How Bad Is Global Warming?

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: How Bad Is Global Warming?

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:16 am

Team Trump Ponders Climate ‘Engineering’
April 5, 2017

Exclusive: Rather than take prudent steps to reduce the release of global-warming gases, some Trump advisers are pondering risky gambles to re-engineer the Earth’s climate, as Jonathan Marshall explains.

By Jonathan Marshall

While President Trump floors the accelerator to speed up global warming through executive orders and appointments of notorious climate deniers to his administration, more and more scientists are pinning their hopes on “Plan B”: planetary-wide interventions to engineer ways to avoid global climate disruption. But critics warn that such a prescription, however alluring, may be as bad as the disease.

President Donald Trump giving his weekly address on Feb. 25, 2017. (Screen shot from Whitehouse.gov)
Now, to compound the irony, members of Trump’s inner circle are touting climate engineering as a cheap way to insure the planet against harm without any need to change lifestyles or curb the oil and coal industries. They resemble compulsive eaters who count on frequent liposuction rather than maintaining strict diets to keep their body fat in check and stay healthy.

Evidence of climate disruption is all around us, including record-high temperatures, record-low sea ice, the die-off of major coral reefs, acidification of the oceans, drought-induced famines, and more extreme storm damage.

At the same time, climate scientists warn that barring breakthroughs in energy technology and adoption of cleaner transportation, industrial and agricultural processes, the world faces severe risks of economic and social disruption over the next half century from potentially irreversible warming.

Such considerations helped motivate more than 100 scientists and policy makers to meet in Washington, D.C., late last month to discuss some largely untested ways to prevent runaway warming by limiting the Earth’s absorption of solar radiation. These measures could include using aircraft to release tiny particles into the upper atmosphere to reflect sunlight, or using fleets of boats to spray the air with saline mist to promote the formation of reflective clouds.

Several prominent Trump supporters are big boosters of such climate engineering. For example, Newt Gingrich, the President’s close adviser and former House Speaker, gushed that it “holds forth the promise of addressing global warming concerns for just a few billion dollars a year. Instead of penalizing ordinary Americans, we would have an option to address global warming by rewarding scientific innovation.”

And Secretary of State Rex Tillerson told investors in 2015, when he was still CEO of Exxon Mobil, “Our plan B has always been grounded in our beliefs around the continued evolution of technology and engineered solutions to address and react to whatever the climate system and its outcomes present to us.”

Dangerous Gamble

Responsible scientists, on the other hand, have little faith in untested proposals to re-engineer the earth’s climate system, even if they back further research into such stop-gap measures.

President Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida, whose future is threatened by rising sea levels. (Photo from maralagoclub.com)
“Climate intervention is no substitute for reductions in carbon dioxide emissions and adaptation efforts aimed at reducing the negative consequences of climate change,” concluded a two-volume study released by the National Academy of Sciences in 2015. “However, as our planet enters a period of changing climate never before experienced in recorded human history, interest is growing in the potential for deliberate intervention in the climate system to counter climate change.”

Strategies to reflect more solar radiation, it added, “could rapidly cool the planet’s surface but pose environmental and other risks that are not well understood and therefore should not be deployed at climate-altering scales; more research is needed to determine if [such] approaches could be viable in the future.”

In 2013, the American Meteorological Society adopted a policy statement, which declared that climate engineering “must be viewed with caution because manipulating the Earth system has considerable potential to trigger adverse and unpredictable consequences.”

Among those consequences could be severe weather changes for different nations and peoples, “thus raising legal, ethical, diplomatic, and national security concerns.” For example, shifting storm and precipitation patterns could dry out some regions and promote famines while subjecting others to devastating floods. The end result might not seem so promising to Gingrich if the Midwest turned into a dust bowl.

Researchers have also warned that one popular proposal — lacing the upper atmosphere with reflective sulfur dioxide particles — could deplete the Earth’s ozone layer, increasing the penetration of destructive ultraviolet radiation.

Tinkering with the atmosphere to reflect solar radiation could also “distract the public and policy makers from critically needed efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and build society’s capacity to deal with unavoidable climate impacts,” the AMS statement continued.

If CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere were allowed to grow, continued ocean acidification would have a devastating effect on biological systems. And if the world ever let up on its solar radiation management, for whatever reason, global warming would rapidly accelerate in the carbon-rich atmosphere.

Who Would Decide?

Perhaps the single biggest obstacle to climate engineering is not technical but political: who would govern its deployment? Could a mad billionaire take matters into his own hands? Could rogue nations weaponize the technology, trying to fine tune solar radiation to disrupt the climate of their enemies?

The image of the Earth rising over the surface of the moon, a photograph taken by the first U.S. astronauts to orbit the moon.
Rutgers University climatologist Alan Robock has even warned about the increased risk of nuclear war: “Because if countries can’t agree on what the temperature should be, and somebody is mad at somebody else for controlling their climate, the situation could escalate into hostilities.”

Harvard physicist David Keith, one of the scientific community’s leading proponents of further climate engineering research, insists that the rapid pace of climate change — and the failure of governments to address it in time — make it imperative to look seriously at every option for preventing runaway global warming.

But he and his colleagues are quick to agree with critics that “fear of solar geoengineering is justified” and that “it would be reckless to deploy solar geoengineering based on today’s limited research.” While stoutly defending the need for more research, they add, “if Trump were to push solar geoengineering while gutting climate science, we believe the only appropriate response is active resistance.”
https://consortiumnews.com/2017/04/05/t ... gineering/
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Iamwhomiam » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:46 pm

Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby 82_28 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:39 pm

It's good enough to wipe Mar-A-Lago off the map come hurricane season!
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby SonicG » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:40 am

Well...what happens when corporate interests start to swing the other way regarding global warming?
Taken together with the above climate engineering "opportunities", it is all rather logical if you happen to believe, that, yeah, we are looking at imminent crisis...

There’s a Leadership Vacuum on Climate Change. Business Should Fill It
Andrew Winston

This Earth Day is different. The world’s largest economy is governed by a president who has called global warming an “expensive hoax” on multiple occasions. He has threatened to “cancel” the Paris climate agreement, and appointed a head of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Scott Pruitt, who as recently as last month has reported not believing that human activity or carbon dioxide are primary contributors to climate change, contradicting 150 years of basic physics and decades of scientific consensus. The Trump administration has proposed cutting the EPA’s budget by over 30%, and the agency’s staff by 15,000 jobs. This major shift in the executive branch’s attitude toward climate change leaves a big void in the U.S.’s — and the world’s — environmental stewardship, one that the private sector must fill.

We could endlessly debate the merits of the costs and benefits of specific regulations, but at the macro level, a law as important as the Clean Air Act not only is not expensive — it’s probably the most profitable regulation in human history. Some sectors and companies bear more of the up-front expense of tackling carbon emissions, with the energy sector being the most obvious one. But many studies have estimated that the reduction in health care costs saves the economy, and thus all companies and citizens within that economy, tens of trillions of dollars. And that’s just direct health care benefits. There’s much more to keeping the economy clean. It’s increasingly strange to have to say this, but workers struggling to breathe are not productive, places without access to safe water, like Flint, Michigan — not to mention 3,000 other U.S. counties where lead rates are even higher — have trouble building a strong economy, and people in cities fighting rising seas or extreme drought do not make great customers. In short, the economy can’t thrive if people and the planet suffer.

complete at
https://hbr.org/2017/04/theres-a-leader ... ium=social

A Healthy Worker, is a Productive Worker !

"a poiminint tidal wave in a notion of dynamite"
SonicG

Postby Karmamatterz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:57 am

Are there any happy or healthy workers in communist countries? The second photo looks to be from a Chinese electronics factory. Before even addressing environmental quality, consider what it's like working in what is essentially a slave state? i.e. communist China.

places without access to safe water, like Flint, Michigan — not to mention 3,000 other U.S. counties where lead rates are even higher — have trouble building a strong economy,

Flint's economy has been a trainwreck since the late 1970's. Anybody who grew up in Michigan (I did) could tell you all about it and other Michigan cities like Muskegon and Saginaw. Climate change had zero impact on Flint's water situ. Negligence and stupidity by politicians had everything to do with it. The author of that article flounders all over with a bit of this and that. Just my two cents, but if a new coal burning plant was built in/near Flint and it created new jobs I doubt the residents would be protesting the impact of coal burning.
Karmamatterz

Postby PufPuf93 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:54 pm

Karmamatterz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:57 am wrote:Are there any happy or healthy workers in communist countries? The second photo looks to be from a Chinese electronics factory. Before even addressing environmental quality, consider what it's like working in what is essentially a slave state? i.e. communist China.

places without access to safe water, like Flint, Michigan — not to mention 3,000 other U.S. counties where lead rates are even higher — have trouble building a strong economy,

Flint's economy has been a trainwreck since the late 1970's. Anybody who grew up in Michigan (I did) could tell you all about it and other Michigan cities like Muskegon and Saginaw. Climate change had zero impact on Flint's water situ. Negligence and stupidity by politicians had everything to do with it. The author of that article flounders all over with a bit of this and that. Just my two cents, but if a new coal burning plant was built in/near Flint and it created new jobs I doubt the residents would be protesting the impact of coal burning.

I mentioned earlier in this thread I had worked on the development of various biomass energy facilities back in the late 80s and into the mid 1990s.

One of the power plants was Genesee Power Station located in Flint. It was different from the four other wood fired plants I worked on in MI. I initially was project manager for the management consulting firm that did the wood fuel supply study for project finance circa 1990-91. One way the Flint project differed was that most fuel was expected to be what is classified as "urban wood waste". Flint was permitted to burn much "dirtier" fuel than any other wood energy project I ever worked on (and I did detailed studies for 16 plants in CA, MI, and various New England states and short specific looks at about 15 more projects, mostly working for developers working with banks or for the banks. The tendency was to work for developers and then be on call for the lenders). It was the only such plant permitted to burn urban demolition materials; other plants permits did not allow demolition or painted nor treated wood nor wood with various binding agents (like OSB or particleboard). It was still a problem in processing the waste for fuel in removing contaminants or refusing heavily contaminated wood waste. The chips from contaminated wood still waste needed to be blended to meet the looser specs for fuel input and the resultant ash and emissions.

In 1996 as an independent consultant I reviewed the project again when a major insurance company paid nearly $30 million for 1/4 of the project for their investment portfolio. The power plant and an associated wood fuel business that among various activities operated a number of wood waste collection facilities from Detroit to north of Flint. One struggle that was not going well was the cleaning of the most contaminated wood. It was cheap fuel because large "tip" fees were collected, There was a facility constructed in Flint where the waste was inspected on delivery and some loads rejected, hand sorted on a conveyor, partially chipped and screen of fines, ran over a magnet, and put through a wash tank, then dried, re-chipped and screened for size where fines were removed and still the result to be blended with "clean" wood waste was "dirty". The fines screened out and the sludge from the wash and large early removals before any screening had to go to a hazardous waste landfill. Even with the effective subsidy from the "tips" received and all these cleaning steps, the facility could not meet design specs. Last year because of this thread I found that the Flint power plant is still operating and allowed to burn tires and used rr ties and utility poles as part of the fuel mix and the permits have been altered to allow much dirtier fuels in general compared to what stated when constructed.

This demonstrates that Flint is an environmental ghetto as far as industrial development.

The closest wood power plant in area for procurement from that experience in Flint was in Fitchburg (actually Westminister), MA just west of Boston. The plant was similar in size and technology (traveling grate for burning fuel and electro-static precipitator for emissions, similar monitoring and processing, and storage systems for fuel and ash) but the allowed fuels and resultant ash and emissions were more strict. Only "clean" wood waste (no painted, treated, demolition, etc). The fuel was from pallets, land clearing (lots of stumps), tree services, and wood product manufacture and untreated or painted wood from new construction. The fuel was not stored nor processed in the open but "housed" to keep out of sight and to prevent off site movement.

Another wood power plant was located in an industrial park Cadillac MI developed concurrent with Flint. Similar to Flint I was project manager of the fuel (and timber) supply study for project finance and later consulted on a major transaction. Cadillac Generating Station differed from most other wood power plants in that there was like Fitchburg a covered fuel storage area because of the neighbors. The Cadillac plant was redundant to the Flint plant except for the storage housing in Cadillac and the facility for processing "dirty" wood waste in Flint. Otherwise the design, engineering, vendors, construction was exactly the same with overlapping development partners and the same power sales agreement with Consumers Power. Wood fuel and ash standards were tighter in Cadillac than Flint. Flint was more profitable because of the large "tip" fees obtained by collecting "dirty" wood waste in Detroit Metro.

In general none of the plants I worked on truly met the promise entailed in their initial concepts but not all are "bad" projects over the long term. One thing I did notice that most of the projects I worked on two or more decades ago are the ones that still operate (Seven of 10 where I was project manager for the EIS and / or , mostly, project finance developed in California were still operating last year on biomass; one had been converted to natural gas, a majority were not operating at initial or design capacity but that is because of changing energy prices and much less commercial forest activity). Nearly half the wood plants developed in California in the aftermath of the PURPA legislation (1985-1995) no longer operate for various reasons, economic or technical. Some of this is learning curve but some also is human nature. A stated intent of a project sold (to public, regulators, investors, etc.) on "better" forest management and less open air burning of logging slash gets fueled by loggers clear cutting farmer's woodlots close to the power plants and thus logging and lower trucking costs and increasing profit top logger and power plant because of lower fuel cost.

The last project of that type I worked was the 1996 sale of part of the Flint project. I had left corporate America in 1994 to work as a university research scientist under federal grant because of general discomfort of that business world. That said, I would never do a blanket condemnation of biomass energy. There are appropriate niches but biomass or wood energy is a small part of any environmental solution. I am firmly convinced that there are situations when ecological thinning of forests is feasible (and appropriate) for fuel (or biomass in general).
PufPuf93

Postby Iamwhomiam » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:06 pm

Karmamatterz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:57 am

Things are as they are in Flint and other cities in similar situations because people who are able to invest in these areas find greater profitability elsewhere, or in other words, because they don't want to.

And hell yes, the people of Flint would rightfully and strongly object to a coal fired power plant for the few dozen jobs it would provide:

...the average 300 MW coal-fired power plant would employ 54 people in operation & maintenance on an ongoing basis. This corresponds closely with the Energy Information Administration's assessment that, in 1997, the average 300 MW coal-fired power plant had 53 employees.

PufPuf, I will respond to your comment later. I need to take time to think about it for awhile. But for now I'll just say that biomass facilities are unhealthy and utterly unnecessary.
Iamwhomiam

Postby PufPuf93 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:48 pm

Iamwhomiam » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:06 pm wrote:
Karmamatterz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:57 am

Things are as they are in Flint and other cities in similar situations because people who are able to invest in these areas find greater profitability elsewhere, or in other words, because they don't want to.

And hell yes, the people of Flint would rightfully and strongly object to a coal fired power plant for the few dozen jobs it would provide:

...the average 300 MW coal-fired power plant would employ 54 people in operation & maintenance on an ongoing basis. This corresponds closely with the Energy Information Administration's assessment that, in 1997, the average 300 MW coal-fired power plant had 53 employees.

PufPuf, I will respond to your comment later. I need to take time to think about it for awhile. But for now I'll just say that biomass facilities are unhealthy and utterly unnecessary.

Last time you said that to me in this thread you disappeared for months (so don't disappear). :hug1:

Note that I am more than capable of criticism of the biomass power plants or industry or business as evidenced above.

One cannot view a particular facility except as part of a system where choices are to be made.

Biomass alone is carbon neutral as far as burning to turn a turbine to produce energy. Biomass energy are often carbon negative in first order operation because of the fossil fuels used to build and provide fuel to a facility. But facilities do not exist in a vacuum.

Biomass has been over sold as a solution for energy problems. I would argue that specific facilities of specific size and specific fuel sources can be of benefit and produce electricity while reducing pollution and be a trickle in the wind of global climate change. Some forest on some soils that can be thinned with a biomass fuel market can greatly reduce the negative impact of catastrophic wildfire (recognizing that fire is a component of most forest ecologies). Some wood waste can be reduced and stabilized as ash by burning as fuel than going straight to landfill. To make a broad statement that "biomass facilities are unhealthy and utterly unnecessary" lacks nuance. On the other hand there is little reason especially in today's world to trust industry or regulators.

Earlier in the thread you noted that the former Klamath Falls electrical generator as a biomass plant, when it is and always has been natural gas (and is also about 8X larger at 600 Mw than any biomass plant ever constructed in the USA). You stated nano-particles cannot be removed from emissions when electrostatic precipitators have been used for wood boilers for almost 40 years, albeit considered expensive and problematic by the industry. You posted an anti-wood energy site with an ugly clear cut attributed to biomass harvest prominent. One could see that it had been logged for saw timber and the unsuitable trees and logging slash were chipped rather than burned (granted my opinion as a forester given a close look may well have been the land should not have been considered commercial timberland or that a clear cut certainly of that size is not a good idea for other environmental reasons).
PufPuf93

Postby Karmamatterz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:09 am

Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't. You might see the usual group of environmental activists out protesting. However, read this timely article in the NYT today and then consider the folks who are working at Jimmy John's for minimum wage or those unemployed and whether THEY would protest a new as clean as possible coal burning plant. I do believe in some solipsistic perspectives it's easy to not get know some people are more worried about food on the table and good, safe schools, and not focused on global warming.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/us/f ... -well&_r=0

There were plans for a $2 billion dollar investment in nearby Bay City, but that was cancelled. I wonder what kind of employment and tax base that would have created had it been built?

Not the closing of the very familiar Cobb plant in Muskegon. It was the largest "taxpayer" in the county
http://www.mlive.com/business/west-mich ... es_bc.html

I'm not a big supporter of fossil fuels, or any particular energy source. Just taking note of some conditions at play in all this. Would solar be better? Sure, but anybody who lives near the states around the Great Lakes knows solar is not a very viable option.
Karmamatterz

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:27 pm

I won't forget, I swear. Karma awaits a response too. My problem now is I do not have a word processor program to save my work and I can only write so much before getting lost, so I need a great amount of time to be able to devote to writing something legible.

I'll try my best to find a few hours tomorrow to work on it. Your thoughtful comment deserves a thoughtful response, PufPuf.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Iamwhomiam » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:47 pm

Karmamatterz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:09 am wrote:

Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't. You might see the usual group of environmental activists out protesting. However, read this timely article in the NYT today and then consider the folks who are working at Jimmy John's for minimum wage or those unemployed and whether THEY would protest a new as clean as possible coal burning plant. I do believe in some solipsistic perspectives it's easy to not get know some people are more worried about food on the table and good, safe schools, and not focused on global warming.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/us/f ... -well&_r=0

There were plans for a $2 billion dollar investment in nearby Bay City, but that was cancelled. I wonder what kind of employment and tax base that would have created had it been built?

Not the closing of the very familiar Cobb plant in Muskegon. It was the largest "taxpayer" in the county
http://www.mlive.com/business/west-mich ... es_bc.html

I'm not a big supporter of fossil fuels, or any particular energy source. Just taking note of some conditions at play in all this. Would solar be better? Sure, but anybody who lives near the states around the Great Lakes knows solar is not a very viable option.

"Maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't. You might see the usual group of environmental activists out protesting"

So all those protesting in Flint are "the usual group of environmental activists"? I think not. They seem more like outraged homeowners who were poisoned for budgetary purposes, which they had no choice in.

Karma, there is no such thing as clean coal or clean-burning coal-fired power plants. Both are a myth and much of the mercury contaminating us comes from burning coal as its particulate emissions settle where they enter and contaminate our food chain. Much of the rest of the mercury in our bodies came from eating fish. There is enough mercury in the body of every woman of child-bearing age to cause fetal damage.

Karma, why did Consumers Energy cancel the $2.3 billion coal burning power plant project cancelled? Did you read the article and the company's statement? If you did, I'm surprised you used it to complain about job loss when it relates news of thousands of new jobs being created.

After four years and an announced deferral in 2010, the Jackson-based utility company said it won't build the new coal plant as the recession and slow economic recovery have reduced customer demand for electricity. (Read the company's full statement here)

Here's the company's entire statement:
Consumers Energy announced today the cancellation of a proposed clean coal plant project near Bay City and an update of its air quality control plans, which include the anticipated suspension of operation of seven smaller units in 2015.

The utility also plans to continue to make substantial environmental investments at its five major coal-fired units. The $1.6 billion environmental program is designed to make Michigan’s air cleaner by further reducing power plant emissions. The environmental program and the anticipated suspension of operations at the seven smaller units are projected to reduce the utility’s power plant emissions by 90 percent.

John Russell, the utility’s president and chief executive officer, said the investments would boost the state’s economy as well as improve the environment.

“We expect these substantial investments will create more than 2,000 construction jobs in Michigan and provide significant emissions reductions that will continue our ongoing efforts to help make Michigan’s air the cleanest it has been in generations,” Russell said.

The utility said it was canceling the new clean coal plant project because of the same market factors that led it to defer development of the project in May 2010. Those primarily are reduced customer demand for electricity due to the recession and slow economic recovery, surplus generating capacity in the Midwest market, and lower natural gas prices linked to expanded shale gas supplies. Lower natural gas prices make new coal-fired power plants less economically attractive.

The company said its plans are in response to existing and pending federal and state environmental regulations and ongoing market conditions. The company doesn’t plan to make any significant environmental investments in its seven smaller coal-fired units.

The utility said it didn’t anticipate operating those units past Jan. 1, 2015. However, the utility also said that market conditions and the final form and timing of federal and state environmental regulations could lead it to adjust its plans for those units.

The units are: three at the J.R. Whiting Generating Complex near Luna Pier, two at the B.C. Cobb Generating Plant in Muskegon, and two at the Karn/Weadock Generating Complex near Bay City.

Russell said Consumers Energy’s long-term power supply plans include the anticipated suspension of operations at the seven smaller units. “We want customers to know they can count on us to make sure we have enough power to meet their needs,” he said, adding the utility would continue to maintain a balanced portfolio of energy resources to serve customers.

That portfolio is based on existing power plants, potential construction of new power plants, market purchases, energy efficiency, and increased renewable energy resources.

Consumers Energy began construction last month on its first wind farm, the Lake Winds Energy Park, in Mason County. That 100-megawatt facility is scheduled to begin serving customers late in 2012. It also is developing the 150-megawatt Cross Winds Energy Park in Tuscola County. That wind farm is scheduled to enter service late in 2015.

The wind farms are part of the company’s plan to invest about $6.6 billion in its utility operations through 2016 to add value to customers and improve the environment. That makes Consumers Energy one of the largest investors in the state of Michigan.

Lastly, the closing of the Cobb coal fired power plant was past due:

It has outlived its projected 50-year life span after Consumers pumped millions of dollars in upgrading and retrofitting the 320-megawatt plant the past two decades.

The community leaders should have been paying attention and should have planned long ago for the plant's eventual closing, which, btw, Consumers Energy will continue paying taxes for when it is closed, until its sold to another business or becomes a tax exempt municipal property.

Same kind of thing was true in Albany, but with their landfill. Self-inflicted hardship because no one was paying any attention.

Solar is viable nearly anywhere, whether in the arctic or in outer space.
Iamwhomiam

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:49 am

Why aren't there gas plants in rich suburbs?
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby Luther Blissett » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:54 am

Planet Breaches 410 ppm for First Time in Human History

The amount of carbon in the Earth's atmosphere is now officially off the charts as the planet last week breached the 410 parts per million (ppm) milestone for the first time in human history.

"It's a new atmosphere that humanity will have to contend with, one that's trapping more heat and causing the climate to change at a quickening rate," wrote Climate Central's Brian Kahn. "Carbon dioxide hasn't reached that height in millions of years."

The milestone was recorded Tuesday at the Mauna Loa Observatory in Hawaii by the Keeling Curve, a program of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at University of California San Diego. Since the planet reached the dangerous new normal of 400 ppm last year, scientists have warned that that the accelerated rate at which concentrations of CO2 are rising means that humanity is marching further and further past the symbolic red line towards climate chaos.

What's more, as Aarne Granlund, a graduate student researching climate change at the University of the Arctic, pointed out, the recording was taken before carbon levels are expected to reach their annual peak, meaning they could soon notch even higher.

But despite the unprecedented threat, climate action has ground to a halt in the U.S. under the leadership of President Donald Trump and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency chief Scott Pruitt, forcing campaigners and concerned citizens to take to the streets in droves to prompt the government to do something to address the threat of planetary devastation.

Saturday's March for Science saw tens of thousands of people rally in Washington, DC and across the world to send a message to the Trump administration that governance should be based on research and facts—not ideology.

Speaking at the march in San Diego, Ralph Keeling, director of the CO2 program at Scripps whose father founded the Keeling Curve, gave an impassioned speech on why legislators need to abandon the partisan effort to stymie environmental legislation, declaring: "The climate change debate has been over for decades."

Now, infused by the energy of the March for Science, campaigners are gearing up for next weekend's Peoples Climate March with a week of action that centers on creating a just transition away from fossil fuels.

"The Peoples Climate March is the next step for the March for Science, a call to get more engaged in our political system, to confront power and to demand solutions," explained May Boeve, executive director of 350.org.

"The demands we will put forward—respect for Indigenous peoples, investments in communities on the front lines of the climate crisis, transitioning from fossil fuels to 100 percent clean energy economy that works for all and more," Boeve continued, "highlight the intersections between our different struggles and the common solutions we can work for together."

Dubbed "From Truth to Justice: Earth Day to May Day 2017," the more than 50 events in the lead-up to Saturday will include strategy sessions, a massive youth convergence, the introduction of a 100 percent Clean Energy Bill in Congress and non-violent direct actions.

On Friday, activists will form "Mother Earth's red line" on the Capitol lawn to symbolize the multiple lines that must not be crossed by corporations and governments in the increasingly severe climate crisis, organizers said.

"This is about strength in unity; diverse groups of people are coming together like never before and are creating a red line of protection against capitalism, militarism and racism," said Kandi Mossett, Indigenous energy and climate campaign organizer with the Indigenous Environmental Network, one of the group's organizing the direct action. "We are here to push for solutions like Indigenous rights, divestment and renewable energy as we continue to fight for a just transition away from a fossil fuel based economy."
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:22 am

Trump To Sign Executive Order On Offshore Drilling And Marine Sanctuaries

President Trump is set to sign an executive order Friday that aims to expand offshore drilling for oil and gas, and possibly reverse the designation of some marine sanctuaries

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... anctuaries
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:34 am

Maybe all this is a plot to turn Mar-a-Lago into Stromberg's underwater lair?
Luther Blissett

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion