Assange Amazing Adventures of Captain Neo in Blonde Land.

Moderators: Elvis, DrVolin, Jeff

Re: Assange Amazing Adventures of Captain Neo in Blonde Land

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:15 am

OK

my bold

A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence
Reasoning: Extreme Right, Propaganda, Conspiracy, Nationalism, Some Fake News
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180

History

The Gateway Pundit is an extreme right news and opinion website that is not afraid of conspiracy theories and the occasional publication of falsehoods (see analysis). The website was founded by Jim Hoft in 2004 to “speak the truth” and to “expose the wickedness of the left.”

According to their about page “The Gateway Pundit is one of the top political websites. It is consistently ranked as one of the top political blogs in the nation. TGP has been cited by Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, The Drudge Report, The Blaze, Mark Levin, FOX Nation and by several international news organizations.”

Funded by / Ownership

The Gateway Pundit is owned by Jim Hoft and funded primarily through online advertising.

Analysis / Bias

In review, The Gateway Pundit demonstrates extreme right wing bias in story selection that always favors the right and denigrates the left. There is significant use of loaded emotional language in headlines such as this: President Trump RIPS INTO Peter Strzok After He’s Fired – Calls For Hillary ‘Sham Investigation’ to be ‘Properly Redone’. The Gateway Pundit is also fiercely dedicated to the promotion of Donald Trump. TGP always sources their information, but sometimes utilizes questionable sources such as Breitbart and Mike Cernovich, who both a have terrible track records with fact checkers.

The Gateway Pundit has published numerous false or conspiracy stories such as Hillary Clinton having a seizure, identifying an innocent person in the Las Vegas mass shooting and again identifying the wrong person after the motor vehicle homicide at the White Supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia. Further, TGP claimed the “FBI received tips well in advance of the Florida school shooting and decided, for whatever reason, not to act.” Finally, based on publishing false information, TGP has faced lawsuits for defamation and damages to innocent individuals.

A factual search reveals several failed fact checks by IFCN fact checkers. Here are a select few.

Anti-Trump Protesters Bused Into Austin, Chicago – FALSE
Did a Woman Say the Washington Post Offered Her $1,000 to Accuse Roy Moore of Sexual Abuse? – FALSE
‘Spooked’ Clinton Campaign Manager Deleted Tweets – FALSE
Fake news posts blame Puerto Rico’s truck drivers for refusing to ship relief supplies – PANTS ON FIRE
Overall, we rate The Gateway Pundit Questionable based on extreme right wing bias, promotion of conspiracies and numerous instances of publishing false (fake) news. (10/4/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 8/13/2018)
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-gateway-pundit/

now I have a better understanding...... good to get to know you alloneword....I really did like that lovely Russian tanker you posted
Mazars and Deutsche Bank could have ended this nightmare before it started.
They could still get him out of office.
But instead, they want mass death.
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Blog: View Blog (83)

Postby alloneword » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:30 am

On second thoughts, here's Cassandra Fairbanks' account in full:

EXCLUSIVE: Ecuador Imprisons US Journalist In Room As Ambassador Tells Assange to ‘Shut up’ and Accept Spying
by Cassandra Fairbanks March 26, 2019

It was meant to be a routine visit by a journalist to another journalist. Instead, I found myself locked in a cold, surveilled room for over an hour by Ecuadorian officials, as a furious argument raged between the country’s ambassador and Julian Assange on Monday.

The room was inside the Ecuadorian Embassy in London, where 2019 Nobel Peace Prize nominee Julian Assange currently lives under the ostensible protection of political asylum. Yet the WikiLeaks publisher was barred from entering the room, where he was supposed to join me for a pre-approved meeting, because he refused to submit to a full-body search and continuous surveillance.

In the fireworks that followed, Assange accused the ambassador of being an agent of the United States government.

The crackdown on visitors was felt before I even entered the embassy. It’s the third time I’ve visited in the past year, and each time the atmosphere seems progressively worse.

Just like my previous visit, since new rules for visitors were enacted, I couldn’t take my phone into the meeting without giving the Ecuadorian officials a swathe of data. If you want to take it in with you, they request its brand, model, serial number, IMEI number, and telephone number. I was also advised that Ecuador could not be trusted to hold my phone while I met with Assange, so I left it behind and walked to the embassy phoneless, several minutes early to make sure I was on time.

When I arrived, embassy staff checked my passport and letter of approval and pointed at the time on the letter. I was six minutes early. Instead of allowing me to wait inside, they told me to come back at the appropriate time — despite knowing that I did not have a phone or watch on me.

When I visited for the first time, which I believe was a year ago to the day, the atmosphere was far more welcoming. The staff and ambassador that were there during my first visit have since been replaced.

After being searched, the staff directed me into the conference room, where two large visible cameras were pointed at the table. Those were there last time too. I knew the drill — or so I thought. They reminded me multiple times that my visit was only approved until 5 p.m. and that I would need to leave on the dot.

“Just doing my job,” the staff member told me.

A few moments later Assange walked by the door, but could not enter. Embassy staff demanded that he submit to a full-body scan with a metal detector before allowing him in the room. They have not done this with any other visitor in the nearly seven years that he has lived there, including during my previous visits.

“I don’t want to do the body scan. It is undignified and not appropriate,” I heard Assange say. “I am just trying to have a private meeting with a journalist.”

The door was slammed shut by someone from the embassy. I decided to sit and wait.

Not only would they not let Assange in to see me without a body-scan, they also forced his lawyer to be scanned before he could come in to update me on the situation.

After roughly 20 minutes, the lawyer came in and informed me that they were demanding to search Assange. Moreover, we would not be permitted to talk anywhere outside the highly-surveilled room where the Ecuadorians had confined me. Agreeing to these draconian terms would set a bad precedent — so he was unsure if the meeting would go ahead. After appraising me of the situation, he left the room.

A bit later, I decided to leave the room myself for an update from embassy staff. I quickly discovered that the door was locked from the outside. So I went to the second door — that was locked too. That was when I realized that Ecuadorian officials had deliberately imprisoned me in a room.

As this ominous realization dawned on me, I heard a dramatic confrontation unfolding outside.

“What are you frightened of in relation to me meeting with a journalist? What is the embassy afraid of?” Assange asks. I can’t hear the response.

Assange is arguing that as a political refugee the embassy has a duty to protect him — not to treat him as a prisoner.

“Is this a prison?” Assange asks.

“It’s not,” they reply. “You know it’s not.”

The visit to the publisher had, in fact, become eerily similar to visits I have made to inmates at federal penitentiaries in the US. It seemed our government was getting what they wanted from Ecuador, as a former senior State Department official told Buzzfeed in January, “as far as we’re concerned, he’s in jail.”

Assange, clearly agitated, demands to know “why are you surveilling me speaking to a US journalist? Do you think it’s unreasonable for me to expect privacy when I meet with a journalist? Why are you silent?”

The embassy staff member responded that he “can’t say anything.”

“Why can’t you say anything? Don’t you have an excuse? What is the basis? Why are you surveilling an American journalist? What reason should we tell her?” Assange asks.

The conversation becomes hard to hear, as I am still locked in the room.

Assange’s lawyer is also being searched again outside the room, though I can only hear bits and pieces of that conversation. He comes back in with a glass of water and tells me to hang tight. I feel like a prisoner receiving a visit. Finally, someone from the embassy comes in and tells me that I need to go to the lobby so that the ambassador could meet with Assange in the room. The room with the cameras and the bugs.

I see Assange in passing in the lobby and say hi, but it’s cut short as he is directed to the conference room.

Still phoneless, I glance at a clock and notice that it’s 4:19pm. I was locked in the room for over an hour.

Sitting in the lobby I hear much of the conversation, so I begin to take notes.

“Is this a prison? This is how you treat a prisoner, not a political refugee!” Assange demands.

Ambassador Jaime Alberto Marchán retorts, saying it’s “for our protection, and to protect you!”

At this point, clearly frustrated, Assange asserts: “I am trying to have a private conversation with a journalist. I am also a journalist — and you’re stopping me from doing my work. How can I safely relay my mistreatment and the illegality going on here to this journalist while under surveillance?”

One of the issues, it seemed, is that Assange wanted to bring a small radio into the conference room to muffle our voices, so the microphones surveilling the room wouldn’t pick up what we were saying as easily. There also appears to be concern that he will share stories with other journalists now that they have him muzzled and gagged.

“You are preventing this journalist from meeting with me in any other room,” Assange says, but only part of the conversation is audible at this point as someone cleaning decided they needed to jingle keys and make a ton of noise for several minutes.

“You have been illegally surveilling me,” Assange sternly insists.

“I want you to shut up,” the ambassador says.

“I know you want me to shut up — the Ecuadorian president has already gagged me,” Assange fired back. “I am banned from producing journalism.”

Assange isn’t wrong. On March 28, 2018, Ecuador caved to pressure from the United States government to isolate Assange by revoking his right to have visitors, make phone calls or use the internet. In order to have his visits and internet restored, he was presented with a nine-page document that outlined limitations and restrictions on what he would be able to do and say online.

Ecuadorian President Lenín Moreno publicly said that Assange is gagged from writing “political opinion” including about US and Spanish policies. This obviously destroyed his ability to work as a journalist and publisher. He told AP: “if Mr. Assange promises to stop emitting opinions on the politics of friendly nations like Spain or the United States then we have no problem with him going online.” He and the foreign minister have publicly repeated the statement many times, even going as far as to say that Assange cannot talk about his treatment in the embassy.

Ecuador's president Moreno directly admits to AP he has isolated @JulianAsange for the last six months to prevent him from writing his opinions about US and Spanish policies https://t.co/KEMKAjLjus @davidakaye pic.twitter.com/RLt4Sex1G7

— Defend Assange Campaign (@DefendAssange) September 27, 2018

In an interview with El Pais in July, President Moreno also said that his “ideal solution” is that Assange may “enjoy” being “extradited,” if the UK promises that the US will not kill him.

The argument continued to escalate. Assange brought up the fact that Ecuador allowed people with diplomatic immunity to be questioned by the US government in January. It is, of course, highly unusual for a sovereign nation to permit foreign officials to question its diplomatic personnel over diplomatic work, the confidentiality of which is protected by international law.

“You are acting as an agent of the United States government and preventing me from speaking with a US journalist about these violations,” Assange demanded. “What kind of sovereign state allows its ambassadors to be interrogated by another nation? No self respecting state does that!”

“You have been working with the US government against me, it’s disgraceful! You are an agent of the US government, and there will be consequences for your illegal acts,” Assange continues.

He points out that the ambassador has put his own privacy at risk with his efforts to assist their spying on him. (For many years, there had been a white noise machine in the conference room, to protect the ambassador and other officials during sensitive conversations — it has now been removed).

“The embassy’s own equipment that was used to protect you was removed to help them [the U.S. government] spy on me.”

Ironically, if they still had that equipment in place I would not have overheard everything to be able to write this very article.

As the conversation intensified, the staff member who had answered the door and searched me noticed that I was taking notes and turned on a loud television. He kept turning the volume up until the conversation in the conference room was completely drowned out. He also turned on a loud fan, despite the fact that the embassy was very cold.

At around 4:45pm, Marchán and several other men stormed out of the conference room. I attempted to ask the ambassador if the Embassy’s behavior was specific to me, or if they planned to give all visitors the same sinister treatment. He ignored me and rushed into another room.

Finally, Assange comes out and I am able to give him a hug and speak to him briefly in the lobby. Unfortunately, there was only about eight minutes left of our two-hour scheduled visit time and the limit was still being enforced.

At 4:58, a member of the staff came over and informed us that if we want to talk, it must be done in the conference room and that we only have two minutes left. We stared at him blankly then began to say our goodbyes.

My departure was so rushed that I ended up leaving my passport in the embassy, but thankfully the staff ran out and gave it to me.

You can read more about the Stasi-style surveillance at the embassy in my article about our visit in January. More up-to-date background information about what is currently going on with WikiLeaks and Assange can be found here and here.

UPDATE: WikiLeaks has confirmed this story.

We have approached Julian Assange's legal team to confirm this story. They have confirmed each factual element. The most up to date general context is here: https://t.co/z5JQhPqivVhttps://t.co/6o55ftm6iI

— WikiLeaks (@wikileaks) March 26, 2019

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2019/0 ... r-meeting/
alloneword

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:31 am

NEWS FLASH ......I am not a right wing republican and I really really like Barrett Brown

ok so we are repeating ourselves now ...fine by me because this is really important since the critique of posting some links that members choose is forever in the dialogue I am made aware of it all the time

just so we all know where the pundit is coming from but make no mistake it is fine by me if you post any right wing links you want .....that is your right here

In review, The Gateway Pundit demonstrates extreme right wing bias in story selection that always favors the right and denigrates the left.
Reasoning: Extreme Right, Propaganda, Conspiracy, Nationalism, Some Fake News

Cassandra Fairbanks fits right in good to see Gateway publishing her but Gateway is not on my reading list

hopefully we are done repeating ourselves and can MOVE ON!

and I really did find this pic interesting

seemslikeadream » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:15 pm wrote:A tanker carrying Russian liquefied natural gas (LNG) has arrived in the US despite US-imposed sanctions against the company that produced it
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Grizzly » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:23 pm

The psychological campaign against Julian Assange, its origins & Maintenance: Dr Lissa Johnson
Please donate to the Chelsea Manning defence fund - https://actionnetwork.org/fundraising... Please donate to the Julian Assange /Wikileaks defence fund - https://www.gofundme.com/julian-assan.... Joe Lauria, Editor in Chief at Consortium News (https://consortiumnews.com/) & Elizabeth Lea Vos Elizabeth Lea Vos, Journalist and Co-host and Co-founder of #Unity4J - https://twitter.com/ElizabethleaVos Dr Lissa Johnson, a clinical psychologist qualified in Media Studies, with a major in Sociology, and a member of the Australian Psychological Society Public Interest Advisory Group, has a longstanding interest in the impact of psychology and social issues. In 'The New Matilda', Dr Lissa Johnson has written five articles on 'The Psychology of Getting Julian Assange'. https://newmatilda.com/author/lissa-j... https://twitter.com/LissaKJohnson To read the whole Assange series: PART 1: The Psychology Of Getting Julian Assange: What’s Torture Got To Do With It? https://newmatilda.com/2019/02/19/psy... PART 2: The Psychology Of Getting Julian Assange: The Court Of Public Opinion And The Blood-Curdling Untold Story https://newmatilda.com/2019/02/25/psy... PART 3: The Psychology of Getting Julian Assange – Wikileaks and Russiagate: Trust Us, We’re The CIA https://newmatilda.com/2019/03/02/psy... PART 4: The Psychology Of Getting Julian Assange: Why Even Some Lefties Want To See Him Hang https://newmatilda.com/2019/03/15/the... PART 5: The Psychology Of Getting Julian Assange: War Propaganda 101 https://newmatilda.com/2019/03/25/the... Tim Canova, a Democrat running for Congress in California, opposite Debbie Wasserman Schulz - https://timcanova.com/ Peter B Collins, radio host and writer provides analysis on important national and international issues, and interviews political leaders, journalists, authors. https://www.peterbcollins.com/ Source video: #Unity4J 22.0 Online Vigil in support of Julian Assange and WikiLeaks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9zze...
“The more we do to you, the less you seem to believe we are doing it.”

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:27 pm

contrary to the baseless accusation I take no pleasure in the fact that Chelsea is in contempt.....Assange has control of this and he could set her free ....like he promised he would

Assange is only thinking of himself and using Chelsea

Julian Assange Says Chelsea Manning Was Granted Clemency To Make Assange Look Like A Liar
Assange seems to want to have it both ways. He'd like to take credit for Manning's clemency, while also saying that he has no obligation to uphold an empty promise he made to leave the Ecuadorian embassy.
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/01/juli ... ke-a-liar/

Assange previously said that he would leave the embassy in London if whistleblower Chelsea Manning was released from prison. President Barack Obama commuted Manning’s sentence shortly before leaving office in 2017 but Assange went back on his promise

Julian Assange Accused of Leaking President of Ecuador's Private Family Photos
Matt Novak
Today 10:10am
Illustration for article titled Julian Assange Accused of Leaking President of Ecuador's Private Family Photos
Photo: Getty Images
Ecuador’s President Lenin Moreno has accused Julian Assange of violating the terms of his asylum and leaking private photos of Moreno’s family and friends online in the latest dust-up between the WikiLeaks founder and his increasingly frustrated hosts.

Speaking to the Ecuadorean Radio Broadcasters’ Association yesterday, Moreno suggested that Assange had been intercepting the president’s private messages and had even leaked “photos of my bedroom, what I eat, and how my wife and daughters and friends dance,” according to the Associated Press. Moreno reportedly provided no evidence of the hacking.

Assange has been holed up in Ecuador’s embassy in London since he jumped bail on sexual assault-related charges from Sweden in 2012. Those charges have since been dropped over a technicality, but Assange still considers himself a prisoner in the embassy despite the fact that he’s free to leave at any time. Assange has maintained for some time that he fears he’ll be extradited to the United States where prosecutors have filed unknown criminal charges against him.

The white-haired shit-stirrer also claims that he’s being silenced because his internet access in the embassy was abruptly cut off a year ago. Officials from Ecuador accused Assange of meddling in international politics before his internet access was taken away.

“Mr. Assange has violated the agreement we reached with him and his legal counsel too many times,” Moreno said, according to an English translation by Reuters. “It is not that he cannot speak and express himself freely, but he cannot lie, nor much less hack private accounts or phones.”

Back in January of 2018, Moreno called Assange a “nuisance” and an “inherited problem.” Ecuador’s previous president, Rafael Correa, was the one to originally grant Assange asylum and Moreno has seemed far less tolerant of Assange’s provocative behavior. WikiLeaks has suggested that Moreno’s real problem is that Ecuador’s alleged corruption has been exposed through the so-called INA Papers. Moreno is facing a corruption investigation brought by a rival lawmaker who suggests he took money from a Chinese company for a hydroelectric dam project. The money was allegedly laundered through a shell company in Panama, according to Venezuelan state media.

“If President Moreno wants to illegally terminate a refugee publisher’s asylum to cover up an offshore corruption scandal, history will not be kind,” WikiLeaks said in a statement to the Associated Press.

Assange, an Australian national, was given Ecuadorian citizenship in January of 2018 during an attempt to give him diplomatic immunity. Ecuador hoped that the move would allow Assange to leave the London embassy and find refuge in another country, but that plan failed.

Assange previously said that he would leave the embassy in London if whistleblower Chelsea Manning was released from prison. President Barack Obama commuted Manning’s sentence shortly before leaving office in 2017, but Assange went back on his promise and said that President Obama only did it to make Assange look like a liar. Last month, Manning was placed back in solitary confinement, a punishment considered to be torture by prisoner advocacy organizations, for refusing to answer grand jury questions about WikiLeaks.

WikiLeaks often tweets far-right talking points these days, and Assange has proved to be an unlikely ally of authoritarian-minded leaders around the world, like President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin. Assange has reportedly turned down dirt on the government of Russia, and the WikiLeaks Twitter account exchanged DMs with President Trump’s son Don Jr. in the lead up to the 2016 presidential election. That communication continued after the election as well, when WikiLeaks suggested that President Trump himself should appoint Assange to a position as an Australian government official.

“It would be real easy and helpful for your dad to suggest that Australia appoint Assange ambassador to DC,” the WikiLeaks account told Donald Trump Jr. via Twitter DM roughly a month after Trump won.

Assange’s worldview, already strange by any normal human standards, has led his behavior to become more and more bizarre the longer he stays in the embassy. As just one example, the WikiLeaks team released a statement this past January with a “confidential” list of things that journalists were forbidden from saying about Julian Assange. The list reads like the rantings of someone who’s truly unhinged.

Some things that journalists aren’t supposed to say about Assange, according to the list released by WikiLeaks:

It is false and defamatory to suggest that Julian Assange stinks.

It is false and defamatory to suggest that Julian Assange has ever tortured a cat or dog.

It is false and defamatory to suggest that Julian Assange does not use cutlery or does not wash his hands.

It is false and defamatory to suggest that Julian Assange lives, or has ever lived, in a basement, cupboard or under the stairs.

It is false and defamatory to suggest that Julian Assange has ever played soccer or used a skateboard during week days or office hours at the embassy.

It is false and defamatory to suggest that WikiLeaks or Julian Assange is tied to, or is close to, the Kremlin.

Assange will have been in the embassy for a full seven years this coming June. And it’s clearly taking a toll on him physically and mentally, as it would anybody. But Ecuador might be the only real friend he has left. And given the constant squabbling, that friendship looks like it’s about to break for good.

https://gizmodo.com/julian-assange-accu ... 1833770880
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Grizzly » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:42 pm

^^^ Whatever, Marci ... Madcow. (I was given permission see below). :jumping: :jumping:
Last edited by Grizzly on Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby seemslikeadream » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:44 pm

why yes of course you can even call me emptywheel if you want .....whatever :lol:

now Cassandra Fairbanks .....I would consider that a disgusting comparison...a huge insult

:shrug: :shrug:
Julian Assange 'stands by' extradition deal pledge after Chelsea Manning release
https://news.sky.com/story/julian-assan ... e-10733049

take Assange at his word?
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby MacCruiskeen » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:09 pm

That gizmodio screed is just nauseating.

gizmodo wrote:Assange’s worldview, already strange by any normal human standards, has led his behavior to become more and more bizarre the longer he stays in the embassy.

Thus spake Dr Ewen Cameron, and thus spake Dr Josef Mengele.

Yet another contemptible post in a wholly inexcusable thread, crowing and snickering at Assange's plight.
"Ich kann gar nicht so viel fressen, wie ich kotzen möchte." - Max Liebermann,, Berlin, 1933

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, NYC, 1966

TESTDEMIC ➝ "CASE"DEMIC
MacCruiskeen

Postby alloneword » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:09 pm

WikiLeaks Says Assange Can be Expelled ‘Within Hours’
April 4, 2019

In a tweet, Wikileaks quoted a high-level Ecuadorian government source as saying that Julian Assange could be imminently kicked out of the London embassy and that Quito has an agreement with the UK to arrest him.

WikiLeaks warned in a tweet on Thursday that its founder “will be expelled within ‘hours to days.'” The government will use the pretext of a scandal engulfing President Lenin Moreno to oust Assange, a “high level source” in the Ecuador government told WikiLeaks.

Moreno has accused WikiLeaks of leaking documents allegedly implicating him and his family in a corruption scheme with a Panamanian investment firm, INA Investments Corp. WikiLeaks has denied being behind the leaks and no documents related to the scandal appear on its website. Moreno said the alleged leak by WikiLeaks is a breach in a “protocol” agreement with Assange that allows him to remain in the London embassy in exchange for his public silence on all political matters.

Because of this so-called “breach,” Assange will be made to leave the embassy and would be arrested by British authorities. Assange has been a refugee inside the embassy since 2012, fearing that if he were to be arrested the UK would extradite him to the United States to stand trail for publishing classified information.

https://consortiumnews.com/2019/04/04/w ... hin-hours/

https://twitter.com/wikileaks
alloneword

Postby Grizzly » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:37 pm

I'm sure some here are ok with that... Torture away...

https://www.gofundme.com/wikileaks-suing-the-guardian-over-manafort-story

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby alloneword » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:32 am

WikiLeaks has obtained agreed Assange press strategy

1. UK lead

2. Ecuador will say Assange has broken many of its invented "asylum terms"

3. UK will say won't let US kill Assange, due process.

Ecuador will pretend that this is a concession and that asylum was for death penalty.

https://twitter.com/wikileaks
alloneword

Postby seemslikeadream » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:14 pm

NO one here is ok with torture....no need for making awful accusations like that about anyone here ...it is just not nice....unwarranted....groundless ....baseless and inexcusable

Ecuadorian officials deny WikiLeaks' claim that Julian Assange is about to be kicked out its embassy in London
https://www.businessinsider.com/ecuador ... ssy-2019-4
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby seemslikeadream » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:52 am

Blackmailers threaten release of Julian Assange’s embassy ‘sex secrets’
Allies say Wikileaks founder lives in real-life version of The Truman Show

John Simpson, Crime Correspondent
April 11 2019, 12:01am,
The Times

Blackmailers threatened to reveal sexual secrets of Julian Assange’s life inside the Ecuadorean embassy as part of a €3 million extortion attempt, it was claimed yesterday.

Security footage and audio from inside the Knightsbridge embassy had found its way into the hands of criminals, his Wikileaks group said.

The leak inflamed tensions between Mr Assange and his hosts, who want him out of the premises at which he has been living since 2012. Officials were said last week to be hours away from forcing him to leave, but Wikileaks claimed yesterday to have averted the eviction by alerting the media.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/blac ... -mrqlk8ls2

Spanish police ‘recover Julian Assange surveillance footage’
Material that originated from Ecuadorian embassy was reportedly offered for sale
Ben Quinn
@BenQuinn75
Wed 10 Apr 2019 13.34 EDT First published on Wed 10 Apr 2019 08.11 EDT

Former consul of Ecuador to London Fidel Narváez, WikiLeaks editor-in-chief Kristinn Hrafnsson and barrister Jennifer Robinson at a news conference where surveillance video of Julian Assange is played.
A WikiLeaks news conference where surveillance video of Julian Assange is played. Photograph: Henry Nicholls/Reuters
WikiLeaks has said it has uncovered a surveillance operation against Julian Assange at the Ecuadorian embassy and that images, documents and videos gathered have been offered for sale.

Spanish police were said to have mounted a sting operation against unnamed individuals in Madrid who offered the material for sale in what lawyers and colleagues of Assange said on Wednesday was an attempt at extortion.

Some of the material came from video cameras with a capacity to record audio and which had been installed last year, a press conference organised by WikiLeaks was told.

WikiLeaks said material including video, audio, copies of private legal documents and a medical report had turned up in Spain, where a group was said to have threatened to start publishing unless they were paid €3m (£2.6m).

The Guardian reported last year that Ecuador had bankrolled a multimillion-dollar surveillance operation to protect and support Assange at the embassy, employing an international security company and undercover agents to monitor his visitors, embassy staff and even the British police.

Kristinn Hrafnsson, the editor-in-chief of WikiLeaks, said he had met four individuals, one of whom he was told was a ringleader and who had prior convictions. There was a possibility that at least one was not a Spanish national, he added. The matter is now in the hands of an investigating Spanish magistrate, according to the whistleblowing website.

Hrafnsson said the surveillance at the embassy – which had led to Assange living a “Truman Show existence” – was part of an escalation designed to result in Assange being extradited to the US.

“If you connect the dots it’s easy to draw that picture,” said Hrafnsson, who was appearing with the barrister Jennifer Robinson and Fidel Narváez, a former consul of Ecuador in London.

It remained unclear whether Assange was planning to leave the embassy of his own accord at any point soon. His legal team said they would still need assurances from the UK government that Assange would not face onward extradition to the US.

WikiLeaks said the surveillance had constituted a total invasion of privacy, which had included recordings of Assange’s meetings with his lawyers and doctor.

Robinson, a lawyer at Doughty Street Chambers who has long advised Assange, described the surveillance as a severe breach of lawyer-client privilege, which had undermined the ability of his legal team to properly defend their client.

Copies of photos, videos and documents recovered from the alleged extortionists were projected on to a screen at the press conference. There was no immediate comment from Ecuadorian authorities or Spanish police.

In March last year, Ecuador cut off Assange’s internet connection, saying he had breached an agreement not to issue messages that might interfere with other states. In a statement, the government said his behaviour on social media “put at risk the good relations [Ecuador] maintains with the United Kingdom, with the other states of the European Union, and with other nations”.

Supporters of Assange gathered outside the embassy in central London last Friday after the organisation said its sources in Ecuador had revealed he could be removed from the building “within hours to days”.

Ecuador’s foreign ministry released a statement last week saying it “doesn’t comment on rumours, theories or conjectures that don’t have any documented backing”, but a senior Ecuadorian official said no decision had been made.

WikiLeaks believes Assange would be extradited to the US if he left the building and was arrested by the Metropolitan police on an outstanding warrant for failing to surrender to bail.

In his first year in office, Ecuador’s president, Lenín Moreno, called Assange a “hacker”, an “inherited problem” and a “stone in the shoe”.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/ ... an-embassy

BRITAIN, ECUADOR, HUMAN RIGHTS, INTELLIGENCE, LEGAL, MEDIA, U.S., WIKILEAKS
Spanish Police Probe Extortion Scheme Involving Surveillance on Assange
April 10, 2019 • 8 Comments
Save
UPDATED: Suspects are being investigated in Spain for having tried to extort €3 million from WikiLeaks in exchange for a huge cache of documents and surveillance videos of Assange inside Ecuador’s London embassy, including with his doctors and lawyers.

By Joe Lauria
Special to Consortium News

A Spanish judge is investigating an alleged extortion scheme in which suspects in Madrid offered video and audio surveillance to the editor of WikiLeaks in exchange for €3 million, WikiLeaks said on Wednesday.

The surveillance was taken over the past year inside the Ecuador embassy in London, where WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has legally been granted political asylum since 2012, said Kristinn Hrafnsson, the WikiLeaks editor, at a press conference in the British capital. Included in the “trove” of material was a copy of a legal document regarding Assange’s defense strategy that was briefly left behind in a conference room in the embassy, Hrafnsson said.

“It is a grave and serious concern when legal meetings are being spied upon and legal documents are stolen,” he said. “That is something that not even prisoners have to endure.”

Assange was also filmed being examined by his doctor in the embassy, Hrafnsson said. “Nobody expected that this was recorded and stored and found its way to some dubious individuals in Spain,” he said.

Fidel Narváez, Kristinn Hrafnsson and Jennifer Robinson at Wednesday’s press conference. (Ruptly/YouTube screenshot.)
Jennifer Robinson, Assange’s lawyer, called it a breach of attorney-client privilege. “The documents you have seen [presented at the press conference] demonstrates just how much surveillance he has been under and it is a breach of confidence for us, his lawyers, and his doctors to provide medical care in the embassy,” Robinson said. “This is a severe breach of attorney-client privilege and fundamentally undermines our ability to defend and provide defense to Julian Assange.”

Hrafnsson communicated with the alleged extortioners and was given samples of what they possessed, the WikiLeaks editor said. He then traveled to Spain and secretly videotaped a meeting with “four individuals” in which Hrafnsson learned the extent of the material that they possessed. They told them him that €3 million was “a good deal” as they had had offers of €9 million for the material. Hrafnsson then went to the Spanish police who opened an investigation. He said he knew the identity of one of the four who had a prior conviction on similar charges and was seen as the “ringleader.”

Sting Operation

Aitor Martinez, the Assange lawyer who said he’d briefly left the legal document in the embassy conference room that was copied, then took part in a sting operation with the police. He wore a wire as he met with the alleged extortioners in Madrid, Hrafnsson said. A full investigation by a special extortion team was then opened and the case is now in the hands of an investigative judge, he said.

“Extortion is a serious matter,” Hrafnsson said, “but of greater concern to me is that this is material gathered by spying by the government of Lenin Moreno and officials who work on his behalf against an individual who was granted diplomatic protection by the Ecuadorian government.”

In an apparent reference to Moreno, Hrafnsson said: “We know from reports that this is the work of one person to service the interests of the United States government who want to indict and imprison a publisher for the crime of publishing truthful material.”

Robinson said WikiLeaks would file a “fresh complaint” to the UN special rapporteur on privacy rights, who has said he will visit Assange on April 25. The UN Special Rapporteur on Torture Nils Melzer will also visit Assange that day, WikiLeaks said.

Robinson criticized the British government for being poised to arrest and extradite Assange to the United States. “That a government would cooperate with another state to extradite a publisher for publishing truthful information outside its territory sets a dangerous precedent here in the UK and elsewhere,” she said. “No one can deny that risk. That is why he sought asylum in the Ecuadorian embassy.”

Fidel Narváez, the former Ecuadorian consul at the embassy who said he saw Assange everyday for six years, told the press conference: “I very much hope that what we presented today will break the shield that currently the Ecuadorian government has built in my country…aided by the Ecuadorian press that is not doing what it should do to challenge and question the government.” He added: “There is lots of misinformation about Julian’s asylum but one thing is clear: the new government of Ecuador is not protecting Julian Assange anymore as it should.”

Diplomat Fired

On Friday WikiLeaks tweeted that a “high-level” source in the Ecuador government told WikiLeaks that Assange’s expulsion and arrested would come in “hours to days.” That set off a worldwide reaction of Assange supporters as well as by the UN special rapporteurs. Heavily armed police have roamed the environs of the embassy, and people in unmarked cars have been parked outside, either as a form of intimidation or on standby waiting for orders to move in.

“The only reason it hasn’t happened yet is because of the international shame that will be attached to Ecuador if it does so,” Narváez said. “The government is clearly building a case to end the asylum and what we’ve seen here is the basis for that.”

WikiLeaks on Tuesday said that Ecuador had fired a diplomat from the embassy, accusing him of being “close” to Assange. The tweet implied that the diplomat may have been WikiLeak’s source about Assange’s imminent expulsion and arrest.

The central question that remains is who had access to the surveillance material and then transferred it to the alleged extortioners. “I don’t know very much about that,” Hrafnsson said. “I assume that will be part of the investigation by the Spanish police authorities and by the Spanish lawyers. However we do have more material that I recorded in Spain and it will possibly cast more light on that chain—how it ended up in Spain. We will make it available online shortly. [But] I don’t want to speculate how that came about.”

The Ecuadorian government had prime possession of surveillance and the British and U.S. governments could have also obtained it, given their close contacts with Ecuador on Assange. However there would be little apparent motive for these governments to have made the surveillance known.

“Let’s remember that Julian Assange is not serving a sentence, he doesn’t have charges,” Narváez said. “He is a political refugee. Political refugees do not lose rights. On the contrary, they should have their rights protected.”

The following is the full video of the one-hour press conference held in London on Wednesday:

Joe Lauria is editor-in-chief of Consortium News and a former correspondent for The Wall Street Journal, Boston Globe, Sunday Times of London and numerous other newspapers. He can be reached at joelauria@consortiumnews.com and followed on Twitter @unjoe .

https://consortiumnews.com/2019/04/10/s ... n-assange/
Don’t forget that.
seemslikeadream

Postby Grizzly » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:53 am

So, I don't get it, are you for or against Julian Assange, slad?

― Joseph mengele
Grizzly

Postby RocketMan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:19 am

Grizzly » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:53 am wrote:So, I don't get it, are you for or against Julian Assange, slad?

I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who think torture and legally sketchy imprisonment are abhorrent IN THEORY, but are silently pleased at the prospect of Assange being frogmarched out of the embassy and into a waiting prisoner transport to the US and some legal black hole. I suppose being an asshole is enough for some people to indict.
-I don't like hoodlums.
-That's just a word, Marlowe. We have that kind of world. Two wars gave it to us and we are going to keep it.
RocketMan

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion