One Drone Thread to Rule them ALL

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: One Drone Thread to Rule them ALL

Postby elfismiles » Fri May 05, 2017 10:07 am

The Spy in the Next Pod
Robots disguised as dolphins, squids, turtles and more secretly collect intelligence.
Spy Tuna follows some spinner dolphins. Photo: John Downer Productions
By Dorothy Rabinowitz
May 4, 2017 6:03 p.m. ET
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby elfismiles » Tue May 23, 2017 11:16 am

Meet the world’s first bionic FISH drone: This new 'swimming' camera will take holiday bragging to new depths on social media
The Biki device flaps its bionic fin as it swims through the water taking snaps
It keeps its balance in swaying water and automatically avoids obstacles
The underwater drone can operate for two hours at depths of up to 200
By Annabel Fenwick Elliott for MailOnline
Published: 08:50 EDT, 23 May 2017 | Updated: 10:20 EDT, 23 May 2017
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trave ... drone.html

SRS drone update leaves questions unanswered
Posted May 22, 2017 03:34 pm - Updated May 22, 2017 07:02 pm
By Thomas Gardiner, Staff Writer
http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/2017- ... unanswered
elfismiles

Postby Iamwhomiam » Wed May 24, 2017 4:51 pm

I haven't looked for it in print yet, but yesterday I heard on a radio broadcast that a court ruled the FAA did not have the right to demand drone pilots to register with the agency or to demand users be permitted or licensed because they are model airplanes and model airplanes and their users are not subject to FAA rules.

But at the same time, certain R- representatives are pushing a bill to legalize the shooting down of drones flown over private property the operator does not own.

Overall, I'd say that was a 'win'.
Iamwhomiam

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby elfismiles » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:24 pm

Engineering news
X-ray drones can see through walls
20 Jun 2017 - Amit Katwala

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THu3ZvAHI9A
http://www.imeche.org/news/news-article ... ough-walls
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:18 am

Amazon’s vision for the future: delivery drone beehives in every city
Welcome to Amazontopia
by James Vincent@jjvincent Jun 23, 2017, 4:56am EDT
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/23/1586 ... ty-centers
elfismiles

Postby PufPuf93 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:35 pm

What can go wrong.

From Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revi ... pldnSite=1

Customer Review

4,067 of 4,171 people found the following review helpful

love it with a caveat,

November 4, 2016

By waylnder

This review is from: iRobot Roomba 650 Robotic Vacuum Cleaner, Black (Misc.)

Previously my wife and I read the post about someone’s Roomba trailing through dog poop. We laughed and didn’t think another thing about it.

Let me tell you how yesterday went. While at a training for work I receive a text message from my 10 year daughter. “Dad, please call me the floors are dead.” I assumed that auto correct had gotten involved and was trying to figure out what it had corrected from. Also in the back of my mind I assumed our 14 year old lab Dalmatian mix had passed away, only to be found by our daughter. I attempted to call my daughter with no answer and then called my wife. My wife had received the same text and had talked to our daughter.

Our lab is fine, our daughter was not. It appears that during our absence our 85 pound Band-dog mastiff had a bit of stomach distress. This in its self isn’t a big deal as pet owner we understand that periodically “poop happens.” What caused our very articulate 10 year daughter to become stymied was the fact that Rudy (our Roomba’s name) at 1415 hours started his tour of duty.

Our daughter entered the house at around 1430. Rudy had been diligently cleaning our house for 15 minutes give or take. It seems that he had made a bee line towards the piles of dog stomach distress and then gleefully in a poop filled rampage “cleaned” the house. I don’t know if dog excrement somehow is a super boost to Roombas (much like speed boosts on video games) or if Rudy somewhere deep in his programing has a code built in that basically states “if dog mess is found, crank all operations up to 11.” But it appears that in a very small bit of time he had somehow traversed into the master bedroom, the hall way, kitchen and of course the living room.

As any Roomba owner knows they travel in spiral patterns; they bump into walls and furniture and they stop and spin looking for dust or hair. This built in patterning is truly effective in the elimination of pet hair, dust and small bits of debris. This patterning also seems to mimic the path a three year old hopped up on red bull and given an open full paint can, would have. If you keep the afore mentioned three year old in mind and substitute poop for paint that is what we are looking at. Roombas also have a small propeller like, brush attachment. This attachment sticks out in front of the Roomba. Its’ original purpose appears to be reaching into corners where the round Roomba cannot reach. Unfortunately, this attachment also seems to have the ability to violate the known laws of physics by flinging poop in all directions, angles, around corners, inside locked cabinets, and oddly straight up in the air to hit a 12 foot ceiling. So give that three year old a fan and let them swing it around as much as possible.
So back to our daughter, as she entered the house she was struck by a smell that could only be described as Cerebos’s backyard after being fed Taco Bell and Jägermeister for three days. After the initial shock, she looked down, up and around and observed the poopy Pollock patterning on the walls. She immediately went further into the house, (where she got the strength of will I will never know) to find her phone to text her parents.

Before she could reach her phone, a poop flinging Rudy turned the corner and the chase was on. I don’t know what happen in the time between our daughter being spotted by the poop flinging Rudy and the text message, because she refuses to talk about it. She was able to stop the rampage by disabling Rudy and moving him to the backyard. After which she sent the text. I do have a theory on why she sent the “floors are dead” text. She being a normal 10 year girl has yet to witness anything close to the atrocity she saw. Given that she could only process the thought “the floors are dead.” In hopes we would call and she could articulate the carnage.
Back to my wife, I didn’t get all the above information until after the event. I was talking to my wife when she initially entered the house. All I heard was the garage door open, about 20 seconds of silence, a very soft “oh God” and then her telling me “it’s bad, I’ll call you back.” In her shock, she forgot to hang up the phone and for the next 5 or so minutes I could hear snippets of “How did it get there? Why, Oh man we might need to buy a rug, we just put in new floors, Oh God.”

I arrived home at around 1830 hours. Our house smelt of beach and cleaning fluid. My wife and daughter both freshly showered, both sitting down, both having only what can be described as a 1000 yard stare. My wife did say three words, “He is outside.”

I tried to take Rudy apart as much as light and my stomach would allow. As it stands right now some of his parts are soaking in a solution of bleach and water. I am hoping through the next week I will be able to thoroughly clean his outsides and insides.

So if I was to rate the Roomba I would highly suggest it others. We love the little guy, he has cleaned our floors without compliant, been a source of entertainment, and reduces our work load with our pets.

I do have to add one caveat. If you own pets only allow the Roomba to work while you are there. Or you will spend a week cleaning out at poop filled Roomba.
PufPuf93

Postby elfismiles » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:56 am

'Suicidal Robot' Shows AI Still has a Long Way to Go
https://www.inverse.com/article/34328-k ... tain-drown

Top US general warns against rogue killer robots
By John Bowden - 07/18/17 11:05 PM EDT
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/34265 ... ler-robots

The second highest-ranking general in the U.S. military on Tuesday warned lawmakers against equipping the military with autonomous weapons systems that humans could lose control of and advocated for keeping the "ethical rules of war" in place.

In a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing on Tuesday, Gen. Paul Selva responded to a question from Sen. Gary Peters (D-MI) about a Defense Department directive that requires a human operator to be involved in the decision-making process when it comes to taking lives with autonomous weapons systems.

Selva warned lawmakers that the military should keep "the ethical rules of war in place lest we unleash on humanity a set of robots that we don't know how to control."

"I don't think it's reasonable for us to put robots in charge of whether or not we take a human life," Selva told the committee.

Peters mentioned that the directive expires later this year, and told Selva that America's enemies would not hesitate to employ such technology.

"Our adversaries often do not to consider the same moral and ethical issues that we consider each and every day," Peters told Selva.

Selvar responded, saying that America does and should always "take our values to war."

"There will be a raucous debate in the department about whether or not we take humans out of the decision to take lethal action," he told Peters, but added that he was in favor of "keeping that restriction.

Selva added that just because the U.S. won't pursue that kind of technology doesn't mean it won't research how to defend against it.

It "doesn't mean that we don't have to address the development of those kinds of technologies and potentially find their vulnerabilities and exploit those vulnerabilities," Selva told the committee.

Last year, Tesla founder Elon Musk and famed astrophysicist Stephen Hawking warned in an open letter against the possibilities of weapons developers using artificial intelligence.

“Starting a military AI arms race is a bad idea, and should be prevented by a ban on offensive autonomous weapons beyond meaningful human control,” their letter reads.
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:45 pm

Dawn of the dead ... zombie charger stalker bots

Amazon patents a robot to stalk you at the airport
By Monica Torres Jul 19, 2017

The “low battery” warning on our phones is an invitation to powerlessness that all of us have experienced. It’s worse when you’re in a public place and can’t seem to find an available outlet to charge your electronic devices, panic rising by the second.

Amazon wants to change this scramble to find an outlet by bringing the outlet to you. And the outlet will be housed in a robot that would be built to look friendly — presumably so that you don’t notice that it’s stalking travelers.

This week, a U.S. patent filed by Amazon in 2015 was published for a power-charging robot that will come to your aid when you’re at the airport in need of an electrical outlet.

The robot that knows where you are

Here’s how it works: You will make a wireless request (perhaps with your last precious few moments of juice).The robot will find you in a crowd using sensor data.Through a cloud-based application, the robot can even find you automatically when your power hits below 10%. Nothing, of course is free, so the robot will ask you to watch an ad, complete a survey, or pay some money.

Then: the robot provides sweet, precious electricity to your phone or iPad or laptop.

The robot would be designed for public use in airports, hotels, and shopping malls—all locations where losing battery power can be particularly inconvenient. Of course, a device like this would be perfect for business travelers, who have become accustomed to carrying heavy external batteries or even bulky power strips.

According to the illustrative examples provided in the patent, what the robotic device will look like is subject to change. Some figures show it with a humanlike body that can store sticks of gum for purchase; others show it with a conical shape powered on wheels.

READ REST HERE:
https://www.theladders.com/p/24256/amaz ... he-airport
elfismiles

Postby elfismiles » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:34 pm

And the next wave of terror-weapons arrives...

"Hack-it and Attack-with-it!" :thumbsup :evilgrin

Domino’s and Ford will test self-driving pizza delivery cars
But the car won’t be driving itself
by Amar Toor and Tamara Warren Aug 29, 2017, 12:01am EDT
https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/29/1621 ... riving-car

elfismiles

Postby seemslikeadream » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:57 am

C.I.A. Wants Authority to Conduct Drone Strikes in Afghanistan for the First Time
By ERIC SCHMITT and MATTHEW ROSENBERGSEPT. 15, 2017

WASHINGTON — The C.I.A. is pushing for expanded powers to carry out covert drone strikes in Afghanistan and other active war zones, a proposal that the White House appears to favor despite the misgivings of some at the Pentagon, according to current and former intelligence and military officials.

If approved by President Trump, it would mark the first time the C.I.A. has had such powers in Afghanistan, expanding beyond its existing authority to carry out covert strikes against Al Qaeda and other terrorist targets across the border in Pakistan.

The changes are being weighed as part of a broader push inside the Trump White House to loosen Obama-era restraints on how the C.I.A. and the military fight Islamist militants around the world. The Obama administration imposed the restrictions in part to limit civilian casualties, and the proposed shift has raised concerns among critics that the Trump administration would open the way for broader C.I.A. strikes in such countries as Libya, Somalia and Yemen, where the United States is fighting the Islamic State, Al Qaeda or both.

Until now, the Pentagon has had the lead role for conducting airstrikes — with drones or other aircraft — against militants in Afghanistan and other conflict zones, such as Somalia and Libya and, to some extent, Yemen. The military publicly acknowledges its strikes, unlike the C.I.A., which for roughly a decade has carried out its own campaign of covert drone strikes in Pakistan that were not acknowledged by either country, a condition that Pakistan’s government has long insisted on.

But the C.I.A.’s director, Mike Pompeo, has made a forceful case to Mr. Trump in recent weeks that the Obama-era arrangement needlessly limited the United States’ ability to conduct counterterrorism operations, according to the current and former officials, who would not be named discussing internal debates about sensitive information. He has publicly suggested that Mr. Trump favors granting the C.I.A. greater authorities to go after militants, though he has been vague about specifics, nearly all of which are classified.

“When we’ve asked for more authorities, we’ve been given it. When we ask for more resources, we get it,” Mr. Pompeo said this week on Fox News.

He said that the agency was hunting “every day” for Al Qaeda’s leaders, most of whom are believed to be sheltering in the remote mountains that straddle the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

“If I were them, I’d count my days,” Mr. Pompeo said.

From the outset of his tenure at the C.I.A., Mr. Pompeo, a West Point graduate and former Army officer, has made clear that he favors pushing the agency to take on a more direct role in fighting militants. Afghanistan, the most active war zone in which the United States is fighting, makes sense as the place to start: In the past three years, the number of military drone strikes there has climbed, from 304 in 2015, to 376 last year, to 362 through the first eight months of this year.

The C.I.A., in comparison, has had little to do across the border in Pakistan, where there were three drone strikes last year and have been four so far this year, according to the Long War Journal published by the Foundation for Defense of Democracies.

“This is bureaucratic politics 101,” said Christine Wormuth, a former top Pentagon official. “The C.I.A. has very significant capabilities, and it wants to go use them.”

Mr. Trump has already authorized Defense Secretary Jim Mattis to deploy more troops to Afghanistan – some 4,000 reinforcements who will allow American officers to more closely advise Afghan brigades, train more Afghan special operations forces and call in American firepower. Credit Shah Marai/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images
Spokesmen for the C.I.A. and the Defense Department declined to comment on the pending proposal, which involves delicate internal deliberations.

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has not resisted the C.I.A. proposal, administration officials said, but other Pentagon officials question the expansion of C.I.A. authorities in Afghanistan or elsewhere, asking what the agency can do that the military cannot. Some Pentagon officials also fear that American troops on the ground in Afghanistan could end up bearing the burden of any C.I.A. strikes that accidentally kill civilians, because the agency will not publicly acknowledge those attacks. The military has also had to confront its own deadly mistakes in Afghanistan.

One senior Defense Department official said that the United States would gain little from having the C.I.A. carry out drone strikes alongside the military, and that it raised the question of whether it was an appropriate use of covert action.

A former senior administration official familiar with Mr. Pompeo’s position said that he views a division of labor with the Defense Department as an abrogation of the C.I.A.’s authorities.

Mr. Pompeo’s argument seems to be carrying the day with Mr. Trump, who has struck a bellicose tone in seeking to confront extremist groups in Afghanistan, including Al Qaeda, the Islamic State and the Haqqani network, a faction of the Taliban.

In Mr. Trump’s speech last month outlining his policy for South Asia, including Afghanistan, the president promised that he would loosen restrictions on American soldiers to enable them to hunt down terrorists, whom he labeled “thugs and criminals and predators, and — that’s right — losers.”

“The killers need to know they have nowhere to hide, that no place is beyond the reach of American might and American arms,” the president said. “Retribution will be fast and powerful.”

Mr. Pompeo may have a potentially important ally: Gen. John W. Nicholson Jr., the top commander in Afghanistan, who reportedly favors any approach to train more firepower on the array of foes of Afghan security forces and the 11,000 or so American troops advising and assisting them.

Mr. Trump has already authorized Mr. Mattis to deploy more troops to Afghanistan. Some 4,000 reinforcements will allow American officers to more closely advise Afghan brigades, train more Afghan Special Operations forces and call in American firepower.

Among the chief targets for the C.I.A. in Afghanistan would be the Haqqani network, whose leader is now the No. 2 in the Taliban and runs its military operations. The Haqqanis have been responsible for many of the deadliest attacks on Afghanistan’s capital, Kabul, in the war and are known for running a virtual factory in Pakistan that has steadily supplied suicide bombers since 2005.

Despite their objections, Defense Department officials say they are now somewhat resigned to the outcome and are working out arrangements with the C.I.A. to ensure that United States forces, including Special Operations advisers, are not accidentally targeted, officials said.

Beyond the military, critics see the proposal as another attempt to expand the C.I.A.’s drone wars without answering longstanding questions about whether American spies should be running military-style operations in the shadows.

“One of the things we learned early on in Afghanistan and Iraq was the importance of being as transparent as possible in discussing our military operations,” said Luke Hartig, a senior director for counterterrorism at the National Security Council during the Obama administration.

“Why we took the specific action, who all was killed or injured in the operation, what we were going to do if we had inadvertently killed civilians or damaged property,” he continued. “I don’t know what the Trump administration is specifically considering in Afghanistan, but if their new plans for the war decrease any of that transparency, that would be a big strategic and moral mistake.”

When John O. Brennan, a former top White House counterterrorism adviser, became C.I.A. director in late 2013, he announced an intention to ratchet back the paramilitary operations that have transformed the agency since the Sept. 11 attacks.

Mr. Brennan’s goal, he said during his confirmation hearings, was to refocus the agency on the traditional work of intelligence collection and espionage that had sometimes been neglected. During those hearings, Mr. Brennan obliquely criticized the performance of American spy agencies in providing intelligence and analysis of the Arab revolutions that began in 2009, and said the C.I.A. needed to cede some of its paramilitary role to the Pentagon.

In a speech in May 2013 in which he sought to redefine American policy toward terrorism, President Barack Obama expanded on that theme, announcing new procedures for drone operations, which White House officials said would gradually become the responsibility of the Pentagon.

But critics contended that effort, too, proved slow-going, and that Mr. Brennan did not push forcefully for moving all drone operations away from the C.I.A.

Now, with Mr. Pompeo in charge, the agency appears to be aggressively renewing its paramilitary role, and pushing limits on other forms of covert operations outside conflict zones, including in countries where no fighting is underway, such as Iran. A veteran C.I.A. officer viewed as the architect of the drone program was put in charge of the agency’s Iran operations this year, for instance, and Mr. Pompeo has made it clear that he believes the C.I.A. has a robust role to play in fighting militants.

“We broke the back of Al Qaeda,” he said at a public appearance in July, referring to the drone campaign inside Pakistan that decimated the militant network’s leadership ranks.

“We took down their entire network,” he said. “And that’s what we’re going to do again.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/15/us/p ... istan.html
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Grizzly » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:10 am

https://www.recode.net/2016/10/28/13406 ... c-security
Hackers are able to seize control of consumer drones and make them fall from the sky
This is serious.
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby norton ash » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:17 pm

So the people of Niger will fear the sky.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/africa/u-s ... er-n814341
Zen horse
norton ash

Postby elfismiles » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Drone stalking several women in rural Port Lincoln community part of growing list of UAV concerns
ABC West Coast SA
Updated Thu at 9:13pm
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-02/d ... ty/9112926
elfismiles

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion