Coincidences and Synchronicities

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Coincidences and Synchronicities

Postby Luther Blissett » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:17 pm

I had quite a mind-blowing one this week, though it was somewhat organic or mechanical in its links to concrete reality…something plausible but still presented to me in an overt, punch-in-the-face kind of way.

Last Saturday I was standing in line at a food truck at the Earth Day event in my neighborhood. A young, college-aged, likely Ivy League couple was waiting behind me in line. The young woman receives a phone call. It's a wrong number, but something causes her to prod the caller, asking where they got the number, why they were calling, who they were trying to reach. I just assumed it was some strange byproduct of privilege; when I get a wrong number, I don't harass the caller.

She gets off the phone and starts to tell her companion a story: that was the second time she had been contacted by someone looking for "Auto Connections." The first caller didn't leave any other details, but this more recent caller claimed to have loaned this person $30,000, in exchange merely for that given cell phone number. It sounded strange, and I, eavesdropping, wondered whether the caller themselves were perpetrating a scam, or were victims as was more likely. I just don't know anyone who would hand out a $30,000 loan (and to something called "Auto Connections"? How does this work? What was the purpose?), but it still sounds like the kind of predatory practice taken out on the old and/or poor, like a co-worker of mine who always seems to be the victim of bad scams like too-good-to-be-true "vacation timeshares." The young woman calls her mother and further explains the situation, asking her mother to monitor the bank accounts "in case of identity theft."

Ironically enough, I took a picture right at the moment this was occurring, just to set the scene for you:

(To add to the strangeness of this story, it was at exactly this moment that a fellow Rigorous Intuition poster walked by with some of their friends and waved.)

On Wednesday of this week, I was sitting in my studio in the afternoon, working. My coworker received a call, and it was a wrong number. He's a very forward guy, and so he begins to ask questions of the caller: who they were trying to reach, how they got the number, whether they found it online, were told it verbally, or had it on a business card or other printed/written material, etc. He actually begins to provide them with some of his own details: "you're actually the second person today to call me looking for A______ at 'Auto Connections'." I perked up at that one, and got up and walked over to his desk just as he was finishing up with the call.

I told him, "before you say anything about what just happened, I need to tell you something I overheard last weekend," and proceeded to relay the story of the $30,000 loan. He was shocked, and asked if I was fucking kidding him. That was exactly what his call was about. I knew for certain now that I had witnessed a scam, but still didn't know if these callers were victims or perpetrators, but were likely victims. I couldn't wrap my head around having overheard precisely the same kind of phone conversation twice in one week. Either it was an insane coincidence, or it was a very widespread scam in our city, and this was about to happen to everyone.

My coworker said that the earlier caller had been a woman, and the more recent one had been a man. Both sounded "totally normal, like just regular people." He felt obliged to call them both back and report what I had just told him. It was then that he discovered that both the female and male callers had called from the same number; he assumed they were related and were calling about the same inquiry. However, when he called, a machine picked up and said that he had reached a municipality hall in New Jersey. There was no directory, so he spoke to someone in security and told them the story, as he felt it was the best he could do. Security of course knew nothing.

I searched for "Auto Connections" in my area but could not really find anything out-of-sorts. There seemed to be a number of legitimate-seeming entities calling themselves that.

I still can't tell exactly what was going on.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby vogonpoet » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:44 am

Luther, fascinating as a mystery story. But as a synchronicity - what could it mean?

A synchronicity is theater presented just for the individuals witnessing it...
- Mike Clelland on Secret Sun Radio (@ about 1h20m)

Perhaps I had unconsciously posted such a request on some psychic bulletin board...
- Jaques Vallee's synchronicity story (from Rigorous Intuition, Aug 9, 2007)
vogonpoet

Postby Luther Blissett » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:28 am

I'm not a very mystical guy, but it is boggling to ponder. I don't even think this was a case of noticing something because one is paying attention, like it would be with floating objects in the sky. Like I mentioned before, I was really pounded over the head with this one, without any clue of what the universe could have been trying to tell me.
The Rich and the Corporate remain in their hundred-year fever visions of Bolsheviks taking their stuff - JackRiddler
Luther Blissett

Postby cc » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:21 pm

cc

Postby zuestorz » Sat May 05, 2012 7:48 pm

Although not strictly coinciding in linear time, I always think it was really weird that two historical events with so many parallels could have occurred so close together (temporally if not geographically). I'm referring to the battles of Little Big Horn (1876) and Isandhlwana (1879).
I know of no safe depository of the ultimate powers of society but the people themselves
- Thomas Jefferson
zuestorz

Postby Ben D » Mon May 07, 2012 11:50 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/05/02/ancient-hebrew-seal-discovered-near-jerusalems-first-temple/

An ancient seal bearing the name "Matanyahu" -- which like the name of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu means "giving to God" -- was recently uncovered in Jerusalem. (Israel Antiquities Authority)
There is That which was not born, nor created, nor evolved. If it were not so, there would never be any refuge from being born, or created, or evolving. That is the end of suffering. That is God**.

** or Nirvana, Allah, Brahman, Tao, etc...
Ben D

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby vogonpoet » Tue May 08, 2012 4:04 pm

Not so amazing since many Israeli family names were self chosen to have auspicious meanings, shedding their European names - which were often assigned by the local, non-Jewish, PTB.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebraization_of_surnames
Random examples from Wikipedia:
Yitzhak Shamir, born Icchak Jeziernicky
Shimon Peres, born Szymon Perski
Ariel Sharon, born Ariel Scheinermann
Benjamin Netanyahu, father's name Mileikowsky
Yitzhak Rabin, father's name Rubitzov
vogonpoet

Postby crikkett » Sun May 13, 2012 6:52 pm

1) Holy Tits. I just happen to hold a front-row seat at a nascent Christian reformation movement that I don't write about here, much anyway. Because if I did, I'd have to become an expert when I'm just as happy to be a dinner guest.
viewtopic.php?p=461708#p461708
The funny part is how it took me three days to notice the caption on the magazine cover. As if I wouldn't raise my eyes above a certain level until it hit me on the head with a bat.

2) When I searched out this thread to update:
Search found 911 matches
Search term used: +synchronicity

Fun day.
:lovehearts:
crikkett

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby zuestorz » Tue May 29, 2012 6:09 pm

Here's a fun coincidence. Or is it a planned wink at these folks from their 'Higher Selves' having arranged it all from the implicate order?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1285238/Engaged-couple-discover-paths-crossed-Disney-World-toddlers.html
I know of no safe depository of the ultimate powers of society but the people themselves
- Thomas Jefferson
zuestorz

Postby brainpanhandler » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:02 am

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.
brainpanhandler

Postby Luther Blissett » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:02 pm

A few weeks ago, I met Nile Rodgers at work. I left work to pick up dinner, and the first song I heard when I walked into the takeout spot was "Le Freak."
Luther Blissett

Postby crikkett » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:25 pm

Has anyone else had a weekend full of synchronicities? I'm still trying to process mine.
crikkett

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:35 pm

My gal and I just started watching the HBO series Girls (which is terrific, btw), so of course I saw Zosia Mamet on the street yesterday.

If I had seen her the day before, I'd have had zero clue who she was.
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

Postby Luther Blissett » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:25 pm

Bruce Dazzling wrote:My gal and I just started watching the HBO series Girls (which is terrific, btw), so of course I saw Zosia Mamet on the street yesterday.

I love Zosia Mamet and Girls. Do you feel as strongly as I do that there are so many undercurrents of cultural critique beyond the immediate superficial ones? Especially with regard to the changing role of education, Generation X, and sprawl? Girls serves as such a great companion piece to the Wire.
Luther Blissett

Postby Bruce Dazzling » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:55 pm

Luther Blissett wrote:
Bruce Dazzling wrote:My gal and I just started watching the HBO series Girls (which is terrific, btw), so of course I saw Zosia Mamet on the street yesterday.

I love Zosia Mamet and Girls. Do you feel as strongly as I do that there are so many undercurrents of cultural critique beyond the immediate superficial ones? Especially with regard to the changing role of education, Generation X, and sprawl? Girls serves as such a great companion piece to the Wire.

Absolutely.

Not to mention the overarching theme of art in our fucked up capitalist world. Dunham doesn't shy away from the Williamsburg trust fund angle either, as her main character obviously comes from a monied family (relatively speaking), who had been funding her bohemian lifestyle while she worked on her book, and even more importantly, by making nepotistic casting choices such as the already mentioned Mamet, Allison Williams (the daughter of Brian Williams), and Jemima Kirke (daughter of Simon Kirke). So even while her main character does get cut off from her parents' funding, the entire show is a demonstration that success in the arts can be boiled down to the power of connectedness just as much as, say ... success in banking.
"Arrogance is experiential and environmental in cause. Human experience can make and unmake arrogance. Ours is about to get unmade."

~ Joe Bageant R.I.P.

OWS Photo Essay

OWS Photo Essay - Part 2
Bruce Dazzling

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion