lying. They describe the researchers and UN delegates as the elite that is against the people.

And then, I think very importantly, there is also an overlap in funding and financing which might not be as visible. But it is there. Funding from extractive industries also goes into right-wing think tanks, which are creating this type of distrust of climate science, which then also fuels this type of right-wing nationalist climate change denial.

Hultman says the oil and coal industry has been financing counterfactual climate research
Hultman says the oil and coal industry has been financing counterfactual climate research

What's in it for the extractive industries?

It's a strategy from the top, in the sense that they want to keep their influence and don't want to be challenged by the need to change societies along the lines of climate change research.

Read more: Climate change: Fake news, real fallout

There's a kind of alliance between the CEOs of the extractive industries, politicians financed by those types of companies and the workers, who are dependent on these extractive industries for their paycheck.

The Heartland Institute and the Polish Union of Solidarity recently made a statement together at COP24 and this is truly an example of these two groups coming together with a very right-wing nationalist political agenda attached to it.

Are you worried about this kind of alliance?

Yes. What worries me with the latest development of climate change deniers coming together with right-wing nationalists is that they are moving the debate into nationalist terms. But we are dealing with a really serious issue here and we need to deal with it as a global community, not as individual nationalist states.

What can we do to counter this trend?

I think that the hidden interests of sector industries and fossil fuel industries have not been dealt with in the political community enough.

There has been this idea that if only all players are part of the negotiation and are sitting at one table, like at the COP negotiations, then the outcome will be as good as possible.

Read more: Lobbyists push fossil fuels at climate talks

So right now, the biggest coal companies are sponsoring the COP24 event in Poland and these types of extractive industries have been part of the negotiations for quite a long time.

What we need to do is expose how they have influenced the negotiations in a negative way for a really long time and that they are really there to promote their own interests, not to save the planet.

Martin Hultman is an associate professor of science, technology and environmental studies at the Center for Studies of Climate Change Denialism at Chalmers University of Technology in Sweden. The interview was conducted by Anne-Sophie Brändlin. It has been edited for length and clarity.

Global Ideas COP24 Protest
'We're running out of time' on climate change
Time is running out

The protesters' symbol was a clock to signal to those meeting at the United Nations climate change conference (COP24) that time is running out if the world is to limit global warming to within 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit). Negotiations at the COP have been tough, with disagreements on financing for developing countries and on how states should report their emissions cuts.
https://www.dw.com/en/how-right-wing-na ... a-46699510
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:03 pm

9 AGs are suing to stop trump from handing the Atlantic Coast over to oil and gas companies
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion