Secret Archive Grim View of Afghan War - Wikileaks ONLINE

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Secret Archive Grim View of Afghan War - Wikileaks ONLINE

Postby 8bitagent » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:06 pm

I'm reading several new articles, people are now claiming wikileaks was in reality leaked by the government on purpose(hence the soft feigned indignation and wink and nod approval)
in order to shore up sly war propaganda against Pakistan?

Man, I remember the days when saying Pakistan was in bed with the Taliban and al qaeda was conspiracy truther stuff, now all the sudden its headline news used as propaganda to propegate future conflicts.

"Oh hey, looks like Pakistan has been working against us all this time, those bastards! Well time for another invasion!"
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Sweejak » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:35 pm

A house of mirrors.
Who has got good links on what Pakistan's agenda might be in the geopolitical sense?
Sweejak

Postby seemslikeadream » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:13 pm

When Ellsberg throws him under the bus drinks are on me in the lounge

Daniel Ellsberg describes Afghan war logs as on a par with 'Pentagon Papers'
Former US military analyst leaked documents in 1971 revealing how the American public was misled about the Vietnam war

Daniel Ellsberg, the former US military analyst who compared the Afghanistan war logs with his leaking of the 1971 'Pentagon Papers'. Photograph: Stephen Hird/Reuters
Daniel Ellsberg, a former US military analyst, has described the disclosure of the Afghan war logs as on the scale of his leaking of the "Pentagon Papers" in 1971 revealing how the US public was misled about the Vietnam war.

"An outrageous escalation of the war is taking place," he said. "Look at these cables and see if they give anybody the occasion to say the answer is 'resources''. He added: "After $300bn and 10 years, the Taliban is stronger than they have ever been … We are recruiting for them."

However, the equivalent of the Pentagon Papers on Afghanistan – top secret papers relating to policy – had yet to be leaked, he said.

People could read the logs to discover what they now need to ask, such as what their money was being spent on, he said. They would have an effect on public opinion, but the question, Ellsberg said, was how they would influence the US and UK governments.

He compared them to the document leaked in 2003 by the GCHQ officer, Katharine Gun, which revealed how the US asked Britain to spy on neutral countries at the UN before the invasion of Iraq. The disclosure influenced the attitude of the neutral countries who refused to vote for the invasion
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby Elvis » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:19 pm

8bitagent wrote:I remember the days when saying Pakistan was in bed with the Taliban and al qaeda was conspiracy truther stuff, now all the sudden its headline news used as propaganda to propegate future conflicts.
The New Yorker (hardly a truther rag) has covered that to a fair extent going back to 1998 or so. If you go to newyorker.com and use their search function you'll find some of the pertinent stuff.

The first New Yorker article concerning Pakistan and the Taliban etc. that came to my mind today was one from not long after 9/11, about Hamid Gul, among other things, that featured a big photo of him (he told the writer the Jews did it). So I searched it on their site today but it didn't come up. Curious, I thought. (Now I'll have to dig through my past print issues to find it; a nightmare---random piles of them are stashed everywhere around my place).

Anyway, my "New Yorker"+"Hamid Gul" Google search did yield still-active links to old New Yorker articles containing "Hamid Gul"---links that do not come up in The New Yorker's own internal search engine (even more curious?)---on historycommons.org, namely in the 9/11 Timeline. So try History Commons for links to articles about Pakistan and the Taliban, Hamid Gul etc.

(I could have overlooked it but still didn't find the article I set out to find. If I find the hard copy I'll scan & post it. It's always interesting to go back to these things in the light of new developments and the accompanying spin.)

In a more recent New Yorker article about US-Pakistani relations, a Pakistani official said that if there was a popularity poll in Pakistan today, the US would score lower than India---the gist being they rilly resent US bullying.

(PS I'd get some links for y'all myself but am burned out on that search for today...plus I *should* be working)
“The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.” ― Joan Robinson
Elvis

Postby DoYouEverWonder » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:30 pm

Elvis wrote:
8bitagent wrote:I remember the days when saying Pakistan was in bed with the Taliban and al qaeda was conspiracy truther stuff, now all the sudden its headline news used as propaganda to propegate future conflicts.
The New Yorker (hardly a truther rag) has covered that to a fair extent going back to 1998 or so. If you go to newyorker.com and use their search function you'll find some of the pertinent stuff.

The first New Yorker article concerning Pakistan and the Taliban etc. that came to my mind today was one from not long after 9/11, about Hamid Gul, among other things, that featured a big photo of him (he told the writer the Jews did it). So I searched it on their site today but it didn't come up. Curious, I thought. (Now I'll have to dig through my past print issues to find it; a nightmare---random piles of them are stashed everywhere around my place).

Anyway, my "New Yorker"+"Hamid Gul" Google search did yield still-active links to old New Yorker articles containing "Hamid Gul"---links that do not come up in The New Yorker's own internal search engine (even more curious?)---on historycommons.org, namely in the 9/11 Timeline. So try History Commons for links to articles about Pakistan and the Taliban, Hamid Gul etc.

(I could have overlooked it but still didn't find the article I set out to find. If I find the hard copy I'll scan & post it. It's always interesting to go back to these things in the light of new developments and the accompanying spin.)

In a more recent New Yorker article about US-Pakistani relations, a Pakistani official said that if there was a popularity poll in Pakistan today, the US would score lower than India---the gist being they rilly resent US bullying.

(PS I'd get some links for y'all myself but am burned out on that search for today...plus I *should* be working)

And this is a surprise?

------------

Afghanistan: Who's the Enemy Here?

Jul. 13, 2003

History keeps repeating itself in Afghanistan. In December 2001, when the allies encircled al-Qaeda's craggy mountain retreat of Tora Bora, Osama bin Laden and his cronies slipped away, leaving foot soldiers as decoys for the bunker busters and special-ops bullets. Last month another opportunity to round up al-Qaeda terrorists was botched — this time by fighting among U.S. allies. Afghan fighters and some 2,000 Pakistani troops deployed to help hunt down al-Qaeda holdovers not far from Tora Bora instead turned their weapons on one another. By the time things calmed down, two weeks later, any terrorists there had slipped away.

The U.S. had pushed Pakistan for months to launch this operation. Military intelligence suggested that a dozen terrorists — possibly including bin Laden — might be holed up in the feisty Mohmand tribe's mountain stronghold, which straddles the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan. The plan was to have the Pakistanis sweep into the tribal area while U.S. troops sealed off the Afghan side, trapping the terrorists. Things went awry when Mohmand tribesmen and Afghan fighters supporting the U.S. forces attacked the Pakistani soldiers. The Pakistanis, unsurprisingly, shot back. All together a dozen were killed or injured, and the U.S. was left to referee a nasty diplomatic donnybrook between key allies.

The two nations' animosity runs deep. Historical grievances about Pakistan's former sponsorship of the Taliban, and more recent ones over what Kabul claims are Pakistani incursions into its territory, played into the hostilities. A mob of Afghans furious about the alleged incursions trashed the Pakistani embassy in Kabul last week. Afghan President Hamid Karzai is vexed by the refuge Taliban leaders have found in Pakistan's northwestern provinces. "The Afghans are convinced that the Pakistanis know where these Taliban leaders are — but they won't catch them," a diplomat explains. It was only after Karzai and Pakistani leader Pervez Musharraf spoke on the telephone last Thursday — prompted by U.S. pressure, say diplomats — that the border crisis was defused. According to sources in Kabul and Islamabad, military operations against suspected al-Qaeda hideouts have resumed.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1101030721-464465,00.html

------

Officials deny bin Laden
escaped November capture

by J.S. Newton, Fayetteville Observer, 2 August 2002

A Special Forces soldier says that troops had Osama bin Laden pinpointed in Afghanistan in November, but leaders took too long to decide to go after him and he slipped away.

Military officials have discounted the story.

The soldier, who said he was on the ground at Tora Bora when bin Laden was located, agreed to talk about the incident on condition that his name not be used.

The Observer has been unable to find other soldiers who can corroborate his account, and official military spokesmen say they have no knowledge of it.

Reporters are rarely permitted to accompany special operations troops into battle, so verification of battlefield accounts can be difficult.

But the story is consistent with previous reports from other sources that bin Laden was seen in the Tora Bora cave complex. American and Afghan troops spent weeks attacking and searching the caves late last year in the hunt for bin Laden and al-Qaida terrorists.

"We had `the man' and lost him," said the Special Forces soldier. "We knew the exact cave he was in and had the coordinates. It was 30 minutes away from our position. But we couldn't get orders quickly enough."

Following the operation, military leaders were criticized in the press and in Congress for allowing hundreds of al-Qaida members to escape into Pakistan.

On Wednesday, The Associated Press reported that Gen. Tommy Franks, the commander of U.S. forces in the region, acknowledged that many al-Qaida members had escaped the assault on Tora Bora. Franks was testifying before a Senate Armed Service Committee examining the hunt for the terrorists.

Exact location

According to the soldier who believes bin Laden could have been captured, teams from the 5th Special Forces Group at Fort Campbell, Ky. -- working alongside members of the Central Intelligence Agency -- believe they had the location of the terrorist leader on Nov. 28.

Intelligence reports placed bin Laden in an elaborate cave complex in the Tora Bora mountains of eastern Afghanistan.

The soldier said bin Laden's captured cook had told American military officials bin Laden's exact location.

But a Special Forces team captain on the ground would not give approval to go after bin Laden because there was no specific mission order to do so, the soldier said.

While the Army was deciding what to do, Special Forces soldiers saw two Russian-made helicopters fly into the area where bin Laden was believed to be, load up passengers and fly toward Pakistan.

"I said, `There he goes,'" the soldier said.

According to a story published Dec. 5 in Newsday, bin Laden had reportedly been spotted in the Tora Bora area in late November.

The story quoted an Afghan official, Hazrat Ali, chief of security forces in the area. But the story did not say that bin Laden's location was pinpointed, and no other published reports have confirmed the soldier's story.

Central Command

The U.S. Army Special Operations Command at Fort Bragg, which oversees Special Forces units, referred all questions about the soldier's account to U.S. Central Command in Tampa, Fla. The Central Command is running the war in Afghanistan.

Officials at Central Command said that had they confirmed bin Laden's location, they would certainly have acted.

"That's the first I ever heard of it," said Air Force Lt. Col. Martin Compton, a Central Command spokesman. "We have never acknowledged anything like that."

Compton said he doubts the report.

"The bottom line is we have never acknowledged we have had that kind of accuracy to where he is," he said.

U.S. Rep. Robin Hayes, a North Carolina Republican who serves on the House Special Oversight Panel on Terrorism, said House investigators are looking into the time it takes U.S. forces to react to credible intelligence reports.

He said it can be frustrating, and potentially life-threatening, when the military takes too long to make critical decisions.

And he said he would be disappointed if the military missed bin Laden because key decision-makers failed to act in time.

"I would say anything is possible," he said. "I would certainly hope there was more to it to see than the soldier was able to see from his vantage point."

Hayes said he would investigate the issue.

"It certainly is not something that needs to be kept under wraps," he said. "It needs to be investigated. ... It's very troubling. I think we need to follow up at it."

But Rep. Mike McIntyre's spokesman, Dean Mitchell, who is also on the House terrorism panel, said the soldier's account does not match any reports he has heard.

"We've not heard of this situation with Osama," Mitchell said.

Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld has also said that American troops have never had good enough intelligence about bin Laden's location to go after him.

In an Associated Press story in April, Rumsfeld said there had been speculation about where bin Laden was, but the pieces of information "haven't been actionable, they haven't been provable, they haven't resulted in our ability to track something down and actually do something about it."

On Wednesday, Rumsfeld was criticized at the Senate Armed Service Committee hearing by Sen. Max Cleland, a Democrat from Georgia, for not doing a better job of tracking down bin Laden.

Rumsfeld said the U.S. campaign has been successful so far in devastating the al-Qaida terrorist network's ability to carry out further attacks.

"You can be frustrated if you want, I'm not," Rumsfeld said.

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/JFK/JohnJudge/linkscopy/OdbLeNc.html
DoYouEverWonder

Postby ninakat » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:41 am

Well, well, well. And some of us thought he was dead long before 2006. Just shows what a few leaks can prove, right?

Bin Laden among latest Wikileaks Afghan revelations

New details, including reports on Osama Bin Laden dating from 2006, have emerged from 90,000 US military files leaked to the Wikileaks website.

Several files track Bin Laden, although the US has said it had received no reliable information on him "in years".

The details come as the Pentagon investigates who leaked the classified documents, in an act the White House says could harm national security.

Wikileaks describes the documents as battlefield and intelligence reports.

It says they were compiled by a variety of military units between 2004 and 2009.

In August 2006, a US intelligence report placed Bin Laden at a meeting in Quetta, over the border in Pakistan.

It said he and others - including the Taliban leader, Mullah Omar - were organising suicide attacks in Afghanistan.

The targets were unknown, the report said, but the bombers were carrying explosives from Pakistan.

Nearly 200 files concern Task Force 373, a US special forces unit whose job was to kill or capture Taliban or al-Qaeda commanders.

The records log 144 incidents involving Afghan civilian casualties, including 195 fatalities, the UK's Guardian newspaper reports.

. . .
ninakat

Postby 8bitagent » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:08 am

Elvis wrote:

Aw yes, Hamid Gul. I remember reading how a few days after 9/11, he claimed the US and Israel did 9/11. Bin Laden also claimed the CIA and Mossad were behind 9/11 around the same time.
Now Hamid Gul has been said in these wikileaks to be in bed with the Taliban, and I recall other reports stating he was a buddy of bin Laden. Yet, we see Hamid Gul go on the Alex Jones show and claim "9/11 was an inside job" by the US, and that allegations linking the ISI to al Qaeda are false. Iran also claims 9/11 was an inside job, but al Qaeda claims Iran is behind the 9/11 conspiracies taking credit away from them. Meanwhile Iran blames the US for backing the Jundullah and MEK attacks in Tehran. So it's a big cluster-eff of finger pointing. RT, the conspiracy theorist news channel on cable, on a daily basis makes the claim that allegations against Pakistan is US propaganda, and that the US was behind 9/11.

I just saw the writer of the NY Times piece say what I was wondering, that essentially why is the US giving billions to Pakistan if they are secretly directing Taliban attacks against the US. Now, the Pakistani ISI-Taliban meme is headline front page news everywhere online and on tv, including the front page of my small town paper.

Last night Zbigniew Brzezinski warned about all this. He said there are powers within Washington and abroad trying to get the US and Israel to attack Iran. That Russia and China have interest in the Afghanistan/Pakistan situation, with some siding with India and others with Pakistan. And he continually said the US could eventually get pulled into some sort of major conflict with Iran, Pakistan, India and possibly China and Russia. But hasnt this always been the end game? World War 3? And we know that tinderbox Pakistan, and the situation in Iran was going to be the catalyst among possible other scenarios(like North Korea)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp ... 3#38411097

I do see an end game going on, and that agenda is manipulating more and more events to push toward a massive world war.
"Do you know who I am? I am the arm, and I sound like this..."-man from another place, twin peaks fire walk with me
8bitagent

Postby 8bitagent » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:13 am

DoYouEverWonder wrote:
While the Army was deciding what to do, Special Forces soldiers saw two Russian-made helicopters fly into the area where bin Laden was believed to be, load up passengers and fly toward Pakistan.

"I said, `There he goes,'" the soldier said.

In the new BBC documentary "Bin Laden: Dead or Alive?" top former CIA, Pentagon and Delta Force all say Rumsfeld and the Bush administration intentionally aborted their mission to kill bin Laden, even when they were within a couple football fields away from him and his inner circle in Tora Bora.

We also know from Sy Hersh and other reports that the Pakistani ISI helped caravan and fly the heads of al Qaeda and Taliban out of the region. The myth that bin Laden slipped away on foot or by mule is something the US wants to be known. I personally do not know if bin Laden is alive, but I have no doubt that the US intentionally stood down an effort to kill bin Laden. But as we know, like Bush, bin Laden is just a figurehead puppet of the same corporate transnational elites(see summer 2000, when Bin Laden was spotted falcon hunting with Dubai and Qatari royalty in the desert sands)

My question is, why isnt the media reporting on Historycommons, which blows the lid off 9/11 and so many other events.
8bitagent

Postby Searcher08 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:44 am

8bitagent wrote:My question is, why isnt the media reporting on Historycommons, which blows the lid off 9/11 and so many other events.

Hmmm.... that is a really interesting question in the light of NYT "journalists" meeting with the CIA prior to the Wikileaks data being released.

The way the PTB are responding to the Wikileaks event seems to mirror the response to the Gulf oil spill in many ways.
Pass the buck, act 'shocked' and point the blame finger, demand something must be done but do nothing, tighten the screws in random fashion, seek a scapegoat and torture it publicly as entertainment....

Perhaps the history commons site is perceived as a Niger delta oil spill, which only affects people (like the RI crowd) who they see as having no power, influence or money?
Searcher08

Postby Joe Hillshoist » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:13 am

History commons tracks documents in the public domain doesn't it?

Wikileaks, and other sites like Cryptome, bring documents into the public domain.

Thats a big difference and why this is news... no media organisation is gonna make news about an archive of all their old stories. Especially if they show a narrative thats against those media orgs other interests.
Joe Hillshoist

Postby elfismiles » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:25 am

Julian Assange, Daniel Ellsberg, and Ray McGovern will be interviewed today by Scott Horton on ANTI-WAR-RADIO
Image Image

Listen...

www.LRN.fm
www.AnomalyRadio.com
www.KaosRadioAustin.org

Podcasts will be posted

Here
http://antiwar.com/radio/

and Here
http://www.scotthortonshow.com

Meanwhile, a Video Guide by Julian on WhistleBlowing

Julian Assange: Whistleblower Guidelines (Video)
The Center for Investigative Journalism
http://www.tcij.org/whistleblower-guide ... 2-f6703762
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:52 am

elfismiles wrote:Julian Assange, Daniel Ellsberg, and Ray McGovern will be interviewed today by Scott Horton on ANTI-WAR-RADIO
Image Image

Listen...

http://www.LRN.fm
http://www.AnomalyRadio.com
http://www.KaosRadioAustin.org

Podcasts will be posted

Here
http://antiwar.com/radio/

and Here
http://www.scotthortonshow.com

Meanwhile, a Video Guide by Julian on WhistleBlowing

Julian Assange: Whistleblower Guidelines (Video)
The Center for Investigative Journalism
http://www.tcij.org/whistleblower-guide ... 2-f6703762

ImageImage
thank you elfis
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby elfismiles » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:10 pm

Yer quite welcome! :D

seemslikeadream wrote:
ImageImage
thank you elfis
elfismiles

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Sweejak » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:55 pm

Hmmm.... that is a really interesting question in the light of NYT "journalists" meeting with the CIA prior to the Wikileaks data being released.

Is there a link to that info.
I saw a AJ interview on RT, the first half is pretty good, where he says the NYT journos went to the "White House" to ask for what to do with the story.
Sweejak

Postby Sweejak » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:28 pm

Sweejak

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion