The creepiness that is Facebook

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: The creepiness that is Facebook

Postby 82_28 » Tue May 10, 2016 4:42 pm

Seriously?!?!?! Like I said they did the same thing with me but banned me outright. What did you say or do?

Also, you are a pro at this sort of thing :partyhat . Google the tech support number, call and tell them you disagree and that is how your daughter or something gets a hold of you and you are trying to plan a surprise party for her. Make something up. Fuck what FB wants you to say or do. I use the Internet on my own terms not theirs. But being screamed at by someone in some obviously Indian call center is good fun.
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Nordic » Tue May 10, 2016 5:31 pm

It's not worth my time. I get banned here periodically too.
"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby 82_28 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:46 pm

That's why I said you are a pro at this sort of thing! :jumping:
There is no me. There is no you. There is all. There is no you. There is no me. And that is all. A profound acceptance of an enormous pageantry. A haunting certainty that the unifying principle of this universe is love. -- Propagandhi
82_28

Postby coffin_dodger » Tue May 17, 2016 3:46 am

Here’s Why You Shouldn’t Use Facebook’s Reactions Buttons theantimedia.org May 16 2016

Belgian police are warning users not to use the Facebook Reactions feature to respond to posts if they want to protect their privacy. In February, the series of six emoticons, allowing users to express a range of emotions from anger to love, were added to the original thumbs-up option. They came in response to calls for a ‘Dislike’ button.

<snip>
The statement warns that users are simply a ‘product’ to Facebook, claiming their reactions to posts are helping the social networking giant build up a profile of them. As a result of the profiling, the site will target ads it thinks users will be more receptive to based on how they are reacting to specific posts at the time.

“By limiting the number of icons to six, Facebook is counting on you to express your thoughts more easily so that the algorithms that run in the background are more effective,” the police said. “By mouse clicks you can let them know what makes you happy.”
<snip>
more: http://theantimedia.org/shouldnt-use-facebooks-reactions/
coffin_dodger

Blog: View Blog (14)

Postby identity » Tue May 17, 2016 4:21 am

^
Thanks for that, Coffin Dodger

Surfons Tranquille.png

"En conclusion, ce sera une raison de plus de ne pas cliquer trop vite si vous voulez préserver votre vie privée."

"In conclusion, this is one more reason why you should not be in any hurry to click if you wish to preserve your privacy."

That is actually from the federal Belgian Police website! Can you imagine such a warning ever appearing on the website of a Five Eyes federal police force?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We should never forget Galileo being put before the Inquisition.
It would be even worse if we allowed scientific orthodoxy to become the Inquisition.

Richard Smith, Editor in Chief of the British Medical Journal 1991-2004,
in a published letter to Nature
identity

Postby 82_28 » Sat May 28, 2016 4:27 pm

Facebook Will Now Track You and Force Feed You Ads Even If You Don't Use It

There is no escaping Facebook’s advertising reach. The social network has announced that it will now be foisting ads on to every single person who uses third-party sites that are signed up to its advertising scheme, regardless of whether the user has a Facebook account or not.

Until now, Facebook showed ads only to its members when people landed on third-party sites that were signed up to its Audience Network ad system. That meant that it only ever bothered tracking what Facebook users did, in order to learn about them and better target advertising.

Now, though, reports the Wall Street Journal, it will use the same techniques—largely plug-in and cookies, but also Like buttons too— in order to track what everyone does when visiting those web pages. Andrew Bosworth, vice president of Facebook’s ads and business platform, explained to the Journal:

“Our buttons and plugins send over basic information about users’ browsing sessions. For non-Facebook members, previously we didn’t use it. Now we’ll use it to better understand how to target those people.”

It’s not a new model, and it’s one you’re used to already. Say you’ve spent 20 minutes browsing for a new pair of sneakers: Facebook knows you’re interested in sneakers, so plasters ads for them all over the cookery website that you’re using to look up a dinner recipe.

So it’s not innovation—but Facebook has a huge dataset of intimate personal details behind it that it can leverage to do all kinds of clever things. “Because we have a core audience of over a billion people... who we... understand,” explained Bosworth to the Journal, “we have a greater opportunity than other companies using the same type of mechanism.”

In other words, Facebook plans to square up more firmly than ever against Google in the world of online advertising. And now, there’s no way to avoid the reach of Zuck’s promotions.

http://gizmodo.com/facebook-will-now-tr ... 1779103394

Everything I look at online has adblocker and privacy badger engaged. Sometimes sites like Wired for instance say "we've noticed you have adblocker enabled" if you want access enable us. Sorry, you are no longer worth reading. Sure, some sites don't work but just turn off ad blocker for a moment to see what bullshit the ads are. Actually don't. I may have mentioned it up thread or in some other thread but I like to think I had a hand in changing The Denver Post's tune as far as paywalls because I emailed them saying I'm from there and like to keep up with news and sports but will not pay. Something seems to have worked because the site no longer nags me. Seattle Times not so much. Though I have written to them complaining that 5 articles a month without paying to read their shit was lame. "You've reached your five article limit" and then a pop up of how you can pay them for "access". Just clear your fucking cookies for that domain.

Anyway.
82_28

Postby Nordic » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:58 am

https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/blog/ ... -of-policy

The New Arab

Dislike: Facebook names Netanyahu's former advisor 'head of policy'

The social networking site and the Israeli government cooperate to tackle the BDS movement [Getty]
Date of publication: 19 June, 2016

Binyamin Netanyahu's longtime senior adviser Jordana Cutler has been named as Facebook's head of policy and communication in Israel's latest bid to tackle the BDS movement online.
A longtime senior adviser to Israeli Prime minister Binyamin Netanyahu has been appointed as Facebook's head of policy and communication in the latest cooperation between the social networking site and the Israeli government to tackle the BDS movement.
Jordana Cutler, also chief of staff at the Israeli embassy in Washington, has joined Facebook's Israel office to oversee the planning and execution of measures taken to combat BDS campaigns.

Cutler's new post was applauded by the minister of public security Gilad Erdan, who announced on Thursday a series of legislative measures taken by his government against promoting the boycott of Israel.

"If we want to convince the world that de-legitimation of Israel is something wrong and that there should be consequences, we must start here in Israel," Erdan was quoted by Israeli media as saying during a conference in Herzliya.

"There will now be a real price to pay for someone working […] to isolate [Israel] from the rest of the world. I set up a legal team, together with the ministry of justice, that will promote governmental legislation on the matter," Erdan said.

"There has been an advance in dialogue between the state of Israel and Facebook," he said, "Facebook realises that it has a responsibility to monitor its platform and remove content. I hope it will be regulated for good."

"We will use legitimate democratic tools to fight this battle. We will make companies shift from being on the attack against Israel to the defence of protecting themselves," he added.

[Translation: Meet Facebook's latest lobbyist for Israel!]

The BDS movement, which describes itself as a global movement of citizens, advocates for non-violent campaigns of boycotts, divestment and sanctions as a means to overcome the Israeli regime of occupation, settler-colonialism and apartheid

Upon its launch in 2005, the campaign was widely ignored and even laughed at, by Israel and its supporters around the world.

But the Jewish state has since been troubled by the wide growing popularity of the movement, whose latest campaign Tov Ramadan raises awareness on Israeli settlement products and encourages people breaking their fast during the month of Ramadan to boycott them.

"He who wounds the ecosphere literally wounds God" -- Philip K. Dick
Nordic

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby seemslikeadream » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:54 am

I saw a commercial last night begging for money to feed the starving people of Israel .....thought maybe they could take some of the billions we already give their military for that
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby PufPuf93 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:32 pm

seemslikeadream » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:54 am wrote:I saw a commercial last night begging for money to feed the starving people of Israel .....thought maybe they could take some of the billions we already give their military for that

USA financial assistance to Israel is on the order of $4000 per Israeli per year.

I support Israel but do not support Likud and have sympathy for the great majority of Palestinians.

Too many folks for far too long have wanted to extend rather than solve the problems between Israel and the Palestinians.
PufPuf93

Postby Wombaticus Rex » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:03 pm

The statement warns that users are simply a ‘product’ to Facebook, claiming their reactions to posts are helping the social networking giant build up a profile of them. As a result of the profiling, the site will target ads it thinks users will be more receptive to based on how they are reacting to specific posts at the time.

“By limiting the number of icons to six, Facebook is counting on you to express your thoughts more easily so that the algorithms that run in the background are more effective,” the police said. “By mouse clicks you can let them know what makes you happy.”

Quite so - I am probably sharing this essay for the third time but it's brilliant and transcends its subject matter entirely:
http://thenewinquiry.com/blogs/marginal ... reactions/

The “people” they are listening to are not just users but other advisers and researchers. The “more ways” to react is actually a limited set, premised on the notion that users would rather click a button than use language to express their feelings. And one’s feelings about some piece of content are typically a mixture that one may not be able to sort out: Maybe jealousy is mixed with congratulations; joy mixed with anxiety; a sense of discovery mixed with a sense of shame. The design of Facebook’s Reactions repudiates the possibility of such ambivalence, suggesting mixed feelings are abnormal, atypical. It presumes we have an immediate, precise response.

As several commentators have pointed out, the new Reactions feel more constricting and prescriptive than the Like button ever did. A Like, when it was the uniform currency of attention in Facebook, had a certain ambiguity: It could be spent on anything. But the greater precision of these Reactions says you can spend your attention in only six ways.

Accessing the Reactions menu does not make using Facebook easier or quicker, but more cumbersome. Rather than the binary process of saying yes or no to “liking” content, users now have a two-step process in which they decide to “react” and then pick a reaction. Then they have to get to the menu itself — a few seconds, but an eternity by Facebook’s own standards of time management. After all, this is a company that rolled out Instant Articles because it believes a few seconds is too long for users to wait for content.

I find it increasingly difficult to justify the thin shreds of rationalizations I maintain in order to participate: access to family x a captive audience for trolling.

Big Blue definitely takes far more than it could ever give.
Wombaticus Rex

Postby 82_28 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:18 pm

Mr. Rex "ironically" enough posted this on FB and is a good read.

http://thenewinquiry.com/blogs/marginal ... reactions/
82_28

Postby brekin » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:56 pm

Facebook: We forge the chains we wear in life.

(Charles Dicken quote reappropriated)
If I knew all mysteries and all knowledge, and have not charity, I am nothing. St. Paul
I hang onto my prejudices, they are the testicles of my mind. Eric Hoffer
brekin

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby 82_28 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:19 pm

Oh shit. I just noticed that he'd already posted it. Nevermind. At least it was good enough to be re-mentioned.
82_28

Postby MinM » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:39 am

@motherboard

ImageHow Facebook is tightening its vice grip on how we consume media http://bit.ly/29hd1lj

@motherboard

Facebook-dependent content farms will finally die http://bit.ly/29830Ua

MinM » Mon May 09, 2016 10:04 am wrote:

MinM » Mon May 02, 2016 10:43 pm wrote:
I’m sure people who work for Facebook don’t believe that they’re working for the company that will destroy the world. But, you know, they are. And everyone gets through the day rationalizing their own existence. ~ Jonathan Nolan

@TheAVClub

The exec producers of Person Of Interest suspect Facebook will destroy the world http://avc.lu/26JpAf4

Earth-704509
MinM

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion